Does anyone have (good / bad / indifferent) feedback about Oodles (Latex "noodles") --VERDICT is IN!!!
Sep 21, 2009 10:41 PM
Hi everyone - I posted a question about this in the previous topic about toppers, but I thought it might get buried there. So I thought I'd start a new one since I'm specificaly interested in whether anyone has experience with Oodles products.

For a variety of reasons, i need a new mattress topper. I was thinking of getting the 2" latex topper from Overstock.com to see how it worked. But while searching tonight, I ran across these "Oodles" products. (Actually they appear to use the infinity symbol (\infty) instead of 'O's in the product name).

I've tested and LOVED shredded latex pillows for the loft and "down alternative" feel.  Apparently Oodles makes pillows AND toppers using latex pellets they call 'springs,' and some kind of natural corn fiber???. (I worry about allergies with the corn fibers... I wonder if there is any info on that anywhere...) I was curious if anyone had tried them. I hadn't seen any mention of them, and in fact when I searched the forum - nothing came up. Maybe they're really new?

Anyway - Costco has the pillows for around $30.00. And I found a 2" topper online (Sportsmanguide.com ?!?) for around $107 for a King size. It's obviously more expensive than a Cuddlebed, but  about $75 less than, say, an ECO topper at Overstock.

If anyone has experience with this, I'd love to hear.  

This message was modified Oct 13, 2009 by SKeeter
Re: Oodles Verdict
Reply #25 Oct 13, 2009 3:35 PM
SKeeter wrote:

Catherine - I'm curious what size you ordered... I imagine if the pillows were a bit better arranged, or maybe sewed smaller for a smaller pad, it might not have been quite as bad as it was with the King version... Do you still have yours? Are you still comfortable?

SKeeter, what a disappointment. Hope you can take your topper back to a store instead of shipping it back.

I do still have mine, and I am still comfortable. My shoulders don't get crunched, and I really like the fact that when I wake up in the morning, my hands & arms are not numb. (Not lately, anyway.) The biggest problem I have with my bed now is getting out of it in the morning -- I don't wanna.

I have the Full size Oodles topper. It has 12 baffle squares -- 4 down and 3 across. I wouldn't say there are 4" between the top of the poof and the bottom of the craters (where the seams are) on mine; maybe 2" or 3".  It sounds like the construction of the King Oodles topper is worse -- or the overall effect is worse -- than for the Full size one. Each of these toppers should probably have at least twice as many baffles as they do, to prevent the peaks & craters.

The fiberbed that I have over my Oodles topper isn't the Cuddlebed; mine is a Laura Ashley topper/pad that I picked up at Kohl's several years ago. I haven't seen the Cuddlebed except in pictures online, but I believe my fiberbed is thinner (about 1" thick) and has more baffles. It has lots of small squares, so I'm betting that those are evening out the poofs and craters in my Oodles topper. My fiberbed also has a skirt, which pulls the thing taut, and that probably also helps with evening out the Oodles squares.

Too bad the Oodles topper is constructed so badly -- I still think the idea behind it is a good one. If the manufacturer had just taken more care and added a lot more baffles, the product could have been great. And yeah, I'm guessing that it's being, or has been, discontinued; and if so, we know why.

Look into the products at SleepLikeaBear.com -- their prices are reasonable, their products are good (you know what you're getting), and their service is great. My guess is that you wouldn't want anything less than 28 ILD, but I could be way off on that. I'm guessing 28 only because on my 1" of 24 ILD from them, my hips were fine but my shoulders bottomed out. Maybe 2 or 3 inches of 24 ILD would have been fine, or maybe 28 would have been better. Dunno. If you call and talk to Evelyn, she'll be able to recommend something. And you'll be able to return it (I think within 30 days) if you don't like it.

Good luck. Let us know what you try and how it works for you.

-Catherine
This message was modified Oct 13, 2009 by Catherine
Re: Does anyone have (good / bad / indifferent) feedback about Oodles (Latex "noodles") --VERDICT is IN!!!
Reply #26 Oct 15, 2009 1:17 PM
Your experince sounds like exactly what I would have anticipated would happen.  There are tons of gimmicks in this world, and this sounds like yet another.
Kait

Recent Posts