Latex Help - absolutecomfortonsale
Mar 21, 2008 12:36 PM
I searched, and found there was one topic about this company, and their latex they sell, and the other thread doesn't have a "final ending" to it.

Here's a link to the website/company:

http://www.absolutecomfortonsale.com/latexfoam.htm

So, I did lots of homework before buying latex, and I have a good general idea about latex beds. I spent numerous hours in retail stores getting the feel for latex, knowing I am going to purchase online anyways, yet I failed, miserably, at fully comprehending what their (above) site said/offered. So after lots of online store price comparing, I decided to go with "absolutecomfortonsale", and I fell into the trap of "natural" latex, and I assumed that it was going to be premium quality latex, not a blend of Dunlop/Talalay or mixed with petroleum, because it says it does not contain synthetics. Upon further research from this message board, that might not be the case to this company. Well, my order has been shipped, despite me leaving a message the next day to cancel my order, as I wanted to do a little bit more comparison shopping. If I refuse the shipment, then they will charge me for shipping, so I might as well just keep it, and at least try it out, before sending it back for a refund.

This is why I assumed what I was ordering to be premium quality latex:

Made from 100% pure Natural White Latex...

Made of pure "green" (natural) latex...

...as they do not contain synthetic additives...

What I failed to read:

Even the popular Talalay Latex has a small percentage of synthetic latex to give manufacturers greater control over the feel of the finished product...

Which should mean it is NOT Talalay processed latex, and some other way processed. Dunlop or...??

I called them, and asked about the latex, the process(es) involved, what makes it "green", etc. only to confuse the poor "sales" lady. HOWEVER, she did mention that a chemical is used in the process that "evaporates", leaving behind a "natural" finished product. (whatever that means) She told me a gentlemen with better knowledge of the latex they sell will be in tomorrow, so I will be calling tomorrow to hopefully, get a better idea about this latex.

Sooo... I am asking for some more help.

What else should I know about the different processes involved, and ultimately, what should I ask/know to determine what type/kind of latex I actually ordered. Any pointers, suggestions, comments etc. are ALL welcome.

Thanks for your time,

-Nick

This message was modified Mar 21, 2008 by nlange21
Re: Latex Help - absolutecomfortonsale
Reply #1 Mar 22, 2008 11:57 PM
I found out a little bit more about the "latex" used, however I don't know what it really means in terms of quality.

"The ErgoSoft Latex foam we sell at Absolutecomfortonsale.com is 100% Natural Green Latex, and is NOT a mixture of synthetic foams – but it is definitely manufactured using the preferable Talalay process. The reason that consumers need to be aware of the fuzzy usage of the word Talalay is because numerous domestic manufacturers blend natural and synthetic components in an attempt to get the best qualities of both – and then fabricate foam from the mixture using the Talalay process. So, if you want natural, green, and eco-friendly latex products, make sure that you ask for them specifically."

I also spoke with the owner, and I asked what makes your latex "green", and he simply said NO synthetics or petro products are used at all in the process, and is completely organic. This gentlemen had a greater knowledge of his products, and apologized for the "answer" the sales women told me on Thursday. Since I don't know how latex is actually made, I just know of the Dunlop/Talalay process.

Is this "green" way of doing it, by using NO synthetics in the process even possible? In theory, should a "green" mattress be of the same quality, or higher than Talalay processed latex? I'm still trying to find out a little more about latex from you well informed folks here.

Thanks for looking, and have a safe Easter!

-Nick
Reply #2 Mar 23, 2008 12:00 AM
How about this statement I received:<BR><BR><BR>"Hello --<BR><BR>Natural latex and talalay latex are different compositions of various materials. Natural latex is 100% natural pure latex derived from the sap of South East Asian tropical rubber trees primarily grown in Sri Lanka. It is naturally hypoallergenic as well as dust mite and mold resistant. It is biodegradable and provides a pure green environmentally friendly sleeping surface.<BR><BR>Talalay latex actually refers to the Talalay process in which the natural latex is formed. Talalay latex uses certain chemical composites to form the foam which means that it is composed of a certain percentage of natural latex and a certain percentage of synthetic materials. The percentage of synthetic material contained in Talalay latex can be as high as 70%.<BR><BR>There is a demand for 100% natural latex because many people would prefer to sleep on a pure, non-synthetic, all natural sleep surface which is mold and allergy resistant. But natural latex tends to be quite hard and due to its natural properties has certain inconsistencies in quality. For this reason talalay latex was developed to create more consistency in the quality of the latex and to create latex of various hardness (or softness). Talalay latex comes in various comfort levels for those who prefer hard, medium and soft sleeping surfaces."<BR><BR><BR><BR>Your thoughts?? BS, or is it plausible?

BTW, the 4" "soft" (16-18 ILD) latex topper will be here Tuesday, so I'll post my thoughts, opinions on the bed itself, and my overall purchase from them.

-Nick
This message was modified Mar 23, 2008 by nlange21
Reply #3 Mar 23, 2008 1:26 AM
Nick, We are looking for your update.  Hope you love your topper.
Reply #4 Mar 23, 2008 12:58 PM
I also see a popular manufacturer here, SleepEZ has a choice of "100% Natural latex", or "Talalay blended latex".

So my question is, is "natural" latex any different than a "Talalay blended" latex? If so, how does it differ?

-Nick
Reply #5 Mar 23, 2008 5:24 PM
Nick, both Flobeds and SleepEZ have the choice of natural Tatalay Latex or blended Talalay Latex.  The processing is the same and the cleaning they do of the latex is amazing since the blended latex does not bother my allergies.  The blended is a combination of synthetic and natural latex from a rubber tree that they blend in a mixture with air and go through the same processing as the natural Talalay Latex.  The Natural Talalay Latex cores are 3" thick while the blended Talalay Latex Cores are 2.8" thick.   My Flobed latex kit mattress is a combination of both natural latex cores and blended latex cores. I tried to stay with all natural but I needed firmer than a 36 ILD and needed some 44 ILD latex cores to make my bed as firm as I like it so I had to get some blended latex cores that surprisingly do not bother my allergies.
This message was modified Mar 23, 2008 by Lynn2006
Reply #6 Mar 23, 2008 9:57 PM
Thank you for responding Lynn. I believe I need a softer bed, from what I've tried out, and I've tried, literally, tons of beds over the past week. With my pinched nerves in my back, after about 20 minutes on a softer bed, a small portion of my pain was relieved, while a firmer bed didn't help. So I ordered some 16-18 ILD latex, which will be here Tuesday. ALL the "soft" labeled latex beds I tried, were all extremely comfortable to me, and I am pretty sure my decision to go with a soft 4" piece will help. If not, I can just send it back, while I have a UPS business account with significant shipping discounts, so there's not much of a loss to send it back.

Just to make sure I totally understand, "natural" latex is made without chemicals or synthetics, while Talalay latex is likely to contain some sort of chemical and/or synthetic?

Thanks for your time,

-Nick
Reply #7 Mar 23, 2008 10:07 PM
If you're talking about the Talalay processed latex. There are two types. There is the 100% natural Talalay that is all latex from the rubber tree with no synthetic materials added. Then there is the blended Talalay, that is a blend of natural latex and synthetic latex. The blended is something like 60% synthetic and 40% natural.
Reply #8 Mar 23, 2008 11:11 PM
Nick, that is why I have a 1" very soft topper for my shoulders and neck area.  My lower back just likes a very firm bed.

I am sure the soft latex topper will help you. Please keep us updated.

Reply #9 Mar 24, 2008 3:48 AM
And, they call it Talatech. Actually it holds up very well.

susan wrote:
<div>If you're talking about the Talalay processed latex. There are two types. There is the 100% natural Talalay that is all latex from the rubber tree with no synthetic materials added. Then there is the blended Talalay, that is a blend of natural latex and synthetic latex. The blended is something like 60% synthetic and 40% natural.</div>
Reply #10 Mar 24, 2008 7:43 AM
"Talatech" is Latex International's trademarked name for all it's talalay, whether 30/70 or 100% natural.

Recent Posts