pillow report: LI Rejuvenite Newform firm & JCPenney med zoned talalay latex
Sep 10, 2007 12:26 AM
First, the Rejevenite. We received this pillow free with our MyComfort bed purchase. My wife has been sleeping on it and loves it. I tried it and found it near perfect, too. It is hard to believe it is a firm, however, since your head sinks so readily into it. It has a loft of about 6.5"-7", but my head sinks to near the bottom. This is not too much of a problem, as I could "scrunch" up the pillow and it would remain scrunched. It doesn't feel like it is pushing back too much like other latex pillows, yet it has that great latex support when bottomed out, and slight bounce when head is lifted. Although I could use a little more loft to place my head higher when bottomed out, I would not want this pilow harder - I love its softness. Just a note, we received this pillow off the floor (not in plastic), so I actually question if this is a firm (the pillow could have been switched out of its cover which is labeled.) I would probably buy one like it for me, but I can't find one for less than $89. So...

I bought a JCPenney zoned latex after reading about it here ($35). Presumably, it is made by LI, as LI lists JCP as a retailer on their website. It looks just like LI's picture of their zoned - with smaller holes around the edge and larger ones in the middle. I did not find the center to be that much softer than the edges. In fact, for a pillow labeled medium, this one was extremely firm. My head would have had to weigh twice as much to sink to a level that was comfortable. Both on my side and on my back, I felt like my head was too high, leaving my neck angling slightly up - ouch! I didn't make it through a whole night. Also, comparing the two, the JCP weighs a lot more.

Looking for something in between the two, I have ordered the Simmons Beautirest talalay firm latex from Amazon for $40 shipped. The reviews said it really isn't very firm - I'm hoping that is true. I'll have it in a couple of days and will report.
Re: pillow report: LI Rejuvenite Newform firm & JCPenney med zoned talalay latex
Reply #5 Sep 11, 2007 11:10 AM
donw wrote:
Jim, I saw quite a bit of posts from you while searching old pillow threads. Did you ever find the perfect pillow for you?

I really like the LI soft pillow for back sleeping.  For side sleeping I would want something firmer.  Firmer than the JCPenney pillow as well.
Re: pillow report: LI Rejuvenite Newform firm & JCPenney med zoned talalay latex
Reply #6 Sep 12, 2007 9:36 AM
I also have this pillow as well:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_096DM016000P?vName=For+the+Home&keyword=latex

The Natura DreamMate is firm enough for side sleeping.  Maybe even a bit too firm.  Since it has bits of latex inside, you can conform the shape and make it stay in that form, if you are interested in that.
Reply #7 Sep 12, 2007 12:25 PM
Jim, I think it was your comment I saw in a previous post regarding the DreamMate being a bit too firm that kept me from trying that one next instead of the Simmons. If the Simmons is not perfect, I seriously may end up shredding it with my food processor to make my own soft granulated pillow. My only concern would be if there would be enough latex to fill the cover, since the solid pillows have holes, which take up space. According to reviews on Epinions, the Simmons is supposed to be rather soft.
This message was modified Sep 12, 2007 by donw
Reply #8 Sep 12, 2007 2:57 PM
I once made my own latex pillow like that.  I did not try the food processor.  The best i could do was shred with a scissors, which was a tedious task.  I remember that the latex smelled bad when I was cutting it.  I also remember it being difficult to cut.  I hope it doesn't wreck your food processor.  If you have an old food processor, try it in that one.  Another method I used was pulling it apart, bit by bit, and then pulling the bits apart to make them smaller.  That was tedious also.

I have bought a lot of stuff over the years to try and get comfortable.  All sorts of pillows.  Memory foam, down, poly fill, latex, you name it.  I have also purchased a lot of different toppers and cores to build my own mattress.  I think I have tried all of the materials available, except this intelligel type stuff.  I have had inner springs, waterbeds, air beds, memory foam, latex, imitation latex (poly in disguise), feather beds.  I guess I haven't tried a wool topper yet.

What a hassle.  Oh well, I guess in the end it is worth it.  I decided it was worth the effort since I spend about a 1/3 of my life in bed.
This message was modified Sep 12, 2007 by MequonJim
Reply #9 Sep 12, 2007 3:05 PM
So, how was your home-made shredded pillow? (and was it soft latex to begin with?)
Reply #10 Sep 12, 2007 5:57 PM
I didn't have enough soft latex to make mine.  I had a 1' X 1' square that was 3" thick.  It was 14 ILD talatech.  It seemed promising, but it was too hard to tell with that little material.  The material was just a sample I purchased from a seller of latex.

Let me know how yours works out, if you do it.
Reply #11 Sep 16, 2007 12:44 AM
I purchased the JCPenney medium zoned latex foam pillow yesterday.  I see Pennys is on the LI website but the pillow tag says filled by Louisville Bedding Co.  Covering : 75% COTTON / 25% POLYESTER     100% LATEX FOAM RUBBER. It says SHELL MADE  IN CHINA / FILLED AND FINISHED IN THE U.S.A.  Another tag says TALALAY LATEX FOAM   Bed Pillow. My question is how to tell who and where the foam was made.
Reply #12 Sep 16, 2007 9:20 AM
I guess you have to put the clues together.

Since the inside is 100% latex foam rubber, and it is talalay latex foam, plus it is filled and finished in the USA that leads you to think it might be Latex International.  However, if you own another latex international pillow (known to be from them), you will recognize the mold # information that is part of your pillow.  You will also learn to recognize LI's product by looks and feel over time.

There may have been a press release by LI about supplying Louisville Bedding Co. at some point.  I can't remember for sure.
Reply #13 Sep 16, 2007 1:48 PM
I checked and the mold #  is  .... 252165-10 Standard Cavity NO  5    ....  does this look like an LI number?   I guess I need to contact LI to  find out what the deal is.  I am just beginning this trip through trial and error of mattress/pillow land and so far it's them 3 me 0. Oh well, live and learn I guess because whats good for one person isn't going to be the answer for others.
This message was modified Sep 16, 2007 by midfla1
Reply #14 Sep 16, 2007 6:51 PM
That definitely sounds like LI.  I don't know of any other manufacturer using that mold # system to mark their pillows.  If anyone knows of one, please say something.

Recent Posts