Heat issues of latex and memory foam
Oct 1, 2010 4:02 PM
We all know the issues of heat from latex (rubber) and memory foam (way too hot).  But the solutions by some are adding wool toppers.  For me I tried wool toppers (2 different ones) and they may make it somewhat cooler but they made the mattress too hard and impossible for me to sleep on.  Then I tried cotton and that helps some, but still makes the mattress firmer.

So what is the solution????  I am sick of waking up every few hours and turning over to cool the overheated area.  I need to sink in some to have pressure relief for side sleeping, so I sleep even warmer because of that.

This message was modified Oct 1, 2010 by Leo3
Re: Heat issues of latex and memory foam
Reply #5 Oct 2, 2010 11:33 AM
Leo, last night I threw down a cotton mattelasse bed cover on top of my wool topper (and over the fitted sheet). Thought maybe one more layer of cotton might do the trick in a pinch.

I did not sleep hot last night for the first time in ages BUT..I think it had a lot more to do with the fact that it was quite cool last night..the fan was in the window (as usual) and was blowing in fresh cool air. The room was in the low 60s. I was therefore able to sleep with an extra blanket and I really like the added weight..I sleep better but of course that usually adds to the hotness. But I didn't get hot under there nor did I have to move off any hot spots under my body. 

I had found a post in this forum from someone, I forget who, who said he discovered the answer to his hotness on latex was the room temperature. He said when the room was cool, he did not get hot sleeping, when the room was not cool, he did.  I am really beginning to think he has hit the nail on the head with that one. I don't have a/c and unless it's very cool out (like last night) it gets warm in my room (and of course, downright hot on hot days/nights). The fan only blows hot air around.  I tend to hate a/c (canned air) but I really think I need to get one especially if it means I can sleep at night. (Won't need it now that colder weather is upon us but in the spring/summer).   I don't like the idea of higher electric bills, etc.  But I wasn't hot last night and that in itself is a minor miracle...and I really do not think it was the mattelasse bed cover doing it. Still have to experiment w/ this.

Leo, do you have a/c in your room and/or, what temp. is your room generally at night? Do you find if it's very cool that you don't get hot spots?

My night wasn't perfect, my neck was uncomfortable all night (pillow issues!), I woke a lot I think almost in anticipation of being hot..and wasn't..!! ...but then started thinking too much, lol..you know the drilll..

Reply #6 Oct 2, 2010 11:52 AM
tony wrote:

sandman which wool toppers do you have please.

This is the wool topper I bought at walmart.com.  I can't remember who makes it, but it seems okay.  They say 1.5", but I think more like 1".  They also have a 3" one is you are looking for something thicker and more of a breathable barrier.   I think you can return things if purchased on the walmart website, and they might have free shipping to a store near you.

I have not tried any others to really say how it compares.  I was also looking at the Gaiim (pretty good price and I think returnable) and Natura.  It is possible that the walmart one is a bit less flexible than the others, so it might affect the feel more.  Not totally sure though.

On top of that I use the washable wool filled Natura mattress pad.  It is pretty good, and I got a good price at the time from Select Comfort (I don't think they carry them anymore).  From what I read, I think it is stiffer than the St. Dormier one.  So, when I want to replace I think I will go with St. Dormier.

p.s.  what are you using now over the latex topper?  The wool topper would probably reduce the springy feel a bit, so maybe that is a plus for you.

This message was modified Oct 2, 2010 by sandman
Reply #7 Oct 2, 2010 12:10 PM
on top of the latex topper i have a  regular cotton mattress cover from costco,  st.domier is that from laughlin suggledown  do you think the st.domier has enough wool in it..
This message was modified Oct 2, 2010 by tony
Reply #8 Oct 2, 2010 12:34 PM
tony wrote:

on top of the latex topper i have a  regular cotton mattress cover from costco,  st.domier is that from laughlin suggledown  do you think the st.domier has enough wool in it..

They call it cotton (which is the cover), but most likely it is filled with polyester.  Check the tag if you can.  Polyester is not necessariy that bad, but I don't think it would work as well as wool.  

I noticed that Costco has added this wool filled protector.   But it also says waterproof, so it might have a layer that is not so breathable.   LL Bean also sells wool filled washable ones, and I think you can return to them. I don't think it has as much wool though.

The St. Dormier might not have enough wool by itself.  For me, just using the wool mattress pad is not enough for heat issues. So, I use the wool topper and the wool filled mattress pad.  However, if I was only using latex (and no memory foam), then maybe it would be.  So, best to add one thing at a time, hopefully returnable.  If you are getting a returnable wool topper, I would start with that and use with your current mattress pad to see if that works.  If you really want a new mattress pad, then maybe start with the St. Dormier and see if that solves the problem.  If not, try adding a returnable wool topper as well.

Reply #9 Oct 2, 2010 12:41 PM
requin wrote:

Leo, last night I threw down a cotton mattelasse bed cover on top of my wool topper (and over the fitted sheet). Thought maybe one more layer of cotton might do the trick in a pinch.

I did not sleep hot last night for the first time in ages BUT..I think it had a lot more to do with the fact that it was quite cool last night..the fan was in the window (as usual) and was blowing in fresh cool air. The room was in the low 60s. I was therefore able to sleep with an extra blanket and I really like the added weight..I sleep better but of course that usually adds to the hotness. But I didn't get hot under there nor did I have to move off any hot spots under my body. 

I had found a post in this forum from someone, I forget who, who said he discovered the answer to his hotness on latex was the room temperature. He said when the room was cool, he did not get hot sleeping, when the room was not cool, he did.  I am really beginning to think he has hit the nail on the head with that one. I don't have a/c and unless it's very cool out (like last night) it gets warm in my room (and of course, downright hot on hot days/nights). The fan only blows hot air around.  I tend to hate a/c (canned air) but I really think I need to get one especially if it means I can sleep at night. (Won't need it now that colder weather is upon us but in the spring/summer).   I don't like the idea of higher electric bills, etc.  But I wasn't hot last night and that in itself is a minor miracle...and I really do not think it was the mattelasse bed cover doing it. Still have to experiment w/ this.

Leo, do you have a/c in your room and/or, what temp. is your room generally at night? Do you find if it's very cool that you don't get hot spots?

My night wasn't perfect, my neck was uncomfortable all night (pillow issues!), I woke a lot I think almost in anticipation of being hot..and wasn't..!! ...but then started thinking too much, lol..you know the drilll..

Yes, room temperature will make a big difference.  Also, Budgy in the past has said that a silk filled comforter adds weight but not as much heat (vs. say down, wool filled, or a heavy blanket).

I don't use any A/C but I live near the ocean.  So, normally not too hot in my room except a few nights during the year.  I prefer 70 degrees or less.

Reply #10 Oct 2, 2010 12:57 PM
sandman that costco wool-filled topper looks nice and isn't too expensive either..but I too would be concerned about the "breathable" waterproof barrier.  My experience is that they aren't as breathable as they claim, on these things.
Reply #11 Oct 2, 2010 1:08 PM
requin wrote:

sandman that costco wool-filled topper looks nice and isn't too expensive either..but I too would be concerned about the "breathable" waterproof barrier.  My experience is that they aren't as breathable as they claim, on these things.

Agreed.  They say breathable barrier, but who knows what it is.  The price is good and returnable too, so might be worth a gamble for someone to try.

Reply #12 Oct 2, 2010 1:18 PM
If you want to help reduce some heat build up and humidity directly underneath you, you could try to replace your cotton fitted sheet with one made of linen (flax).  Although finding good ones is not going to be cheap.  Just another tool you can have in your arsenal. 
Reply #13 Oct 2, 2010 1:28 PM
thanks budgy. In fact I saw flax linen mentioned here previously (probably by you) so I looked them up. Yowsa expensive..although someone on ebya is selling the european style (flat, not fitted) for about $30...I wonder about the quality though.

Something to keep in mind for sure.

Reply #14 Oct 2, 2010 4:54 PM
Sweet Deals, Sweet Dreams! Premium Mattress Outlet
Back in the early 1970's the Federal Government required all mattress manufacturers to develop and make mattresses that would resist the combustion of a smoldering cigarette dropped on a mattress.  The mattress industry found that putting a layer or two of poly-urethane would not allow the cigarette to keep enough heat on the "lit" end to keep burning the tobacco, so the mattress would not catch on fire and the government was happy.

Most latex mattress makers use a layer or two of poly foam to help in the cooling of latex as well.  The memory foam mattress makers have tried to use poly foam but it interfears with the comfort that some find so enjoyable about memory foam.

If I may, I would suggest a trip to a local upholstery shop and buy a layer of super soft poly foam with a layer of fortrell on top - the fortrell will breath well and the poly will dispert heat from your body - however if your mattress is a memory foam mattress you will loose some of it's comfort.  It should have little effect on comfort with a latex mattress.  Ofcourse I would suggest you have them sew fabric on the outside to make the entire pad easy to take home and place on your mattress.

One more thing to know - the more layers of upholstrey you put on a mattress the more you will find it will tend to feel firmer. this is called stacking - more layers, as they are compressed, tend to get hard, especially if any of the layers above are firmer than those below.

Gunmam4440

This message was modified Oct 2, 2010 by gunman4440

Recent Posts