Need help on new Spring Air Mattress
Nov 4, 2010 8:39 PM
i recently went into the brick because im tired of the old one im using now. I decided to buy this one

http://www1.thebrick.com/brickb2c/jsp/catalog/product.jsp?prod=WINTERFQP&navAction=jump&navCount=5

after picking it out ive been doing research and alot of people dont like spring air so i dont want to spend good money on something that wont be as good as a different brand like sealy or serta. Has anyone baught this particular set up or can tell me anything interesting about the specs? any advice would be appreciated because i can still cancel the order and pick something else out. thanks

Re: Need help on new Spring Air Mattress
Reply #4 Nov 4, 2010 11:13 PM
They were selling the set for $699 if you didn't want the T.V offer and will have a 50% off this weekend I believe.

Quality wise as mentioned, on par with other mainstream manufacturers.

Just make sure, you paid the right price for it.

This message was modified Nov 4, 2010 by canuck
Reply #5 Nov 5, 2010 2:16 AM
Ditto to what Budgy said although I would have said it in stronger terms (I don't have the "disadvantage" of being connected with the retail sales of mattresses).

Particularly this part

"The challenge with these thicker pillowtop mattresses is that they will probably give you an improved nights sleep, although just temporarily.  The more cheap polyurethane foam in a mattress the quicker it is going to break down and you essentially have a worn out mattress again, every layer in this mattress other than the latex falls under this category. "

"Challenge" is a very nice way of putting it (smiling). Cheap mattresses are not always so cheap if you measure them in any terms besides the initial price you pay.

There are options in "inexpensive" mattresses that have much better value IMO.

Phoenix

PS: None of those "better options" come from a major (or big 3) company whose name starts with an "S"

This message was modified Nov 5, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #6 Dec 14, 2010 2:35 PM
Hi, not sure if you're still in the market for this particular bed. I bought one--the "plush" version-- a couple of days ago at the Brick Mattress store for 30% off plus an additional 20% (which works out to about a 43% discount). Slept in it for the first time last night and it was fabulous. For a couple of years, I slept on a thin IKEA foam mattress and recently developed pain in my hips and behind. I slept deeply on the new mattress and felt no pain at all in the morning.

I, too, was alarmed after reading the reviews of Spring Air mattresses on line. (I read them AFTER buying mine). However, my sense it that there are many, many different models offered by Spring Air and this particular one hasn't been on the market for long; hence, the complaints we've read to date refer to older models. I also found this info, which might help clear up matters with respect to Spring Air's relationship with Obus Forme (note the final sentence):

"TORONTO (06 April 2010) - Canadian bedding producer Spring Air Sommex (SASC) has acquired the North American rights to produce and market the Obus Forme branded lines of mattresses and is now making them available to retailers in this country. We've acquired the brand exclusively," SASC chief marketing officer Valerie Stranix said in an interview. Headquartered in Toronto, Obus Forme produces a wide range of products that are "engineered for the body" and is perhaps most famous for its line of back supports for office chairs. Among its other well known offerings is a line of ergonomically-designed pillows for both sleeping and travel as well as mattress pads and back packs, among others.Like other Obus Forme products, Stranix said the mattresses were developed and designed in consultation with chiropractors and the line is endorsed by the Canadian Chiropractic College."

As I've said, I've only slept on the mattress for one night, so I'm not in a position to endorse it yet. 

One final note, re: mood disorders/depression, may I suggest sleeping in TOTAL darkness. It helps the body create melatonin, which serves to regulate hormones and maintain the body's circadian rhythm.

Good luck!

Reply #7 Dec 14, 2010 8:49 PM
I am assuming that this http://www1.thebrick.com/brickb2c/jsp/catalog/product.jsp?id=WINTERPQP&navAction=jump&navCount=2 is the mattress you bought (It's the only "plush" spring air even though it's not a "plush top" but a "eurotop")

The layers it has outlined (even though what is on the website is not the actual order of the layers) explain why it feels good. It's a "whole bunch" of soft polyfoam. The kind that feels great in a store and perhaps for a while after that.

The real problem with mattresses like this though is that they usually don't feel so good in the long term. This is partly because over several nights some people may notice that what felt good for "comfort" didn't feel so good for "alignment" and they end up with a sore back and partly because this type of foam (all except the VERY thin layer of latex) will break down very quickly and lose the qualities that made it feel comfortable at the beginning ... even if your alignment on it was good.

A "chiropractors association" endorsement is dime a dozen stuff and is really nothing more than an excuse to charge more for the mattress. Any mattress with a "zoned" innerspring could probably pay for such an endorsement. The problem here is that zoning or mattress construction is so individual that in many cases "chiropractor endorsed" mattresses cause more back issues than they solve. It is all about marketing and "extracting money" from a consumer's wallet.

In the "old days" mattresses like this were made 2 sided so they could be flipped which somewhat relieved the issues involved in foam breakdown (to some extent anyway), but now you mostly can't even do this.

It's a "good thing" that you like your mattress and I truly hope that you are the exception. I would suggest though that you pay very close attention to alignment issues in the beginning (not thinking "oh I'll get used to it" or "it must be just me because a chiropractor's association endorsed it so how could it cause a back issue") so that if it becomes necessary that you are able to do an exchange within the time frame they allow for a mattress with less polyfoam. The springwall they sell is such a mattress (though it still has too much) even though it is less in price. It would be easier to "fix" and "customize"  with a quality topper than the spring air. Other options may be better yet.

I should also add that "Budgy" has had many years of practical "hands on" experience with what happens a few months or years down the road with mattresses like this and is very knowledgeable about the "insider" parts of the mattress industry ... including "chiropractor and "obus" connections and endorsements. I don't believe that he even carries any "S" brands or anything like them anymore.

Phoenix

PS: I'm very much with you on your "darkness" suggestion and on the other side certain types of "light" (such as full spectrum) can help as well.

This message was modified Dec 14, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #8 Dec 14, 2010 11:12 PM
Wool in particular actually can help some people sleep deeper as it can help to steady your heart rate by keeping moisture away from your body.

Budgy:

Is that true?  I read that at the website someone mentioned for wool futons.  I can see that being true if you are not in pain too.  That is why I am trying so hard to make the Dormia work, because I do sleep cooler, but the hip pain may stop me from succeeding.  If I can't compensate with something different underneath.

I certainly agree about the cheap poly foam breaking down in record breaking time (my words and opinion from past experience).

Reply #9 Dec 15, 2010 1:40 AM
There is enough "evidence"  that I personally believe wool can make a real difference.

The naturaworld site links to 2 studies (one by a wool manufacturer)

and this is one about wool and fibromyalgia http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/abs/10.1089/acm.2008.0456?prevSearch=allfield%253A%2528sleep%2529&searchHistoryKey=

Maybe the "secret" to your pressure issues is to just sleep in thick wool pyjamas on top of your Dormier and forget completely about mattress construction (smiling)

Phoenix

Phoenix's response
Reply #10 Dec 15, 2010 8:54 AM
Thanks for taking the time to reply, Phoenix. Very informative.

I was actually on my way to check out a Keetsa mattress when I noticed the SALE sign at the Brick Mattress store. Driven by emotion (I couldn't stand the idea that my IKEA mattress might be causing me pain) not to mention an excellent sales pitch and hefty discount, I made a snap decision to buy the Spring Air. This is the first time I've even made a major purchase without doing research BEFORE I sealed the deal.

I have to say that I find it so very difficult to make sense of online reviews. For every glowing endorsement, there's a red-hot rant. Even the so-called unbiased consumer report sites contradict one another. 

You said that there might be some better options...could you please specify? I'm 5'7'', 117 pounds and, as I mentioned in my original post, have recently been experiencing hip and buttocks pain (and outer thigh sometimes). Looking for something supportive yet comfy for the bony parts. Also, I don't mind spending more on quality. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. On another note, my sister, whose the same size as me, swears by her new Tempurpedic bed on which she apparently no longer tosses or turns all night long. Personally, I'm weary of the brand because I've read that the honeymoon doesn't last, something I've experienced with my Tempurpedic pillow...plus there's the whole issue of heat retention).

Reply #11 Dec 15, 2010 3:32 PM
By "other options" I meant that I hadn't looked at all their mattresses to see which one had the least polyfoam. It's likely that they all do at least in any reasonable price range (and probably the higher end as well)  but some (like the less expensive one I mentioned) have less than others. I don't believe that the brick has a return or "comfort exchange" policy but I may be wrong here. If they do and it's not too expensive to take advantage of it, then a mattress with good springs and as little polyfoam as possible would likely be your best bet (if you were forced to exchange it at the same store) and you could use the money you saved to put a good topper on top to adjust how it felt. Polyfoam in the upper layers of a mattress is usually the "weak link" and the first part to fail in a mattress. This is not covered by warranty (foam breakdown and depressions less than usually 1.5" with no weight are considered "normal").

Almost all the major brands do this, and it's the main reason you will rarely if ever find any of them recommended on this forum. Better options involve looking at local or regional manufacturers, either factory direct or through non mass market retailers, who use higher quality materials and have much better value, specialty mattresses that are bettter value sold online, do it yourself matresses using better materials also sold online, or a "throway approach" which involves buying a really inexpensive and comfortable mattress where the price reflects the fact that it likely won't last long.

Mattress reviews are usually written by people with either a "love on" or a "hate on" with their mattress. The love on's are usually writen soon after they buy them. The hate on's are usually written later on when they start to develop problems. Most people don't write reviews either way, even when they develop issues with their mattress, and most people are reasonably happy with their purchase at the beginning because it's more comfortable for a while than what they were sleeping on.

Consumer sites don't seem to know anything about mattress construction and don't seem to want to "insult" almost every major manufacturer for fear of losing credibility ... even though doing just this would be a far more honest approach.

Memory foam is a "whole different animal" and it's important to do some homework if you're not sure about it or haven't regularly slept on one before. It may be worth reading draft #2 in reply #8 here if you are seriously considering them.

Phoenix

Reply #12 Dec 15, 2010 6:02 PM
Leo and Phoenix,

To myself the logic that if you stay drier means you are more comfortable and able to relax, then that is definitely a big plus.  If you have ever gone hiking or listened to basic outdoors survival keeping yourself dry is paramount, particularly when setting up shelter, this is why hammocks were invented, to keep people off the moist ground.  So humidity control is I think a very important aspect of comfort, there are also many studies that point to people falling asleep faster and having just an overall better sense of physical and mental well being when using linen sheets compared to any other fibre.  Being that it is almost impossible to saturate linen sheets in perspiration I can see why :)

Reply #13 Dec 15, 2010 9:55 PM
Budgy,

Many years ago I did a lot of bicycle touring and at one time rode from Victoria to Ontario (lots of stories about where we ended up sleeping lol). Of course you get to experience every kind of weather there is along the way and I really quickly learned the advantages of "layering" with different materials (cotton, wool, gore-tex etc) with different thermal and moisture properties. I loved a silk Balaclava I wore when needed and was actually quite amazed at it's ability to insulate with such a thin breathable layer.

I noticed this mattress pad in my "travels" and it looks "delicious" (I've never seen one before). Have you had the chance to try something like this or even this one ... and if you have, what are your impressions?

Phoenix

This message was modified Dec 15, 2010 by Phoenix

Recent Posts