Latex Longevity
Jan 21, 2008 4:50 PM
My Girlfriend and I are currently looking to purchase a new mattress as our current one does not meet our needs at all. Neither of us feel well rested in the morning. It is a cheap mattress we bought while we were students, and now that we are both working full time we wanted to get a mattress that will last us for a while.
We are hesitant about buying a mattress that we can't try out before buying (flo or sleepez) but our biggest is concern is the durability of latex and its resistance to getting indentations. Mainly I was wondering if anyone who has had mattresses from either of these companies for 2+ years has had any trouble develop down the road!

Thanks
Re: Latex Longevity
Reply #7 Jan 28, 2008 1:35 PM
I have done a lot of research on Latex and found that 100% latex, Dunlap or Talalay are the only product that has an almost full guarantee on body impressions and product breakdown.  The problem is some of the websites state that their product are 100% only because they use 100% latex in them but the actual mattress is NOT all latex and is usually some combination of synthetic materials.  Like many sold in the stores are a combination therefore, they do allow body impressions

I am tired of body impression and coil erosion after only a short 5 years and will be purchasing all latex in a couple of days.  I have also determined that all this layering is unnecessary and pretty much a gimmick.  One soft layer is necessary if you want a Pillow top kind of fee, which we do so we are going with that.

Habitat Furnishings   http://www.habitatfutons.com/latex_mattress.html  has been spoke of often when recommendation is made and they have the best prices I have seen.

The best part of Habitat Furnishing is that they have a 180 days refund and return policy.  I think 6 months is a wonderful trial period.  They only ask for a small shipping fee on returns, $50 I think.

This message was modified Jan 28, 2008 by Dawn
Reply #8 Jan 28, 2008 2:05 PM
Dawn wrote:
I have done a lot of research on Latex and found that 100% latex, Dunlap or Talalay are the only product that has an almost full guarantee on body impressions and product breakdown.  The problem is some of the websites state that their product are 100% only because they use 100% latex in them but the actual mattress is NOT all latex and is usually some combination of synthetic materials.  Like many sold in the stores are a combination therefore, they do allow body impressions

I am tired of body impression and coil erosion after only a short 5 years and will be purchasing all latex in a couple of days.  I have also determined that all this layering is unnecessary and pretty much a gimmick.  One soft layer is necessary if you want a Pillow top kind of fee, which we do so we are going with that.

Habitat Furnishings   http://www.habitatfutons.com/latex_mattress.html  has been spoke of often when recommendation is made and they have the best prices I have seen.

The best part of Habitat Furnishing is that they have a 180 days refund and return policy.  I think 6 months is a wonderful trial period.  They only ask for a small shipping fee on returns, $50 I think.

Hi Dawn,

It is my understanding that there is another company that makes a  more 100% natural form of latex. Talalay is 100% latex but it's processed in a way that makes it not so "natural". The same with Dunlop if my memory is correct. Not that it's bad, mind you, in fact many do recommend it. But the more natural organic latex also lasts a very long time and has the advantage of having different ILD on both sides - i.e.; you can turn it over and get a different feel. Whereas Talalay is so uniform in manufacture that both sides feel exactly the same.

As to "not needing layers" and the layers being a "gimmick" I disagree. As to whether the layers are "necessary", that is up to you and how picky you are and whether or not you get the ILD right with your first decision. You might buy a 40ILD core and be perfectly happy with that, maybe just need a topper. Or you may find it too hard and have no way to "play with it" due to  not having layers. The idea of layers is to give you more options to adjust your mattress not only in the beginning, but also maybe later as you get older or have a car accident or whatever...

Again, not "necessary" in every case - maybe not in your case - but the layering DOES give you more options for adjustments. I have experimented with layers in both latex and latex + memory foam and HD Foam + memory foam + latex, and I can tell you that layers does make a big difference in getting a different feel. A small change in how the layers are used can make a big difference in comfort.

Just my 2 cents.

Reply #9 Jan 28, 2008 3:23 PM
It is my understanding that there is another company that makes a  more 100% natural form of latex. Talalay is 100% latex but it's processed in a way that makes it not so "natural". The same with Dunlop if my memory is correct. Not that it's bad, mind you, in fact many do recommend it. But the more natural organic latex also lasts a very long time and has the advantage of having different ILD on both sides - i.e.; you can turn it over and get a different feel. Whereas Talalay is so uniform in manufacture that both sides feel exactly the same.

Thank you for your reply.  This company is all 100% natural latex, nothing added - nothing synthetic added.  The difference between Dunlap and Talalay is the process used when making the Latex, which is pumping air into Talalaby to make it softer.  Both processes providing the materials is 100% natural with no synithetic additives like foam or mixture of different materials will last a lifetime.  But for this company both Dunlap or Talalay are truely 100% Natureal Latex.  I am going to order from Habitat, like I said, they are referred to in many review site as having the best all natural latex.  I will be getting the 6" core (Dunlap 25-26 ILD) and the Talalay topper (19-20 ILD)  (for that Pillow Top feel) but I have a 6 month trial, that is wonderful time period to decide if it works for me. 

According to anther forum many people say this company has the perfect combination pre-figured out.  I will let you know, can't wait for my new bed!!

This message was modified Jan 28, 2008 by Dawn
Reply #10 Jan 28, 2008 4:00 PM
"I have done a lot of research on Latex and found that 100% latex, Dunlap or Talalay are the only product that has an almost full guarantee on body impressions and product breakdown. "

Dawn--
This sounds a bit too much like an ad. It is also totally wrong. Dunlop in general tends to break down a bit more than talalay. Further, the highest quality 100% natural talay (such as Latex International's all natural Talatech) breaks down faster than standard talalay blend (such as Latex International's standard Talatech). That's why LI's all natural has a 15 year warranty compared to 20 for the blend. Spend some time on LI's website.
Reply #11 Jan 28, 2008 4:15 PM
Dawn--
I went to the site and found this statement:

"and since synthetic latex is stiffer, coarse in texture, not as soft and inviting, and does not have the antibacterial, antifungal, and hypoallergenic qualities that Natural Latex provides"

That's total b*llsh*t, as are some of the other statements. And the prices aren't that good. Generally figure $150/inch for king size latex ($1200 for 8"). Then a cover. Then shipping. There is no free lunch.
Reply #12 Jan 28, 2008 6:47 PM
I looked at the Habitat site when we were first looking at latex options. There are better places to get natural Dunlop mattresses. For those prices you could get a nicer cover, customizeable layers and/or choice of firmness. An ILD of 25-26 is quite soft - especially as a core under an even softer layer of Talalay. Softer latex will break down faster than firmer latex.
Reply #13 Jan 30, 2008 3:50 PM
I have checked out LI and their retailers don't seem very cheap?   As for the firmness I get to return it if I want for 6 months, but I am being told that it is a firm mattress.  And Habitat gets their Latex from LI.  I can't find any  cheaper anywhere with a 6 guarentee.
Reply #14 Jan 30, 2008 8:49 PM
"I have checked out LI and their retailers don't seem very cheap? And Habitat gets their Latex from LI." HUH?????????????????????

"As for the firmness I get to return it if I want for 6 months, but I am being told that it is a firm mattress. I can't find any cheaper anywhere with a 6 guarentee."

That's because no reputable merchant offers a 6 month guarantee. People should be extremely wary of any merchant offering a 6 month guarantee. If something seems too good to be true, it is. JMO

Anyone wanna buy a bridge?
Reply #15 Jan 30, 2008 9:09 PM
http://habitatfutons.com/latex_mattress.html

"high quality, all botanical, Sri Lankan latex"

"Our 6" 100% Natural Latex Mattress contains only pure Sri Lankan Botanical Latex with no synthetic, petroleum based urethane foam. "

The guy in the video makes a point of mentioning Sri Lankan latex. Most Dunlop is from South Asia. LI is an American company known for making Talalay latex - mostly blended with about 60% petroleum products - the kind this site claims are so bad.
Reply #16 Feb 4, 2008 3:31 AM
jimsocal wrote:
after having tried 2 mattresses that were natural (in stores) they seem to have a better feel to us, than the Talalay which we did not like

There is natural Talalay and blended Talalay.  Blended has a more uniform feel and is available a bit firmer than natural Talalay.  My wife and I have blended on the bottom and 2 natural above w/ a natural topper.

Recent Posts