Room and Board Mattress Review
May 31, 2011 10:22 AM
Hi, 

I've been a lurker on this site for a few weeks - I recently moved to NYC and my wife and I wanted to upgrade from our Full to a Queen.  We went to a few places in the city and tried out a large number of mattresses, but we weren't blown away by any of them.  I did a lot of reading on this site, and while we both liked the feel of latex (highly recommended here), it was more than we wanted to spend.  We budgeted around $850 for the mattress, and we didn't need a boxspring because we have a platform bed.  We almost went with us-mattress, but were hesitant about buying a mattress without actually laying down on the thing.  

In the end, we went with the basic firm innerspring mattress from Room and Board, and we're happy with our decision.  After a week and a half of sleeping on it we're both used to the feel of it, and we've decided we don't need a latex topper at this point.  

Just wanted to say how happy we are with it.  It was only $580 with tax and delivery, it's made in America by a family-owned mattress company out in the Midwest, and it does the job just fine.  I spent so much time worrying about mattresses that I'm glad I finally bit the bullet and bought what I was comfortable with.  I'll update this in a month or so if the feel of the thing starts to change. 

Re: Room and Board Mattress Review
Reply #1 May 31, 2011 6:24 PM
Glad you found a mattress that you love. In the end all that matters is how you feel about your purchase. Please keep us posted.
Reply #2 May 31, 2011 7:38 PM
Room and Board actually has quite a few people reviews for that mattress.  As I've said before, everybody loves their new mattress, but how will it feel 3-5 years down the road?
Reply #3 May 31, 2011 9:03 PM
sleepswithcats wrote:

Room and Board actually has quite a few people reviews for that mattress.  As I've said before, everybody loves their new mattress, but how will it feel 3-5 years down the road?

That is correct.  Many people LOVE their mattresses after a few weeks or even months.  My Simmons Beautirest was great for the first 9 months, then it started sagging and deteriorating.   After a year, I was starting to have back pain and after 1.5 years, it had to go.  Not a very good investment for the money I spent on it.  I won't make that mistake again....buying a mattress with Poly foam in the top comfort layers, whether it is a pillow top or just a typical "S" brand mattress built for planned obsolescence.

Reply #4 Jan 4, 2012 1:33 PM
Hi --

Glad you've been lurking around here!

I am very interested in your review.  It's timely, because I think I may be buying a Room and Board mattress in the next day or so and want to see how you like yours, several months later.

As I've mentioned in many previous comments, my boyfriend and I have been through Mattress Buying Hell the last few months.

Briefly, we are about to exchange/return our new Stearns & Foster pillowtop King (from Sleep TrainWreck).  Reasons: We both feel like the pillowtop is really "mushy".

The mattress is very heavy and thick (hard to make the bed) -- we already had to lower it once with a mini-boxspring.

But the biggest complaint is that the mattress is too hot.  It's a Latex mattress.  I have never had this problem before with a traditional bed.

And I know that Latex is not supposed to be hot.  But...it is.  And now I am afraid that ANY foam bed will have the same problem.

We are now considering either one of the Room and Board mattresses - BUT - they also have Latex in them.  And I have read reviews that they

are very firm -- which we don't want.

Our only other option is an uber-expensive luxury mattress (all cotton, old-fashioned construction) from a local firm, McCroskey.   But it's hard to justify spending another $2500 on TOP of the $3K we've already spent.  On the other hand, I think that mattress will never be too warm.

I am really tired of dealing with the whole topic -- just want it solved!

Any input is much appreciated.  I don't check this site frequently, so feel free to email me directly: marciejudelson@comast.net

Thanks!!

Best,

Marcie in San Francisco

Reply #5 Jan 4, 2012 1:37 PM
Boopboopadoop wrote:

Hi --

Glad you've been lurking around here!

I am very interested in your review.  It's timely, because I think I may be buying a Room and Board mattress in the next day or so and want to see how you like yours, several months later.

As I've mentioned in many previous comments, my boyfriend and I have been through Mattress Buying Hell the last few months.

Briefly, we are about to exchange/return our new Stearns & Foster pillowtop King (from Sleep TrainWreck).  Reasons: We both feel like the pillowtop is really "mushy".

The mattress is very heavy and thick (hard to make the bed) -- we already had to lower it once with a mini-boxspring.

But the biggest complaint is that the mattress is too hot.  It's a Latex mattress.  I have never had this problem before with a traditional bed.

And I know that Latex is not supposed to be hot.  But...it is.  And now I am afraid that ANY foam bed will have the same problem.

We are now considering either one of the Room and Board mattresses - BUT - they also have Latex in them.  And I have read reviews that they

are very firm -- which we don't want.

Our only other option is an uber-expensive luxury mattress (all cotton, old-fashioned construction) from a local firm, McCroskey.   But it's hard to justify spending another $2500 on TOP of the $3K we've already spent.  On the other hand, I think that mattress will never be too warm.

I am really tired of dealing with the whole topic -- just want it solved!

Any input is much appreciated.  I don't check this site frequently, so feel free to email me directly: marciejudelson@comast.net

Thanks!!

Best,

Marcie in San Francisco

Just wondering if yo got your money back from Sleep Train... I heard they have a 100% money back guarantee... just wondering if you pushed the issue or not and got your money back...

Recent Posts