Mattress Topper HELP!
Jul 29, 2012 12:30 PM
A year and half ago my wife and i bought a Denver Durango Mattress (firm) that has not offered the support I needed.  I have a bad back--lower disc degeneration and chronic back tension.  So we bought a Sleep Better 2" extra firm foam mattress topper on Amazon a year ago and that did the trick for a month or two.  Now I am waking up evernight feeling like I've been beaten by sock with a roll of quarters in it. My wife too.  Basically, there are two hole where my wife and I sleep in the foam.  I am about 220 lbs. 

I just came from vacation and slept on many different beds (including a cot in a dorm room), all of which gave me a decent night sleep!  ACK!

Anyway, my instinct is to just buy a thicker topper; the same product but 5" thick.  But I have a couple concerns:

1.  Allergies: We both have them and something hypoallergenic would be great.

2.  Temperature: by most accounts, the foam affects sleeping temperature.

Mostly, I am not sure what the right product is for me.  I have narrowed it down latex toppers, the foam, and memory foam--is there another product I am missing?  If I understand right, given my bed already doesn't provide enough support, I am thinking memory foam is maybe not the best idea.  Does that sounds right? Is latex firm enough?

I'd love any advice or pointed to specific products would be great.  I think $300 is the max of our budget, but will take a serious look at anything.

Also, I am open to MATTRESS VOODOO, so if there is some combination for products--from plywood to banana peals--that would suggest, I'd be very open.

THANKS!!! 

Re: Mattress Topper HELP!
Reply #13 Oct 2, 2012 10:12 PM
Catherine wrote:

I looked up the Denver Durango mattress specs, and if I found the right thing, that mattress has 5" of lightweight poly foam (most of it 1.8 lb density) above the springs. That is a lot of foam, and if that stuff is sagging and has deep body impressions, no topper will help. Might be time for mattress surgery (if the springs themselves are good and if your foundation is good), or time for a new mattress.

Agreed, that is a lot of foam... adding more to it would not help.

GK

Reply #14 Oct 3, 2012 11:16 AM
Wow, this thread took a discouraging turn for me.  When i bought this mattress, i did research it and, from I found, and from the people on forums I spoke to, like this one, the specs SEE BELOW)  were good.  And I quote, "The components look good. Supersoft foam is a 1.5lb foam and is at the bottom end of what I consider to be acceptable. However, it is in the acceptable range and is a durable, comfortable foam. The spring unit appears to be the same one we use in our pocketed coil products which Is a very nice spring unit. I am not a huge fan of convoluted foam however, in a firm construction it should not make a difference and should hold up just fine. Overall it looks like a good product."

My point is it SO HARD to be a good consumer on the many things we end up buying in a lifetime.  And nothing is harder than finding a decent thing to sleep on.  I appreciate everyone's input, but I now I feel like I have to get rid of this expensive mattress ($900) that is only three years old.

I can't tell if it has a huge body impression in it from looking at it.  My guess is yes.  I don't know.  Very discouraging. 

I think if I replace it i will, as someone said, go get a super cheap, firm mattress and then buy a latex pad for it.  Does that sound about right?

Total Sleep System

Quilt Layers:
Double Knit Ticking
1 1/2" of 1.8lb Density Convoluted Foam
1" Super Soft Foam
Natural Rayon Fire Barrier
Comfort layers:
1 1/4" of 1.8lb Density Convoluted Foam
1 1/4" Firm convoluted Foam
1 Flex Net Insulator
Support System:
616* Foam Encased,
Swedish Individually Wrapped Coils
14.5 Gauge Tempered Steel
Foundation:
Steel Modular Foundation
Also Compatible with Adjustable Base

Reply #15 Oct 3, 2012 12:53 PM
Ultimately, you will have to decide what direction to take with your mattress.

Basically, you want a solid, flat foundation; a core layer for support; and a comfort layer for pressure relief.  Ideally, the comfort layer will contour to your body to distribute your bearing weight as much as possible, not allow body sag or set, and ventilate heat and moisture.  And do this as well as possible for your height, weight, and sleep positions to maintain comfortable spinal alignment.

The actual materials and layers used must work together to affect these functional requirements.  If your existing mattress is only lacking a comfort layer, then adding a topper can fix it.  But if your existing mattress is lacking core support or has failed layers, covering these defects with a topper will not fix it... hence, mattress surgery.

It is said that super soft foam breaks down/fails sooner than firmer foam.

GK

Reply #16 Oct 4, 2012 11:28 AM
GK, Thanks.  My problem right now is figuring out the exact problem.  As you stated so well, the real question is what is the current situation of my mattress?  And my problem is, I don't know how to tell.  I suppose laying on it rolling around should tell me if the there are deep impressions.  I am 220lbs (6ft) and my wife is about 130lbs, (5,3") so I am guessing definately some, certainly on my side (though we rotate the mattress).

So these are my questions, and I hope you (or others who know) might be willing to help more:

1) Besides what I stated above, is there a way to evaluate how solid and flat your core is?

2)  Since you seem to understand this stuff, do the specs above assert that the core is basically good (seperate from the foam; or does the foam interfer too much for it matter?)?

3) Can you direct me someplace that might explain what you mean by "mattress surgery?"

4) Does my plan from my previous post sound like a good new start?  Go buy a cheap $150-200 firm mattress to act as my firm, flat support and then add a latex topper?

5)  If not, can you suggest another direction?

My wife thinks we should call Denver Mattress and just tell them what is up and see what they say.  With the mattress being three years old, I think what they will say is, "Come buy a new mattress?"  But maybe not.

Again, THANKS SO MUCH!  it's a shame this stuff gets so complicated.  I should mention we're redoing our bedroom, and so we've been sleeping a ten year old queen.  A serta, which is bowing inwarn in the middle.  But we have been sleeping SO well.  Despite the bow, it is still firm and even.

AM

Reply #17 Oct 4, 2012 12:06 PM
Dear Wordfinder.. it amazes me how technical everyone wants to get with mattresses these days.. You are making it more complicated than it is.. there is NO bed our there that for 150-200 dollars that is even worth your time and effort to get it in your house worth a hill of beans.. and to buy a topper for it.. give it up already.. today a 900 dollar mattress is actually a cheap find.. you may luck out and get one that holds up for a year or two, but believe me the quality of things today do not stand the test of time.. Cut your losses and start a new search for a mattress to suit your needs and make sure you have really strong box springs that have support under them or you will destroy the mattress above each and every night you sleep on it.  I wish you sweet dreams .. .>>> eventually..

Reply #18 Oct 4, 2012 2:08 PM
>>1) Besides what I stated above, is there a way to evaluate how solid and flat your core is?

From what you have posted, the core is individual coils wrapped in foam.  That construction probably relies on the foundation below for support and flatness.  And individual coils can tend to push back at you individually... sort of like each coil beating you like a roll of quarters as you move about.  This is all covered by lots of soft foam, which is proably not offering much comfort or isolation.  All in all, not a system worth building on, imo.

>>2)  Since you seem to understand this stuff, do the specs above assert that the core is basically good (seperate from the foam; or does the foam interfer too much for it matter?)?

Core construction is not good, imo.  I'm envisioning a foam sack full of loose coils.

>>3) Can you direct me someplace that might explain what you mean by "mattress surgery?"

Search this website.  If you have a good innerspring mattress but the surface comfort layer has failed, you might consider replacing the failed comfort layer to save some money.  But your mattress does not seem to be a good candidate for such DIY salvation.

>>4) Does my plan from my previous post sound like a good new start?  Go buy a cheap $150-200 firm mattress to act as my firm, flat support and then add a latex topper?

That could be a viable plan... buy a firm, mostly core innerspring mattress and tune the comfort layer with a Latex topper.  But I would expect to pay more for quality components.

>>5)  If not, can you suggest another direction?

This forum often recommends finding a local mattress maker who has been around awhile and who is still building decent, functional bed systems without the pop nonsense like huge pillowtops made of short lasting foam.

>>My wife thinks we should call Denver Mattress and just tell them what is up and see what they say.  With the mattress being three years old, I think what they will say is, "Come buy a new mattress?"  But maybe not.

A call might reach someone willing to share good advice... perhaps acknowledge that your current mattress is not worth saving.

>>Again, THANKS SO MUCH!  it's a shame this stuff gets so complicated.  I should mention we're redoing our bedroom, and so we've been sleeping a ten year old queen.  A serta, which is bowing inwarn in the middle.  But we have been sleeping SO well.  Despite the bow, it is still firm and even.

Be sure it's supported below, or prop it up from below to see if you can improve it easily for near term comfort.

GK

This message was modified Oct 4, 2012 by GKDesigns
Reply #19 Oct 5, 2012 10:57 AM
Again, Thanks all.  I have a good understanding of what i need.  It's a shame this isn't simpler, but I am glad there are people to help.

One last question, what are the baseline specs for a core innerspring mattress?  I don't mind searching but I don't know exactly what to ask for, especially since so many sales people tell you what you want to hear (though I am going to try to go to a manufactuer.  We have one local to Tulsa)  Should the springs be a certain thickness or something?

Or better yet, if someone wants to suggest one...

either way, I am on the search.  What about putting a latex topper on a futon?  I am just thinking.

Anyway, i know my goal now.  Find a a strong core mattress, the hell with the comfort level.  Then add a comfort level.

Also, I have to convince my wife all of this makes sense and get the money together.

So much fun!

Seriously though, you guys are awesome.

Reply #20 Oct 5, 2012 12:01 PM
Dear Word.. the higher the coil count usually speaks volumes to the support of the mattress.. However once again the confusing industry as it is.. doesn't want the consumer to be too smart, so they throw out that statement by saying if you have more coils they will be thinner to fit them all in..(causing less support)   and sometimes what they cover the coils in materials  as well. hence a very frustrated consumer..  I don't doubt in the future we will not have coil beds to choose from and then talk about confusion.. there will be millions of inferior makers out there with sub-standard materials at all differnt price ranges to snag us into the purchase..   If you do end up doing a topper make it a very good latex otherwise drive down the street and throw your money out the window.  First and foremost.. YOU are not a manufacturer and cannot create your own bed, well maybe you can for a few months, but then it's downhill from there.. You will be fooling with that senerio for months to come and then become so mad at the entire mattress you are sleeping on that you will hack it up in the garage..  Keep looking and laying on beds everywhere you can and make the best of what your pocketbook allows, otherwise any topper under a couple of hundred dollars is not going to do the trick..by the time you get done you may as well have purchased another bed period..   Good luck!!!
Reply #21 Oct 5, 2012 12:11 PM
GKDesigns wrote:

...And individual coils can tend to push back at you individually...

Well, that's the point of using pocketed coils -- to have them conform to your body -- isn't it? But without the feeling of being beaten by a roll of quarters, I'd hope. (Great analogy, by the way. The pocket coils in my low-end Simmons mattress are 13 gauge, and they might be a tad too sturdy for me 'cause I'm such a lightweight.)

...I'm envisioning a foam sack full of loose coils.

I'd expect the coil pockets (not the coils themselves, but the fabric pockets) to be connected to each other in some fashion, so they shouldn't be completely loose. I'm guessing that the "foam encasing" refers to a foam border around the whole mattress, not around each coil.

Wordfinder2, since you appear to be at the "nothing left to lose" stage with this mattress, I encourage you to do an exploratory surgery -- cut off the top (or cut 3 sides of it so you can fold it back) and take a look inside. Remove the crappy foam and see what's underneath. You might find that the coils are still usable and just need a few inches of latex or HR poly foam for cushioning; but even if the coils are not usable, then (a) you'll know for sure, before spending money on another mattress, and (b) you'll get a bit of hands-on education about mattress construction. I've found that there's nothing quite like seeing the innards of these beasts -- and feeling just how squishy the cheap foam is -- to make some of this stuff less abstract.

This message was modified Oct 5, 2012 by Catherine
Reply #22 Oct 5, 2012 12:34 PM
wordfinder2 wrote:

Again, Thanks all.  I have a good understanding of what i need.  It's a shame this isn't simpler, but I am glad there are people to help.

One last question, what are the baseline specs for a core innerspring mattress?  I don't mind searching but I don't know exactly what to ask for, especially since so many sales people tell you what you want to hear (though I am going to try to go to a manufactuer.  We have one local to Tulsa)  Should the springs be a certain thickness or something?

Or better yet, if someone wants to suggest one...

either way, I am on the search.  What about putting a latex topper on a futon?  I am just thinking.

Anyway, i know my goal now.  Find a a strong core mattress, the hell with the comfort level.  Then add a comfort level.

Also, I have to convince my wife all of this makes sense and get the money together.

So much fun!

Seriously though, you guys are awesome.

I don't have any spring advice for you other than to try and compare floor models, learn how they are constructed, and try to feel their function apart from the intervening layers.  Also, it takes some time for your back and body to relax to be fully carried by the mattress.  This will happen sooner on a good system your body 'trusts'.  Maybe you will be able to sense this transition.

Even if you knew what springs you thought you wanted, you would likely have to moderate this expectation with what can be determined about what is available.  Discover a little, put together your base 'expectation', and then don't hesitate to spot the junky dumb stuff.

As for a Latex topper, consider LI Talalay Blended in the 19-28 ILD range.  How it will behave will depend on the thickness and how it interacts with the layers below.  28 tends to be 'cushion firm'.  3" of 19 would make an extra firm mattress sort of comfy.  Tuning Latex is no easier than finding a mattress you like.

I would shop for a complete mattress system and only consider adding a topper if that seems like a good followup plan.

GK

Recent Posts