The perfect latex/PU foam mattress for $766
Dec 1, 2007 1:40 PM
Okay, we like our 1" 20ILD FBM topper so much that I started working on a theoretical "perfect" latex and PU foam mattress. It is made of multiple 2" layers of very dense foams and a 1" soft latex top, for longevity and versatility. One can arrange the layers in a number of different orders to achieve the feel they are looking for, and not risk having to send a layer back. This some what limits the risk of buying on-line. Steve2U had good luck in getting FBM to ship the correct density HQ foam, so I do not think you'd have to worry about that. And PU foam in 2.5 to 2.9lb density should last 10-15 years. This is an 11" mattress, which leaves 1 additional inch you could add if you need to soften it up and maintain a 12" maximum thickness. If you need more support, just move one of the PU layers (36 or 50ILD) closer to the top. One could order all the layers in split sizes except for the 20ILD top (and maybe one of the 32ILD layers), which should be single piece. This would allow each partner to arrange his/her side independently.

1" FBM 20ILD talalay latex  $85 (or 1" BrylaneHome latex topper, pending reviews here) $65

2" FBM 32ILD talalay latex  $170

2" FBM 36ILD HQ foam (2.5 lb dense base foam) $111

2" FBM 32ILD talalay latex  $170

2" FBM LUX HQ foam (2.9 lb dense, approx 50ILD base foam) $115

2" FBM LUX HQ foam (2.9 lb dense, approx 50ILD base foam) $115

All prices are for king size, shipped. Again, one should weigh, individually, the HQ foam form FBM to assure that they sent the correct density. I haven't bothered with zoning, as all the cutting and gluing seems daunting. Feel free to recommend changes to the "perfect" foam mattress.

Recent Posts