PU/Latex/Memory Foam Mattress
Oct 28, 2007 7:19 PM
Has anyone put together a mattress with PU base, latex in the middle, and memory foam on top? I was laying on a Simmons ComforPedic the other day with this configuration. It felt like Temperpedic support laying in it, but it didn’t have that hard feel when you roll over or sit on it – it actually had a little spring to it. When I was looking at it in a showroom, I was able to see some of the specs on the sheet the sales person was holding:

Top layer: 4.5” 5.5lb memory foam – ILD unknown, but possibly 2 different foam ILDs (springs back faster than Temperpedic)
    Middle layer: 2" 24 ILD latex (said it was to dissipate heat)
    Bottom: 7" 30 ILD foam (I'm assuming it's PU, but I'm not sure???)

From what I've been reading about foam lately, I thought a combination like this would be too soft, but it was really supportive. After laying in it for awhile, it did seem a lot cooler and more comfortable than a Temperpedic. The price for the above configuration was $4200. Any ideas on putting one together for a lot cheaper?

Re: PU/Latex/Memory Foam Mattress
Reply #78 Nov 27, 2007 2:05 PM
How would 3" of FBM 32 ILD latex compare to my 3" Sensus topper? It sounds like latex is generally softer than poly at the same ILD. I'm a little gun shy about going too soft now. I rather be on the firm side and add soft poly or something else on top of the latex if needed. I may even try sleeping on my 36 ILD poly with a comforter under me (for a little extra softness) for a few days. This may be a little bit hard for side sleeping, but I seem to keep waking up on my stomach with the Senus topper for some reason, so it probably won't matter.
Reply #79 Nov 27, 2007 2:17 PM
A couple of my recent posts were not viewable unless you hit "all" to view the entire thread. Sorry if there's repeats in your browser, but here they are again:

Update:

I received my foam from FBM and it was the correct density - it's sad that I'm surprised at this. The foundation construction is going a little slower than expected, but they should be pretty strong. Here's a link to a few pictures: http://www.visi.com/~stevet/bed.html

I'm still thinking about returning my Sensus topper. I noticed this morning that the spot where I slept throughout the night was like Jello an hour after I got out of bed. The edges of the bed were much more firm. I think that the Sensus topper may be too sensitive to heat for me - it just doesn't seem like it could offer adequate support when it's that soft.

How would 3" of FBM 32 ILD latex compare to my 3" Sensus topper? It sounds like latex is generally softer than poly at the same ILD. I'm a little gun shy about going too soft now. I rather be on the firm side and add soft poly or something else on top of the latex if needed. I may even try sleeping on my 36 ILD poly with a comforter under me (for a little extra softness) for a few days. This may be a little bit hard for side sleeping, but I seem to keep waking up on my stomach with the Sensus topper for some reason, so it probably won't matter.
Reply #80 Nov 27, 2007 4:30 PM
Fascinating thread this has been, Steve...

So, I've been thinking about the following:

2" Foamex Venus
3" FBM Talalay 20ILD
3" FBM HD36 HQ
3" FBM LUX HQ

I wonder if it will be firm enough... I'm 180lbs 5'8" with back and neck probs...
I do side sleep at times, so softness is key...

Any advice?

TIA...

-Jay
Reply #81 Nov 27, 2007 5:51 PM
steve2u wrote:
I'm still thinking about returning my Sensus topper. I noticed this morning that the spot where I slept throughout the night was like Jello an hour after I got out of bed. The edges of the bed were much more firm. I think that the Sensus topper may be too sensitive to heat for me - it just doesn't seem like it could offer adequate support when it's that soft.

Sensus was not designed to provide support, it was designed as a comfort layer.  You don't want to go too thick with your comfort layers unless you have fibromyalgia or something like that.

32 ILD latex will be MUCH firmer than the Sensus.  A whole different feel, not even in the same ballpark.  I don't know if that will be good or bad for you.  32 ILD latex is generally not considered a pure comfort layer.

Reply #82 Nov 27, 2007 6:19 PM
Foam Nerd
I had a 2" ILD 32 latex topper from FBM. I was using it under something else, not as a topmost comfort layer, and I still found it to be too firm for side sleeping. I was "afraid" to go all the way to 2" of ILD 20 so I compromised on 1" of 20 and 1" of 32. Still too firm so now I have 2" of the softest latex I can find on order.

Moral: this forum is very much of the firmer is better persuasion, and for the support layer I agree (up to a point anyway), but for me this does not extend to the comfort layers. I would have been perfectly happy with any of my configurations if I slept on my back, but for side sleeping it was very easy to go too firm.

Reply #83 Nov 27, 2007 6:32 PM
Steve, I would recommend 2" of Isoform. It isn't supposed to be as soft as Sensus, and is supposed to be cooler. But you may be one who cannot sleep on memo foam at all. You could try a 1.5" to 2" eggcrate PU topper on your current base foam. They are pretty cheap and could be discarded every other year. Two inches of 20ILD latex may work for you, but I have to agree that 32 seems too hard on top of your pretty firm PU. How firm does that  50ILD LUX feel, any way?
Reply #84 Nov 28, 2007 11:42 AM
donw wrote:
How firm does that  50ILD LUX feel, any way?

The LUX is very firm, but seems like the right idea for the bottom layer. You don't sink in much at all laying directly on it. The 36 ILD is still pretty firm, but allows you to sink in a little.

I never did receive my Isoform sample. Maybe 2" of 32 ILD latex under 2" of soft poly or 2" of 20 ILD latex would be better for me?
Reply #85 Nov 29, 2007 11:03 AM
Here's my latest idea:
1" soft poly
2" of 20 ILD latex
2" of 32 ILD latex
or
1" soft poly
1" of 20 ILD latex
3" of 32 ILD latex
<over >
3" 36 ILD poly
4" 50 ILD poly

With this configuration, do you think this would be supportive with a soft feel (I'm 175 lbs.)? I want to make sure I don't have a hammock effect - sounds like it's common with too soft of latex used in the lower layers. Do most of you with latex prefer to sleep directly on a soft latex without the poly foam?
Reply #86 Nov 29, 2007 6:18 PM
The problem with the foambymail 20 ILD latex is that it is really too firm.  I had to take out my 32 ILD Latex International (tested at 32 ILD) topper and put that on top.  This is softer than the 20 ILD from foambymail.com

1 or 2 inches of 14 ILD LI talalay would be very nice on top.  The trouble is, where do you find that, and at what price?  When Mark (batman) used to own memoryfoam.com he used to sell it for a fair price, although only in 3" thickness which seemed too thick to me.  However the feel was heavenly.....

Otherwise memory foam is nice as a top layer.  Get the 1.5" thick memory foam from Walmart.  That stuff is very nice on top.  However it won't last forever.

Good luck.

This message was modified Nov 29, 2007 by MequonJim
Reply #87 Nov 29, 2007 6:40 PM
Jim, I wish you'd seen and responded to my post "is 20ild latex soft enough for top layer" I went and bought a 1" top from FBM, hoping it would work for the very top layer, but it sounds like (at least the one you got) was more firm than your LI 32. I'm hoping for less than 20. I'll let you know when mine comes in.

Recent Posts