PU/Latex/Memory Foam Mattress
Oct 28, 2007 7:19 PM
Has anyone put together a mattress with PU base, latex in the middle, and memory foam on top? I was laying on a Simmons ComforPedic the other day with this configuration. It felt like Temperpedic support laying in it, but it didn’t have that hard feel when you roll over or sit on it – it actually had a little spring to it. When I was looking at it in a showroom, I was able to see some of the specs on the sheet the sales person was holding:

Top layer: 4.5” 5.5lb memory foam – ILD unknown, but possibly 2 different foam ILDs (springs back faster than Temperpedic)
    Middle layer: 2" 24 ILD latex (said it was to dissipate heat)
    Bottom: 7" 30 ILD foam (I'm assuming it's PU, but I'm not sure???)

From what I've been reading about foam lately, I thought a combination like this would be too soft, but it was really supportive. After laying in it for awhile, it did seem a lot cooler and more comfortable than a Temperpedic. The price for the above configuration was $4200. Any ideas on putting one together for a lot cheaper?

Re: PU/Latex/Memory Foam Mattress
Reply #88 Nov 29, 2007 8:28 PM
I wonder what is the ILD of the Brylane toppers. 
Reply #89 Nov 30, 2007 12:28 AM
I think my back is getting tired of foam, period. ANY kind of foam. That includes latex and memory foam. I almost wish I had gone with something made of cotton filling like the McRoskey or maybe one of the higher end Kluft ot Aireloom matresses. Oh, don't get me wrong. All my mattresses in the last several years have had foam in them. But, it just seems not so MUCH! Also, as I get older, I just think my back and hips crave a different type of experience in a mattress. But, WHAT???!!! On the one hand, I loved the billowy feeling that my down alternative fiber bed gave me when it was on top of latex and memory foam. But, on the other hand, after awhile it tends to sink in and that can wreak havoc on my lower back. So, I am at a standstill as to what kind of mattress my body will adapt to for the duration. This right lower back pain is NOT going away!
Reply #90 Nov 30, 2007 7:09 AM
After last night, the memory foam is definitely going back. My girlfriend is starting to get lower back pain in the morning now. She's a nursing student, so she's at her house on nights she has classes during the week and she's even starting to like her worn out innerspring mattress at home more than the thick memory foam. I have a firm, but springy King Coil in my guest bedroom that we would probably use if it wasn't so small. We are starting to think that a normal medium to firm innerspring mattress is the most comfortable to wake up in. That's why I questioned the 32 ILD latex for, I guess you could say, a pre-comfort layer and not the actual comfort layer. More like a layer to give some supportive spring to the bed that the polyurethane doesn't provide, but I don't want to feel like the middle of the mattress is sagging. My thought was that I can always order more foam and get softer as I go up, as long as I don't go over 13" to 14" mattress thickness. I would assume the 32 ILD latex would be a little softer (and have more spring) than my 36 ILD poly foam. After reading Batman's reply on "Is 20ILD latex soft enough for top layer?", it sounds like 20 ILD latex would be too soft to offer the support that I'm looking for in this layer. To add a little more confusion, I was reading some of the old posts here and some thought the 20 ILD was was useless, then I've read other posts on all latex mattress and most people did not go below 28 ILD for their top 2.8" layer, or it was too soft. I'm going to assume most of these people are talking about LI latex? Can someone compare the FBM latex in 20 and 32 ILD to equivalent LI ILD?
This message was modified Nov 30, 2007 by steve2u
Reply #91 Nov 30, 2007 4:14 PM
I wish that I could just have a mattress that feels good "as is". That means not having to make it more comfortable with various toppers. Sure, maybe one thin-to-medium layer of softness would be fine. But this business of needing 4-5 inches of toppers in order to make it feel good...only to STILL have my back hurt...is just wrong. Not to mention, that my sheets don't fit now. AND, I need a step stool to get into bed!

Well, I'm going to keep tweaking it until I finally come up with the perfect match. I sure hope that doesn't mean going with an entirely different mattress. OR that my back pain is related to more than just my mattress. On the other hand, that might be a GOOD thing. At least I could stop my quest for the perfect bed.

steve2u wrote:
After last night, the memory foam is definitely going back. My girlfriend is starting to get lower back pain in the morning now. She's a nursing student, so she's at her house on nights she has classes during the week and she's even starting to like her worn out innerspring mattress at home more than the thick memory foam. I have a firm, but springy King Coil in my guest bedroom that we would probably use if it wasn't so small. We are starting to think that a normal medium to firm innerspring mattress is the most comfortable to wake up in. That's why I questioned the 32 ILD latex for, I guess you could say, a pre-comfort layer and not the actual comfort layer. More like a layer to give some supportive spring to the bed that the polyurethane doesn't provide, but I don't want to feel like the middle of the mattress is sagging. My thought was that I can always order more foam and get softer as I go up, as long as I don't go over 13" to 14" mattress thickness. I would assume the 32 ILD latex would be a little softer (and have more spring) than my 36 ILD poly foam. After reading Batman's reply on "Is 20ILD latex soft enough for top layer?", it sounds like 20 ILD latex would be too soft to offer the support that I'm looking for in this layer. To add a little more confusion, I was reading some of the old posts here and some thought the 20 ILD was was useless, then I've read other posts on all latex mattress and most people did not go below 28 ILD for their top 2.8" layer, or it was too soft. I'm going to assume most of these people are talking about LI latex? Can someone compare the FBM latex in 20 and 32 ILD to equivalent LI ILD?
Reply #92 Nov 30, 2007 4:19 PM
Well, my FBM 20ILD 1" topper came in today. I noticed barely any smell, and it is pretty soft. In fact, I'd guess it to be 20 or maybe a little softer. The softness must depend upon which layer of the core you happen to get. We'll sleep on it tonight and report back, but after laying on it for several minutes, it felt great.
Reply #93 Dec 17, 2007 10:08 AM
Update: I'm still waiting on my 2" 32 ILD latex from FBM - they said they were waiting on their latex order to come in and that it would ship Friday, but I never received a tracking number...I'm sure it hasn't shipped yet. They were really fast to ship when I ordered my PU foam. I should have my case from FoamOrder on Thursday and will report on that when I get it. I'm still sleeping on 4" Lux and 3" HD36 and it's very firm!

I went to Costco this weekend with my almost 2 1/2 year old Sealy Fenway and they took it back with no problems. I probably could've told them I didn't like the color anymore and that would've been okay. They really do back up what they sell.
Reply #94 Dec 17, 2007 12:07 PM
steve2u wrote:
Update: I'm still waiting on my 2" 32 ILD latex from FBM - they said they were waiting on their latex order to come in and that it would ship Friday, but I never received a tracking number...I'm sure it hasn't shipped yet. They were really fast to ship when I ordered my PU foam. I should have my case from FoamOrder on Thursday and will report on that when I get it. I'm still sleeping on 4" Lux and 3" HD36 and it's very firm!

I went to Costco this weekend with my almost 2 1/2 year old Sealy Fenway and they took it back with no problems. I probably could've told them I didn't like the color anymore and that would've been okay. They really do back up what they sell.

I emailed them this morning asking for a tracking #.  My 2" 32ILD shipped on Friday, yours may have also.
Reply #95 Dec 17, 2007 12:49 PM
Thanks for the info!
Reply #96 Dec 17, 2007 7:42 PM
For the record, I am quite disapointed with FBM's customer service.  I placed my order on the morning of the 4th, and had expected delivery by the 14th latest.  Only through this forum and earlier today did I discover they were out of stock. 

An explainatory email once they discovered they couldn't fill my order was in order.  I have no issue with the quality or price.

Edit: I guess this proves the old adage: Quality, Price, Service; you can have only two.

Even in the internet age.

This message was modified Dec 17, 2007 by ericgl
Reply #97 Dec 18, 2007 10:56 AM
ericgl wrote:
An explainatory email once they discovered they couldn't fill my order was in order.  I have no issue with the quality or price.

At least you got an email. I was told it would ship Friday and had to send them two emails on Monday before they sent me my tracking number. I'm not sure if actually has shipped yet - UPS is still showing "Billing Information Received". Fortunately, it only takes 2 days from Michigan to Minnesota. Hopefully they'll have enough latex in stock if I decide to order another 2" topper.

Recent Posts