Newbie Questions About Buying Natural Latex Mattress
Sep 30, 2011 10:05 AM
Hello gals and guys,

I'm shopping for a new mattress and even though I think I read a ton, I decided to consult with the community before making final decision. I always trust actual folks lot more than I trust companies pushing their product.

We currently have spring mattress that was pretty expensive at the time we bought it (it was about 12 years ago I believe and we paid around $800 for it). It was good I suppose and it could still go for a while but I think it's time to make a change. It's become very heavy from all the dust accumlated in it (and who knows what else). I also have an upper back problem and I don't feel it's helping. I don't sleep well at all. I'm not sure if I should ttribute this to the mattress or it's just me getting older or it's something else. 

After doing some research, I decided to go with memory foam mattress. I first looked at TempurPedic of course but then I read reviews about how many chemicals they use and how bad it smells and how it's not really all that comfortable and I sumbled upon latex mattresses, which I didn't know existed before (yeah, I kind of live in a cave I guess). First thing I came across was Essentia. The web site is awesome and they have tons of material to read. They even have a store in NYC where I can visit (I plan to in about a week). But what alarms me a bit is their lack of accreditation and recognition. I also read they make some false claims about quality of their latex. Not sure if it's true or false or can at all be proven, but some of the things I read about them (couldn't find too much info which is also a  bit alarming) has my red flags go up. But I will give them a fair shot nevertheless.

I'm now looking at Zleep-EZ, Flobeds, SavvyRest, Natura in addition to Essentia. I think these are the major manufacturors? I want to be an equal opportunity shopper, so I hope I'm not missing anyone else.

I like rather firmer mattress, but I don't want to sleep on a rock either. My wife prefers a softer one but she doesn't want to sleep in a puddle either. I'm looking at the budget of around $3,000 (give or take couple of hundreds). I think I'm looking for at least 10" thickness which would probably make for 4 layers of latex? I see that most of the companies have 90 days layer replacement policies, but I would like to avoid making a mistake and then having 1 shot to correct it. I sleep mostly on my stomach and my wife sleeps mostly on her side. I'm not sure what layers (as far as firmness is concerned) should be in what order though. I'm also not positive I understand if I need a pillow top. I understand it takes at least couple of weeks to get used to latex especially that we slept on spings all of our lives, but I would really hate to come away being dissapointed with the matterss after shelling out 3 grands. 

Any advice/help you guys can offer is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

-Tony.

Re: Newbie Questions About Buying Natural Latex Mattress
Reply #7 Sep 30, 2011 7:45 PM
budgy wrote:

I wonder how they quantify 80% cooler.  If we are talking about temperature the temperature of any mattress will be roughly the same as it is just determined by the ambient temperature of the room and how much heat your body gives off (and your duvet/blankets keeps trapped).  If we are talking about humidity regulation which can affect the perceived temperature of something than animal hair products are going to outperform any foam product by leaps and bounds. Are they talking about how conductive their memory foam is compared to real natural rubber ( natural latex is a poor conductor of heat).  Some beds 'feel' cool to the touch because they are conductive, this of course would go away after a minute or two once both mattresses have adjusted to the heat of your body. 

I would beware any blanket statements made like this one, this is what we call marketing.

Other examples of equally useless bits of information that sounds important:

Serta Claiming iComfort memory foam is 12x more breathable than other memory foams; there are many different varieties of memory foam available all of them presumably have different air flow qualities. 

Essentia has many absolutely ridiculous blanket statements throughout the 'learning centre' on their website:

"FACT: a coil system only costs just $13."

I wonder what spring system only cost's $13, but I do know that some other spring systems can be exhorbitantly expensive...again a blanket statement designed to prey on the weak minded and the gullible.

"Innersprings have no support for back or spinal alignment."

There are many different ways to build a spring system, some support the bodies curves a lot better than others, blanket statement, equally as misleading as the one above.

"Coil/Spring mattresses are the least favorable for allergy sufferers because of their inner spring system. The inner cavity of coil mattresses creates an incubator for dust mites where dust mite feces and dead skin cells accumulate. It isn’t uncommon for mold and mildew to be found within the cavity of a coil/spring mattress due to humidity caused by the transfer of body heat. This is why typically a spring mattress will weigh 10 times its original weight after 10 years."

Absolutely bonkers-ridiculous statement.  Dust mites will not live in the core of a coil mattress they will live in the top of a coil mattress where the upholstery is.  The amount of dust mites that may thrive depends on the type of upholstery used.  But even still, lets say a really light weight queen mattress weighs just 50lbs, they are basically saying that this mattress will somehow weigh 500lbs after 10 years....if there was this much poundage of dust mites and fecal matter...don't you think you would be able to see them?  In truth dustmites and basically all micro organisms love to live in environments that are warm and moist, materials that breathe like wool and cotton do not trap in moisture, spring systems provide amazing airflow, meaning that if the right upholstery is used, innerspring mattresses should harbour less allergens than most mattresses.  Foam's lock in moisture and warmth, providing the perfect breeding ground for allergens.

Good questions. I have no idea how they can back up their claims. I will be sure to ask them these questions face to face in about 10 days. I know my innerspring mattress is darn heavy now though. I can barely lift it. It was never light but it wasn't this heavy when we got it. I'm not sure about 10 times heaver (that does sound like a completely off the wall statement) but I think it now weights twice as much as it was when we got it 12 years ago. I was also wondering about $13/coil system statetement myself. I'm sure there are mattresses that do have coil systems that cost $13 to manufacture (hell, there are still $300 innerspring queen mattresses being sold), there are also some pretty complex coil systems that should cost more than $13 (even made in China). Perhaps they mean the cost of the metal that goes into manufactoring coils is $13? 

Reply #8 Sep 30, 2011 7:50 PM
slpngoc wrote:

In addition to Budgy's post, I found good coil spring mattresses to have really good support.  It's when they put cheap batting in the quilts and lightweight foams in the 'comfort' layers that things go to pot.

I don't like button tuck quilts either.  I like a smooth, even surface.

To be fair my current mattress can still go for few years easily. I'm just not exactly sure if my sleep problems can be attributed to the mattress or it's me or something else or combination of everything. I just read many times people raving how much better they sleep on latex than innerspring so I guess I decided to try it out.The mattress we have now does have botton tuck quilt but it also came with the pillowtop, so we don't feel the buttons.

Reply #9 Sep 30, 2011 8:02 PM
slpngoc wrote:

I just meant that if you got the 4 layer mattress with different firmnesses on his/her sides, could be up to 8 layers of latex to deal with instead of six.  I would think a queen ships in 4 large boxes that you'll want to break down and save for whenever you might have to move.  Not feasible to pick up a large latex mattress and just move it.   Other hand, it's easier to move those boxes upstairs than a whole queen or king mattress. 

My opinion is that the all latex mattress sleeps a little bit warmer than a typical innerspring mattress, but it has not been a problem.  Shelved the comforter for a thin quilt.  The Tempurpedic seems to sleep a little warmer than the all latex, but it has not been a problem even when the room is 80 F going to bed and 70 F in morning.   I've read ideal room temp is about 65 F at night, and it's been above that all September.

There is a lot of types of latex.  I understand 'all natural' latex rubber can only be up to about 97% pure latex rubber.  But, I've also heard have to tap something like 1,000 rubber trees to get enough latex for one twin mattress

Not feasible to process it to make it 100% natural.  Word is only 3% of 'talalay' processed latex is made to be 'all natural'.  Vast majority of it is blended talalay. 

According to Shawn at SleepEZ, blended talalay is available in much more ILD choices whereas all natural talalay is far fewer ILD or firmnesses.  He's very nice so no harm calling him up.  I'm not very familiar with Dunlop latex except that it is a simpler processs and can't be made with uniform feel for soft latex.  I think Dunlop is usually made firmer, whereas talalay can be made very soft and firm. 

sleeplikeabear.com shows a little ILD chart for their toppers that gives some insight.

See my thread for TP Cloud vs. SleepEZ 10000.  Tempurpedic Cloud very comfortable to me.  Very picky due to old shoulder injury / arthro surgery years ago.  it ain't the same and will always hurt a little everyday.  I still don't think the SleepEZ has quite the pressure relief of the Tempurpedic.  Doesn't seem the SleepEZ needs a layer exchange cause seems it's about the best it could be.

I don't know if you're box spring would be good or not. If old, maybe best to replace it.  Check with vendor about foundation also.  On my box spring, the center slat that runs head to toe is fully supported by a center frame rail.  Keeps box from sagging in middle.

You mentioned upper back problems.  You've probably been told sleeping on stomach is generally not so good cause have to turn head to side which brings spine out of natural curve?

65 would be almost fine by me ( prefer 68), but my wife would definitely leave me the next morning. Heck, I cannot bring it down any lower than 72 during cold months. 

I looked at the chart on sleeplikeabear.com and while it's pretty nice and easy to understand, it really means nothing to me right now. I don't know what "super soft" or "extra firm" feel like and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get a good feel for it until I really sleep the whole night.

Yes, you're right...sleeping on my stomach isn't the most prefferable position but it's the way I've slept my entire life...not too easy to change now. My back actually doesn't bother me at all during the night and I'm positive it's not what prompts me to wake up few times/night.

Reply #10 Sep 30, 2011 8:07 PM
For more research on coil springs and box springs, have a look around one of Leggett and Platt's sites ...

www.beddingcomponents.com

They make tons of components for mattress manufacturers and much more.

Two big latex mfrs. are Latex International and Latexco

Carpenter Company is a huge maker of foams and materials including memory foam

http://www.carpenter.com/index.php/us/en/bedding/overview

Tempurpedic says  "since we research, design and manufacture TEMPUR® material, it’s proprietary—you’ll only find it in our products". 

This message was modified Sep 30, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #11 Sep 30, 2011 8:30 PM
If you can find a local 'natural mattress store' or place like that, it's one of the better ways to sample latex mattresses.  Serta Vera Wang's have some talalay latex over regular core foams, so can get an idea as well.

Latex is probably one of the springiest foams you will find.  Push on it and the response back is immediate.  It's a very lively type of foam. 

Reply #12 Sep 30, 2011 9:06 PM
slpngoc wrote:

If you can find a local 'natural mattress store' or place like that, it's one of the better ways to sample latex mattresses.  Serta Vera Wang's have some talalay latex over regular core foams, so can get an idea as well.

Latex is probably one of the springiest foams you will find.  Push on it and the response back is immediate.  It's a very lively type of foam. 

I will vist Essentia store here in the city and The Clean Bedroom that carries SavvyRest mattresses probably on Columbus day. 

So being the spingiest mattress out there is a good or a bad thing?

Reply #13 Oct 1, 2011 12:30 AM
Tony_ wrote:

I will vist Essentia store here in the city and The Clean Bedroom that carries SavvyRest mattresses probably on Columbus day. 

So being the spingiest mattress out there is a good or a bad thing?

Good things - supportive, comfortable, long lasting

not so much - heavy, kinda pricey, DIY work putting all latex mattress together.

This message was modified Oct 1, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #14 Oct 1, 2011 12:14 PM
Tony_ wrote:

..... You find TempurPedic to be more comfortable than your SleepEZ 10000?

Thanks,

-Tony.

Just wanted to respond to this question again.  Hard to say one is more comfortable than the other really.  They feel different, but both very good.  Tempurpedic is on an adjustable base which is nice.

- see below - 

This message was modified Oct 4, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #15 Oct 1, 2011 1:06 PM
Tony_ wrote:

Good questions. I have no idea how they can back up their claims. I will be sure to ask them these questions face to face in about 10 days. I know my innerspring mattress is darn heavy now though. I can barely lift it. It was never light but it wasn't this heavy when we got it. I'm not sure about 10 times heaver (that does sound like a completely off the wall statement) but I think it now weights twice as much as it was when we got it 12 years ago. I was also wondering about $13/coil system statetement myself. I'm sure there are mattresses that do have coil systems that cost $13 to manufacture (hell, there are still $300 innerspring queen mattresses being sold), there are also some pretty complex coil systems that should cost more than $13 (even made in China). Perhaps they mean the cost of the metal that goes into manufactoring coils is $13? 

I really wonder what they meant by this since they are not in the coil mattress business.  Iron itself is very cheap, so I could see the raw materials costs of really light weight spring systems being worth about the same.  Some high end spring systems are made by hand and can take many hours to construct, if you pay your workers a decent wage per hour you have a lot more expensive spring system.  When I research the current costs of steel, TDI (main chemical in polyfoam for north america), SBR or NR I realize that although some materials are more expensive than others, we are talking on a low end 50 cents a pound (bulk steel), to a high end of about $3 per pound (high quality natural rubber).  Even if you have a 100 pound queen mattress which is fairly heavy, the raw materials costs of the insides of a mattress would only vary up to $250.  The only things that could make a mattress truly expensive are high quality textiles and labour intensive builds.  Shipping/delivery costs are also an inherently expensive part of doing business these days,  marketing is also expensive.  

The only really expensive upholstery are things like cashmere, silk, horsehair, camel hair, anywhere between $10-$20 per pound.  Eiderdown is worth a staggering $70 per OUNCE....

Reply #16 Oct 4, 2011 12:28 PM
Tony,

Just want to give you a little heads up about Tempurpedic bed vs. my all latex bed.  It's been tough to discern this, but I've got the differences nailed down now.  The feel of each bed is totally different.  The all latex bed allows one to turn quite easily in it because it is so resilient and has an immediate springback nature.  But, that is also its disadavantage.  The center of the bed is a little more broken in than closer to the edge and that's normal because I think all mattresses break in more where you sleep the most.    The problem is when I roll more to the edge of the bed, the latex kinda sort of wants to push me back towards the center.   Yes, latex is very easy to turn on, but I don't get the feeling of being as securely in place as in the Tempurpedic.

The Tempurpedic also breaks in more in the center of the bed, but Tempur or memory foam just conforms from all directions wherever you're at.  So, I can roll right to the edge on the Tempurpedic and feel held in place and relaxed because of it.  I can move to any part of the bed and it will conform.  It's not as easy to move in the bed, but that's part of its strength - it holds a body in place so that one can relax.  Not that it is hard to turn in this Cloud.  So, the TP seems to have a lot going for it - good support, conformance, easy on joints, doesn't sleep hot, seems durable (my Symphony pillow was just like I bought it after 3 years), and for the slight odor, I'll hope it goes away and since it doesn't bother me now, I'll hope it's harmless as they say.

Recent Posts