Compare latex mattresses - EcoCloud, CozyPure, FloBed, and even Simmons Black Viola
Jan 10, 2009 5:52 AM
Hi, I'm trying to buy a new mattress, and i'm looking for a few tips. Our current bed is a Sterns & Foster Firm Euro-Pillowtop, which now has massive body impressions that are messing up my back (since i'm a back sleeper). My fiance (a side sleeper) of course loves the ultra poofy luxuriousness of the pillowtop, and doesn't mind that the foam collapses after a minute of laying on it.

So my goal is to find a soft and comfortable, yet supportive and durable mattress. Ideally with some amount of "luxury" feel to the quilting, rather than just a very thin cotton cover with a tiny bit of wool.

I started looking at Simmons, but ruled out everything except the Beautyrest Black Viola (with a tiny bit of latex in it), since the top quilting seems soft and luxurious yet not very tall (it's not a pillowtop), so i would think less prone to impressions. And it does feel like a "normal" bed, at least while trying it in macys. That said, i've read lots of bad things about Simmons sagging too soon. But i wonder if their Black (non-pillowtop) line is any better. Anyone know about this one?

Other than that, I'm leaning toward latex. After reading this forum i know lots of people are very happy with FloBed, SleepEZ, and SavvyRest, all on my list. But i'm also looking at a few others too that i haven't found much talk about, and i wonder if anyone can offer pros and cons, or comments about the quilting/cover.

- ECO-CLOUD "Awareness" (from TheNaturalMattressStore.com)
I saw this last week in the store. Seems very good but expensive ($3200 out the door). Nice soft cover.

- ECO-CLOUD "Clarity" (from TheNaturalMattressStore.com)
similar to Awareness but has coils between 2 layers of latex, so it only has 4" of latex.

- COZYPURE.com "Caress" or "Embrace"
This seems to have some latex in the cover, making it much more luxurious, but i can't find any reviews or comments on it anywhere. The top quilting looks almost like SleepTek's GreenSleep. Also pretty expensive. Has "zones". Unlike most others, it does not unzip.

- FLO BED Natural Latex
They only use Talalay, while most others seem to use Dunlop in the lower layers, or at least offer it. Cover seems much more poofy (in a good way) than most others, but hard to tell from the site's photos. *Can anyone describe the FloBed cover/quilt?

- SAVVY REST "Serenity"
i saw this today at a local SF BayArea store, and didn't love the cover.. it felt like cotton canvas.

- SLEEP-EZ "10000"
the cover seems thin and not very luxurious. Also the cheapest of the bunch, which almost makes me wonder a bit.

Any comments or insight are greatly appreciated !
-todd

Recent Posts