A latex mattress co. I'd never heard of... Zero Gravity Bed....
Mar 2, 2008 10:57 PM
I just found this on the net:  www.zerogravitybed.com/index.php?action=item&id=2284

The only thing I am not sure of is this part:

"Modular Base Support Foam: 6.25" OrthoTex (tm) Latex base foam in a modular design offers superior support and comfort."

What the heck is "OrthoTex Latex" and how can they get a tm on latex?

But the general construction of the mattress looks pretty good, and they say they offer not only a 90 day return policy but also FREE SHIPPING FOR THE RETURN as well as free shipping to you. Hard to believe but if it's true, that's a pretty good deal.

Here's the make up of the bed:

"The Atlantis Mattress:

Made in the USA. Not your ordinary Latex Mattress.

• Mattress Thickness: 15"
  • Mattress Cover: 2" Natural Organic Quilted Cover.
  • Talalay Latex Layer: 3.5"
  • OrthoTex Layer: 2"
  • Modular Base Support Foam: 6.25" OrthoTex (tm) Latex base foam in a modular design offers superior support and comfort.
  • Modular Base Foam Border: Foam border offers added support around the edges of the mattress to ensure the edge of the bed will not wear down from sitting on it over time.
  • Zipper-Top Design: Allows for Comfort Exchanges. (See Features) "

Anyone heard of this company? If I was in the market for a modular part-latex mattress, I think I'd give this consideration... A little pricey but I their design makes some sense.

• Modular Base Support Foam: 6.25" OrthoTex (tm) Latex base foam in a modular design offers superior support and comfort.
  • Modular Base Foam Border: Foam border offers added support around the edges of the mattress to ensure the edge of the bed will not wear down from sitting on it over time.

Anyone heard of this company? If I was in the market for a modular part-latex mattress, I think I'd give this consideration... A little pricey but I their design makes some sense.

This message was modified Mar 2, 2008 by jimsocal
Re: A latex mattress co. I'd never heard of... Zero Gravity Bed....
Reply #1 Mar 4, 2008 8:10 AM
I just bought a mattress that was called a "zero gravity" bed.   I've only slept on it three nights so I won't review it yet.  It is made by Jamison and it is latex
Reply #2 Mar 4, 2008 8:38 AM
Jim--

The tm is on the name "OrthoTex Latex," which lets them call the PU foam base OrthoTex Latex base foam. Clever. (always watch out when you see "Latex" capitalized.

The interchangeable/modular base support system is what I was proposing a month or so ago so I like the idea. However, that 15" "latex" mattress has only 3.5" of latex. And while they call it 100% organic (which means nothing) the fine print says the process "starts with" 100% natural, which really only promises a blend (not that that's bad, but a bit of snake oil if that's the case). Of greatest concern would be the warranty:

"What is not covered:
Conditions arising from normal wear and tear. (Conditions arising from normal wear and tear include, but are not limited to, mattress cover compression, foam compression or discoloration of components."

In the end, sounds like all they are warranting is that top stitching won't fall apart (and if it does, they'll sew it).
Reply #3 Mar 7, 2008 12:32 AM
mccldwll wrote:
Jim--

The tm is on the name "OrthoTex Latex," which lets them call the PU foam base OrthoTex Latex base foam. Clever. (always watch out when you see "Latex" capitalized.

The interchangeable/modular base support system is what I was proposing a month or so ago so I like the idea. However, that 15" "latex" mattress has only 3.5" of latex. And while they call it 100% organic (which means nothing) the fine print says the process "starts with" 100% natural, which really only promises a blend (not that that's bad, but a bit of snake oil if that's the case). Of greatest concern would be the warranty:

"What is not covered:
Conditions arising from normal wear and tear. (Conditions arising from normal wear and tear include, but are not limited to, mattress cover compression, foam compression or discoloration of components."

In the end, sounds like all they are warranting is that top stitching won't fall apart (and if it does, they'll sew it).

Yeah, now that you point out that part about the "OrthoTex Latex" being PU foam, it sounds like quite a bit of snake oil.

Still, it isn't a bad design and for the money it might be a comfortable mattress.

As for warranties I don't have much faith in any mattress warranties, anyway.

Recent Posts