Need help on figuring out if this latex bed is a good deal or not
Dec 15, 2007 2:28 PM
 I need a twin bed for my 7 yr old. Dad and I sleep on all latex and love it. Older brothers(20 and 18) are on all latex too so I want to stay with latex for the youngest as well. He's only going to need this bed for approximately 5 yrs at which time I'll need to get him a queen  or full. His room is too small for a full size now but the older two will be out of the house by then(God willing!) and he'll have a bigger room. My husband is balking at spending over a $1000 for an all latex twin when we will need to replace it in 5 yrs. He found this kidsclub mattress online for $500 a set and think this is the way we should go. If you click this link and look at the latex Dream Dream Dream mattress and then "mattress interior" it shows the mattress build for that model. Sure it has a latex level but am I wrong in thinking this just looks like alot of crap foam with a little latex? We looked at Sleepez and Flobeds(I like the convoluted top layer) but we want a fairly thick mattress so would need the 1300 which is putting me over the $1000 mark by a few hundred. I figured I'd ask some opinions here since you guys seem to know your foams pretty well.

http://www.kidsclubhousemattresses.com/mattstyle.swf

Re: Need help on figuring out if this latex bed is a good deal or not
Reply #1 Dec 15, 2007 7:58 PM
Foam Nerd
Why a 13000? I weigh 240 lbs and I don't need that thick of a mattress.

If your older boys are tall, consider buying an XL twin.

Putting a 1" layer of latex in a mattress and crowing about "luxury latex" is silly. It might very well be a good mattress, but not because it has 1" of latex in it.
Reply #2 Dec 16, 2007 5:36 PM
Wanting a thick mattress  was just to offset the bed style which has a very tall headboard and low footboard. My husband's just going to have to deal with the looks of a lower profile though unless he is willing to spend more or he can build a box under it to raise it up.I think I figured out a way to do this fairly inexpensively . If I get a 5 1/2 inch mattress (medium ild) core from  Central Plastic and Rubber it will cost me $435 including shipping. If I add a 3 inch soft pinholed latex topper off ebay for $220 including shipping and a velour 10 inch zippered cover, also off ebay, for $34 including shipping, I'm looking at a total cost of $689. If it ends up either too soft or not soft enough , I still have 1 1/2 inches of play to add another topper of what ever ild I need.  Buying the 8500 from Sleepez runs me $850 including shipping (though it has a nicer cover than just the zip velour one) so I can come out ahead building it myself by $161. I guess it's a bit of a gamble since I can't exchange pieces if they don't work but I think this is the way I'm going to go. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Reply #3 Dec 16, 2007 6:01 PM
 If one of the latex cores is uncomfortable, it could end up causing you back pain, doctor bills and a new purchase of another latex core. I think it is good to go with a company that you can exchange a latex layer and budget it in by doing without a few other things the next few months. Just my opinion from knowing how important a good bed is for a good night's sleep and for the health of your back.

Recent Posts