Let's talk pillows
Aug 17, 2011 10:34 PM
Pillows seem to be overlooked. However, just as important as the right mattress.

Recently bought a Tempur Cloud w/1 Rhapsody pillow & 1 Cloud pillow.

The Rhapsody pillow ended up being too high for me as it kept my head at an upward angle & I was waking up with neck pain. The Cloud pillow was a lot better, but I don't think it's 100% right for me either plus it only comes in standard size. Too small as I have a king bed & it is annoying having to keep moving the pillow as I move.

The Tempur side pillow seems like it would be excellent for me (side sleeper), but it's too small. As of now, I think the only good option for my body is the Tempur neck pillow as it comes in king size.

I really would like to stay with a memory foem pillow, but am open to other options. However, no down (allergies & asthma)

Re: Let's talk pillows
Reply #1 Aug 18, 2011 1:27 AM
I had been using a Tempurpedic Symphony pillow for over 3 years.  The trouble I suspect with 'contour' or fixed shape pillows is they force you to position your head to them.  You can't shape them or smush them the way you like.   I'm not so sure that is the best thing for sleeping.

When I lay on my side, I kinda need to tuck my chin down a little bit and that is hard to do on a foam block (contour) type pillow. 

I switched back to a down alternative pillow that was free with the Stearns and Foster purchase (which was returned back).  It's a 'Chambercombe' pillow.  I suspect they don't even sell it here in US.  The filling is polyester.  I'll keep using it for a while.

How's that Cloud?

Reply #2 Aug 18, 2011 1:35 AM
I have a <a href="http://www.vivetique.com/3_Pillows.html">Vivetique Organic Natural Latex Pillow</a> that I like.  It replaces a 50 year old feather/down pillow my grandmother made. The pillow is not as malleable as feather/down, but I could not bring myself to purchase a feather/down pillow after reading some animal cruelty related stories (which may not be true). While wool is also an animal product, I keep telling myself the sheep don't suffer when you sheer them.  I didn't want any manufactured product.  This is a good pillow for side sleeping. When I sleep on my stomach, I don't use any pillow at all.  You might see if you can find a wool pillow locally to try out.

I can't understand how those memory foam pillows with one shape can work for people who sleep in many positions.

Reply #3 Aug 18, 2011 10:30 AM
IN looking for beds i fell in love with the Tempur neck pillow.  It was like i would melt into the pillow and the bed and it was very comfortable in store.  I went ahead and bought one, but my bed will not arrive until next week so i have only slet on it for 2 nights on a s mattress.  It came a lot harder then the ones i used in the stores, but thats because its not broken in.  I think it will work better on my Tempur bed when i get that as well.  It's not bad and i wondn't say i wake with any neck pain.

There were 2 other pilliow's i  loved in the stores, one was a Tempur pillow, it was very granulated and now for the life of me i cannot find it anywhere.  It's become my mission to find it again, but i have had no luck to date.  The other pillow i really liked was a sealy Embody pillow.  It was very plush and it was nice in the store as well.  The embody pillow is not cheap so i have held off on getting it, maybe i will if i can't get comfortable on the new bed. 

Reply #4 Aug 18, 2011 5:49 PM
sleepswithcats wrote:

I have a <a href="http://www.vivetique.com/3_Pillows.html">Vivetique Organic Natural Latex Pillow</a> that I like.  It replaces a 50 year old feather/down pillow my grandmother made. The pillow is not as malleable as feather/down, but I could not bring myself to purchase a feather/down pillow after reading some animal cruelty related stories (which may not be true). While wool is also an animal product, I keep telling myself the sheep don't suffer when you sheer them.  I didn't want any manufactured product.  This is a good pillow for side sleeping. When I sleep on my stomach, I don't use any pillow at all.  You might see if you can find a wool pillow locally to try out.

I can't understand how those memory foam pillows with one shape can work for people who sleep in many positions.

I would just avoid down coming from China or Hungary.  It is fairly common practice in both countries to strip the birds of their down while still alive...this is extremely cruel and sad.  Down from reputable companies comes from larger more mature birds that are killed for food, the down is a bi-product of the food industry - its as common to eat goose in Europe as it is chicken. The best down comes from old birds that have fully mature down, so as wierd as it may sound...really the least 'cruel' downs are the most expensive. Sheep are usually much more comfortable after being sheared...of course as with any industry...sadly there probably are some farms that do not take the best care of the sheep.  

Myself...I always prefer natural products, in the greater picture we can buy oil based products that directly increases the demand for oil...which fuels and industry that destroys all kinds of natural beauty and wildlife.  

Reply #5 Aug 18, 2011 8:52 PM
Has anyone here ever tried a kapok pillow?
Reply #6 Aug 19, 2011 8:56 AM
No down pillows for me.

Anyone ever use a buckwheat or microbead pillow?

Reply #8 Aug 21, 2011 1:15 AM
Tried the isotonic indulgence pillow today @ bed bath & beyond. I really liked it, but $60 for the damn king size made me leave without it. Yes, I spent more on the Tempur pillows, but we know that's comparing apples to oranges as well. Trying to find an online site that sells this pillow cheaper, but no luck so far.
Reply #9 Aug 22, 2011 12:28 PM
tompa wrote:

No down pillows for me.

Anyone ever use a buckwheat or microbead pillow?

I tried the buckwheat/micro-bead in the search for the perfect pillow. The buckwheat/micro-bead didn't do the trick. I found myself waking up in an uncomfortable position as well as being too hot. I've two memory foam ones. One is being used to pad my desk chair. It does a great job of cushioning by behind but not my head....smiley

I don't know what to try. Years ago I slept on a down pillow and didn't like it (hot and caused some allergy problems). I ran across a pillow when at one of the big mattress stores. It was supposedly comprise of coconut foam. Seems really soft and was $100.surprise

I may have to buy some remnants from one of the online mattress companies and try building one out of latex.indecision

Reply #10 Aug 25, 2011 10:16 PM
I'm now on the Isotonic Indulgence pillow. If anyone wants to buy my Cloud pillow, let me know. Will ship in original box & plastic. Pillow itself was never laid on.
Reply #11 Aug 26, 2011 7:44 PM
quantumflux wrote:

I ordered the Z by Malouf 100% Natural Talalay Latex Zoned Pillow from amazon over a year ago and love it.    http://www.amazon.com/Malouf-Natural-Talalay-QUEEN-HIGH-LOFT-PLUSH/dp/B00382XCL6/

I bought 2 of those over a year ago, and the chemical smell is still there.  We just threw them out.  I would not recommend them.   I bought one from Custom Sleep Design that is made by Latex International and it had a slight cookie smell for about a day and was great afterwards.  It was a very pleasant smell anyway.  Big difference in the material.

This message was modified Aug 26, 2011 by Sall
Reply #12 Sep 2, 2011 5:39 PM
Has anyone tried the "ErgoSoft" latex pillow?

http://www.absolutecomfortonsale.com/latexpillow.htm

I emailed the vendor to ask whether the latex was Talalay or Dunlop processed; got a prompt response saying it's Dunlop. The website says 16-18 IFD; I wonder if that'll be too soft for me. I think I'm wanting a firm, low-loft pillow -- something I will *not* sink too deep into -- but I really don't know.

I have a latex pillow (bought cheap at Bed Bath & Beyond a couple years ago), but it doesn't get used, 'cause it's way too springy.

Also wondering about the "Nu-Lex Optimum Pillow" -- latex with wool batting & cotton cover:

http://www.foamsource.com/shop/product/64

Looks like a possibility.

This message was modified Sep 2, 2011 by Catherine
Reply #13 Sep 8, 2011 12:14 PM
looking4sleep99 wrote:

IN looking for beds i fell in love with the Tempur neck pillow.  It was like i would melt into the pillow and the bed and it was very comfortable in store.  I went ahead and bought one, but my bed will not arrive until next week so i have only slet on it for 2 nights on a s mattress.  It came a lot harder then the ones i used in the stores, but thats because its not broken in.  I think it will work better on my Tempur bed when i get that as well.  It's not bad and i wondn't say i wake with any neck pain.

There were 2 other pilliow's i  loved in the stores, one was a Tempur pillow, it was very granulated and now for the life of me i cannot find it anywhere.  It's become my mission to find it again, but i have had no luck to date.  The other pillow i really liked was a sealy Embody pillow.  It was very plush and it was nice in the store as well.  The embody pillow is not cheap so i have held off on getting it, maybe i will if i can't get comfortable on the new bed. 

Right, pillows are vital.

The best pillow I have ever head is a normal waist pillow. It is a major comfort factor to my home office. :)

Reply #14 Sep 8, 2011 1:57 PM
Has anyone seen this pillow? http://www.pillo1.com/

It's super pricey -- but I laid on one in a store when I was trying mattresses and thought it was really cool.

Recent Posts