Mattress protector for TP or generic MF
Jun 9, 2010 9:20 PM
Ouch
Location: San Jose, CA
Joined: Apr 4, 2010
Points: 143
Anybody have any positive experiences with mattress protectors for TP or other MF mattresses? The one I was using, which worked fine with a semi-latex Serta doesn't work well with our new TP Bellafina. It interferes with the action of the foam surface.

I know that TP sells one. But, it's kinda pricey.

Re: Mattress protector for TP or generic MF
Reply #1 Jun 9, 2010 9:51 PM
Joined: Dec 17, 2009
Points: 850
I am assuming the mattress pad you did not like is a cotton terry cover with a water proof backing on it?

The Tempur pads are essentially the same thing.  I have recommended it to other people....I would check out the Dormeir mattress pads.

http://dormeir.com/

My parents use it on their Tempurs....even though it is actually thicker than a standard water proof protector, it isn't very stiff and it seems to interfere less with the comfort.  They are not technically water proof but it will keep the mattress completely dry under normal circumstances.

Re: Mattress protector for TP or generic MF
Reply #2 Jun 9, 2010 9:57 PM
Ouch
Location: San Jose, CA
Joined: Apr 4, 2010
Points: 143
Yes. It's terry with a thin rubberized backing. It's called "Sleep Tite" by a company called Malouf.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035ENP5A

Have you ever heard of anybody just Scotch-guarding a TP mattress' existing cover? Maybe that's something worth looking into, as I really like the full TP feeling of just the sheet on the mattress.

Re: Mattress protector for TP or generic MF
Reply #3 Jun 10, 2010 12:51 AM
Joined: Mar 14, 2010
Points: 185
garypen wrote:

Yes. It's terry with a thin rubberized backing. It's called "Sleep Tite" by a company called Malouf.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035ENP5A

Have you ever heard of anybody just Scotch-guarding a TP mattress' existing cover? Maybe that's something worth looking into, as I really like the full TP feeling of just the sheet on the mattress.


I would make sure you really, really love the bed before you Scotchguard it. Would that void your entire warranty?

That mattress cover you linked to is the one I got and I like it on my latex.

Re: Mattress protector for TP or generic MF
Reply #4 Jun 10, 2010 1:15 AM
Ouch
Location: San Jose, CA
Joined: Apr 4, 2010
Points: 143
The protector worked great on the springy semi-latex Vera Wang. But, it just seems to impede the more specific body contouring properties of the MF in the TP.

Good point about the Scotch Guard and the warranty. But, would they really be able to tell?

Re: Mattress protector for TP or generic MF
Reply #5 Jun 10, 2010 4:17 AM
Location: L.A. area
Joined: Jan 18, 2008
Points: 1160
cynicaljones wrote:


I would make sure you really, really love the bed before you Scotchguard it. Would that void your entire warranty?

That mattress cover you linked to is the one I got and I like it on my latex.


Isn't Scotchgard a potentially toxic substance that you wouldn't want to put your nose and lungs next to for 8 hours a day?

I know I wouldn't.

Re: Mattress protector for TP or generic MF
Reply #6 Jun 10, 2010 5:04 AM
Joined: May 22, 2010
Points: 112
jimsocal wrote:

Isn't Scotchgard a potentially toxic substance that you wouldn't want to put your nose and lungs next to for 8 hours a day?

I know I wouldn't.

Scotchgard toxicity...

Re: Mattress protector for TP or generic MF
Reply #7 Jun 10, 2010 7:35 PM
Joined: Dec 17, 2009
Points: 850
i definitely would avoid chemical fabric treatments
Re: Mattress protector for TP or generic MF
Reply #9 Jun 10, 2010 8:48 PM
Ouch
Location: San Jose, CA
Joined: Apr 4, 2010
Points: 143
Thanks for the info guys!

Recent Posts