Newbie Questions About Buying Natural Latex Mattress
Sep 30, 2011 10:05 AM
Hello gals and guys,

I'm shopping for a new mattress and even though I think I read a ton, I decided to consult with the community before making final decision. I always trust actual folks lot more than I trust companies pushing their product.

We currently have spring mattress that was pretty expensive at the time we bought it (it was about 12 years ago I believe and we paid around $800 for it). It was good I suppose and it could still go for a while but I think it's time to make a change. It's become very heavy from all the dust accumlated in it (and who knows what else). I also have an upper back problem and I don't feel it's helping. I don't sleep well at all. I'm not sure if I should ttribute this to the mattress or it's just me getting older or it's something else. 

After doing some research, I decided to go with memory foam mattress. I first looked at TempurPedic of course but then I read reviews about how many chemicals they use and how bad it smells and how it's not really all that comfortable and I sumbled upon latex mattresses, which I didn't know existed before (yeah, I kind of live in a cave I guess). First thing I came across was Essentia. The web site is awesome and they have tons of material to read. They even have a store in NYC where I can visit (I plan to in about a week). But what alarms me a bit is their lack of accreditation and recognition. I also read they make some false claims about quality of their latex. Not sure if it's true or false or can at all be proven, but some of the things I read about them (couldn't find too much info which is also a  bit alarming) has my red flags go up. But I will give them a fair shot nevertheless.

I'm now looking at Zleep-EZ, Flobeds, SavvyRest, Natura in addition to Essentia. I think these are the major manufacturors? I want to be an equal opportunity shopper, so I hope I'm not missing anyone else.

I like rather firmer mattress, but I don't want to sleep on a rock either. My wife prefers a softer one but she doesn't want to sleep in a puddle either. I'm looking at the budget of around $3,000 (give or take couple of hundreds). I think I'm looking for at least 10" thickness which would probably make for 4 layers of latex? I see that most of the companies have 90 days layer replacement policies, but I would like to avoid making a mistake and then having 1 shot to correct it. I sleep mostly on my stomach and my wife sleeps mostly on her side. I'm not sure what layers (as far as firmness is concerned) should be in what order though. I'm also not positive I understand if I need a pillow top. I understand it takes at least couple of weeks to get used to latex especially that we slept on spings all of our lives, but I would really hate to come away being dissapointed with the matterss after shelling out 3 grands. 

Any advice/help you guys can offer is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

-Tony.

Re: Newbie Questions About Buying Natural Latex Mattress
Reply #11 Sep 30, 2011 8:30 PM
If you can find a local 'natural mattress store' or place like that, it's one of the better ways to sample latex mattresses.  Serta Vera Wang's have some talalay latex over regular core foams, so can get an idea as well.

Latex is probably one of the springiest foams you will find.  Push on it and the response back is immediate.  It's a very lively type of foam. 

Reply #12 Sep 30, 2011 9:06 PM
slpngoc wrote:

If you can find a local 'natural mattress store' or place like that, it's one of the better ways to sample latex mattresses.  Serta Vera Wang's have some talalay latex over regular core foams, so can get an idea as well.

Latex is probably one of the springiest foams you will find.  Push on it and the response back is immediate.  It's a very lively type of foam. 

I will vist Essentia store here in the city and The Clean Bedroom that carries SavvyRest mattresses probably on Columbus day. 

So being the spingiest mattress out there is a good or a bad thing?

Reply #13 Oct 1, 2011 12:30 AM
Tony_ wrote:

I will vist Essentia store here in the city and The Clean Bedroom that carries SavvyRest mattresses probably on Columbus day. 

So being the spingiest mattress out there is a good or a bad thing?

Good things - supportive, comfortable, long lasting

not so much - heavy, kinda pricey, DIY work putting all latex mattress together.

This message was modified Oct 1, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #14 Oct 1, 2011 12:14 PM
Tony_ wrote:

..... You find TempurPedic to be more comfortable than your SleepEZ 10000?

Thanks,

-Tony.

Just wanted to respond to this question again.  Hard to say one is more comfortable than the other really.  They feel different, but both very good.  Tempurpedic is on an adjustable base which is nice.

- see below - 

This message was modified Oct 4, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #15 Oct 1, 2011 1:06 PM
Tony_ wrote:

Good questions. I have no idea how they can back up their claims. I will be sure to ask them these questions face to face in about 10 days. I know my innerspring mattress is darn heavy now though. I can barely lift it. It was never light but it wasn't this heavy when we got it. I'm not sure about 10 times heaver (that does sound like a completely off the wall statement) but I think it now weights twice as much as it was when we got it 12 years ago. I was also wondering about $13/coil system statetement myself. I'm sure there are mattresses that do have coil systems that cost $13 to manufacture (hell, there are still $300 innerspring queen mattresses being sold), there are also some pretty complex coil systems that should cost more than $13 (even made in China). Perhaps they mean the cost of the metal that goes into manufactoring coils is $13? 

I really wonder what they meant by this since they are not in the coil mattress business.  Iron itself is very cheap, so I could see the raw materials costs of really light weight spring systems being worth about the same.  Some high end spring systems are made by hand and can take many hours to construct, if you pay your workers a decent wage per hour you have a lot more expensive spring system.  When I research the current costs of steel, TDI (main chemical in polyfoam for north america), SBR or NR I realize that although some materials are more expensive than others, we are talking on a low end 50 cents a pound (bulk steel), to a high end of about $3 per pound (high quality natural rubber).  Even if you have a 100 pound queen mattress which is fairly heavy, the raw materials costs of the insides of a mattress would only vary up to $250.  The only things that could make a mattress truly expensive are high quality textiles and labour intensive builds.  Shipping/delivery costs are also an inherently expensive part of doing business these days,  marketing is also expensive.  

The only really expensive upholstery are things like cashmere, silk, horsehair, camel hair, anywhere between $10-$20 per pound.  Eiderdown is worth a staggering $70 per OUNCE....

Reply #16 Oct 4, 2011 12:28 PM
Tony,

Just want to give you a little heads up about Tempurpedic bed vs. my all latex bed.  It's been tough to discern this, but I've got the differences nailed down now.  The feel of each bed is totally different.  The all latex bed allows one to turn quite easily in it because it is so resilient and has an immediate springback nature.  But, that is also its disadavantage.  The center of the bed is a little more broken in than closer to the edge and that's normal because I think all mattresses break in more where you sleep the most.    The problem is when I roll more to the edge of the bed, the latex kinda sort of wants to push me back towards the center.   Yes, latex is very easy to turn on, but I don't get the feeling of being as securely in place as in the Tempurpedic.

The Tempurpedic also breaks in more in the center of the bed, but Tempur or memory foam just conforms from all directions wherever you're at.  So, I can roll right to the edge on the Tempurpedic and feel held in place and relaxed because of it.  I can move to any part of the bed and it will conform.  It's not as easy to move in the bed, but that's part of its strength - it holds a body in place so that one can relax.  Not that it is hard to turn in this Cloud.  So, the TP seems to have a lot going for it - good support, conformance, easy on joints, doesn't sleep hot, seems durable (my Symphony pillow was just like I bought it after 3 years), and for the slight odor, I'll hope it goes away and since it doesn't bother me now, I'll hope it's harmless as they say.

Reply #17 Oct 4, 2011 11:39 PM
slpngoc wrote:

Tony,

Just want to give you a little heads up about Tempurpedic bed vs. my all latex bed.  It's been tough to discern this, but I've got the differences nailed down now.  The feel of each bed is totally different.  The all latex bed allows one to turn quite easily in it because it is so resilient and has an immediate springback nature.  But, that is also its disadavantage.  The center of the bed is a little more broken in than closer to the edge and that's normal because I think all mattresses break in more where you sleep the most.    The problem is when I roll more to the edge of the bed, the latex kinda sort of wants to push me back towards the center.   Yes, latex is very easy to turn on, but I don't get the feeling of being as securely in place as in the Tempurpedic.

The Tempurpedic also breaks in more in the center of the bed, but Tempur or memory foam just conforms from all directions wherever you're at.  So, I can roll right to the edge on the Tempurpedic and feel held in place and relaxed because of it.  I can move to any part of the bed and it will conform.  It's not as easy to move in the bed, but that's part of its strength - it holds a body in place so that one can relax.  Not that it is hard to turn in this Cloud.  So, the TP seems to have a lot going for it - good support, conformance, easy on joints, doesn't sleep hot, seems durable (my Symphony pillow was just like I bought it after 3 years), and for the slight odor, I'll hope it goes away and since it doesn't bother me now, I'll hope it's harmless as they say.

Good look. I don't want my mattress to move me. I wonder how long it takes for a latex bed to develop this. We sleep on innerspring now and had it for 12 years. It has a pillow top (I'm not sure why so many people have problem with pillowtops) but the mattress is still flat as a pancake. I'm not sure if it was just a quality mattress, our luck or combination of the 2, but I would not anticipate this kind of a problem with a latex bed. 

I still cannot bring myself to seriously consider TP after everything I've read about what they're made out of. Besides, from what I understand they're not really any cheaper than latex. I will try them out in a store though. I want to feel how they really wrap around you. I'm not a crazy eco guy, but from what I understand buying mattress made out of natutal latex (even if it's not 100% natural) helps the wild forrest and I'd like to help out whenever I can.

Regards,

-Tony.

P.S. I thought memory foam slept hot? Not so according to your testimony. Which ones sleep hot? I think I'm confused now. Hell, it seems like it's easier to buy a house than a mattress.

Reply #18 Oct 5, 2011 12:09 AM
Tony_ wrote:

Good look. I don't want my mattress to move me. I wonder how long it takes for a latex bed to develop this. We sleep on innerspring now and had it for 12 years. It has a pillow top (I'm not sure why so many people have problem with pillowtops) but the mattress is still flat as a pancake. I'm not sure if it was just a quality mattress, our luck or combination of the 2, but I would not anticipate this kind of a problem with a latex bed. 

I still cannot bring myself to seriously consider TP after everything I've read about what they're made out of. Besides, from what I understand they're not really any cheaper than latex. I will try them out in a store though. I want to feel how they really wrap around you. I'm not a crazy eco guy, but from what I understand buying mattress made out of natutal latex (even if it's not 100% natural) helps the wild forrest and I'd like to help out whenever I can.

Regards,

-Tony.

P.S. I thought memory foam slept hot? Not so according to your testimony. Which ones sleep hot? I think I'm confused now. Hell, it seems like it's easier to buy a house than a mattress.

I think memory foam generally sleeps warmer than the typical innerspring mattress.  I was using the same 'ol comforter on a new innerspring in June.  Switched to an iComfort memory foam in July.  Like 2 nights into it, woke up at 4 am, got up,  tooo warm!  Ditched the comforter for a blanket as top layer.  Couple days later bought a nice quilt instead.  Quilts are maybe 1/4" thick.  I like it. 

Was still bit warm on icomfort, but that's because I was sinking in too much.  Got too greedy for an ultra plush mattress.  But the Cloud, not too warm.  Top sheet, quilt, 65 to 75 F room, no problems.  Tempurpedics have the convoluted foam single or dual channels which seem to work.

Caution with the really plush, sink down models of Tempurpedics.  Cloud Luxe is awfully soft.  Really don't know Cloud Supreme would have been too soft and cause neck probs for me.  Won't know.  Regular Cloud - fine.

The TP Contour Select and Signature have the slow reacting, original type Tempurpedic foam.  Had to pass on that.  Rhapsody is pricey, but has the Tempur HD foam.  Have to tune in to feel it, but that stuff conforms great. 

About the all latex.  Too bad what happened on the matching wood slatted foundation.  After first night, was quickly shopping for a thick mattress pad, next day shopping for memory foam topper .... not right.  New latex mattress, then shopping for memory foam topper? which didn't work out.  Mattress felt terrible to me on that slatted wood foundation. 

I didn't like the idea of squishy latex on a box spring, but it was the best thing going.   I tried latex couple nights, then Tempur couple nights. Latex felt off.

Maybe the setup on latex was just wrong.  I tried some Natural Mattress Store all latex mattresses and they felt awfully good in the store. I would have liked to get one, but they were really pricey, $2000 and up, and no return policy, only comfort exchanges.

This message was modified Oct 5, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #19 Oct 5, 2011 9:51 AM
slpngoc wrote:

I think memory foam generally sleeps warmer than the typical innerspring mattress.  I was using the same 'ol comforter on a new innerspring in June.  Switched to an iComfort memory foam in July.  Like 2 nights into it, woke up at 4 am, got up,  tooo warm!  Ditched the comforter for a blanket as top layer.  Couple days later bought a nice quilt instead.  Quilts are maybe 1/4" thick.  I like it. 

Was still bit warm on icomfort, but that's because I was sinking in too much.  Got too greedy for an ultra plush mattress.  But the Cloud, not too warm.  Top sheet, quilt, 65 to 75 F room, no problems.  Tempurpedics have the convoluted foam single or dual channels which seem to work.

Caution with the really plush, sink down models of Tempurpedics.  Cloud Luxe is awfully soft.  Really don't know Cloud Supreme would have been too soft and cause neck probs for me.  Won't know.  Regular Cloud - fine.

The TP Contour Select and Signature have the slow reacting, original type Tempurpedic foam.  Had to pass on that.  Rhapsody is pricey, but has the Tempur HD foam.  Have to tune in to feel it, but that stuff conforms great. 

About the all latex.  Too bad what happened on the matching wood slatted foundation.  After first night, was quickly shopping for a thick mattress pad, next day shopping for memory foam topper .... not right.  New latex mattress, then shopping for memory foam topper? which didn't work out.  Mattress felt terrible to me on that slatted wood foundation. 

I didn't like the idea of squishy latex on a box spring, but it was the best thing going.   I tried latex couple nights, then Tempur couple nights. Latex felt off.

Maybe the setup on latex was just wrong.  I tried some Natural Mattress Store all latex mattresses and they felt awfully good in the store. I would have liked to get one, but they were really pricey, $2000 and up, and no return policy, only comfort exchanges.

How much is the TP Cloud Queen?

I'm planning to use my existing box spring as a foundadtion, so it sounds like you found this to be the best choice?

I agree, buying so much extra stuff just to make you feel comfortable after shelling out 2+ grands doesn't seem right to me. Which latex mattress did you go with, so you had to return it?

I'm afraid that when I go to a store, the mattresses will feel good but when I start sleeping on them they won't feel as good. Sort of like when you buy a TV set in a store and they all look vivid and awesome and you set it up at home and start wondering what the hell they did to the store TV to make it look so great. Besides, laying on a mattress for few minutes will never feel the same as spending the entire night on it. I think one of the major requirements for me would be ability to return it back (even if I lose some money on shipping or re-stoking or whatever fees they come up with).

Reply #20 Oct 5, 2011 2:27 PM
Tony_ wrote:

How much is the TP Cloud Queen?

I'm planning to use my existing box spring as a foundadtion, so it sounds like you found this to be the best choice?

I agree, buying so much extra stuff just to make you feel comfortable after shelling out 2+ grands doesn't seem right to me. Which latex mattress did you go with, so you had to return it?

I'm afraid that when I go to a store, the mattresses will feel good but when I start sleeping on them they won't feel as good. Sort of like when you buy a TV set in a store and they all look vivid and awesome and you set it up at home and start wondering what the hell they did to the store TV to make it look so great. Besides, laying on a mattress for few minutes will never feel the same as spending the entire night on it. I think one of the major requirements for me would be ability to return it back (even if I lose some money on shipping or re-stoking or whatever fees they come up with).

Cloud Queen is $1599 and that price is same nationwide.  Retailers cannot discount TP prices (altough a few claim they got some money off their TP's)

You would not be able to use an existing or any boxspring with Tempurpedic mattress.  Their fixed foundations have a solid wood top, and using a box spring would void the warranty.  Queen foundation is $400.

My all latex mattress was from SleepEZ out of AZ.  I give them an A+ for customer service because they are the nicest people and they take care of business immeidately.  Unfortunately, the 10000 blended talalaly mattress just didn't pan out for me, even tried few different foundations.  Too bad.

Around SF Bay Area, Sleep Train and Mancini's are our biggest major retailers.  One has 100 day refund policy, the other 110 days.  Sleep Train is no restocking fee on refund.

Don't know if I mentioned this before, but be aware, that if you buy a mattress at a place that has a refund / or exchange policy, most likely if you do an exchange to another mattress, that will be a final sale, yours for good, no returns.  Did that once on the iComfort, not again.  Return only if I don't like a mattress.

Recent Posts