Compare latex mattresses - EcoCloud, CozyPure, FloBed, and even Simmons Black Viola
Jan 10, 2009 5:52 AM
Hi, I'm trying to buy a new mattress, and i'm looking for a few tips. Our current bed is a Sterns & Foster Firm Euro-Pillowtop, which now has massive body impressions that are messing up my back (since i'm a back sleeper). My fiance (a side sleeper) of course loves the ultra poofy luxuriousness of the pillowtop, and doesn't mind that the foam collapses after a minute of laying on it.

So my goal is to find a soft and comfortable, yet supportive and durable mattress. Ideally with some amount of "luxury" feel to the quilting, rather than just a very thin cotton cover with a tiny bit of wool.

I started looking at Simmons, but ruled out everything except the Beautyrest Black Viola (with a tiny bit of latex in it), since the top quilting seems soft and luxurious yet not very tall (it's not a pillowtop), so i would think less prone to impressions. And it does feel like a "normal" bed, at least while trying it in macys. That said, i've read lots of bad things about Simmons sagging too soon. But i wonder if their Black (non-pillowtop) line is any better. Anyone know about this one?

Other than that, I'm leaning toward latex. After reading this forum i know lots of people are very happy with FloBed, SleepEZ, and SavvyRest, all on my list. But i'm also looking at a few others too that i haven't found much talk about, and i wonder if anyone can offer pros and cons, or comments about the quilting/cover.

- ECO-CLOUD "Awareness" (from TheNaturalMattressStore.com)
I saw this last week in the store. Seems very good but expensive ($3200 out the door). Nice soft cover.

- ECO-CLOUD "Clarity" (from TheNaturalMattressStore.com)
similar to Awareness but has coils between 2 layers of latex, so it only has 4" of latex.

- COZYPURE.com "Caress" or "Embrace"
This seems to have some latex in the cover, making it much more luxurious, but i can't find any reviews or comments on it anywhere. The top quilting looks almost like SleepTek's GreenSleep. Also pretty expensive. Has "zones". Unlike most others, it does not unzip.

- FLO BED Natural Latex
They only use Talalay, while most others seem to use Dunlop in the lower layers, or at least offer it. Cover seems much more poofy (in a good way) than most others, but hard to tell from the site's photos. *Can anyone describe the FloBed cover/quilt?

- SAVVY REST "Serenity"
i saw this today at a local SF BayArea store, and didn't love the cover.. it felt like cotton canvas.

- SLEEP-EZ "10000"
the cover seems thin and not very luxurious. Also the cheapest of the bunch, which almost makes me wonder a bit.

Any comments or insight are greatly appreciated !
-todd
Re: Compare latex mattresses - EcoCloud, CozyPure, FloBed, and even Simmons Black Viola
Reply #5 Aug 12, 2011 2:31 PM
what DIY did you do?
This message was modified Aug 13, 2011 by a moderator
Re: Compare latex mattresses - EcoCloud, CozyPure, FloBed, and even Simmons Black Viola
Reply #6 Aug 12, 2011 4:04 PM
Iris wrote:

what DIY did you do?

In the forums section, hit the 'highlighted threads' at top.  BillB has a thread with pics. His bed is quite the DIY project.

My SleepEZ (and I imagine Flobeds would be the same) twin XL came in two 40" tall boxes.  One weight 32 lbs. , one 49lbs.  Use screwdriver, pliers to pry up staples to keep box lids in tact.  Empty out the foam, cut the plastic wrapper. 

The cover was like 'which way is up, but I figured it out.  Cover is attached along 12" at one end, not seperate.  Must spread cover out much as possible before laying first layer of latex in.  At first, latex can look somewhat bigger than cover, but it flexes.  Takes some massaging to get it in there.  But it went and zipped together just fine.

I was on an iComfort Revolution memory foam for 4 weeks.  Wow did my butt sink into that. 

I would call my SleepEZ like 'Plush Firm' -  it's firm in support, but there's a plush feel at the surface ... and that's with only a super thin Protect-a-bed protector and countour sheet.  I could still dress it up with a topper or wool protector or what not.

This message was modified Aug 12, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #7 Aug 12, 2011 8:17 PM
what sleepez configuration do you have?
This message was modified Aug 13, 2011 by a moderator
Reply #8 Aug 13, 2011 10:48 AM
Iris wrote:

what sleepez configuration do you have?

I have the SleepEZ 10000 with firm/med/soft bottom to top, all talalay blend.  Interestingly, the cover has the pattern 'organic' all over it.

I talked to Shawn twice, told him I'm 195 lbs, 6'2" tall, mostly side sleeper with an old right shoulder injury.  He said I fall 'right in the middle' for this setup.  Initial impressions are quite good:  I feel well supported, it's quite cool, comfortable.  pretty easy to turn over.  I feel good about it at this point.  Good chance I'll order my slatted foundation today, get it off that 4 week old Serta iComfort 'box spring' , yuck. 

This message was modified Aug 13, 2011 by slpngoc

Recent Posts