Reviews on IComfort Prodigy--Please!!
Jul 22, 2011 4:26 PM
I recently purchased the IComfort Revolution and have had it about 30 days.  I am not sleeping any better than with my old mattress and I feel it still may be too firm.  It feels really soft when I sit on it but I still feeling pressure (side sleeper) when I am lying down.  I have back problems and they are definitely not any better (possibly a little worse).  I am 63, 5'2" and 139 lbs.

I was orignally going to purchase the Prodigy but the salesperson suggested I get the less expensive Revolution and if I don't like it then upgrade to the Prodigy.  This will cost an additional $500 and if I don't that one--I'm stuck.  I haven't seen any reviews on the Prodigy model.

When the Revolution was delivered it did NOT have any odor. It DID feel like the one in the store but sleeping on it is not the same as testing it for 10-15 minutes.

One poster felt the Revolution was the softest and most plush of the IComforts.  But the Serta website says the Prodigy is the most plush.  I would love to get some opinions before I switch beds.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Reviews on IComfort Prodigy--Please!!
Reply #2 Jul 22, 2011 9:06 PM
Thanks for your input.  Are you able to return the Revolution for something else, and if so, what is your next step?  I have almost three more months to make a decision.   
Reply #3 Jul 23, 2011 11:06 AM
dg219 wrote:

Thanks for your input.  Are you able to return the Revolution for something else, and if so, what is your next step?  I have almost three more months to make a decision.   

I changed my post a lot.  I'm still figuring out this Revolution bed.  Only had it 1 1/2 weeks, so I'll hold off on too much commentary.

Sears policy is 30 days to refund.  I already used my 1 time exchange to go from a S&F to this Rev, so if I can't get with the Revolution, I'll go for a refund.

At this point, I can say this Revolution (and most likely all real memory foam) is unlike any other bed I've slept on.  The feel can change quite a bit because it's temperature sensitive.

Reply #4 Nov 9, 2011 11:22 AM

The Prodigy mattress is pathetic! I weigh 260 pounds and in 5 weeks my Prodigy Queen turned into mush! In the store and for the first week it was wonderful. My back loved it! I changed sides every 2-3 days to equalize wear but it still turned into mush in 5 weeks. This bed now sleeps like a hammock. If I sit on the edge of the bed it collapses to 1/3 of the normal thickness. How's that for support? Getting out of bed in the morning is a chore. It's like crawling out of a hole! DO NOT BUY THE ICOMFORT PRODIGY IF YOU WEIGH OVER 100-125 POUNDS! My dealer is going to replace it with the Genius (firmest icomfort they make) under the 120 day replacement plan. Serta is being cute and is going to allow me the sale price on the Prodigy and charge me full retail on the Genius, effectively picking my pocket for $225. So much for the the 120 day replacement plan!

Apparently all memory foam mattresses soften with use so it is wise to buy firmer than you think is necessary.

Date Purchased: 11/2011
Price Paid: $2274
Recommend: No

Reply #5 Nov 28, 2011 2:29 PM
I am 39 and have spondylosis from sporting injuries and slight scoliosis that was not discovered when I was a child. I sometimes suffer from debilitating lower back and shoulder pains even with routine chiropractic treatments. Our old mattress was your typical FIRM spring mattress. For the past few years my arms and legs were going numb during the night. I just assumed it was from the back injury and never thought it could be the mattress until one night I decided to sleep on the guest bedrooms cushy, pillow top mattress..... I ended up moving in there for a couple of weeks. No more numbness. At my age I never thought a mattress would matter so much.

So we decided to upgrade our king mattress.  Many of our friends own Tempur-Pedic mattresses and 3/4 of them are unhappy with them so although we shopped for alternatives we only tested a few brands. The iComfort's (in the store) seemed to have the widest variety of comfort levels, long term warranty and a good return policy. 

My partner and I prefer two different types of mattress.  He prefers firm and I prefer soft (because it appeared to help alleviate the pressure points).   We both agreed that the Prodigy seemed to be plush and firm at the same time (because of the dual layers).  So we decided to purchase (2) twin XL iComfort Prodigy Mattresses and (2) Serta Motion Comfort Adjustable Bases.  This way I could sleep part of the night on zero gravity relieving a lot of the tension in my lower back and he could position himself to watch TV with headphones on while I slept.

I expected the mattresses to arrive shrink wrapped and compressed like the memory foam mattresses that you see at  most of the local big box stores; but, they did not.  They had minimal odor, were full size and ready to sleep on.

I won’t lie, it is a bit odd sleeping on separated beds at our age but I am a light sleeper and every time he moved on the old mattress or would get out of bed during the night I would wake up.  Now, I don’t even know that he is in the same room unless he is snoring.  These mattresses are ultra-quiet and do not make a sound unless you are raising/lowering the adjustable base or are using the massager….. (which by the way puts me right to sleep).

We both weigh between 175 and 200 lbs.  For the first few nights, the mattresses were pretty firm…. Making me think that I had made a big mistake.  However, I remember someone had told me to “walk” on the mattress to break it in.  And so I did... and it was a chore.  The mattress has a lot of resilience so after a minute or two my knees began to ache.   The process did, however, make a big difference.

As of today, we have only slept on the mattresses for 11 nights.   I have noticed that with each passing night that the mattress is getting more comfortable.  I don’t  have the numbness in my arms, hands and legs like I did from the old firm mattress but I am still getting back aches during the night but not like I was.   I am awaiting the iComfort Scrunch Pillows to come in the mail tomorrow (free by rebate) and hoping that they will make more of a difference.

So far, it’s still firmer than I would have liked it to have been but I am hoping that it does break in more.  If not, there is one more level up but the retail store did not have a floor model to try.

Also, just as an FYI, we purchased the mattress from an online retailer that offered a 20% store coupon which was able to be applied to Serta Products and ordered the Motion Comfort Bases from a local retailer because they offered 0% financing.   The local retail stores in our area all have ‘fixed’ Serta prices and wouldn’t negotiate. 

I will update this again in a few more weeks.

This message was modified Nov 28, 2011 by jaxheat
Reply #6 Jan 22, 2012 9:11 AM
I've had my Prodigy for one week now.  I trialed the Tempurpedic mattresses in the store but felt that this mattress was comparable and was priced lower.  After trialing the Tempurdepedic mattresses and the i Comfort mattresses for hours I decided on this one as it seemed supportive but not too firm and not too soft. I was looking for a firm mattress initially but many of them felt like you were lying on a brick.  I have a history of lower back pain and had heard that memory foam mattresses, particularly the Tempurpedic ones, were very good for your back.  As far as my impressions of the Prodigy after one week of sleeping on it:  there was no smell at all when delivered.  It is very comfortable overall but I do wake up with lower back pain at times and sometimes upper back pain. However, it is better than how I felt after sleeping on my previous mattress.  The pain is inconsistent. Yesterday I woke up in pain and today I did not.  I do think that my mattress is getting softer with use.  I don't know if that's a good thing as I want it to remain supportive and was not looking for a soft mattress.  I believe the Prodigy is a bit firmer than the Revolution, although from the Serta ads and from what the salesperson at the mattress store said, this one is supposed to be softer. I don't believe that. I am deciding if I should exchange this mattress for a Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme (that is $500 more than the Prodigy).  My reason being that I did not read reviews prior to purchasing this mattress and was reading reviews on the i Comfort mattresses yesterday (mostly about the Revolution style) but am now concerned about how this mattress will hold up over the long term.  The i Comfort mattresses are relatively new and the Tempurpedic mattresses have been out for awhile.  Most people I know who own a Tempurpedic mattress love it.  FYI, the store I purchased this mattress from said that Serta sets the prices and there is no negotiating, but you can get them to throw in bonuses---I received two Tempurpedic Cloud pillows for free (which sell for $129 each, and are wonderful!) and the store typically charges for removal of your old mattress/boxspring, and they waived that charge for me.  I hope this review has been  helpful.
Reply #7 Jan 24, 2012 8:16 PM
Hi.. I am 2 weeks into the Prodigy.. it is replacing a defective 2 year Springfree Sealy latex which I loved, however they do not make them anymore.  This Prodigy ended up costing me another 1500 on top of my credit from the latex..Unreal..to say the least.   I just went back to the store today to express how uncomfortable I am on this mattress and they told me to keep it for at least another 2 weeks to let it condition to my body.  I was told to walk on it to soften it.  It is soft where my hips and back and head lie but my legs seems to have noplace to be cushioned.  I am a stomach sleeper and in that position from my knee down to my foot seems to be suspended in air.  Thus leg pain has now become a new way of life.   I want to love this mattress as I am so frustrated with the entire mattress industry.  So many choices and so many bad reviews on all of them.   I also have noticed that I am tossing and turning all night with no decent sleep whatsoever..My husband can sleep on anything and he never tossed or turned on the latex but several times a night I notice he is tossing all over the place.  However he likes the mattress!!   I never had a disturbing smell to the mattress on arrival.  I do seem to get hot during the night kicking off the sheets and comforter and then it goes away.  I struggled with the decision to buy this beast and now am thinking it was a big mistake and perhaps I just needed a good coil bed..wondering if all this hype on memory foam and latex is just another way to boost prices for the consumer..  I did a ton of research on memory foam and found much to be said for helping hip and sciatica problems and back issues, which I have my share off, but up to last night I cannot see where this bed has helped me in any way.  I do wish Serta made this bed with a softer tuffted top for comfort and then the memory foam for support.. something is missing and cannot put my finger on it.   I am also waiting for my free pillows..   I will re-post on this site in another 2 weeks to tell of my progress or plight....Just had to write after I saw some conversation on this mattress, wanted to share my experience.. Good luck to all my fellow shoppers in the hope of finding the right mattress.
Reply #8 Feb 4, 2012 1:53 PM
I've had the prodigy for over 7 months now and LOVE IT!!!  Some of what I read here seems to be complaints about things that really aren't the mattress's fault.  For instance, when you sit on memory foam, YES it does compress, but when you lay down on it, it's balances you out.  The Prodigy is SUPER soft, yes, so if you want something more firm, then buy the revolution, don't blame the prodigy for being a soft mattress when it's supposed to be.

I love mine, i have a bad back (surgery 5 years ago) and I have RA.  So I need support and soft for both of those problems and the prodigy has worked.  I have reduced my pain and arthritis meds down over $130 a month, so bascially I have paid for my bed!  I do have the adjustable, which I know helps a ton.  I rarely toss at night any more, if I move positions once, it's usually because I got up to go the bathroom.  Otherwise I wake up exactly where I went to sleep.  I did a ton of research before buying this, and laid on beds for hours at a time in stores, and this was the only one that didn't hurt my back and my hips.  

I also seem to notice that most people online complain about beds, but rarely do you see compliments.  I think this hurts people trying to buy because all they see is complaints and very little positive posts.  IT's a shame.  like I mentioned before, it seems most people's complaints are about the product not doing something that it's not supposed to (not in all cases but many)  If you want a very firm bed, prodigy is NOT the answer.  If you are a side sleeper, and want some cushion, then the prodigy is likely going to be good.

It's a shame that some of you had to deal with bed stores that don't believe in customer service. The place I purchased was awesome to deal with and explained all the products very well which helped me make a good decision.

good luck

Reply #9 Feb 5, 2012 4:13 PM
Hi Circopy....well another week or 2 has gone by and I think the Prodigy is getting better, or I am allowing myself to do with what I have.  The people I dealt with were very informative about the different I Comforts.. and they put me on the Prodigy because it has alittle latex in it to keep it firmer.   I had laid on the Revolution and in the store it was quite a bit softer than the Prodigy..and while laying on it I started having hip paint after 10 minutes..  they all are softer in the store.   I think right now I am in a love/hate relationship with the entire bed.   I still find myself tossing much more than I ever did with the solid latex I had, but some of my back pains and hip problems seem to be better.   I really do not know what other bed I would even consider swapping this out for.   I do not like how the coil beds feel and am so disgusted with all the mattress choices and high prices that you have to pay and if you make a mistake it's not like you can just keep swapping these out..  Seems to me there should be some control on this industry because no matter what site I go on for info tons of people are frustrated with making the right choice...  I will post again in another few weeks to tell how I am doing.. but glad you are happy with your bed, you are the only one who seems to have posted having the bed for x amt. of months and still are satisfied.  Thats a good thing.. Wish me luck with The BEAST>>>
Reply #10 Feb 7, 2012 9:58 AM
yesI had back surgery five years ago on L4,L5.S1 and now am possibly facing another surgery for L3,L4.  I did loads of research and enjoy being in a cooler bed so went with Icomfort Genius versus a Temperpedic.  I initially liked the firmness of the Genius, but after 3 weeks I was desiring a little more cushion.  I was sleeping okay, but I decided to have the Prodigy Plush delivered after going back to the store and trying them all out again.  So I am a few days over a week having the Prodigy and I really seem to be sleeping well, am actually finding myself sleeping comfortably on my back ( and I have never been a back sleeper) and my usual sleeping on my side is wonderful.  I feel I am getting the support to my back but I have real comfort in the top layer that responds to all of your body points.  I used to toss and turn throughout the night and I am also waking up in the same position I went to sleep in.  I am 64 and feel like I just might have purchased the perfect bed for me. 
Reply #11 Feb 11, 2012 11:25 AM
Just an update on the Prodigy Plush.  It is a wonderful mattress for me, there was some smell from factory chemicals or whatever for about a week, but that's all gone.  I'm sleeping very well, less turning and tossing and this mattress is perfect for a guy or gal who has had back issues.  It gives you the hidden support underneath the plush comfort of the top of the mattress.  You literally sink to your own body comfort level when you lay down, it is easy and not challenging to turn to another position, and the mattress top returns to it's full form once you are off.  I tried all the iComforts and I feel this is the best for the money!  Good luck everyone

Recent Posts