Natalie's New Flobed (updated with vZone pics) - New Final Review
Feb 19, 2010 6:29 PM
On suggestions of eagle2 and KimberlyH, I'm starting my own thread. I hope my experience may possibly help someone else as I continue to receive help from all the wonderful posters on this forum.

Summary from two previous posts (edited):

1)  Background (sorry, if you've already read it skip it):

60 yr old F,  5' 7", 128 lbs, side sleeper -- Fibromyalgia. Extreme pressure points in hips, (tingling, burning, numbness, pain). Currently sleeping on aTP Cloud Supreme... not really sure it's right for me (How can something feel so soft when you first lie down, and be so hard a few hours later?). Still have 6 weeks before deciding to either  exchange it for TP Rhapsody (a special "thank you" here to budgy for all his TP information) or get refund and start over. OR new option - try FloBeds and compare!

I had tried an Englander Natures Finest Latex and was in so much pain on it, I had quit the idea of latex altogether because of it (I never was able to find the exact content of that particular bed). I admit, at the time I made that decision, I was totally ignorant about different ILD's, thicknesses, customizing layers, coverings, latex actually helping with pressure points, etc.

2) Well, I did it! My new bed should be here no later than Monday. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. Dewey was very nice and helpful and thanks to you all I had a list of questions, but he really answered most of them before I could ask. Which was great because I don't do phone very well, and I did do the "ah... ah... ah.." .  I went with all his recommendations except for the vZone, which we decided I could upgrade to later if needed. So my new bed is:

Natural Deluxe - Natural Talalay Latex Green Mattress

Organic Cotton & Wool Cover

Natural Talalay Latex Convolute Comfort Pad

Both sides:
Natural Talalay Latex Core-Soft

Natural Talalay Latex Core-Medium

Natural Talalay Latex Core-Firm

I told him about how informed and extremely helpful you've all been, (though I think most of you spoke with Dave who was unavailable) Dewey was glad to hear about how impressed I was about this great forum.

These large purchases always scare me, but he assured me if for any reason I didn't love the bed, I would only be out the shipping cost of sending it back, which is very reasonable. Eagle, you are so right about how reassuring it is to deal with the owners!

I do realize no bed is going to cure my fibromyalgia and all the issues it creates, but I am hoping this bed will provide some relief and comfort... without all the rules the TP demands you follow.

--------------------

Great posts to read for anyone interested in FloBeds:
  <a href="http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/just-bought-new-flobeds/6556-A-1.html">Just bought a new Flobeds</a>   
  <a href="http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/please-help-me-figure-which-flobed-buy/9416-0-1.html">Please help me figure out which FloBed to buy</a>

Just received an email from Dewey - my new FloBed is on it's way so I will update when it arrives Monday. I'm just so excited, I couldn't wait to share!.
Natalie

This message was modified Jul 15, 2010 by Natalia
Re: Natalie's New Flobed (updated with vZone pics)
Reply #26 Mar 19, 2010 11:20 AM
Thanks for your detailed and informative review, Natalie. I have a question about the convoluted topper. Have you (or anyone else) tried flipping it over or not using it at all? I have a sample that Flobeds sent me - I'm really not all that sensitive, but I don't like it much either. 

I'm also curious about the cover, do you find it soft enough? Does it get overly warm? Is it necessary to have all that wool between you and the latex?

Re: Natalie's New Flobed (updated with vZone pics)
Reply #27 Mar 19, 2010 12:14 PM
cynicaljones wrote:

Thanks for your detailed and informative review, Natalie. I have a question about the convoluted topper. Have you (or anyone else) tried flipping it over or not using it at all? I have a sample that Flobeds sent me - I'm really not all that sensitive, but I don't like it much either. 

I'm also curious about the cover, do you find it soft enough? Does it get overly warm? Is it necessary to have all that wool between you and the latex?

Hi cynical,

I've never tried flipping the topper. I like the cushioning of it and I don't notice any bumps or uneven feel.

I think the cover is very nice (minus my stitching issue). It's not overly stuffed as store mattress covers seem to be these days and I don't notice any heat retention at all. I also don't notice it feeling cold when I first get in bed as my Temper-pedic cover felt.

I wouldn't characterize it as "all that wool". It's not really that thick, and I don't feel it detracts from the feel of the bed in any way. After a month, it looks like new. I sleep alone always on the same side and you can't tell which side. I don't see or feel any compression or stretching of the cover at all.

Like everything else I post, it's just my humble opinion, YMMV. smiley

Best to you,

Natalie

This message was modified Mar 19, 2010 by Natalia
Re: Natalie's New Flobed (updated with vZone pics) Final Review
Reply #28 Jul 15, 2010 4:30 PM
Final review.

Hi Everyone,

I've had my FloBed for close to 5 months now, and I LOVE it!heart

It took a few months to get the proper configuration. For someone with no physical limitations, it would have gone much faster.

With severe fibromyalgia and nerve damage in hips I need a very soft bed, yet with enough support to avoid lower back pain. This makes for a very fine line, and "Team Flobeds" (Dewey and Dave), were able to fine tune my mattress to my special needs.

My final configuration from FloBeds:

Inside FloBeds cotton/wool cover:

• 2 1/2" 5lb Sensus Foam - this is beautiful foam and added great yielding support!
  • 3" Custom vZone Layer (all Soft with Medium for lumbar area plus an extra piece of Medium if I need it)
  • 3" Medium Layer
  • 3" Firm Layer

The FloBeds 2" Convoluted Topper is the icing on top of my mattress cake! It provides me with wonderful cushioning. It's covered with a plush 100% cotton blanket for now, under a fitted stretchy jersey cotton sheet. (Special shout out to Leo for the solution to mattress pad stitching!)

Unlike pre-manufactured beds, FloBed layers can be switched as needed. Strain your back and require a firmer mattress? Switch layers. Also, if you get the FloBeds vZone, you have so many additional options to truly customize the bed to your individual needs.

I did return two pre-made vZones which didn't work for me. Hubby and I had no trouble with vacuum packaging them for return. FloBeds sent a return label and the cost was 25.00 to ship them back.

It took a while, but with Dewey's help and knowledge, I'm sleeping better than I have in years with no pressure points. YAY!!! I also feel very secure that if I ever have a problem, FloBeds is there to help. I really put them through a lot and was always reassured that if they couldn't find what worked for me, I would get a 100% refund!

I would not hesitate to recommend FloBeds to anyone looking for a latex bed! Great product, fantastic customer service!yes

Oh, one tip. Save all the boxes and bags until you're sure you have what works for you. This makes exchanges and returns simple.

Note on mattress pads:
I tried every mattress pad I could find, and they all either changed the feel of the bed, were too hot, or had too much stitching. I even bought and returned two different wool pads from SnugFleece. The hard backing hurt my pressure points.

The Dormeir Wool Pad is on order but won't ship until next week. I had to order the 24" drop as my mattress is a tad over 13". (Special shout out to Diane for sharing her Dormeir experience. Fingers crossed that I don't feel the stitching, and it doesn't wrinkle. If it does, it'll be for sale. wink

Thanks again to all who helped me through the confusing maze of bed buying, Eagle, Budgy, Kimberly, Lynn, Leo, TJ and EVERYONE else! Hope you know how very, very, appreciated you all are.smiley

Natalie

This message was modified Jul 15, 2010 by Natalia
Re: Natalie's New Flobed (updated with vZone pics) & Final Review
Reply #29 Jul 15, 2010 4:40 PM
So good to hear a success story.  I am truly envious also.

Just a note:  I have a 16" drop Dormeir on a 13" mattress with no problem at all (even after washing and drying it on hot -- oh,oh, is budgy listening?).  Oh well, you can just tuck the extra material under the mattress.  My 24" drop on my 17" mattress has loads of skirt material left over that I have to tuck under.  I just hope the generous 24" skirt doesn't cause too much shifting of the surface for you...

Reply #30 Jul 15, 2010 5:18 PM
Natalia wrote:

Final review.

Hi Everyone,

It took a few months to get the proper configuration. For someone with no physical limitations, it would have gone much faster.

With severe fibromyalgia and nerve damage in hips I need a very soft bed, yet with enough support to avoid lower back pain. This makes for a very fine line, and "Team Flobeds" (Dewey and Dave), were able to fine tune my mattress to my special needs.

• 2 1/2" 5lb Sensus Foam - this is beautiful foam and added great yielding support!
  • 3" Custom vZone Layer (all Soft with Medium for lumbar area plus an extra piece of Medium if I need it)
  • 3" Medium Layer
  • 3" Firm Layer

The FloBeds 2" Convoluted Topper is the icing on top of my mattress cake! It provides me with wonderful cushioning. It's covered with a plush 100% cotton blanket for now, under a fitted stretchy jersey cotton sheet. (Special shout out to Leo for the solution to mattress pad stitching!)

Unlike pre-manufactured beds, FloBed layers can be switched as needed. Strain your back and require a firmer mattress? Switch layers. Also, if you get the FloBeds vZone, you have so many additional options to truly customize the bed to your individual needs.

I did return two pre-made vZones which didn't work for me. Hubby and I had no trouble with vacuum packaging them for return. FloBeds sent a return label and the cost was 25.00 to ship them back.

It took a while, but with Dewey's help and knowledge, I'm sleeping better than I have in years with no pressure points. YAY!!! I also feel very secure that if I ever have a problem, FloBeds is there to help. I really put them through a lot and was always reassured that if they couldn't find what worked for me, I would get a 100% refund!

I would not hesitate to recommend FloBeds to anyone looking for a latex bed! Great product, fantastic customer service!yes

Oh, one tip. Save all the boxes and bags until you're sure you have what works for you. This makes exchanges and returns simple.

Note on mattress pads:
I tried every mattress pad I could find, and they all either changed the feel of the bed, were too hot, or had too much stitching. I even bought and returned two different wool pads from SnuggleFeece. The hard backing hurt my pressure points.

The Dormeir Wool Pad is on order but won't ship until next week. I had to order the 24" drop as my mattress is a tad over 13". (Special shout out to Diane for sharing her Dormeir experience. Fingers crossed that I don't feel the stitching, and it doesn't wrinkle. If it does, it'll be for sale. wink

Thanks again to all who helped me through the confusing maze of bed buying, Eagle, Budgy, Kimberly, Lynn, Leo, TJ and EVERYONE else! Hope you know how very, very, appreciated you all are.smiley

Natalie

Hi Natatlie- great to hear this is working for you. But I don't see any soft V zone only medium/firm /xfirm v zones. Did you get a special one made for you?

From where did you get this:
"2 1/2" 5lb Sensus Foam" - this is beautiful foam and added great yielding support!"

Thanks Natalie.

This message was modified Jul 15, 2010 by roy1
Reply #31 Jul 15, 2010 5:29 PM
roy1 wrote:

Hi Natatlie- great to hear this is working for you. But I don't see any soft V zone only medium/firm /xfirm v zones. Did you get a special one made for you?

From where did you get this:
"2 1/2" 5lb Sensus Foam" - this is beautiful foam and added great yielding support!"

Thanks Natalie.

Hi Roy,

Yes, FloBeds custom made my vZone. They can make them in any configuration you need. The Sensus foam is also from FloBeds, though I can't say if either the vZone or Sensus are available without purchasing a FloBed.

Give them a call, or if you're phone phobic like me blush, send them an email.

Best to you,

Natalie

Re: Natalie's New Flobed (updated with vZone pics) - New Final Review
Reply #32 Jul 15, 2010 11:11 PM
Natalie, I am so happy for you in finally getting the right combination that is just right for your back and body.  I was glad I had all that time also to find what worked for me since I ended up having a car accident and needed more time to make my bed firmer. I really love the set up I have now and I love my latex pillows also.  My FloBed is my most comfortable bed that I ever owned due to the fact that I built it to suit me. 

Dave and Dewey really work hard at making sure you are happy and comfortable.  They were there for me and even extended my time to exchange two more layers for two super firm latex layers for the bottom of my bed.   I have the opposite since I needed my best more firm than most people like a bed.  However I still needed a little bit of cushion on top for my pressure points. 

I tried various mattress pads but they were not comfortable and the polyester ones were hot.  I also hate feeling any stiching and the way I have my bed now with the fitted sheet over the FloBed zippered up cover, I am sleeping comfortably.  I now just sleep on a fitted 300 to 600 count sheet (I have several ivory sheet sets so I can mix them up and they all kind of match.) and change the sheet on top of me and my fitted sheet under me every week but sometimes I change the sheet on top of me more frequently.  I like to be as close to the latex as possible but that is my needs.

Thanks for appreciating my help and everyone else on this forum that helped you since we all truly care and wanted to be there for you since in the past others on this list have been there for each one of us.

Reply #33 Jul 18, 2010 1:33 PM
Lynn2006 wrote:

Natalie, I am so happy for you in finally getting the right combination that is just right for your back and body.  I was glad I had all that time also to find what worked for me since I ended up having a car accident and needed more time to make my bed firmer. I really love the set up I have now and I love my latex pillows also.  My FloBed is my most comfortable bed that I ever owned due to the fact that I built it to suit me. 

Dave and Dewey really work hard at making sure you are happy and comfortable.  They were there for me and even extended my time to exchange two more layers for two super firm latex layers for the bottom of my bed.   I have the opposite since I needed my best more firm than most people like a bed.  However I still needed a little bit of cushion on top for my pressure points. 

I tried various mattress pads but they were not comfortable and the polyester ones were hot.  I also hate feeling any stiching and the way I have my bed now with the fitted sheet over the FloBed zippered up cover, I am sleeping comfortably.  I now just sleep on a fitted 300 to 600 count sheet (I have several ivory sheet sets so I can mix them up and they all kind of match.) and change the sheet on top of me and my fitted sheet under me every week but sometimes I change the sheet on top of me more frequently.  I like to be as close to the latex as possible but that is my needs.

Thanks for appreciating my help and everyone else on this forum that helped you since we all truly care and wanted to be there for you since in the past others on this list have been there for each one of us.

Hi Lynn,

I agree, Dewey and Dave are the best! My only regret is not finding FloBeds sooner. I really didn't think I'd ever sleep comfortably again.  I'm so glad you posted your experience with them, and that you love your bed and are sleeping well too!smiley

Reply #34 Jul 20, 2010 2:33 AM
Lynn and Natalie:

Since it's been such a long time since I've posted here I thought I would throw in my two cents as well, for those people who are still hesitating about latex mattresses and who to purchase them from.

I am also sleeping well on my FloBeds. I was wondering how the mattress would perform in the summertime. And since the US Whether Service is reporting that we are having the hottest summer in our history, or at least for a very long time, the mattress is being put to the test in my part of the country, which can see 100+ degrees in the shade during the day, as normal. We keep the house at approximately 76 to 78°f and the humidity will usually run between 55 and 58%. I have had no trouble at all sleeping on my latex mattress. I did incorporate the following configuration however.

I put on the heavier 100% cotton mattress cover that I had acquired some months ago, and did not care for during cooler weather, but rather preferred my old used up thin mattress cover that I kept from my waterbed days. I put this cover on top of the 100% cotton cover and find that it is quite adequate for this temperature that we are experiencing now.

I would just end by reaffirming what you ladies have already said, that dealing with Dave and Dewey Turner at FloBeds is a very enjoyable and rewarding experience. As I have said several times before, they may charge somewhat more than the other leading latex mattress manufacturers but they make up for it in the way you are treated and their excellent exchange and return policy. I certainly used their exchange system.

I am a happy sleeper, and I would purchase from them again.

Don

This message was modified Jul 20, 2010 by eagle2
Reply #35 Jul 25, 2010 4:05 PM
Natalia wrote:

Final review.

Hi Everyone,

• 3" Medium Layer
  • 3" Firm Layer

Note on mattress pads:
I tried every mattress pad I could find, and they all either changed the feel of the bed, were too hot, or had too much stitching. I even bought and returned two different wool pads from SnugFleece. The hard backing hurt my pressure points.

Natalie

Hi Natalie,

I was looking for Flowbed reviews and I am so happy I found yours.

Like you, I also have Fibromyalgia.

I have a couple of questions for you -

1. I am very sensitive to smells. My husband has a natural latex pillow and I can't stand the smell. Do you think I would have a problem with the mattress?

2. Is the Sensus Foam a memory foam? If so, does it get warm? I take it it doesn't come with the Green V-Zone Mattress, right? How much is it?

3. I am confused about the The Dormeir Wool Pad. What do you need that for?

Thanks so much for your review and for all your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Claudia

Recent Posts