Just Ordered Sleepez 13,000
May 13, 2010 1:17 AM
I've been researching and reading posts on this forum for the past 2 months and finally decided to try the king size Sleepez 13,000 latex bed.  I kept comparing this bed to the beds offered by Flobeds but decided to go with Sleepez due to the price difference, no sales tax and no shipping fees.  I also took PLamarine's advice and ordered the organic cover for an extra $50.00.  I'm 5'8", 210lbs and ordered the XF,XF,F, Med for my side.  I told Shawn that I am a side/stomach sleeper and prefer a firm bed.  Hopefully this is not too firm but just right.  For my girlfriend's side, I ordered XF, F, Med, Soft as she is 5'5", 150lbs and is a side/back sleeper.  I also ordered the foundation for this bed.  I finally pulled the trigger and ordered this bed today because I was checking out the metal support frame under my current Serta bed when I noticed that one of the wooden support slats underneath the box spring on my side is cracked.  Hopefully the new bed comes soon and solves all my sleep discomforts.  I'm so excited and can't wait to get this bed.
This message was modified May 13, 2010 by sidesleepin
Re: Just Ordered Sleepez 13,000
Reply #1 May 13, 2010 9:41 AM
I think for people who are not confused or easily upset by having too many options and are not indecisive, SLEEPEZ is the best option in terms of price and quality. Good luck and let us know how it works out.
Reply #2 May 13, 2010 10:42 AM
sidesleepin, I am excited for you about your new bed purchase. With so many layers, you will be sure to find the right combination and can even switch with your wife to find out what is right for both of you if you end up having to make an exchange. Please update us on the bed when it arrives and you have time to try it out. I feel the combination you chose for yourself sounds like you will be happy.  Also paying extra for the organic cover was a smart move in my opinion.
Reply #3 May 13, 2010 12:16 PM
While I like the idea of multiple layers, has anyone had any problem with the latex being so high and the stability of the bed that is 13 inches high?  There just didn't seem to be any reason to purchase more layers unless I was 400+ pounds as they would not be used after finding the right top two layers.  Also the fabirc case/shell that holdes the mattress deforms a lot as it is, let along making it larger.  To add to this the weight, a full king this size would be VERY heavy to move around unless broken down.  Is this just too much of a good thing?
Reply #4 May 13, 2010 1:33 PM
black88mx6 wrote:

While I like the idea of multiple layers, has anyone had any problem with the latex being so high and the stability of the bed that is 13 inches high?  There just didn't seem to be any reason to purchase more layers unless I was 400+ pounds as they would not be used after finding the right top two layers.  Also the fabirc case/shell that holdes the mattress deforms a lot as it is, let along making it larger.  To add to this the weight, a full king this size would be VERY heavy to move around unless broken down.  Is this just too much of a good thing?

I don't see a sability issue, if by stability you mean the bed tipping over.  You have a 6080 square inch base that is 13 inches high ----> pretty low center of gravity on a large mass foundation.

If you have a six in thick matress and when you lay on it, it deforms the case/shell by 4 inches, you have 66.67% compression.

If you have a 12 inch thick mattress made out of the same foam as the 6 inch thick mattress, you will still deform the case/shell by 4 inches, but it will only be 33.33% compression.  To maintain the same compression ratio in the 12 inch mattress, the foam would have to be twice as soft as the 6 inch mattress.

I think the intent of most of these multi-layered mattresses is that they are broken down when moved.

Whether you buy a 6, 8, 10, or 12 inch mattress, is up to you.  Is there really such thing as too much of a good thing?  smiley

Reply #5 May 13, 2010 1:41 PM
black88mx6 wrote:

OK, now I am confused.  You are questioning buying a 13 inch mattress and you just bought a 12 inch?

Reply #6 May 13, 2010 2:23 PM
laredo7mm wrote:

OK, now I am confused.  You are questioning buying a 13 inch mattress and you just bought a 12 inch?

Sure, why not.  I now have a 12 inch in my possession.  I have aligned the latex, moved the mattress, seen how it reacts to sleeping on it, and I question if the "extra" layers are worth it.   It seems like there is diminishing returns on getting "more".

In my case, an extra $200 gives extra height and the ability to have an extra layer than can be moved around to get the right fit.  What I suppose I didn't understand is that I could get the same bed by reducing 1 layer, and getting the order right the first time, or take more time swapping layers.  I am not convinced that the one or two extra layers give anything else in return.  I am not upset or confused, just some observations.  I didn't see any posts questioning the overall height of these things, and I think most would self justify it to them-selves after such a large purchase.

BTW, I think that both the SleepEZ and FloBeds product are excelent.  Can't wait to hear more from this threads author about how they like their bed.

This message was modified May 13, 2010 by black88mx6
Reply #7 May 13, 2010 6:01 PM
If I can put my two cents worth in here, YES, sometimes you need the extra thickness.   I started out with a "medium" 8 inch all latex (LI Talalay) mattress from a local dealer and found that I bottomed out when on my side or raising up my knees.   BTW, I am 5'10" and weight around 250 lbs.   I exchanged it for an "extra firm" and then added another 3 inches of medium on top of that  for a total of 11 inches.   VERY comfortable now and no bottoming out on the hard foundation below. 

I think anyone over 200 lbs NEEDS at least 10-12 inches of latex for proper support.   Especially if you want a top layer of medium or soft.

Mark

Reply #8 May 13, 2010 7:13 PM
Thanks for that reply Mark, exactly what we need to know when making these purchases.  I for one would not like the feeling of bottoming out.
Reply #9 May 13, 2010 8:40 PM
One reason that I ordered the 13000 model instead of the 10000 model was because I wanted an extra layer to be able to play with when it comes to adjusting firmness.  My thinking was that the extra layer would allow me more adjustability in the long run so I asked Shawn.  Shawn told me that I would only need the 10000 model but agreed that having the extra layer would provide me with more firmness options.  The second reason that I chose the 13000 model is because I wanted the overall height of the new bed to match the height of my bedroom furniture as well as the head/foot rails on my bed frame.  By going with the 13" mattress along with the 8" foundation, this bed should be just as high as my current bed so it should all fit well. 
Reply #10 May 14, 2010 12:44 AM
Congratulations, and it shouldn't doesn't hurt to go with the 13" mattress.  Besides most sheets today are for that size anyway.

Keep us posted on what works for you, and it is good to have all those layers to move around as you might need to.

Reply #11 May 20, 2010 8:04 PM
OK, I got my Sleepez 13000 mattress yesterday and spent about 3 hours removing my old Serta king size bed from the room, assembling the slatted foundation and finally putting the mattress together.  The wooden foundation came with all of the hardware including a nice ratcheted wrench to use to assemble the nuts and bolts.  As for the wooden foundation, it was really easy to assemble but did take some time and it did not seem to be EXTREMELY sturdy but should do the job.  Afterall, it is sitting on top of a sturdy metal frame with center supports and 6 legs so it should be fine.  Next, came lugging the heavy boxes containing 2 belended tallalay foam layers/box up to the second floor bedroom.  My least favorite job was opening the boxes, which were well packed and stapled together, and removing the dual layers of latex from the boxes.  Both of these layers were vacuum sealed in a black plastic bag, taped and stuffed inside another clear plastic bag.  Unpacking these boxes took some time and there was a lot of tape however, this goes to show how good of a job the company does packing their products.  Upon opening up the packages, the latex layers all appeared to be in excellent condition and of course, they gave off a latex smell once removed from the vacuum sealed bags.  Placing the organic mattress cover on the foundation and lining it up did not pose much of a problem since I rolled the corners down over the foundation to keep it in place once it was lined up correctly.  Next, I began placing the layers (8 total) inside the mattress cover before finally zipping it up with the nice organic cover (extra $50.00).  At first, I was worried that trying to zip the cover on would be a problem since the latex layers seemed to stack up higher than the zipper line however, it was no problem at all.  Tadaaa!  There it was, a regular looking mattress with a nice looking cover to go with it.  

First Night's Sleep:  As mentioned in cynicaljones' post regarding the Sleepez 10000, I did not feel as though I got a good night sleep even though I really liked how the mattress felt firmness wise.  I have XF/XF/F/M and when I layed on it, it felt good since I like a firm mattress.  My girlfriend's side is XF/F/M/S and I tried her side and felt that it was way to soft for me however, she loved it.  She had a great night's sleep on the new mattress and does not want to change anything at this point.  As far as my side goes, it just might be that I need some time adjusting from the old broken down Serta to the new mattress.  As I stated, I am a side/stomach sleeper and I used to toss and turn all night on the old mattress.  Even though I do not feel like I got a good night's sleep and I woke up a little sore this morning, I felt as though I tossed and turned less last night than I usually do.  I typically have lower back pain on a daily basis so my aches and pains this morning were nothing new to me.  Hopefully, a few more nights on this mattress will allow my body to get adjusted so that I can wake up feeling as good as my girlfriend did this morning.  Unfortunately, since she absolutely loves the feel of her side, she doesn't want me to take one of her softer layers from her side to try on my side.  If things don't improve for me, I might just have to do the old switcheru one day when she's not home and hope she doesn't notice :)  That way I can try to decide if I have to return one of my layers and what firmness I should replace it with.  Oh, by the way, my mattress cover also looks like cynicaljones' cover and not like PLamarine's.  Don't know why?

This message was modified May 20, 2010 by sidesleepin
Reply #12 May 23, 2010 12:59 PM
After 3 nights of sleeping on the XF/XF/F/M, I was still tossing and turning and felt that it might have been a bit too firm.  On her side, she liked the XF/F/M/S for the first night but woke up with some back pains yesterday morning so I used this opportunity to change out some layers.  I took her medium giving me XF/XF/M/M and gave her my firm layer giving her XF/F/F/S.  I slept well last night with this setup as it just softened my side enough while still leaving a firmer feel.  Her side did not work out as well and she thinks that she wants to go even softer than her first setup of XF/F/M/S.  I don't know what we will do yet but so far, I'm liking the 2 Med layers since I slept good and woke up without any back/shoulder pains.  Problem is, she wants her Med layer back now.  :(
Reply #13 May 23, 2010 1:15 PM
Why don't you find out how quickly Sleepez can send out a M layer?  That way, she could try out XF/M/M/S or F/M/M/S.  I would worry if she tried 2 S on top she would get into lower back pain territory.
Reply #14 May 23, 2010 8:27 PM
Thanks Diane.  I just called Shawn and explained the situation to him.  He then recommended sending me another M and S layer to try out.  He told me to keep the layers that I currently have for a few weeks and to use them to mix and match until we find what works best.  Once we do, we can just ship back the two layers that we don't want.  Shawn has been great to deal with so far and has been very helpful.
Reply #15 May 23, 2010 9:18 PM
Yes, one can't really complain about the service from either Shawn at Sleepez or Dave/Dewey at Flobeds!  Good luck.
Reply #16 Jun 1, 2010 11:16 PM
Just got the new S and M layers in today.  I set her side to F/M/S/S and she immediately thought it felt better.  We'll see after she sleeps on it tonight.  She likes the soft pillow top feel of inner spring mattresses so it might be just a matter of getting used to the new latex feel.  For my side, I had been sleeping on XF/XF/M/M which was good for my lower back however, I was experiencing some shoulder pain and didn't feel like my shoulders were able to sink in enough.  Using the new layers, I switched it to XF/F/M/M in order to see if this helps at all.  Just hope it's firm enough that I won't start getting my lower back pain back again.
Reply #17 Jun 22, 2010 12:03 AM
UPDATE

So far, I like this bed and it has greatly reduced my normal, every day body aches that I used to experience after waking up on my old Serta.  Right now, I have my side set to XF/F/M/M and her side is at F/M/S/S.  She likes this the best but I'm not sure about my side yet.  I've tried XF/F/M/S and XF/F/S/M by using one of her S layers but it made her side too firm for her using one of my M layers in place of one of her S layers.  Using XF/F/M/S was a bit too soft for me so I tried XF/F/S/M and it felt better.  The problem is, my lower back really likes XF/F/M/M but my shoulders felt better with XF/F/S/M.  Am I even supposed to put a S layer under a M layer?  Any suggestions on this?  Does anyone know if they make/can make a dual firmness layer for the upper/lower body?  I've already used my one free layer exchange and don't know yet if Shawn will even let me try another S layer.  I suppose I will have to call soon but I want to make sure that I know what firmness layer I want before I ask for it.  It's tough because when I try to use one of her S layers to compare, she is not comfortable so I have to give her S layer back which does not give me much time to really decide.

Reply #18 Jun 24, 2010 8:35 PM
 Sounds like a zoned mattress would be best for you. Have other fourm members had similar problems? I've been lurking on this board for a while, gathering some great info about latex mattresses, I thought that I was ready to order one up but this post makes me a little nervous.
Reply #19 Jun 24, 2010 9:16 PM
Yes, a softer zone under your shoulders is the best solution.  I cut out a portion of my 32 ILD latex and put in a piece of around 19 ILD under my shoulders.  I have been happy with that.

I custom ordered a piece to the right size, but the quality was not as good as 100% natural talalay.  Still it works for me. 

I hate to suggest you buying one extra soft layer, cutting out about a 26" piece to put under your head and shoulders, but that would probably be your best solution.  You don't want to go too soft under the hips and cause back problems. 

I would probably stick with what works best for your back.  The latex can soften up a little over time, so maybe the shoulder area won't keep bothering you.  If it does, a zone is your best solution.

Reply #20 Jun 25, 2010 11:30 AM
I think sandman has a great idea.  Why don't you see if Shawn will sell you just a piece of S instead of the whole layer piece.  If you cut the medium layer in 2 pieces, and substitute the soft under the head and shoulders, and it doesn't help, you can always put back the medium piece.  I doubt you would feel the cut line and latex sticks to itself quite well.
Reply #21 Jun 25, 2010 12:14 PM
I've been lurking around this site for a couple of months now and I thank everyone for all the useful information. I've had a Flo Beds V Zone Blended for about a month. Generally am very happy with it but having a little trouble getting the zones just right. Right now I've got it M/F with the hip zones firm;  the problem is the shoulder area since I have arthritis and mild degenerative discs in my neck. I need to have my cervical spine straight but without a lot of pressure on my shoulders. The soft V zone feels great but seems to put my neck out of aligment. Possibly my pillow is too thick for this configuration.  So it might be just me, but it seems that having the zones go from firm to soft in critical areas could cause a problem for some people.  I've experimented by switching my husbands firmer layers for the medium which results in more shoulder pressure. I've not seen very many posts concerning neck issues as it seems to be less common than lower back pain.

Reply #22 Jun 25, 2010 2:28 PM
mcsweet, I would definitely re-examine the appropriate thickness of your pillow when you have the soft for your shoulders.  Your shoulders will be sinking in quite a bit and your head not so much, so the space in the crook of your neck will be less and partially filled by the latex of the mattress.  If your pillow is too thick, your head will be propped up.  Conversely, when your shoulders don't sink in very much, too thin a pillow will make your head too low.  Either situation will cause neck pain.  I always travel with my own down pillow because invariably hotel pillows are too thick for me and I can scrunch my down pillow into whatever thickness I need depending on the firmness of the bed.
Reply #23 Jun 25, 2010 4:08 PM
I agree with Diane.  It is probably the pillow thickness.  So, I would focus on that if everything else is fine. 

I like down pillows, and I have found a few ways to try to make to adjust the height.  I start with a pillow that is slightly too thin.  One method is too put a folded towel under the mattress pad.  I can adjust the number of folds or type of towel to help get the right  height.  

The second strategy, which I am now using, is I put the pillow in a pillow cover, and I use safety pins to make the pilllow cover 1-2" smaller (do this without the pillow in the cover).  So, when I put the pillow inside the slighlty smaller pillow cover, that plumps up the pillow a little bit.  So, by moving the safety pins in more (say 3" instead of 1"), the pillow becomes a little taller.   Then the pillow and pillow cover go in the pillow case.  I have played around with this until I have found the right height to sleep well without any neck pain.

I have a slight fear of one of the pins becoming undone, but it has never happened so far.  Plus the pins are on the end, not where my head goes.

Reply #24 Jun 25, 2010 4:21 PM
Ouch
I have to also mention the importance of your pillow in avoiding shoulder pain. If your neck is supported properly, your shoulder won't be pushing down as hard on the mattress. And, remember, it's your neck that needs to be supported by the pillow when you are sleeping on your side, as much as or more so than your head.
Reply #25 Jun 25, 2010 8:32 PM
Thanks for all your input. I agree about the  down--I have a collection of pillows, including Tempurpedic and latex, but I always go back to my down pillow. I should clarify, the neck pain is chronic; it didn't just start with the new bed. It gets better and then it gets worse. Oddly enough, it only hurts at night--as soon as I wake up and get vertical, it goes away. I think I'll try sleeping on the medium head and shoulder v zones and see if that helps.

Good idea, Sandman, about the safety pins. I've actually done something similar, only I just sewed the pillow shut a couple of inches from the side seam. Much better than paying $$$ for a super firm down pillow.

Reply #26 Jun 27, 2010 10:54 PM
Thanks Sandman and Diane.  That's a good idea.  I will be calling Shawn to see if he can provide me with just a piece of S layer so I can try zoning ot out.  I'll let you now how I make out.
Reply #27 Jun 27, 2010 11:16 PM
Yes, please keep us posted.  It is always beneficial to everyone to know what has/hasn't worked for others.
Reply #28 Feb 19, 2011 3:34 PM
February 19, 2011

UPDATE:

I've had this bed for a while now and have been fairly pleased with it with a XF/F/M/S configuration.  The problem is, she is not having good luck with her side even after all of the different configurations that we've tried.  Her side is curently set to F/M/M/S and she wakes up in pain every day.  It's now getting to the point where she sleeps on the couch at times because it's so uncomfortable.  She's not sure what the problem is but from what I can tell, she's looking for a softer feeling on top and the S latex layer(s) aren't doing the job.  She keeps saying that she liked the feel of the old pillow top Serta that we had and that she also likes the feel of memory foam.  So.....I'm considering buying her a memory foam topper to try since it will provide less "push back" resistance.  Does anyone have any advice concerning this? The products I am currently looking at are:

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Comfort-Dreams-Sensus-1-inch-Memory-Foam-Mattress-Topper/3657733/product.html

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Slumber-Solutions-Highloft-Eco-2-inch-Memory-Foam-Mattress-Topper/4796652/product.html

http://www.healthyfoundations.com/toppers.html

http://www.foamorder.com/mattress_pads.html

I'm considering trying the 1" piece in a King size that way if it's not enough, I could cut it in half and make 2" out of it if need be.  She's 5'5" and about 140-150 lbs.  Please list any other products or options that may help.  Thank you!

Reply #29 Feb 19, 2011 4:35 PM
I purchased the 1 inch Sensus memory foam from Overstock for the exact same reason and have been quite happy with the results.  My top layer was 3 inches of "Medium" (24-28 ILD) talalay latex and I found the "push back" just a bit too much.  The 1 inch of memory foam provides a nice little cushion without sacrificing the support of the latex layer below.  YES, get the king size for the same price and you can add a 2nd inch if you need to.   Good luck.
Reply #30 Feb 19, 2011 8:50 PM
We have 1.5" of 14ILD Talatech Blended as our top layer.  It definitely gives the super soft pillow-top feel.  For two nights I even doubled it up for my wife to seep on 3" of 14ILD and I was on 2" of FBM 20ILD (Both had 3" of 28ILD Talatech under that).  My wife, 5'6 110lbs, thought it was heaven, and I couldn't take it anymore after the second night because of pressure points. 14ILD definitely makes a huge difference over 20ILD.  14 is 70% of 20, so 14 is 30% softer than 20.  Or you could look at it as 20 is 143% of 14, so 20 is 43% firmer than 14.  Either way it is significant.  And I would guess your "Soft" top layer is probably 22-24.

Also, Radium makes a 16ILD that you can get through SleepEZ if you ask for it.  And SLAB has a 15ILD Celsion that claims to be cooler if that is a concern.  I have a sheet directly over the 14 for now and I don't find it hot at all.

Reply #31 Feb 19, 2011 9:06 PM
Conservative wrote:

We have 1.5" of 14ILD Talatech Blended as our top layer.  It definitely gives the super soft pillow-top feel.  For two nights I even doubled it up for my wife to seep on 3" of 14ILD and I was on 2" of FBM 20ILD (Both had 3" of 28ILD Talatech under that).  My wife, 5'6 110lbs, thought it was heaven, and I couldn't take it anymore after the second night because of pressure points. 14ILD definitely makes a huge difference over 20ILD.  14 is 70% of 20, so 14 is 30% softer than 20.  Or you could look at it as 20 is 143% of 14, so 20 is 43% firmer than 14.  Either way it is significant.  And I would guess your "Soft" top layer is probably 22-24.

Also, Radium makes a 16ILD that you can get through SleepEZ if you ask for it.  And SLAB has a 15ILD Celsion that claims to be cooler if that is a concern.  I have a sheet directly over the 14 for now and I don't find it hot at all.

Conservative,

Can you tell me where you purchased the 1.5" 14ILD talatech from.  I am having a similar problem.  We have an 8" King from SleepEZ.  I like XF/M/S, but my wife can't sleep on it.  We have tried F/M/S and that is a little better for her, but not the most comfortable for me.  So I think we are going to end up with split layers, but we will still need something softer on top for her I think. 

Mike

Reply #32 Feb 20, 2011 10:09 AM
I actually bought a "2-inch" Pure Latex Bliss Topper from http://www.stlbeds.com/parts-accessories.html .  It comes with a really nice feeling cover, but I have removed it because I feel that it is a little too small for the latex inside it.  14 is pretty soft, so the "stronger" stretchable cover tries to turn a 59"x79" piece of LI Talatech into a 57 x 77" piece.  When I removed the Latex, I found that it measures 1-5/8" in thickness.  Mine is Queen and was $299 with no return policy.  At SLAB, you can get the exact same latex, but in 2" for $314 and have no cover, but have a return policy.  Or, you can call SleepEZ and "special order" a 1.5" piece for $178 or a 2" piece for $290 (for whatever reason, SleepEZ has a huge price jump at 2") and also have a return policy (although, I am not sure if it will apply to a "special order" foam).  SleepEZ can get both the 14ILD Talatech or the 16ILD Radium.  They just said that it would be faster to get the Radium right now because LI was in the middle of a move or something.

My wife now has a comfort layer that is a piece of 14ILD Talatech on top of a 1" piece of 16ILD Radium. So that is actually about 2-1/2" inches of "Ultra Plush" Talalay.  On my side, I have the 14ILD directly on top our 3" 28ILD Talatech.  For me,(5'11" 150lbs) that seems perfect.  I am comfortable on my side, back, and stomach.  It is tough to get me out of bed in the morning.  To balance our heights out, I have a 1" layer of FBM 20ILD under the 3" Talatech.

So, our 11" DIY mattress looks like this:

Her side:

1.5" 14ILD Talatech

1" 16ILD Radium

3" 28ILD Talatech (26" at head is 3-1" Layers of 22ILD Radium for shoulder)

5.5" Medium Dunlop Core

My side:

1.5" 14ILD Talatech

3" 28ILD Talatech (26" at head is 3-1" Layers of 22ILD Radium for shoulder)

1" 20ILD FBM (needed the height and feels better here for back/stomach than above the 3")

5.5" Medium Dunlop Core

If I make any changes at this point, it will be not because of comfort, but because of durability/longevity.  I am wrestling with going firmer on the core, but it feels right as it is.

Gary

Recent Posts