Royal Pedic opinions
Aug 27, 2010 1:10 PM
I am considering their all cotton mattress, any thoughts ?
Re: Royal Pedic opinions
Reply #1 Aug 27, 2010 1:33 PM
Is the entire mattress cotton?  If so, think futon - gets hard from compaction over time.
Reply #2 Aug 27, 2010 1:34 PM
no its an intercoil system
Reply #3 Aug 27, 2010 3:39 PM
Here are details on the construction.   It seems like a high quality in the mattress and the box spring.  Pretty expensive though from what I have seen.  The all cotton one is their firmest.  Personally I would love to try one of their softer ones with a bit of natural latex.  I assume you are looking for something pretty firm?

Budgy, our most knowledgable retailer, has recommended this brand before.  Have you been able to try it in a store?  I am not aware of anyone on this forum that owns one of these.

Reply #4 Aug 27, 2010 3:47 PM
Thanks !

Yes it seems quite pricey, and I would need to try one first for sure. I am looking for something firm with very little foam in the top

Reply #5 Aug 27, 2010 4:54 PM
I think there some Royal Pedic dealers near Washington D.C.  You may also want to consider small local makers.  Not sure you figure out who has a good product, but maybe some googling would help.  As someone else suggested, the orginal Mattress factory.  You can look at their website.   Probably not the quality or Royal Pedic, but maybe it would work for you.   The thing to avoid is the polyurethane foam - you want as little (or ideally none) as possible.
Reply #6 Aug 27, 2010 8:35 PM
Couldn't find their prices,but you didn't ask about that...I think that the quilt top looks like a more comfortable bed...just like the one you asked about but with a layer of latex too.  These look like very nice beds, very high quality, should last a good long while...but make sure the one you pick is comfortable.  Everyone is different.  Even the best mattress in the world will be uncomfortable if it isn't the best fit for your needs.

Kait

Reply #7 Aug 28, 2010 7:37 AM
thanks ! I did find a place to test out a royal pedic , will let you know what I think once I do it
Reply #8 Aug 28, 2010 1:20 PM
looking forward to your first impression.  I personally have not even tried one out, but I would imagine the all cotton mattress is going to be FIRM.  But yeah the construction really is top notch.
Reply #9 Aug 29, 2010 4:36 PM
Ok,  so I found a dealer in my are who had the royal pedic all cotton mattress in stock, and my wife and I went to try it out.

Here are my initial reactions :

1. It appears to be extremely well crafted , looks and feels like a handmade work of art.

2. very firm and comfortable.

3. Very expensive.

4. Dealer said Royal pedic would not honor the warranty if I did not buy the box springs

I am still researching beds , but if not for the price I would buy it right now !  Just not sure if I can justify the the expense

Reply #10 Aug 29, 2010 6:22 PM
Yes, I just searched prices, and they are even more expensive than I thought.  Some quote just the price of the mattress, but when you add a box spring a queen goes for over $3600.  It is possible they will negotiate with you some, but hard to say how much.

To a certain extent you get what you pay for.  If you buy an S brand you will get lower quality and may never be satisfied with it.

Not sure what the middle ground is.  Possibly a local mattress maker can make you a quality product,  if you can find one.  If you are willing to go all latex, then you have some quality options for less money.

Recent Posts