Latex Longevity
Jan 21, 2008 4:50 PM
My Girlfriend and I are currently looking to purchase a new mattress as our current one does not meet our needs at all. Neither of us feel well rested in the morning. It is a cheap mattress we bought while we were students, and now that we are both working full time we wanted to get a mattress that will last us for a while.
We are hesitant about buying a mattress that we can't try out before buying (flo or sleepez) but our biggest is concern is the durability of latex and its resistance to getting indentations. Mainly I was wondering if anyone who has had mattresses from either of these companies for 2+ years has had any trouble develop down the road!

Thanks
Re: Latex Longevity
Reply #1 Jan 22, 2008 5:23 PM
Both companies use LI (Latex International) latex.  20 years is a safe bet on durability.  Latex doesn't indent.  There are latex mattresses from the mattress stores that have PU foam on top and that will of course indent; some mistakenly think it is latex but it is not.
This message was modified Jan 22, 2008 by D3Fi
Reply #2 Jan 23, 2008 4:56 AM
Latex is probably the most durable and long lasting bedding material available. However, if you poke around in the old forum you occasionally run across comments from people who have had sagging problems with very soft latex or with convoluted latex which is used in some of the Flobeds configurations. I would interpret very soft latex as being less than 20 ILD --which is itself so soft that I wouldn't recommend it for anything other than a topper of no more than 1.5".

SleepEZ and Flobeds both offer great products and fine customer service. But with SleepEz you get only one comfort exchange and are subject to a 15% restocking fee if you decide latex isn't for you. Since you are concerned about buying something you haven't tried I would recommend Flobeds, simply because their exchange and return policy is far more flexible than SleepEZ. Talalay latex has properties and characteristics that some people find difficult to adjust to or simply can't sleep on, so if you haven't had the opportunity to test drive an all-latex mattress from a local merchant, that might be another good reason to choose Flobeds.

Reply #3 Jan 23, 2008 8:48 AM
D3Fi wrote:
Both companies use LI (Latex International) latex. 

?

SleepEZ suppliers

Reply #4 Jan 27, 2008 12:41 AM
MequonJim wrote:

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply "exclusively" but still quality supppliers in any case.
Reply #5 Jan 27, 2008 5:45 AM
D3Fi wrote:
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply "exclusively" but still quality supppliers in any case.

SleepEZ blended latex was LI the last time I checked--the natural latex was not. If in doubt just ask Shawn who the supplier is.
Reply #6 Jan 27, 2008 11:49 PM
Many here are latex enthusiasts but my wife and I tried flo-beds 4 years ago and after trying various combinations and toppers we just plain did not like the feel of latex.

So I would highly recommend you buy from flo-beds who will take it back if you can't handle it. Yes, you'll be out some shipping costs but that is better than getting stuck with a mattress you don't like.

I would also recommend trying to find a company that has both a good exchange / return policy AND that carries the Natural latex because the Natural latex does feel different, and after having tried 2 mattresses that were natural (in stores) they seem to have a better feel to us, than the Talalay which we did not like. I'll never know if we'd have liked the natural latex if we'd have bought one, but I do know that I am anxious to try one again, now after having read more about it, and how both sides feel different. I wish flo-beds had natural latex, or that the other latex mattress company had a better exchange policy. I may just try to find a good price on a 5" natural latex core and try that.

Reply #7 Jan 28, 2008 1:35 PM
I have done a lot of research on Latex and found that 100% latex, Dunlap or Talalay are the only product that has an almost full guarantee on body impressions and product breakdown.  The problem is some of the websites state that their product are 100% only because they use 100% latex in them but the actual mattress is NOT all latex and is usually some combination of synthetic materials.  Like many sold in the stores are a combination therefore, they do allow body impressions

I am tired of body impression and coil erosion after only a short 5 years and will be purchasing all latex in a couple of days.  I have also determined that all this layering is unnecessary and pretty much a gimmick.  One soft layer is necessary if you want a Pillow top kind of fee, which we do so we are going with that.

Habitat Furnishings   http://www.habitatfutons.com/latex_mattress.html  has been spoke of often when recommendation is made and they have the best prices I have seen.

The best part of Habitat Furnishing is that they have a 180 days refund and return policy.  I think 6 months is a wonderful trial period.  They only ask for a small shipping fee on returns, $50 I think.

This message was modified Jan 28, 2008 by Dawn
Reply #8 Jan 28, 2008 2:05 PM
Dawn wrote:
I have done a lot of research on Latex and found that 100% latex, Dunlap or Talalay are the only product that has an almost full guarantee on body impressions and product breakdown.  The problem is some of the websites state that their product are 100% only because they use 100% latex in them but the actual mattress is NOT all latex and is usually some combination of synthetic materials.  Like many sold in the stores are a combination therefore, they do allow body impressions

I am tired of body impression and coil erosion after only a short 5 years and will be purchasing all latex in a couple of days.  I have also determined that all this layering is unnecessary and pretty much a gimmick.  One soft layer is necessary if you want a Pillow top kind of fee, which we do so we are going with that.

Habitat Furnishings   http://www.habitatfutons.com/latex_mattress.html  has been spoke of often when recommendation is made and they have the best prices I have seen.

The best part of Habitat Furnishing is that they have a 180 days refund and return policy.  I think 6 months is a wonderful trial period.  They only ask for a small shipping fee on returns, $50 I think.

Hi Dawn,

It is my understanding that there is another company that makes a  more 100% natural form of latex. Talalay is 100% latex but it's processed in a way that makes it not so "natural". The same with Dunlop if my memory is correct. Not that it's bad, mind you, in fact many do recommend it. But the more natural organic latex also lasts a very long time and has the advantage of having different ILD on both sides - i.e.; you can turn it over and get a different feel. Whereas Talalay is so uniform in manufacture that both sides feel exactly the same.

As to "not needing layers" and the layers being a "gimmick" I disagree. As to whether the layers are "necessary", that is up to you and how picky you are and whether or not you get the ILD right with your first decision. You might buy a 40ILD core and be perfectly happy with that, maybe just need a topper. Or you may find it too hard and have no way to "play with it" due to  not having layers. The idea of layers is to give you more options to adjust your mattress not only in the beginning, but also maybe later as you get older or have a car accident or whatever...

Again, not "necessary" in every case - maybe not in your case - but the layering DOES give you more options for adjustments. I have experimented with layers in both latex and latex + memory foam and HD Foam + memory foam + latex, and I can tell you that layers does make a big difference in getting a different feel. A small change in how the layers are used can make a big difference in comfort.

Just my 2 cents.

Reply #9 Jan 28, 2008 3:23 PM
It is my understanding that there is another company that makes a  more 100% natural form of latex. Talalay is 100% latex but it's processed in a way that makes it not so "natural". The same with Dunlop if my memory is correct. Not that it's bad, mind you, in fact many do recommend it. But the more natural organic latex also lasts a very long time and has the advantage of having different ILD on both sides - i.e.; you can turn it over and get a different feel. Whereas Talalay is so uniform in manufacture that both sides feel exactly the same.

Thank you for your reply.  This company is all 100% natural latex, nothing added - nothing synthetic added.  The difference between Dunlap and Talalay is the process used when making the Latex, which is pumping air into Talalaby to make it softer.  Both processes providing the materials is 100% natural with no synithetic additives like foam or mixture of different materials will last a lifetime.  But for this company both Dunlap or Talalay are truely 100% Natureal Latex.  I am going to order from Habitat, like I said, they are referred to in many review site as having the best all natural latex.  I will be getting the 6" core (Dunlap 25-26 ILD) and the Talalay topper (19-20 ILD)  (for that Pillow Top feel) but I have a 6 month trial, that is wonderful time period to decide if it works for me. 

According to anther forum many people say this company has the perfect combination pre-figured out.  I will let you know, can't wait for my new bed!!

This message was modified Jan 28, 2008 by Dawn
Reply #10 Jan 28, 2008 4:00 PM
"I have done a lot of research on Latex and found that 100% latex, Dunlap or Talalay are the only product that has an almost full guarantee on body impressions and product breakdown. "

Dawn--
This sounds a bit too much like an ad. It is also totally wrong. Dunlop in general tends to break down a bit more than talalay. Further, the highest quality 100% natural talay (such as Latex International's all natural Talatech) breaks down faster than standard talalay blend (such as Latex International's standard Talatech). That's why LI's all natural has a 15 year warranty compared to 20 for the blend. Spend some time on LI's website.

Recent Posts