Oh noooooo! My right lower back pain is baaaaack! :(
Oct 26, 2007 2:42 PM
Okay, I've been putting off reporting this because I was hoping it was just temporary and would go right away. So far, it hasn't. My right lower back is hurting again! But the ovarian cyst is out, as well as the ovary! Phantom pain?

I was pain-free in that area immediately after the surgery, as well as a good several days after I got home. THEN, after sleeping, I noticed I would wake up with that same pain in my right lower back. Hmmmm....my mattress felt comfy. None of the same lower back pain when I felt like my coils were causing a slight hammocking effect. No, none of that. I could turn comfortably in bed without feeling the need to pry myself out of a hole. So WHY is my back hurting only in this area??!!

Last night I decided to put the new 2" 4lbs. memory foam topper on from SleepWarehouse. It wasn't over my weight-lifting limit. (I don't think.) So, I took off the 1" Overstock latex which was under my Cuddle Bed fiberbed. Under that is the 1 inch 32" ILD latex layer. I left that and added in the soft latex' place, the memory foam. Feels denser than the cheap 1" stuff from Overstock. I put the Cuddle Bed over that and went to bed. A different feel than the latex, for sure. More of a "thud" rather than a "bounce". But comfy nonetheless. I slept fine, except once in awhile I would feel that right sided back pain if I moved a certain way. But, again, none of the lower back pain I had with the flexible coils. I did feel the memory foam was more comfortable when I laid on my back vs. my sides. Could be that I still have small, healing incisons and "innards".

Anyway, when I'm able to, I might try putting my thicker fiberbed over the memory foam or even my new featherbed. I have to wait to lift those, though. Way too heavy.

I still don't understand what's causing this back pain. I mentioned to my Gyn and she recommended seeing a Physical Therapist as soon as I have the clearance from her and the other doc. Not sure if that would help. I'm thinking more on the lines of a Chiropractor.

In the meantime, I sure hope I'm going to spend the rest of my life tweaking the toppers on my mattress....or what's inside, either. Sheesh.

By the way, haysdb, I don't feel it's the thin plywood over my coils causing this at all. I don't feel myself bottoming out onto the rigid surface. And, just the fact that I'm not having that same hammocking-type back pain is encouraging.

So, we shall see! I honestly wish it was fallout from my surgery and that it will go away in time. Wishful thinking, I know!
Re: Oh noooooo! My right lower back pain is baaaaack! :(
Reply #3 Oct 26, 2007 5:30 PM
Foam Nerd
I'm just repeated what she said. My own opinion is, if my back doesn't hurt during the day or when I go to bed, but hurts in the morning, I have a problem with my mattress or my pillow or SOMETHING that's happening during the night. We should not wake up worse off then when we went to bed.
Reply #4 Oct 26, 2007 11:22 PM
As it is now, it's been hurting all day. Nothing debilitating, mind you. But, the pain is there, nonetheless. Sleeping all night just exacerbates it. But. again, nothing like the pain I was having before I firmed up my springs.

haysdb wrote:
I'm just repeated what she said. My own opinion is, if my back doesn't hurt during the day or when I go to bed, but hurts in the morning, I have a problem with my mattress or my pillow or SOMETHING that's happening during the night. We should not wake up worse off then when we went to bed.
Reply #5 Oct 28, 2007 5:54 AM
I'm sorry to hear you're having back pain again. How disappointing. So many things could be responsible. You really should have your back checked out just to determine whether there is any disc degeneration. Sometimes a shot of cortisone can help.

As I've said before I don't think there is any such thing as the "perfect" mattress--one which will magically make all our aches and pains go away. I do think there are a lot of mattresses out there that contribute to them.

You've got the plywood over the coils so the lack of rigidity is probably not to blame. I keep wondering if you have too many comfort layers though. Sometimes when I'm feeling especially achey I add an extra layer of foam to my bed. Feels good for a couple of days and then I start noticing it's making my back hurt so I have to take it off again. I would suggest trying to place the least amount of toppers on the bed as you are comfortable lying on without feeling pressure points.

When you are able to test out the feather bed, try taking off all the latex  under it and just use the feather bed with either the memory foam or the 32 ILD latex over it. Feathers have a unique feel to them. They contour to your body but remain firm and supportive. But sometimes as they compress under your weight they can feel a little hard, which is why I suggest either the memory foam or a thin layer of medium latex on top of it.

Reply #6 Oct 28, 2007 9:32 AM
I agree with cloud9, that you might have too many toppers.  Even for side sleeping, the comfort layer(s) shouldn't be more than 4" thick at the maximum, in my opinion.  You don't want to be too far away from support.  For stomach sleeping your need the thinnest comfort layer you can handle.  For back sleeping, it is the middle of the road.  At least from my experience.

Any time I have built too soft of a mattress for myself (either too soft of support layers or too thick of comfort layers) I have had back pain.  Sometimes it takes a while to show up, and sometimes it takes a while to go away.  It is like a minor muscle injury, as your body tries to support you while you sleep.

Good luck to you, and I hope you find your solution.

This message was modified Oct 28, 2007 by MequonJim
Reply #7 Nov 7, 2007 9:54 PM
BeddyBye, Wondering how your back pain is?  It is not fun having back pain. 

I can now relate since I have been in so much pain since my car accident on 08-19-07 that caused me 5 herniated disks and some permanent nerve damage in my arms from holding the steering wheel so tight and maybe bending my arms and wrists since I sit so close to the steering wheel due to my petite size.  I am going for an epidural on Monday with injections to see if that will relieve the pain that is worst when driving sicne I have to turn my head to see who is behind me. Most of my disk problems are in my neck and upper back area due to being hit from behind. 

Reply #8 Nov 10, 2007 2:22 AM
Much improved, Lynn. Thank you. Now and then I still have some pain. Even right now I feel a twinge. But not enough to cause me to lose any sleep over it now, thankfully. Whatever I did to change the comfort level with my toppers really seemed to do the trick. Also, I think since it's been a month since my surgery, that's helped. I still have a bit of Costochondritis in my chest wall (came on about a week post-op). Not sure what caused it, but probably due to body mechanics...over-using the upper half of my body, worried about pulling something where I had the surgery. Either way, it's finally starting to feel better. This is the first morning when I felt so good laying in bed, I didn't want to get out. I'm telling you, if it's not one thing, it's another!

I am so sorry for your back pain, Lynn. I sure hope you're able to get some relief soon. And, is your mattress feeling okay right now? That can really make a huge difference, as we all know.

Lynn2006 wrote:
BeddyBye, Wondering how your back pain is?  It is not fun having back pain. </p><p>I can now relate since I have been in so much pain since my car accident on 08-19-07 that caused me 5 herniated disks and some permanent nerve damage in my arms from holding the steering wheel so tight and maybe bending my arms and wrists since I sit so close to the steering wheel due to my petite size.  I am going for an epidural on Monday with injections to see if that will relieve the pain that is worst when driving sicne I have to turn my head to see who is behind me. Most of my disk problems are in my neck and upper back area due to being hit from behind. 
Reply #9 Nov 11, 2007 5:52 AM
Lynn -- I'm so sorry to hear about your accident and all the pain it's caused you. Hope the therapy will give you some relief and you start to feel better soon.

BeddyBye -- Sounds promising. What combination of materials are you currently using that seems to be successful?

Reply #10 Nov 12, 2007 4:22 AM
For the topper I have from the bottom up: 1" softer ILD (Overstock latex), 1 inch 32 ILD latex, 2 inch 4 lbs. memory foam topper from SleepWarehouse and the Ultimate CuddleBed Plus over the top. A very nice feel over my ultra-firm mattress.

cloud9 wrote:
Lynn -- I'm so sorry to hear about your accident and all the pain it's caused you. Hope the therapy will give you some relief and you start to feel better soon.</p><p>BeddyBye -- Sounds promising. What combination of materials are you currently using that seems to be successful?
Epidural today : Oh noooooo! My right lower back pain is baaaaack! :(
Reply #11 Nov 13, 2007 2:03 AM
BeddyBye and Cloud9, thank you both for caring. I had the Epidural today with the cortisone shots and was nauseous when the anethesia wore away but was able to rest afterwards on my very comfortable Latex bed. But now the pain blocker has worn away so I am dreading going back to bed since I am in a lot of pain. I can't wait to take a shower tomorrow and take off the bandages to see what is underneath the one in my back. I know there is one on my arm for the anesthesia tube.  It was very stressful with my blood pressure being so high they had to wait for it to come down from the stressful drive with my friend who I do not want to drive with again since I do not want to be with someone that tail gates and switches lanes too often at high speeds and looks like he is about to hit the car in front of us.  I do not need another car accident that would maybe make me paralyzed.  I am a good driver and I was hit from behind at a red light. John is a risky driver I can see by being with him in the car.  I hope my talk with him will help him drive more carefully since he did seem to listen and that is good.  I normally have normal blood pressure.

I feel so bad for you BeddyBye that you are right, it is one thing after another.  But despite all the stress in my life, I felt blessed to come home to my furkidz (3 small Maltese and one Shih Tzu) which have become the family that I have needed for a long time. They love me so much and it felt nice to be missed and loved.

Update- Oh noooooo! My right lower back pain is baaaaack! :(
Reply #12 Nov 15, 2007 12:46 AM
I went to bed with so much pain but my bed helped so much.  I I just love the comfort, support of my latex bed and I felt blessed today that I awake also in my bedroom with a pretty headboard and a neat room since I bought the solid wood Durham bedroom set that I love so much. 

I had back pain when driving again today despite the back precedural on Monday but I learned that it takes a series of three treatments to feel much better so I will be patient. It is just when I have to turn my neck when driving that the pain starts in my neck and my shoulders and arms.  But  am blessed that today I seem to be able to reach for things without the terrible darting pain I had so the procedure did help a bit.

I can't await to go to seep in my comfortable bed now that I just finished all my laundry. 

Hoping BeddyBye's pain lessens.

Recent Posts