My new SleepEZ 13,000 mattress kit
Nov 27, 2007 7:57 PM
After much procrastination I made the call to Shawn and placed the order for a new 13,000.  I thought it would be better to go with a firmer mattress so I ordered, from top to bottom, x-firm- firm -medium -medium.

5 boxes were delivered to my house exactly 1 week later and everything arrived in great shape. Because I ordered an eastern king, the layers rather bulky and cumbersome to move and situate but eventually everything was zipped up nicely.

My wife complained after the very first night that the bed was too firm. I called Shawn and ordered a layer of soft and 1 week later it was delivered. Keep in mind that I ordered blended latex and chose not to get split sides.

I then configured the kit to x-firm- firm -soft- medium.  Once again it only took one night before she complained that it slept too firm. I then rearranged to x-firm- firm- medium- soft. We also put a Protect-A-Bed covering on over the mattress cover. I think that alone adds a degree of firmness to the bed.

While I was zipping up the cover, the zipper handle broke right off in my hand. The zipper itself still works but it is just tricky to zip it shut or open it up. I called Shawn about the broken zipper handle and he offered a warranty replacement with no hassle. I expect it to arrive at the end of the week.

My wife is now happy with the bed so no more adjustments will be needed until the new mattress cover comes and I have to take the entire bed apart anyway. I will post again on this thread and let you know the results of the warranty cover.

All things considered, we like the mattress and are glad we bought from SleepEZ. We were both skeptical and hesitant in a HUGE way about buying something this expensive sight unseen. Yes, we did order samples from Shawn beforehand but it still gives you no clue as to how well a latex kit mattress will sleep. We rolled the dice and it turned out well.  The best part is this mattress contains no polyurethane foam whatsoever!  I feel like I have successfully avoided all of the S brands!!!!!!!

One thing I would like to say is that if it weren't for this mattress forum and the internet in general I never, ever would have heard about SleepEZ or mattress kits. Glad we did because my wife and I are now sleeping better.

Re: My new SleepEZ 13,000 mattress kit
Reply #8 Dec 8, 2007 8:45 AM
Did you get a base from Sleepez?
Reply #9 Dec 8, 2007 12:28 PM
No.  My old Spring Air came with a foundation and it is still in great shape so we put the kit on top of that.   We probably could have gone with a 10,000 model in terms of comfort but I wanted the extra height that a 13,000 gives with the 4th layer.
Reply #10 Dec 8, 2007 2:13 PM
beergut wrote:
No.  My old Spring Air came with a foundation and it is still in great shape so we put the kit on top of that.   We probably could have gone with a 10,000 model in terms of comfort but I wanted the extra height that a 13,000 gives with the 4th layer.

I was about to ask you why you did the 13,000 versus the 10,000. I read elsewhere that they normally recommended the 10,000.

BTW, do you find the bed springy/spongy? Some latex beds become bouncy, how do they avoid this at Sleepez?
This message was modified Dec 8, 2007 by novahelp
Reply #11 Dec 8, 2007 8:28 PM
I have a FloBed that is similar to a SleepEZ and my bed is not springy since I have the layers as very firm with a 1.5" soft Talalay Latex Queen Size Topper over a 44 ILD over a 36 ILD over a 36 ILD with an organic cotton and wool cover over a pine slat box with organic cotton sides and 10" legs for storage underneath and height for my high pretty Iron Headboard.  My other side right now has the same 1.5" latex topper (is one piece) over a 36 ILD over a 44 ILD over a 36 ILD over the same slat box and legs.  I find my bed has a little cushion but is very firm and supportive without pressure points and I turn so much less from side to side like I did with my extra firm Posturepedic bed that was a little bit too firm with no cushion.  I also sleep with Latex Pillows and always had slept with latex pillows all of my life but never realized I would love a Latex Bed.
Reply #12 Dec 9, 2007 5:51 AM
Yes. The kit does have a bit of a springy/spongy feel.  It's a different feel than a conventional bed.   Last night I tried to sleep as much as I could on my stomach. I wanted to see if the kit would hurt my lumbar.  It did not.  It's nice not to sleep in a crater anymore.
Reply #13 Dec 9, 2007 2:23 PM
beergut, I just think it is wonderful to not have springs pushing into my back like my old Sealy Posturpedic Bed that had no cushion and was their firmest bed that I bought around 14 years ago.  I used to turn from side to side but despite its flaws soft beds always hurt my back. I love my Latex Bed since I can move the latex cores around to get the right comfort level and it accommodates to my body but bounces back and looks nice again before going to sleep the next night.  I am glad you are happy also and are a latex convert. But there are still people that do not like Latex beds and that is fine that is why there are so many choices to choose from since we are all so different.
Reply #14 Dec 16, 2007 10:06 AM
The new mattress cover came FedEx ground a few days ago.  This cover was slightly different than the original in that the new zipper is not as heavy duty.  The teeth are fine vs. being course. Still a quality product just built slightly different.

We took the kit apart and then reassembled into the new case.  I rolled up the old case and packed it up to ship back to SleepEZ.  Shawn said to sent it back FedEx ground C.O.D.    The FedEX pick-up point in my town does not accept C.O.D. packages.  Another call to Shawn asking if I should send it back UPS ground C.O.D. got an interesting answer.  He said not to bother with shipment. Keep the original mattress case and if you can repair the zipper handle go right ahead and do so.

Not a bad deal I guess.  My wife and I are still happy with our new mattress and would buy another SleepEZ product again. No reason not to. We now have a quality mattress and Shawn did his best to make everything easy for us.

See you later folks. This will probably be my last post as it was never my intention to patrol this forum.    Hope my experience with SleepEZ helped someone out there.

Reply #15 Dec 16, 2007 12:07 PM
Now that I switched my topper from the 1" Overstock one to the 1.5" natural latex topper made by Latex International sent to me by FloBeds.com, I see it does have a little springy feel.   I have the topper over a 44 ILD over two 36 ILD's on one side and over a 36 ILD over a >45 ILd over a 36 ILD on the other side of my bed.  I do love my Latex Mattress a lot especially being able to see what it is made out of and the fact it has no chemicals in it.

Beergut, thanks for sharing your experience. Please do not leave us and keep us updated on how you love your latex mattress. I am glad things worked out well with your exerience with SleepEz. Thanks for sharing.

This message was modified Dec 16, 2007 by a moderator
Reply #16 Dec 16, 2007 3:20 PM
Lynn2006 wrote:
Now that I switched my topper from the 1" Overstock one to the 1.5" natural latex topper made by Latex International sent to me by FloBeds.com, I see it does have a little springy feel.   I have the topper over a 44 ILD over two 36 ILD's on one side and over a 36 ILD over a >45 ILd over a 36 ILD on the other side of my bed.  I do love my Latex Mattress a lot especially being able to see what it is made out of and the fact it has no chemicals in it.

Beergut, thanks for sharing your experience. Please do not leave us and keep us updated on how you love your latex mattress. I am glad things worked out well with your exerience with SleepEz. Thanks for sharing.

Just an observation. The last thing I think would be smart would be to take a low quality foam from Overstock and place it on your high quality (and expensive) latex foam from Flobeds.

I had an overstock topper a long time ago and returned it as Overstock LIES about the density of their memory foam and the quality was just terrible. I got a FBM topper  afterwards and it was MUCH MUCH better.
This message was modified Dec 16, 2007 by a moderator
Reply #17 Dec 16, 2007 6:21 PM
Novahelp, before ordering my FloBed, I was sleeping on the floor on top of the 1" latex topper I bought from Overstock by the recommendations of my Decorating Site to try out latex. My platform bed with drawers underneath it that was 14 years old had collapsed (that goodness I was not sleeping on it) and the painter never returned my phone calls to put it back together since he moved it when he was painting. I needed a new mattress anyway and a real bedroom set so I let my client (who referred the painter) take it apart and I went shopping for a bed around President's Day in February.  I was lied to by the Rockaway store that the sample Roosevelt Mattress had no Polyurethane Foam in it and was all natural latex. I was so sick the first night with the outgassing in my small enclosed bedroom and I could not breath lying on it that I actually left the room to sleep on the floor over a down comforter and blankets in the storage room!   That is when I asked my decorating site for help on what type of bed should I buy being that I was chemically sensitive.  They told me to first order a 1" latex topper to have some more comfort sleeping on the floor in my bedroom once the Conventional mattress and frame were taken back by the Rockaway Bedding Store.  They told me then I could tell if I liked sleeping on latex and if I had any allergies to it.  Since I slept with latex pillows my whole life, I thought this was a good idea.  I had no allergies to the latex topper and loved it and put it over my 1/2" old exercise matt and covered it with a fitted sheet and a blanket. My bed was so comfortable on the floor.

When my FloBed arrived the 2" convoluted topper was too soft for me being that I am not quite 100 lbs and not quite 5 feet tall so I did not sink in enough to feel the solid bed underneath. I also did not have latex cores firm enough underneath the topper so that added to the problem.  I returned the 2" latex topper and Dave told me he would find me a 1.5" medium density topper.  I used my 1" topper and did not like the Dunlap topper he sent to me so I sent it back. Dave then found me a 1.5" Talalay Latex Topper and sent that to me and now with my firmer latex cores and this topper, I feel comfortable.  I will keep the 1" latex topper for guests. It was good for the purposes I used it for and I still liked it but it ripped easily and was a little bit small for my Queen size zipped up mattress cover. By the way, Dave sent me return postage labels and I was so impressed by the wonderful service from FloBeds in making sure I was comfortable. 

Thanks Novahelp for sharing your experience with Overstock toppers.

Recent Posts