Plush Beds
Oct 13, 2010 8:57 AM
Has anyone purchased from Plushbeds?  Can't seem to find much information on them.

Thanks!

Re: Plush Beds
Reply #1 Oct 13, 2010 2:12 PM
If you are talking about their latex mattress ...

You can find that exact same mattress in several places (see the links that I posted in another thread) for hundreds less.

You can also find the equivalent or better (not the exact same) for hundreds less.

Of course "$1000 in free gifts" makes it all worth it (laughing). If I could sell the gifts for $1000 I would buy it.

Phoenix

Reply #2 Oct 13, 2010 2:51 PM
If you are talking about their memory foam ... I see a few warning signs.

Some misinformation or spin on the site

Their mattress comparison chart doesn't agree in some cases with the individual descriptions

There is no information about how thick the layers are

The 8" has 2.5 lb memory foam ... I don't consider that suitable for any mattress

The 9" claims in the individual description to have 8lb memory foam in it (comparison chart says 5.34). While there are a few 8lb memory foams (from Foamex and probably others). This is likely absolute BS unless the foam comes from China.

They are using "airflow" systems which usually indicates a "hot" memory foam or another attempt to "link" themselves to Tempur. Means it's less likely that the foam is breathable.

Their "typical" memory foam is 5.34 lb which is a marketing slant trying to emulate Tempur. If they were getting their foam from Carpenter or Foamex or some of the other North American manufacturers and they really wanted people to know that, they would have Foamex or Carpenter densities or at least they wouldn't re-brand their foam and be upfront about where it came from. I wonder how forthcoming they would be if you called them and ask them where their foam came from.

They sell RV mattresses. While this is not a bad thing in and of itself, there is a whole "ring" of sellers online who specialize in selling so called RV mattresses in regular in home sizes in an effort to get around the fire code. Most of them have a tuck under mattress cover instead of a zippered enclosure. They all come from the same supplier which specializes in drop shipping for "online entrepreneurs" with no money and in many cases no ethics. They keep changing their name(s). Most of these are memory foam and Plush are selling latex RV mattresses so I doubt they are part of this "ring" but I would be wary.

Enough to make you cautious and make a phone call to get some specific and pointed and believable answers before you buy anything from them?

Phoenix

This message was modified Oct 13, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #3 Oct 13, 2010 10:08 PM
Phoenix,

Thanks for the input. We are looking at latex mattress. From our research we would like to have all natural latex with two or three layers. Would like to have ILD at the core of 35 and 2nd layer 22. Have tried the latex mattress and have found them comfortable.   Just trying to put together the right specs for us. My wife is not a big fan of memory foam. We have the usual back and shoulder problems.

sy 

Reply #4 Oct 13, 2010 10:21 PM
Just a word of caution ... it the topper layer is only 2" and the differential is that great, it may lead to some pressure issues for some people (If you go through the 2" and into the more dense layer underneath). For other people it would be fine. If you have access to a place where you can lay down on a mattress with those specs (or any specs you plan to buy) I would certainly do so first ... either that or if you are sure about the density of the core then purchase the layers from a place where you can do a comfort exchange that also has a "more reasonable" price and/or is better known to either you or the people on this forum. There are lots.

Phoenix

This message was modified Oct 13, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #5 Oct 14, 2010 10:53 AM
Phoenix,

Thanks for the information. We will seek out various mattress types of ILD combinations and try them. Unfortunately there is nothing in our immediate area that carries what we are looking for. So we will have to search out stores. Verlo has has latex bed that is 5 inch 35 ild and 3 inch 24 ild and that felt just a little too firm. Their other mattress was a 5" latex blend on the core with 35 ild and 2 -2" in layers of Talalay ild 19 which seemed to be too soft. So I'm thinking we need something inbetween.

sy

Reply #6 Oct 14, 2010 9:30 PM
Sounds like you're getting pretty close. The 2-2" layers would be a little softer than 4" of the same ild but even 4" of 19 ild would be pretty soft.

Assuming that you lay on the two mattresses enough (at least 15 minutes each without interruption in your "normal sleep positions" as if you were going to sleep) to tell how close they were in terms of both comfort and support, I'm guessing that 3" in the 22 range over a core in the 28-32 range would be getting even closer. You'd want to know whether the cores were Dunlop or Talalay as well.

Phoenix

Reply #7 Oct 15, 2010 10:24 AM
Phoenix,

Dunlop vs. talalay.  Are these ratings accurate??

Soft Dunlop:  22-30

Medium Dunlop: 31-39

Firm Dunlop: 40 and above

Soft Talalay: N2 Soft 20-24

Medium Talalay: N4 Medium 30-34

Firm Talalay: N5 Firm 35-40+

We are considering going with a dunlop core and the top talalay.

sy

Reply #8 Oct 15, 2010 12:09 PM
Softness is so subjective that one person's firm is another person's soft. Depends a lot on a person's weight and makeup and sensitivity what feels soft or firm. In very general terms, the heavier a person is the more they will feel a certain ild as softer.

Having said that, The Dunlop will probably feel a little firmer than the ratings indicate compared to Talalay. I personally would tend to move them up in the scale a little. Talalay has a little more "give" to it.

Dunlop under one layer of Talalay will also make the overall mattress feel a little firmer based on my real world testing but it was not a huge difference.

Phoenix

Reply #9 Oct 15, 2010 5:03 PM
Verlo has a harmony line and one of them is 9" of latex (virtue) ... and another one has 6" of latex on top of 3" of acella-flex (triumph). They look very similar to some of the ecosleep models as well including the picture of the bed they are on http://www.ecosleepmattress.com/latex.html which in turn look very similar to the Gold Bond Ecotouch Latex http://www.goldbondmattress.com/specialty/index.php?category_id=4663. They are similar enough that they seem to be basically the same line. I know that the ecosleep and goldbond use 2x2" of latex on top of 5" and that the 2" layers are progressive. Was the verlo just 4" of the same ild?

Just curious as well, while the goldbond is more expensive, I called the ecosleep people when I was doing my research and while they normally don't sell direct to the public, they did put me in touch with 2 dealers who would ship me a mattress at a "special price". Actually what would have happened is that ecosleep would have drop shipped an order I placed with their dealer. The best price of the 2 dealers I talked to was $1439 (including shipping). What did they quote you at Verlo?

Was it the triumph you tried?

Phoenix

Added: The price I quoted above was one of the dealers and in looking at my notes it wasn't the best price of the two. The other one quoted $1350 including shipping. The mattress was (from top to bottom) 2" 19, 2" 24, and 5" 36. All Talalay. This was for either the Cassidy or the Sundance (different covers).

Also corrected virtue and triumph which I had mixed up

This message was modified Oct 15, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #10 Oct 15, 2010 5:39 PM
Phoenix,

The ones we tried at Verlo were the harmony virtue - 5" Talalay 35 ILD core and 2 - 2 inch talalay ILD 19   price $1668  queen

The other was the harmony - 5" Talalay 35 ILD core and 3" talalay ILD 24  price $1538  queen.

Also the talalay is a blend and I was looking at more organic type products. I realize they are more expensive and I'll have to set a budget but would like to have a sound product.

Appreciate your insight. Looks like fall brings on some pretty good sales. So the search will continue and we need to try out some of the different lines out there.

sy

Recent Posts