Need a topper for new Serta Innerspring
Aug 21, 2012 7:45 PM
My new Serta isn't anything like the old one that lasted 8 years.  I can squish this one together with my hands and thought, at first, I had received a foam mattress by mistake.  It's hard to believe it has the advertised 700 plus coils.  It was one of the mid-range models, (Vanessa II cushion firm at Sears) with a 10 yr warranty so I thought I was getting something substantial.  I can't use the warranty since it's not defective.  I got it 60% off with free shipping and couldn't do better with an exchange.

After a week, buyer's remorse is hitting me hard.  I was expecting the support and refreshing coolness and springiness of the previous serta but this is like crawling onto a board with padding.  Have all the mattress companies gone foam crazy?  I think this model has pocket coils but they must be buried in foam. If it doesn't offer much in the way of comfort or support, can I at least count on it lasting several years? - I want to get my misery's worth.

Perhaps a higher-end topper will make this bed comfortable.  I already have a 2" topper with fitted cover I can use but don't like the heat issues.  Does a high density latex or cool gel topper sound like a good idea?  I used to buy high-density foam, throw a sheet over it and call it my bed when I was younger.  Now I'm starting to think I just need to get the raw materials and make a simple bed of my own.

Any ideas about toppers would be welcome.  Geez, I didn't even know what a topper was until I started shopping for a mattress this year.  It sounds to me like mattresses have gone downhill in quality and they dreamed up pillowtops and toppers to cover a multitude of sins. 

Recent Posts