Need pointed in the right direction
Oct 12, 2010 9:27 PM
My current mattress is about 10 years old and is probably due for repalcedment.  I have a hard time sleeping sometimes, and don't always wake up refreshed.

So I visited a mattress store yesterday and spent about an hour trying just about every bed in the joint.  The one I liked the best was the low end Stearns & Foster in a plush.  Unfortunately, it was out of my price range.  The salesman brought down the price about 25% by using a "clearance" box spring, but I didn't give in.  I probably would have had he thrown in free delivery.  Decided to "sleep on it."

I had read a little bit before going to the store, and was trying to look for stuff like the number of coils and gauge of steel.  They didn't have much of that info.  I tried the Tempurpedic bed and thought it was nice, but out of my price range.  They had a few latex floor models for 50% off.  There was one that I liked that seemed a little firmer than the rest, and I think I could have been happy with it.  I liked the individual coils the best, but maybe I'm not used to latex or foam?

Anyways, I got home and started researching and found that the three-S's are frowned upon and basically scratched them off!  I've read through here and found recommendations to search for local mattress companies.  I found a few:

http://www.bowlesmattress.com/html/crown.htm http://indianamattresscompany.com/default.aspx http://www.holdermattress.com/ http://www.holderbedding.net/index.html

I can get to the places that carry those beds.. Should I try to find the firmest matress I can and buy toppers?  My initial thinking is a firm mattress from a local shop and getting the 2.5" memory foam topper from Sam's club - staying local in case I'm unhappy.  Find the lowest gauge steel?  Bonnell springs, or open?

I've read about the DIY mattress.. like FBM stuff.  That's not entirely unappealing.  Doing surgery is unappealing though, because I'm a litle clumsy ;) I'd run in to the problem of a foundation (I have a headboard, footboard, and side rails I'd like to keep) with the DIY stuff.  It's kinda scary for me to go this route since I can't try the foam or latex before I buy. I don't want to be completely stuck.

I'm 6'4" and about 240.. so a big guy. I sleep on my back and side.  Anyone care to poke me in a certain direction for further researching?  I'm (more than) a little confused right now.

Re: Need pointed in the right direction
Reply #23 Oct 15, 2010 12:25 PM
That guy is classic!  He made so many errors, that it was hard to keep track off.   My favorite is when he says that latex is made by a company called Talalay.  

If he is going to show the mattress, why doesn't he at least take the plastic off!

This message was modified Oct 15, 2010 by sandman
Reply #24 Oct 15, 2010 4:35 PM
I actually had a good laugh watching all his videos...so did my co-workers :)
Reply #25 Oct 15, 2010 5:01 PM
This guy must of been a used car salesman before he got into the mattress business.  I had a good laugh watching him also.  I'd NEVER buy anything from a guy like that.
Reply #26 Oct 15, 2010 6:03 PM
Who needs the Comedy Network when you have guys like this?!
Reply #27 Oct 15, 2010 8:34 PM
I stopped by Holder tonight and was pretty impressed.  The guy there said he had been in the bedding business for 20 years.

They had a mattress with a latex pillow top that was out of my price.  And a pure latex mattress that was also spendy, but felt too soft anyways.  The guy said he doesn't really sell too many of them.  The ones he does are to people that have bought them in the past (that confused me too) and to people w/ specific health problems. 

The mattress I liked the best was a soft top firm. He said it has a "posture section" or something like that.  The center section of springs are a little thicker (12.75ga) than the head and foot (13ga).  Continuous spring he said.  And a real box spring (6ga), not a foundation (he seemed surprised that I asked about that; said I had been doing my homework ;) ).  Priced about $900 for the set, plus tax with delivery and haul away included.

The same bed with a pillow top was about $120 more.  I figure that I could get a latex topper from Sam's for not too much more than that and end up with a better overall product.  He mentioned that in his experience people will err on the side of too firm.. I wasn't sure if he thought that was bad or good, but it's good, right?  Pretty much everything they sold was double sided. 

I'll go check the Bowles stuff, but I think this one is winning out.  Glad you all told me to look for small shops!

Reply #28 Oct 15, 2010 9:01 PM
:)

It's always a good feeling when you have found something you would be happy with and any other looking is "bonus" ... not necessity.

I'm assuming that the top was latex over springs?

I had a feeling they would have good value. Did you happen to ask the guy if he had mailed me my information?

I would also err on the side of firm for the very reasons you gave.

Phoenix

Reply #29 Oct 15, 2010 9:47 PM
No, it's foam over the springs.  I didn't get the exact specs though.  There was one with a few inches of latex over the springs, and aside from the cost, I thought it was too soft for me.

Did you call the Anderson store?  He gave me a small brochure that he said is several years old.  It's more of a "how to pick a good mattress" type thing than a "this is our product" thing.  He didn't really have anything that described their product line.  He did said that he wants to update the brochure, so maybe you'll get it whenever he gets around to it ;)

Reply #30 Oct 15, 2010 10:12 PM
Oops ... if it's foam over the springs then the value I thought was there isn't ..... although this would depend to some degree on what the foam was. There are better and worse polyfoams with High Resiliency foams being the best. Some of the HR foams are designed to mimic the feel and durability of latex but the jury is still out how close they come on either count. While their latex may have been too soft, there are many different firmnesses of latex which would be similar to whatever was on this mattress. The springs sound very strong though.

You could get a Talalay latex over spring mattress or a Talalay latex over HR foam mattress or even a Dunlop all latex mattress or maybe even a Talalay over Dunlop latex mattress for about the same price or at least not much more.

That doesn't mean that all latex is the way to go for you ... just that I would tend to avoid polyfoam in the top of a mattress. It would be worth taking a little longer in the search (IMO) than getting something that may not last as long or keep its qualities for as long as you may like. I would at least ask them specifically what the foam was in the top. The other good part of course is that it included a boxspring which an all latex or all foam mattress wouldn't need but an innerspring mattress does (at least to make it perform at optimal levels).

The number I phoned was the Anderson store 765-642-1256 and he was sending me specific information on a 2 sided all latex mattress with a 6" core and 1.5" - 2" latex quilting on both sides. I have no idea of the price as he said he would include all that in the mail. Typically a mattress like this could be either firm or soft or anything in between depending on the customer's choice.

Phoenix

This message was modified Oct 15, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #31 Oct 16, 2010 1:42 AM
More about Indiana Mattress ... I looked on their website and none of American Pedic models have any latex (according to the descriptions there anyway).

The general information about the Classic collection says it uses latex but none of the individual desctiptions mentions any.

The Europa collection has models with differing degrees of latex

The Miralux collection says it has latex but there are no individual models listed

The Origins collection has Latex cores and at least some latex above that.

The Charleston in their Hospitality collection had of all things 2 layers of QUILTING FOAM close to the springs. I have no idea why they did this. Other layers of Poly as well.

I looked through my database and found the specs for all of them and discovered that every one of them that has Latex also has at least 2" and usually 3" or more of Polyfoam in them in either the comfort layers or in the quilting. Enough Polyfoam that I would rule all of them out ... the entire IBC line except for the Venus.

Interestingly enough, The Venus model has an inch of 8 lb Venus memory foam in it above 3" of 5 lb (probably Sensus) memory foam and the smooth top is the only one in the line that doesn't have any poly above it. I'm mentioning this not because you would be interested but for reference sake because there might be some curiousity about beds with a higher density of memory foam in them. It's also interesting that their Talalay latex uses "telescoping" pins which alters the way that latex compresses and makes the Talalay layer firmer on one side than the other. Too bad that such interesting materials are "spoiled" (again IMO) with such liberal use of Polyfoam.

If IBC is the only line they carry, I would rule them out unless you are ok with a lot of polyfoam in a mattress.

Phoenix

This message was modified Oct 16, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #32 Oct 16, 2010 2:26 AM
BTW ... Beloit mattress company http://www.beloitmattress.com/location.html is in Beloit WI which is close to Rockford WI near the Illinois border. If you work near Fisher, then it is a little more than 5 hours away. That's not much further than the 3.5 hours I drove to lay on the sawgrass mattress at Parklane mattress. It was well worth it for me to see what they had there (latex and otherwise) and I suspect that if you feel like driving that far, that they have quite a selection of different mattresses at Beloit as well. It may be worth calling them and talking to them about what they have and what you are looking for and then deciding if it is worth the drive.

Phoenix

Recent Posts