researching again
Aug 19, 2008 1:13 PM
I have posted several times over the last couple of years and found a lot of great advice. However, I found it is hard because you always have to sleep on things first. I read many stories of people who purchased mattress after mattress. Now I understand!!  Starting looking late 2006 and purchased in 2007. Bought a Jamison taladay latex. Both DH and I had problems with the latex. His back hurt and my shoulders hurt. The company let us switch it out for the only other brand they had, serta. So we ended up paying $2000 for a cheap serta. It is o.k. My shoulders do not hurt anymore. But we really want to start looking again. The bed has horrible indentations and I cannot put a pretty duvet on it because of the way it looks.  I think I want a queen instead of a king and want to stay under $1000. I know that this is not much. We would like to look at more organic possibliities as well AND NO LATEX. This may really be impossible, but any companies that are in the southeast would be great if anyone knows of some around. Any other ideas would be appreciated as well.
Re: researching again
Reply #1 Aug 20, 2008 5:48 AM
ga99 wrote:
Any other ideas would be appreciated as well.

Well, you could always try mattress surgery first. Especially if you're planning on replacing a fairly new mattress you really have nothing to lose by cutting open the top and replacing the indented foam layers. Since you don't care for Talalay latex (and I sympathize having had a similar experience myself) I would recommend replacing the low density PU foam with HR foam available from a local foam supply store. Using one inch increments makes it easier to build up to the comfort level you prefer. You can even splt the layers if one partner prefers a firmer or softer mattress than the other.

If you prefer to simply get a new mattress, see if there are local businesses in your area that make their own mattresses. Sometimes they can customize them to your needs. You expressed an interest in organic materials other than latex, and that would probably mean cotton or horsehair. Usually these kinds of mattresses need a topper to be comfortable because you are sleeping on very firm compressed materials, and if you don't like latex that would mean something non-organic like memory foam.

Reply #2 Aug 20, 2008 5:22 PM
I am curious, did you try flipping the latex bed before you returned it?  I was considering buying on untested,  and they recommended if I didn't like one side to flip the mattress for a firmer feel. 

thanks.
Reply #3 Aug 21, 2008 10:32 AM
We did flip the latex mattress. We tried one side for 3 months then the other for 3 months. Latex is just not for me. We did try the foam mattresses in the store and did not like the feel to them compared to the latex, so I do not want to even try one of them. I was thinking about buying a cheap queen mattress then buying a nice wool topper. Thoughts on how that would work??
Reply #4 Aug 24, 2008 6:26 PM
This is interesting. I bought a new SleepEZ dunlop latex mattress a few months back and have been struggling with it ever since, I've tried adding various layers (1" memory foam, 2" PU foam, wool topper) but none of them feel as comfortable as a new S-brand feels when you first bring it home (of course I know that feeling doesn't last long, that's why I bought latex). I'd heard that latex isn't for everyone, but I thought that was only if you had a bad nack or slipped discs or something like that. I don't know why but I just don't feel like I sink in and get comfy in my bed. A while back I was part of the "Dunlop vs Talalay" discussion, and I went Dunlop, but after my last discussion with Shawn at SleepEZ he agreed to send my a Talalay layer to try. I sure hope that helps! But maybe latex just isn't for me...

You didn't say if you tried memory foam and/or the sleep number (air) beds. I didn't like my Tempurpedic (memory foam) bed but everyone is different, if you haven't tried these types maybe you should. You can definitely get cheaper memory foam beds than Tempurpedic; I don't know if you can get cheaper sleep number type beds but its worth a look. If my latex doesn't work out I may try sleep number next...

Steve 

Recent Posts