The perfect latex/PU foam mattress for $766
Dec 1, 2007 1:40 PM
Okay, we like our 1" 20ILD FBM topper so much that I started working on a theoretical "perfect" latex and PU foam mattress. It is made of multiple 2" layers of very dense foams and a 1" soft latex top, for longevity and versatility. One can arrange the layers in a number of different orders to achieve the feel they are looking for, and not risk having to send a layer back. This some what limits the risk of buying on-line. Steve2U had good luck in getting FBM to ship the correct density HQ foam, so I do not think you'd have to worry about that. And PU foam in 2.5 to 2.9lb density should last 10-15 years. This is an 11" mattress, which leaves 1 additional inch you could add if you need to soften it up and maintain a 12" maximum thickness. If you need more support, just move one of the PU layers (36 or 50ILD) closer to the top. One could order all the layers in split sizes except for the 20ILD top (and maybe one of the 32ILD layers), which should be single piece. This would allow each partner to arrange his/her side independently.

1" FBM 20ILD talalay latex  $85 (or 1" BrylaneHome latex topper, pending reviews here) $65

2" FBM 32ILD talalay latex  $170

2" FBM 36ILD HQ foam (2.5 lb dense base foam) $111

2" FBM 32ILD talalay latex  $170

2" FBM LUX HQ foam (2.9 lb dense, approx 50ILD base foam) $115

2" FBM LUX HQ foam (2.9 lb dense, approx 50ILD base foam) $115

All prices are for king size, shipped. Again, one should weigh, individually, the HQ foam form FBM to assure that they sent the correct density. I haven't bothered with zoning, as all the cutting and gluing seems daunting. Feel free to recommend changes to the "perfect" foam mattress.

Re: The perfect latex/PU foam mattress for $766
Reply #7 Dec 3, 2007 2:49 PM
I actually want my latex layer to be a little on the firm side to give my mattress a little more spring than the poly gives. I'll still have a lot of room to soften it up if needed. Maybe I'll look into 1" of 20ILD latex instead of soft poly.
Reply #8 Dec 5, 2007 6:05 AM
I'd go with the 20 ILD latex over soft PU any day. Soft latex will last at least 15 years (provided you keep it covered and protected from UV light.) Soft PU foam will last maybe 3 years if you're lucky, and will probably compress long before it starts to degrade.
This message was modified Dec 5, 2007 by cloud9
Reply #9 Dec 8, 2007 8:23 AM
If I could do it again:

2" FBM 20ILD talalay latex $160

4" FBM 32ILD talalay latex  $340

2" FBM 36ILD HQ foam (2.5 lb dense base foam) $80

4" FBM LUX HQ foam (2.9 lb dense, approx 50ILD base foam) $161

Reply #10 Dec 8, 2007 8:39 AM
To be honest, I find all this you guys are doing very confusing. Not sure how you figure out what you need for a built yourself foam bed?
Reply #11 Dec 8, 2007 12:45 PM
Novahelp, my concept here is to order multiple thin (2" or less) layers of varying firmness, so that one could rearrange the order of them to achieve the balance of softness and support that works best for them. Latex for comfort layers and HQ PU foam for base layers. If it's still not soft enough, then one could order another latex comfort layer.
Reply #12 Dec 8, 2007 2:15 PM
donw wrote:
Novahelp, my concept here is to order multiple thin (2" or less) layers of varying firmness, so that one could rearrange the order of them to achieve the balance of softness and support that works best for them. Latex for comfort layers and HQ PU foam for base layers. If it's still not soft enough, then one could order another latex comfort layer.

Seems like it is a bit of a gamble given the cost to ship foams back and forth right?
Reply #13 Dec 8, 2007 4:48 PM
novahelp wrote:
Seems like it is a bit of a gamble given the cost to ship foams back and forth right?

Sure, but the upside is getting a mattress that will last far longer than the S brands for a reasonable price. 

Once I weighed my options, I chose the DIY approach, Flobeds and Sleepez were in the running, but they suffer fron the same shipping issue.

Reply #14 Dec 9, 2007 12:47 PM
Foam Nerd
The cost to ship a "quarter core" of latex - half thickness and half the width of a full core, is about $30. If you choose wisely, you are likely to get it right on the first try. If not then on the second. There are a few (of us) who obsessively search for "perfection," but that's the exception rather than the rule. From my own personal experience, I would have saved many hundreds dollars by buying one of these kit mattresses rather than doing it myself, and would have saved myself a ton of time. You just have to get over the initial sticker shock of an all-latex mattress. I didn't want to spend that much on a mattress, but liked the idea of going all latex, and thought I could save some money by doing it myself, but ended up spending even more in the end.

These hybrid latex/polyurethane mattresses do provide an opportunity to save money over an all-latex mattress. They are still rather "experimental" though. There have been various attempts (Google Cheaperpedic) but not a lot of satisfied customers. Hopefully donw, steve2u, ericgl, etal will blaze a trail and come up with a reliable formula.
Reply #15 Dec 9, 2007 1:43 PM
haysdb wrote:
The cost to ship a "quarter core" of latex - half thickness and half the width of a full core, is about $30. If you choose wisely, you are likely to get it right on the first try. If not then on the second. There are a few (of us) who obsessively search for "perfection," but that's the exception rather than the rule. From my own personal experience, I would have saved many hundreds dollars by buying one of these kit mattresses rather than doing it myself, and would have saved myself a ton of time. You just have to get over the initial sticker shock of an all-latex mattress. I didn't want to spend that much on a mattress, but liked the idea of going all latex, and thought I could save some money by doing it myself, but ended up spending even more in the end.

These hybrid latex/polyurethane mattresses do provide an opportunity to save money over an all-latex mattress. They are still rather "experimental" though. There have been various attempts (Google Cheaperpedic) but not a lot of satisfied customers. Hopefully donw, steve2u, ericgl, etal will blaze a trail and come up with a reliable formula.

That's what I thought. Get over the sticker shock, and have a much easier experience getting a bed :)  Right now, I am going to be calling sleepez today to get their thoughts. Looking like will bite the bullet and spend the $1600 on a Cal King if needed.

In some ways, if your time is money, it is more expensive to do DIY over a pre-made kit considering the time and effort involved...
Reply #16 Dec 11, 2007 2:16 AM
Foam Nerd
novahelp wrote:
if your time is money, it is more expensive to do DIY over a pre-made kit considering the time and effort involved...

Absolutely true.

Recent Posts