Need help on new Spring Air Mattress
Nov 4, 2010 8:39 PM
i recently went into the brick because im tired of the old one im using now. I decided to buy this one

http://www1.thebrick.com/brickb2c/jsp/catalog/product.jsp?prod=WINTERFQP&navAction=jump&navCount=5

after picking it out ive been doing research and alot of people dont like spring air so i dont want to spend good money on something that wont be as good as a different brand like sealy or serta. Has anyone baught this particular set up or can tell me anything interesting about the specs? any advice would be appreciated because i can still cancel the order and pick something else out. thanks

Re: Need help on new Spring Air Mattress
Reply #8 Dec 14, 2010 11:12 PM
Wool in particular actually can help some people sleep deeper as it can help to steady your heart rate by keeping moisture away from your body.

Budgy:

Is that true?  I read that at the website someone mentioned for wool futons.  I can see that being true if you are not in pain too.  That is why I am trying so hard to make the Dormia work, because I do sleep cooler, but the hip pain may stop me from succeeding.  If I can't compensate with something different underneath.

I certainly agree about the cheap poly foam breaking down in record breaking time (my words and opinion from past experience).

Reply #9 Dec 15, 2010 1:40 AM
There is enough "evidence"  that I personally believe wool can make a real difference.

The naturaworld site links to 2 studies (one by a wool manufacturer)

and this is one about wool and fibromyalgia http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/abs/10.1089/acm.2008.0456?prevSearch=allfield%253A%2528sleep%2529&searchHistoryKey=

Maybe the "secret" to your pressure issues is to just sleep in thick wool pyjamas on top of your Dormier and forget completely about mattress construction (smiling)

Phoenix

Phoenix's response
Reply #10 Dec 15, 2010 8:54 AM
Thanks for taking the time to reply, Phoenix. Very informative.

I was actually on my way to check out a Keetsa mattress when I noticed the SALE sign at the Brick Mattress store. Driven by emotion (I couldn't stand the idea that my IKEA mattress might be causing me pain) not to mention an excellent sales pitch and hefty discount, I made a snap decision to buy the Spring Air. This is the first time I've even made a major purchase without doing research BEFORE I sealed the deal.

I have to say that I find it so very difficult to make sense of online reviews. For every glowing endorsement, there's a red-hot rant. Even the so-called unbiased consumer report sites contradict one another. 

You said that there might be some better options...could you please specify? I'm 5'7'', 117 pounds and, as I mentioned in my original post, have recently been experiencing hip and buttocks pain (and outer thigh sometimes). Looking for something supportive yet comfy for the bony parts. Also, I don't mind spending more on quality. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. On another note, my sister, whose the same size as me, swears by her new Tempurpedic bed on which she apparently no longer tosses or turns all night long. Personally, I'm weary of the brand because I've read that the honeymoon doesn't last, something I've experienced with my Tempurpedic pillow...plus there's the whole issue of heat retention).

Reply #11 Dec 15, 2010 3:32 PM
By "other options" I meant that I hadn't looked at all their mattresses to see which one had the least polyfoam. It's likely that they all do at least in any reasonable price range (and probably the higher end as well)  but some (like the less expensive one I mentioned) have less than others. I don't believe that the brick has a return or "comfort exchange" policy but I may be wrong here. If they do and it's not too expensive to take advantage of it, then a mattress with good springs and as little polyfoam as possible would likely be your best bet (if you were forced to exchange it at the same store) and you could use the money you saved to put a good topper on top to adjust how it felt. Polyfoam in the upper layers of a mattress is usually the "weak link" and the first part to fail in a mattress. This is not covered by warranty (foam breakdown and depressions less than usually 1.5" with no weight are considered "normal").

Almost all the major brands do this, and it's the main reason you will rarely if ever find any of them recommended on this forum. Better options involve looking at local or regional manufacturers, either factory direct or through non mass market retailers, who use higher quality materials and have much better value, specialty mattresses that are bettter value sold online, do it yourself matresses using better materials also sold online, or a "throway approach" which involves buying a really inexpensive and comfortable mattress where the price reflects the fact that it likely won't last long.

Mattress reviews are usually written by people with either a "love on" or a "hate on" with their mattress. The love on's are usually writen soon after they buy them. The hate on's are usually written later on when they start to develop problems. Most people don't write reviews either way, even when they develop issues with their mattress, and most people are reasonably happy with their purchase at the beginning because it's more comfortable for a while than what they were sleeping on.

Consumer sites don't seem to know anything about mattress construction and don't seem to want to "insult" almost every major manufacturer for fear of losing credibility ... even though doing just this would be a far more honest approach.

Memory foam is a "whole different animal" and it's important to do some homework if you're not sure about it or haven't regularly slept on one before. It may be worth reading draft #2 in reply #8 here if you are seriously considering them.

Phoenix

Reply #12 Dec 15, 2010 6:02 PM
Leo and Phoenix,

To myself the logic that if you stay drier means you are more comfortable and able to relax, then that is definitely a big plus.  If you have ever gone hiking or listened to basic outdoors survival keeping yourself dry is paramount, particularly when setting up shelter, this is why hammocks were invented, to keep people off the moist ground.  So humidity control is I think a very important aspect of comfort, there are also many studies that point to people falling asleep faster and having just an overall better sense of physical and mental well being when using linen sheets compared to any other fibre.  Being that it is almost impossible to saturate linen sheets in perspiration I can see why :)

Reply #13 Dec 15, 2010 9:55 PM
Budgy,

Many years ago I did a lot of bicycle touring and at one time rode from Victoria to Ontario (lots of stories about where we ended up sleeping lol). Of course you get to experience every kind of weather there is along the way and I really quickly learned the advantages of "layering" with different materials (cotton, wool, gore-tex etc) with different thermal and moisture properties. I loved a silk Balaclava I wore when needed and was actually quite amazed at it's ability to insulate with such a thin breathable layer.

I noticed this mattress pad in my "travels" and it looks "delicious" (I've never seen one before). Have you had the chance to try something like this or even this one ... and if you have, what are your impressions?

Phoenix

This message was modified Dec 15, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #14 Dec 16, 2010 12:07 AM
its definitely one of the nicest mattress pads I have seen, and silk is much more breathable as a fleece than it is as a fabric as well.  the only downside to silk fleece filled mattress pads is that you really cannot machine wash them :( 

silk is likely cooler to sleep with than wool for most people, so it also depends on what someones goal is as far as heat retention and just plain comfort.  silk (mulberry or tussah) is probably one of the firmest natural fillings available.

if someone wanted a really warm mattress pad than alpaca filled is pretty amazing, a company called crescent moon makes one that can be washed in a front load washer on a delicate setting.  alpaca is pretty soft as well.

Reply #15 Dec 16, 2010 12:29 AM
That's interesting. How is it for compression. Does it compress over time as much as wool or does it stay more like it starts out? It says it can be dry cleaned but can it also be washed by hand similar to a down comforter?

I'm (or I should say she's) happy with the natura we have but when I saw that it went right on my "have to try someday" list.

Phoenix

Re: Other Options/Need help on new Spring Air Mattress
Reply #16 Dec 16, 2010 10:38 AM

Once again, thanks for your time, Phoenix.

I checked the Brick's invoice and they offer a 'Sleep Better Comfort Guarantee': " a one-time reselection for 90 days from the date of delivery. This offer is extended to 180 days with a matt pad." So, I'm considering one of the following:

1. Buy the Springwall plus a good topper as you suggested (The Sertapedic is the same price as the Springwall, but I'd have to ask about the amount of polyfoam in it: http://www1.thebrick.com/brickb2c/jsp/catalog/product.jsp?id=CELITEQPK&navAction=jump&navCount=5). This option seems practical and economical. I might try a Natura latex topper; I have one of their latex pillows, which I find very comfy and supportive.

2. Do some research this time (!) and try out the Tempur-Pedic RythmicNC: http://www1.thebrick.com/brickb2c/jsp/catalog/product.jsp?id=RHYTHMQPK&navAction=jump&navCount=18 

It's the only full latex mattress offered by the Brick plus it has the wool liner discussed in this thread: "Different layers of natural latex...Organic Cotton Cover quilted with a 100% New Zealand wool liner." But who knows --maybe there's some polyfoam hidden in there. Apparently, the mattress is made by EvenRest though it's labelled Tempur-Pedic. Is this another case of Spring Air/Obus Forme name licensing? I swear, shopping for a mattress is enough to make a person paranoid!

3. If my new mattress is still comfortable as I approach the 180-day trial period, then keep it as a (sadly expensive) "throw-away" item. I'm hoping I can get at least a year out of it (seeing as I'm pretty light--if that make a difference), then start fresh, exploring such options as Keetsa, Natura, SnugSleep...My fear, however, is that the mattress will start killing my back/hips/whatever-body-part right after the guarantee expires and then I'll be one of those irate online reviewers with a raging hate-on!

Reply #17 Dec 16, 2010 1:49 PM
Phoenix wrote:

That's interesting. How is it for compression. Does it compress over time as much as wool or does it stay more like it starts out? It says it can be dry cleaned but can it also be washed by hand similar to a down comforter?

I'm (or I should say she's) happy with the natura we have but when I saw that it went right on my "have to try someday" list.

Phoenix

The best way to launder it is with a silk specific wash or even baby shampoo, basically just let it soak in cool water and then use towels to press as much water out of it as possible before final air drying.  Silk is very durable but its made out of protein like you and me, so it does dry out if you use harsh cleansers on it...I personally would avoid dry cleaning unless you know a really good dry cleaner that you trust.  Silk is more resistant to shifting and compression than really any other fibre because it is the longest stranded filament fibre around (particularly long stranded mulberry silk).  When they make these kinds of pads or duvets they essentially take a single silk cocoon and stretch it out to the full size of the mattress pad or duvet and simply layer one cocoon on top of another until the desired weight is achieved.  Once they stitch through it because silk is almost impossible to break it will not shift at all if made correctly.

Recent Posts