Mattress Topper HELP!
Jul 29, 2012 12:30 PM
A year and half ago my wife and i bought a Denver Durango Mattress (firm) that has not offered the support I needed.  I have a bad back--lower disc degeneration and chronic back tension.  So we bought a Sleep Better 2" extra firm foam mattress topper on Amazon a year ago and that did the trick for a month or two.  Now I am waking up evernight feeling like I've been beaten by sock with a roll of quarters in it. My wife too.  Basically, there are two hole where my wife and I sleep in the foam.  I am about 220 lbs. 

I just came from vacation and slept on many different beds (including a cot in a dorm room), all of which gave me a decent night sleep!  ACK!

Anyway, my instinct is to just buy a thicker topper; the same product but 5" thick.  But I have a couple concerns:

1.  Allergies: We both have them and something hypoallergenic would be great.

2.  Temperature: by most accounts, the foam affects sleeping temperature.

Mostly, I am not sure what the right product is for me.  I have narrowed it down latex toppers, the foam, and memory foam--is there another product I am missing?  If I understand right, given my bed already doesn't provide enough support, I am thinking memory foam is maybe not the best idea.  Does that sounds right? Is latex firm enough?

I'd love any advice or pointed to specific products would be great.  I think $300 is the max of our budget, but will take a serious look at anything.

Also, I am open to MATTRESS VOODOO, so if there is some combination for products--from plywood to banana peals--that would suggest, I'd be very open.

THANKS!!! 

Re: Mattress Topper HELP!
Reply #6 Aug 31, 2012 3:05 AM
The reason that you have body impressions is an unfortunate one- it's cheap foam that you purchased. Cheap poly foam is like cancer- it's terrible and it's everywhere. It's also super cheap for companies to produce. Why else do you think every mattress isn't filled with latex instead of this crappy poly-fill? Answer: the poly-foam is less expensive to manufacture, and it won't last you as long, so you can buy another one of "their" mattresses sooner.

I'd recommend latex over memory foam. Memory foam is a petro chemical based product, and has hundreds of chemicals in its make-up. If you have allergies, it is not for you. Temperature wise, people say memory foam sleeps hot, but I don't find it to be any different than latex (which I sleep on). With that being said, don't skimp on the topper. If you get a generic latex topper, chances are it will be fake latex (read: petro chemical based). It must specify 100% natural. And with how they manufacture latex, it is inherently very breathable, and I don't think you will find it sleeps "hot".  P.S. Latex foam is the best foam you can purchase on the market for bounce back durability, you simply won't have to worry about body impressions like you would with a regular foam topper. Here is a good one I recommend (I have one in my guest room, it's wonderful) Good luck!

This message was modified Aug 21, 2015 by a moderator
Reply #7 Sep 2, 2012 2:19 PM
I would recommend you buy a topper made by Latex International and also research the differences between blended latex and 100% natural latex before making a purchase.
Reply #8 Sep 25, 2012 12:40 PM
Thanks a ton--all.  Sorry for the late response.

tgstogner,  thanks for the specific recommendation.  I have to be honest, sometimes we are so busy we don't have the time for it!!  So i really appreciate this suggestion and I am looking forward to doing it soon.

THANKS!

Reply #9 Sep 26, 2012 8:53 AM
Hello..  You poor thing one more person that just doesn't get it... forget about building the perfect mattress over something that already isn't right for you.. NO topper will be your fix.. please do yourself a favor and not waste your money doing this.   By the time you finally find a topper which btw will not be a memory anything you will have exhausted your budget to only have another uncomfortable piece of material on that bed.   Start saving your money and put it toward a firm mattress that has a good covering over it that doesn't include memory foam at all.   it will condense and after a short time be a cave that your body falls into..  With any back issues you will need more support than memory foam can give you, even the best memory foam out there will become your enemy to your body.   A really good Latex bed is probably your best bet.. but it has to be a firm one that has a somewhat plusher top but not a pillow top.. Some of the new Stearns & Foster Beds are latex.. but on a high end $$$ wise.   Good luck I had trouble with all of them and ended up buying a fairly cheaper mattress that is coil with a nice quilted top.. my back finally has support and isn't killing me all night long.  Wish I had known all I know now could have saved myself about 8,000 dollars + of mattress mistakes...  Do not do the surgeries everyone talkes about on this forum, you will have a mattress that will need to be thrown out in the end..   Even all these toppers do not come cheap and if they are cheap that's your red flag not to buy.  Good luck, save your money and buy another bed for yourself, in the end you will be better off.. Sleep well my friend..
Reply #10 Oct 1, 2012 3:33 PM
Glenbury et al,

From the posts above yours I ruled out memory foam for my issue.  And I am content to go with the latex topper, and willing to spend a bit more than my initial $300 budget.  The latex topper tsgtogner suggested looks great, but I am wondering if I would be better off with a 3 inch vs 2 inch.

I appreciate the generic is not the way to go.  and you have to spend some coin to get some quality.  and with the topper suggested, in the cal king, we're at nearly $519 for3 inches.  So I admit I am hesitating.

the 2 inch is $389, which fits more comfortably in my head.

So my last last question is the age old question (albeit from a different forum entirely), does the extra inch matter?

Reply #11 Oct 2, 2012 1:21 PM
wordfinder2 wrote:

Glenbury et al,

From the posts above yours I ruled out memory foam for my issue.  And I am content to go with the latex topper, and willing to spend a bit more than my initial $300 budget.  The latex topper tsgtogner suggested looks great, but I am wondering if I would be better off with a 3 inch vs 2 inch.

I appreciate the generic is not the way to go.  and you have to spend some coin to get some quality.  and with the topper suggested, in the cal king, we're at nearly $519 for3 inches.  So I admit I am hesitating.

the 2 inch is $389, which fits more comfortably in my head.

So my last last question is the age old question (albeit from a different forum entirely), does the extra inch matter?

Probably not.  A simple Latex model is a 2" comfort layer over a 6" core layer, knowing that you will get some comfort out of the 6" core.  Presumably your mattress has some comfort on top.  Just be sure you are adding a comfort layer to a core layer that is not broken.  A topper will not fix a sagging or cratered or otherwise supportless mattress.

GK

Reply #12 Oct 2, 2012 7:17 PM
GKDesigns wrote:

Just be sure you are adding a comfort layer to a core layer that is not broken.  A topper will not fix a sagging or cratered or otherwise supportless mattress.

^^^ Very important point.

I looked up the Denver Durango mattress specs, and if I found the right thing, that mattress has 5" of lightweight poly foam (most of it 1.8 lb density) above the springs. That is a lot of foam, and if that stuff is sagging and has deep body impressions, no topper will help. Might be time for mattress surgery (if the springs themselves are good and if your foundation is good), or time for a new mattress.

Reply #13 Oct 2, 2012 10:12 PM
Catherine wrote:

I looked up the Denver Durango mattress specs, and if I found the right thing, that mattress has 5" of lightweight poly foam (most of it 1.8 lb density) above the springs. That is a lot of foam, and if that stuff is sagging and has deep body impressions, no topper will help. Might be time for mattress surgery (if the springs themselves are good and if your foundation is good), or time for a new mattress.

Agreed, that is a lot of foam... adding more to it would not help.

GK

Reply #14 Oct 3, 2012 11:16 AM
Wow, this thread took a discouraging turn for me.  When i bought this mattress, i did research it and, from I found, and from the people on forums I spoke to, like this one, the specs SEE BELOW)  were good.  And I quote, "The components look good. Supersoft foam is a 1.5lb foam and is at the bottom end of what I consider to be acceptable. However, it is in the acceptable range and is a durable, comfortable foam. The spring unit appears to be the same one we use in our pocketed coil products which Is a very nice spring unit. I am not a huge fan of convoluted foam however, in a firm construction it should not make a difference and should hold up just fine. Overall it looks like a good product."

My point is it SO HARD to be a good consumer on the many things we end up buying in a lifetime.  And nothing is harder than finding a decent thing to sleep on.  I appreciate everyone's input, but I now I feel like I have to get rid of this expensive mattress ($900) that is only three years old.

I can't tell if it has a huge body impression in it from looking at it.  My guess is yes.  I don't know.  Very discouraging. 

I think if I replace it i will, as someone said, go get a super cheap, firm mattress and then buy a latex pad for it.  Does that sound about right?

Total Sleep System

Quilt Layers:
Double Knit Ticking
1 1/2" of 1.8lb Density Convoluted Foam
1" Super Soft Foam
Natural Rayon Fire Barrier
Comfort layers:
1 1/4" of 1.8lb Density Convoluted Foam
1 1/4" Firm convoluted Foam
1 Flex Net Insulator
Support System:
616* Foam Encased,
Swedish Individually Wrapped Coils
14.5 Gauge Tempered Steel
Foundation:
Steel Modular Foundation
Also Compatible with Adjustable Base

Reply #15 Oct 3, 2012 12:53 PM
Ultimately, you will have to decide what direction to take with your mattress.

Basically, you want a solid, flat foundation; a core layer for support; and a comfort layer for pressure relief.  Ideally, the comfort layer will contour to your body to distribute your bearing weight as much as possible, not allow body sag or set, and ventilate heat and moisture.  And do this as well as possible for your height, weight, and sleep positions to maintain comfortable spinal alignment.

The actual materials and layers used must work together to affect these functional requirements.  If your existing mattress is only lacking a comfort layer, then adding a topper can fix it.  But if your existing mattress is lacking core support or has failed layers, covering these defects with a topper will not fix it... hence, mattress surgery.

It is said that super soft foam breaks down/fails sooner than firmer foam.

GK

Recent Posts