Just Ordered Sleepez 13,000
May 13, 2010 1:17 AM
I've been researching and reading posts on this forum for the past 2 months and finally decided to try the king size Sleepez 13,000 latex bed.  I kept comparing this bed to the beds offered by Flobeds but decided to go with Sleepez due to the price difference, no sales tax and no shipping fees.  I also took PLamarine's advice and ordered the organic cover for an extra $50.00.  I'm 5'8", 210lbs and ordered the XF,XF,F, Med for my side.  I told Shawn that I am a side/stomach sleeper and prefer a firm bed.  Hopefully this is not too firm but just right.  For my girlfriend's side, I ordered XF, F, Med, Soft as she is 5'5", 150lbs and is a side/back sleeper.  I also ordered the foundation for this bed.  I finally pulled the trigger and ordered this bed today because I was checking out the metal support frame under my current Serta bed when I noticed that one of the wooden support slats underneath the box spring on my side is cracked.  Hopefully the new bed comes soon and solves all my sleep discomforts.  I'm so excited and can't wait to get this bed.
This message was modified May 13, 2010 by sidesleepin
Re: Just Ordered Sleepez 13,000
Reply #18 Jun 24, 2010 8:35 PM
 Sounds like a zoned mattress would be best for you. Have other fourm members had similar problems? I've been lurking on this board for a while, gathering some great info about latex mattresses, I thought that I was ready to order one up but this post makes me a little nervous.
Reply #19 Jun 24, 2010 9:16 PM
Yes, a softer zone under your shoulders is the best solution.  I cut out a portion of my 32 ILD latex and put in a piece of around 19 ILD under my shoulders.  I have been happy with that.

I custom ordered a piece to the right size, but the quality was not as good as 100% natural talalay.  Still it works for me. 

I hate to suggest you buying one extra soft layer, cutting out about a 26" piece to put under your head and shoulders, but that would probably be your best solution.  You don't want to go too soft under the hips and cause back problems. 

I would probably stick with what works best for your back.  The latex can soften up a little over time, so maybe the shoulder area won't keep bothering you.  If it does, a zone is your best solution.

Reply #20 Jun 25, 2010 11:30 AM
I think sandman has a great idea.  Why don't you see if Shawn will sell you just a piece of S instead of the whole layer piece.  If you cut the medium layer in 2 pieces, and substitute the soft under the head and shoulders, and it doesn't help, you can always put back the medium piece.  I doubt you would feel the cut line and latex sticks to itself quite well.
Reply #21 Jun 25, 2010 12:14 PM
I've been lurking around this site for a couple of months now and I thank everyone for all the useful information. I've had a Flo Beds V Zone Blended for about a month. Generally am very happy with it but having a little trouble getting the zones just right. Right now I've got it M/F with the hip zones firm;  the problem is the shoulder area since I have arthritis and mild degenerative discs in my neck. I need to have my cervical spine straight but without a lot of pressure on my shoulders. The soft V zone feels great but seems to put my neck out of aligment. Possibly my pillow is too thick for this configuration.  So it might be just me, but it seems that having the zones go from firm to soft in critical areas could cause a problem for some people.  I've experimented by switching my husbands firmer layers for the medium which results in more shoulder pressure. I've not seen very many posts concerning neck issues as it seems to be less common than lower back pain.

Reply #22 Jun 25, 2010 2:28 PM
mcsweet, I would definitely re-examine the appropriate thickness of your pillow when you have the soft for your shoulders.  Your shoulders will be sinking in quite a bit and your head not so much, so the space in the crook of your neck will be less and partially filled by the latex of the mattress.  If your pillow is too thick, your head will be propped up.  Conversely, when your shoulders don't sink in very much, too thin a pillow will make your head too low.  Either situation will cause neck pain.  I always travel with my own down pillow because invariably hotel pillows are too thick for me and I can scrunch my down pillow into whatever thickness I need depending on the firmness of the bed.
Reply #23 Jun 25, 2010 4:08 PM
I agree with Diane.  It is probably the pillow thickness.  So, I would focus on that if everything else is fine. 

I like down pillows, and I have found a few ways to try to make to adjust the height.  I start with a pillow that is slightly too thin.  One method is too put a folded towel under the mattress pad.  I can adjust the number of folds or type of towel to help get the right  height.  

The second strategy, which I am now using, is I put the pillow in a pillow cover, and I use safety pins to make the pilllow cover 1-2" smaller (do this without the pillow in the cover).  So, when I put the pillow inside the slighlty smaller pillow cover, that plumps up the pillow a little bit.  So, by moving the safety pins in more (say 3" instead of 1"), the pillow becomes a little taller.   Then the pillow and pillow cover go in the pillow case.  I have played around with this until I have found the right height to sleep well without any neck pain.

I have a slight fear of one of the pins becoming undone, but it has never happened so far.  Plus the pins are on the end, not where my head goes.

Reply #24 Jun 25, 2010 4:21 PM
Ouch
I have to also mention the importance of your pillow in avoiding shoulder pain. If your neck is supported properly, your shoulder won't be pushing down as hard on the mattress. And, remember, it's your neck that needs to be supported by the pillow when you are sleeping on your side, as much as or more so than your head.
Reply #25 Jun 25, 2010 8:32 PM
Thanks for all your input. I agree about the  down--I have a collection of pillows, including Tempurpedic and latex, but I always go back to my down pillow. I should clarify, the neck pain is chronic; it didn't just start with the new bed. It gets better and then it gets worse. Oddly enough, it only hurts at night--as soon as I wake up and get vertical, it goes away. I think I'll try sleeping on the medium head and shoulder v zones and see if that helps.

Good idea, Sandman, about the safety pins. I've actually done something similar, only I just sewed the pillow shut a couple of inches from the side seam. Much better than paying $$$ for a super firm down pillow.

Reply #26 Jun 27, 2010 10:54 PM
Thanks Sandman and Diane.  That's a good idea.  I will be calling Shawn to see if he can provide me with just a piece of S layer so I can try zoning ot out.  I'll let you now how I make out.
Reply #27 Jun 27, 2010 11:16 PM
Yes, please keep us posted.  It is always beneficial to everyone to know what has/hasn't worked for others.

Recent Posts