The perfect Memo Foam/Latex/PU mattress for $706
Nov 19, 2007 2:06 PM
Okay, as you may have noticed, I've been obsessing about a perfect foam mattress design, and I think I finally have it. It is made of multiple 2" layers of very dense foams for longevity and versatility (1" layers are very delicate). One can arrange the layers in a number of different orders to achieve the feel they are looking for. This some what limits the risk out of buying on-line (of course there is the risk that FBM gets your foam wrong the first time.) But you should not have to abandon a layer. This is a 10" mattress, which leaves 2 additional inches you could add if you need to soften it up and maintain a 12" maximum thickness (even deep pocket sheets do not fit if thicker than 12".) I think that by mixing dense PU foam and latex, you could achieve the support and softness that some people have not been able to achieve with latex alone. Also, if you find that you do not like the springy feel of so much latex, you could move some of the PU further up, dampening the "jiggle". One could order all the layers in split sizes except for the memo foam top, which should be single piece. This would allow each partner to arrange his/her side independently. Here goes.

2" Isoform memo foam (5lb dense, 17-19ILD - said to be more firm than most memo and more breathable, got highest ratings on epinions) $150

2" FBM 20ILD talalay latex  (placing this next to the memo foam topper may work as a heat sink, helping to further ventilate the memo foam.) $160

2" FBM 36ILD HQ foam (2.5 lb dense base foam) $111

2" FBM 32ILD talalay latex  $170

2" FBM LUX HQ foam (2.9 lb dense, approx 50ILD base foam) $115

All prices are for king size, shipped (except Isoform, which may charge $20 shipping or so. I've heard you can call and get free shipping.)

Again, one should weigh, individually, the HQ foam form FBM to assure that they sent the correct density. I would also consider calling them and placing the order by phone, letting them know you will weigh the foam when it arrives -- got to keep 'em honest! Feel free to recommend changes to the "perfect" foam mattress.

This message was modified Nov 19, 2007 by donw

Recent Posts