Intelli-Gel, CrossGel, FlexGel, Galastic, Intelli-Bed, MyComfort, GelTec
Sep 11, 2007 11:13 PM
Foam Nerd
All of these companies and brands are interrelated. The differences are more like two varieties of red or green apples rather than apples to oranges.

This is a composite of the following threads from the old forum. It might feel kind of jumbled, but we don't need two threads on Intelli-Gel.

Has anyone ever tried an Intelli-bed?

Intelli-Gel toppers

First, lets introduce the players:

Intelli-Bed and MyComfort are separate and distinct companies. Each sells a product they call Intelli-Gel, but they are not exactly the same. Both are manufactured under license from the same company (EdiZone) and they are more similar than they are different, but they are different products, manufactured by different companies. I will talk a lot more about these companies in subsequent posts.

GelTechnology is the company which manufactures the Intelli-Gel for Intelli-Bed. Their trade-names for the honeycomb material is CrossGel, and the gel-like rubber that it's made from, FlexGel. GelTec does not manufacture mattresses, but they do sell a CrossGel topper they call the GelBed Topper.

EdiZONE is "a developer of products and technology. Its business model is to conceive and patent unique and valuable technologies and product designs, develop them into prototype products, and then license them to a leader in the applicable marketplace." They invented Gelastic and Intelli-Gel and license these products to Intelli-Bed and MyComfort.

Not coincidentally, all four of these companies are based in Utah.

Intelli-Gel is protected by U.S. Patent
6,026,527 (and 5,749,111)  Gelatinous cushions with buckling columns.
Gelastic is covered by patent 5,994,450  
Gelatinous elastomer and methods of making and using the same and articles made therefrom.
Granted, I am a geek, but I found the 527 patent to be quite interesting and insightful.

Disclosure: I have an Intelli-Gel topper on order from MyComfort. I'm trying to keep my posts here informational and not a sales pitch, but anyone with any vested interest in a product cannot be totally objective about it. Just keep that in the back of your mind as you read my posts. I'm an Intelli-Gel fan boy. At least until I get the topper and actually sleep on it.
This message was modified Oct 30, 2007 by a moderator
What is Intelli-Gel?
Reply #1 Sep 12, 2007 12:11 AM
Foam Nerd
This page and this page describe the material and how it works.

How it works:

Intelli-Gel is made from hundreds of hollow columns of Gelastic, an ultra-soft, ultra-strong, solid rubbery material. These columns when joined together form a waffle-type pattern. Each column wall is shared by adjoining columns which work together to give you the right support and pressure relief.

But how does it do what other technologies can’t?  Intelli-Gel uses an engineered process called column buckling. Column buckling means that each column of Intelli-Gel will support a certain amount of weight. If the load gets too heavy for that column, it will buckle and not push back until the weight has been taken away.

In the recessed areas of your body (your back and side), there is not enough weight on any one column to cause buckling, so it stays firm on your back, but on areas that protrude (such as your hips and shoulders), the columns give way easily. When one column buckles it redistributes the load to the surrounding columns. If the pressure is still too high, those columns buckle and the load goes to the next wider ring of columns. It’s this concept that makes Intelli-Gel work so well. The pressure hot spots get a reduction in pressure which makes the low pressure areas get the additional pressure (support) that they need. Because each column is engineered to the human comfort threshold, it is self adjusting no matter your total weight or body shape.

My first hand knowledge at this point is limited to a visit to an Intelli-Bed store, but I am rather intrigued with the material. It feels soft, and yet firm at the same time. When I laid on my side, I didn't feel any pressure on my shoulder or hip. When I laid on my back, the surface felt very firm and supportive, and provided good lumbar support. My expectation is that it would sleep cool since the material is mostly empty space.
This message was modified Sep 12, 2007 by haysdb
Intelli-Bed
Reply #2 Sep 12, 2007 12:11 AM
Foam Nerd
Intelli-Bed came first. EdiZone partners (name) and Tony Pearce started Intelli-Bed in 199x (citation needed). They are a B&M company (no Internet sales) with stores, mostly company owned I believe, clustered around Utah (Arizona, Idaho, Colorado). They have extended their reach recently to Missouri (two stores in St. Louis) and Texas.

They offer 4 mattresses. Each uses the same Intelli-Gel as their top layer.

First is an entry level model with the Intelli-Gel bonded to a Polyurethane core. This is a thinnish and very firm feeling mattress, almost more like a really thick futon in feel. They don't actively promote this mattress, and in fact put in on the other side of the showroom from their three "orthodpedic" mattresses, but it's a good entry-level mattress if you like the feel of Intelli-Gel and like a firm mattress.

The next two models, starting at ~$3K for the mattress and foundation, are both based on an innerspring coil unit. The only difference is the step-up model has an extra layer of foam (polyurethane) between the Intelli-Gel and the coil unit so it's a bit more "plush."

The top-of-the-line, which will set you back a cool 4 grand, substitutes a latex core for the coils. It is the most plush of all, but I still found it supportive and I weigh 240 lbs. I tried to find out the ILD of the core, but they wouldn't tell me.
MyComfort
Reply #3 Sep 12, 2007 12:12 AM
Foam Nerd
Tony Pearce, initially a minority investor in Intelli-Bed, left and started MyComfort. They have some brick and morter stores, some of which were Intelli-Bed stores, but they also sell their product online.

MyComfort takes a novel approach to their "sleep systems," literally dividing them into a support layer and a separate comfort layer packaged as a topper. It's literally a two-part system. For support they offer a coil unit, air, and memory foam (with a PU core). Then they offer three versions of an Intelli-Gel "topper". One is a single layer of Intelli-Gel bonded to a thin layer of poly foam. Next up is the same thing but with a layer of latex under it. And then they have a double-decker model. Pick a topper and pick a support layer, and you have a mattress. Pricewise they will come in a bit cheaper than Intelli-Bed, for equivalent content.

What I particularly like about this is that you don't HAVE to buy both parts. I am buying one of their toppers and building my own "support mattress". Alternatively you could buy one of their support mattresses and supply your own comfort layers of latex or memory foam. It's a "component mattress" with just two components rather than being made up of several layers. It's just a different way to skin the cat. It's not totally unique in the industry as I have heard of some small businesses offering the pillowtop as a separate piece from the mattress, but I don't know of any other online company offering such two-part mattresses.
Re: MyComfort
Reply #4 Sep 12, 2007 12:57 AM
I'll just insert a link here to my "old forum" post our MyComfort store experience
(while I wait on your MyComfort details)
This message was modified Sep 12, 2007 by donw
Re: Intelli-Bed
Reply #5 Sep 12, 2007 2:29 AM
Foam Nerd
Thanks Don, for doing that. I wanted that to be part of this thread, I just hadn't gotten around to linking to it yet. Do you have your mattress yet? We're all expecting a "review" from you when you get it. I haven't heard a thing about my topper since I ordered it more than two weeks ago. Guess I need to be calling to find out what's going on.

There is more to tell, but this is a good start.
Re: Intelli-Gel, CrossGel, FlexGel, Galastic, Intelli-Bed, MyComfort, GelTec
Reply #6 Sep 12, 2007 9:57 AM
Still waiting. I'll definitely write a review. The salesman told us it would be 10 to 15 days after Labor Day because of the volume around that time.
Intelli-Gel topper from MyComfort
Reply #7 Sep 12, 2007 11:34 AM
Foam Nerd
My order got misplaced but my topper is now on it's way. I got a call from a freight company this morning saying it would be here this weekend and asking what day next week I wanted them to deliver it. I have a vehicle I can carry something like that in so I asked if I could come and pick it up on Monday. They said sure, but um, it weighs 250 lbs. What?!

I called the MyComfort facility in Salt Lake City and asked just what IS this thing on the truck? I was told it's 150 lbs of topper, with the strapping and packaging and the pallet and whatnot accounting for the rest. I'm going to have to see this to believe it. 150 lbs? Holy cow. Gelastic must be dense stuff.
This message was modified Sep 18, 2007 by haysdb
Reply #8 Sep 21, 2007 10:19 AM
I've been following this post from the beginning, from the old forum to this one. Did you get your topper after all??? Maybe you can post some comments on it. We are all looking forward to it! Thanks!
Intelli-Gel Single Comfort Overlay
Reply #9 Sep 21, 2007 12:19 PM
Foam Nerd
I took delivery of the MyComfort Intelli-Gel 'Single' topper last Monday. Unfortunately they shipped me a regular "Eastern King" rather than the California King I ordered, so a second topper is being shipped.

I have been sleeping on it. The current arrangement is:
  • Intelli-Gel 'Single' overlay
  • 5.6" Talatech latex core, ILD 38
  • Flexible slat foundation
The total height of foundation, mattress and topper is 16.5" to the top surface of the stretch knit ticking. This simple and yet "high tech" arrangement sleeps very well. It feels very soft and supple, and yet supportive. One of the characteristics of Intelli-Gel, and the reason I decided to use it as the centerpiece of my mattress, is that it has a unique capability to feel supple and yet supportive at the same time. It has a very firm "surface" feel (I'd say it feels very nearly as firm as the ILD 38 latex),  but once compressed to the point where the gel columns start to collapse, it gets softer. It would be fascinating to know what the 25% and 65% IFD of this stuff is. I would almost be willing to bet that the 65% IFD is lower than the 25% IFD. If you spread the load evenly over the surface, such as if you are laying flat on your back, it feels firm. As soon as you point load one small area, it collapses under that area. It collapses in a progressive way rather than all at once since each column is connected to 8 other columns, but the point is it doesn't get firmer and firmer as it's compressed, but starts out firm but with the ability to be less firm in localized areas. There is no other bedding material with these properties.

Let's take a look inside:

• The ticking is very soft to the touch. It's a nice cover.
  • The "high-density foam sitting edges" surround the Intell-Gel on all sides - 12" at head and foot, and 8" on each side. 16" of the width and 24" of the length are polyurethane foam rather than Intelli-Gel. In practice, you don't feel where the Intelli-Gel ends and the foam starts. The sitting edges are glued to the same 1" support foam as the Intelli-Gel. The company refers to it as "high density" foam, which implies 1.8 to 2.2 lb density. I'm guessing because I asked and they won't tell me.
  • The bottom surface of the overlay is described as "ultra-skid-proof" and it is. Lay this on top of a mattress and it's not going anywhere. It serves the dual purpose of preventing the Intelli-Gel from shifting inside the cover.  What concerns me is that it's vinyl. Waterproof and air-tight plastic. I asked the manager of one of the MyComfort stores if anyone has ever complained of the overly being "sweaty" and he he was emphatic - "No, never."
This message was modified Sep 29, 2007 by haysdb
Reply #10 Sep 29, 2007 6:09 PM
Well, Wednesday came and went, so I called the MyComfort store, and they said that their shipping truck damaged almost an entire load. They reordered our bed, and it should be here this coming Wednesday.
Re: PocketGel mattress
Reply #11 Sep 29, 2007 6:25 PM
Foam Nerd
Don, I really think you are going to like your new mattress. I have been trying to find out what the IFD of the polyurethane core on that mattress is, without success. It's more curiosity than anything, my curiosity being how it relates to what I'm using as my support layers. I would especially like to know if they go all the way up to the Intelli-Gel with the same support foam, or whether there is a softer layer of foam at the top and if so, what is it and how thick.

I feel like the Intelli-Gel laying right on top of the ILD 38 latex may be just a bit too firm. I ordered a 2" latex "topper" in ILD 32 today to put right under the Intelli-Gel.  MyComfort sells an Intelli-Gel topper with 2.8" of latex. I have asked what the ILD of the latex is in that topper but I haven't gotten an answer. I don't blame them. They get an extra thousand dollars for that 2.8" of latex when you buy it from them.

I am anxious to hear your take, and for there to be a second opinion about it. I never know that I might just be totally weird and like something that nobody else will.
Reply #12 Sep 29, 2007 7:19 PM
haysdb, their latex is 19 ILD. If you remember in my post about our store experience, the salesman called the factory for us to find out the ILD. Sure is soft - too soft, in fact. I can hardly wait. I want my bed!
Reply #13 Sep 29, 2007 7:38 PM
Foam Nerd
The latex in their Intelli-Gel with Latex topper is a 19? Wow, that really seems bizarre. Not so much if it were thinner, but 2.8" of 19?

This message was modified Sep 29, 2007 by haysdb
Reply #14 Oct 1, 2007 9:14 PM
Foam Nerd
I stopped by the other Intelli-Bed store in St Louis after work and managed to sweet-talk a seat cushion out of the salesman. There was a little miniature sample of Intelli-Gel laying on one of the mattresses and I asked if that was the stuff the seat cushions were made out of. He said no but would I like a seat cushion? "Sure." So he went to the back and brought out a seat cushion like what MyComfort sells for $79.99 and handed it to me. It says NOT FOR RESALE on the cover, so I guess it's a promotional item. Darn nice for a freebie.

Here I have been BEGGING for a sample of Intelli-Gel for a month, and I finally have one. The seat cushion gel is 1.25" thick vs. 1.75" for the gel in the Intelli-Bed mattresses, but appears to otherwise be the same. I suspect the cushion walls are a bit thicker since with a seat cushion there is a lot of weight on a small area.

Gelastic, the gel-like rubber that Intelli-Gel is made of, is sturdy stuff. When I pulled the cushion out of the zippered fabric case, there was a little "noodle" of the Gelastic material that fell free, a little less than 1" long and just bigger in diameter than a standard round  toothpick. I can stretch this little noodle out to a length of 8" (more than 8 times it's length), at which point it's barely thicker than dental floss. Rather than breaking it slips out of my fingers - I cannot hold onto it tight enough to pull it apart. Very elastic and very strong.

If MyComfort makes good on their promise to send a seat cushion along with my Cal King topper, I will have one of each version of Intelli-Gel and so will be able to compare the two materials head-to-head.
This message was modified Oct 2, 2007 by haysdb
Reply #15 Oct 2, 2007 4:26 PM
Foam Nerd
The 2.8" of latex in the MyComfort Intelli-Gel with latex overlay is in fact ILD 19 as reported. That's intestesting. 2.25" Intelli-Gel over 1" polyurethane over 2.8" of ILD 19. That's over 6" of "comfort layer".

On a purely personal note, if I find the 2" of ILD 32 to be too firm, I will have to drop all the way to a 24 or even softer because I don't know of anyone who offers a latex topper in an ILD between 32 and 24. I guess maybe I shouldn't be so worried about that being too soft.

Reply #16 Oct 9, 2007 3:48 AM
Foam Nerd
I finally got a sample of Intelli-Gel from MyComfort. Turns out they've had a problem with their website and were not getting emails. The samples are 2.5"x2.5"x5/8" thick. They aren't samples of any particular product but rather are designed to demonstrate the properties of Intelli-Gel. They are virtually identical to what I saw at an Intelli-Bed store. The sample came with a 4-page Ink-jet printout describing the material.

I have been sleeping on my Intelli-Gel topper now for 2 weeks and I still really like it. It definitely needs something softer underneath than what I have now (ILD 38 latex) for side-sleeping, but I'm working on that.
Reply #17 Oct 9, 2007 2:10 PM
We finally received our MyComfort Pocket Gel bed yesterday (after waiting 5 weeks) and slept on it last night. I have to agree with you, haysdb, it was too firm. My back ached and I spent the night waking up periodically, trying to find a comfortable position. I am primarily a side sleeper, but some back. Oddly, I also felt like I was trying to dig my buttocks out of a hole. I know, that's the collapsing columns doing their job, but I'm not sure it helped my back. I should also point out that I have an old back injury. My wife slept great,although I saw her in the middle of the bed (the non-gel part of the pocket bed) some of the night. Tonight, I'm going to try adding a very soft 2" PU egg crate topper that I have. This topper varies from 2" thickness at the peaks to 1/2" at the troughs and is very soft. Before we junked our old bed, I tried this on top of it, but it conformed to the body imprints and the "hammock" of my old bed.
Reply #18 Oct 9, 2007 5:51 PM
Foam Nerd
I have a hunch that adding anything on top of the Intelli-Gel could actually make it feel MORE firm. Anything on top will serve to distribute the load and prevent the Intelli-Gel from collapsing under your pressure points.

The mattress itself will not  "break in" but do give your body a few nights to adjust to the new sleep surface. Something I felt the first nights was that areas of my body that had not been supporting any weight were now supporting some and I awoke with some minor aches in a few areas.
Reply #19 Oct 9, 2007 6:42 PM
Maybe you're right - I could get used to it. But I don't think I should have to get used to a bed. Recently, I slept on a hotel's bed that was heavenly. It was a plush, but not pillow top. I didn't check the manufacturer, but probably one of the S-brands. Of course, it probably had PU foam on top, which wouldn't last long. Well, if I do go the PU topper route, at least it's cheap to change out every few years.
Reply #20 Oct 9, 2007 7:13 PM
Foam Nerd
donw wrote:
Maybe you're right - I could get used to it. But I don't think I should have to get used to a bed.

I don't disagree with you, but Intelli-Gel is "a horse of a different color." I'm just saying to keep an open mind for a few nights. It's unfortunate that you don't have the option to try different layers under the Intelli-Gel. My own experience is that it does a great job of pressure point reduction, but needs something "conforming" below it for side-sleepers. In your case that should be the individually pocketed coils.
Reply #21 Oct 10, 2007 2:55 PM
Well, I slept with the eggcrate topper over the Pocket Gel last night, and I think it helped. The whole mattress generally felt softer, and I do not think it interfered with the Gel buckling - it is so soft that it just followed the gel. I did sleep better, although I had to turn ever so often. I still think there is a spine alignment problem with my hips sinking in so far, so tonight, I'm going to try placing a 1/2" thick book under the mattress right at my hips. This should bring my hips up a bit. I may have to borrow your title and call this "frankenbed II".
Reply #22 Oct 10, 2007 9:40 PM
Foam Nerd
My replacement topper is being delivered tomorrow.

One of the quirky things with this topper is that the quilted top gets a big ridge down through it. This seems to be an artifact of the quilted top as there is no ridge in the Intelli-Gel. It takes some coaxing to get it to disappear. Since I seem to sleep in the same spot all the time, I wonder if this isn't a sort of "body impression" in the quilted top, which is 1" of PU foam quilted inside a stretch knit material.

Edit: I just want to add something here that doesn't deserve a separate post, but I'd like it to be part of the knowledge base. I had asked Devin, the Warehouse Manager for MyComfort, awhile back whose memory foam they used in their memory foam mattress. When I called him this week to pester him about my free seat cushion, he told me it's Foamex memory foam. He didn't know exactly what, but unless it's something from one of Foamex' subsidiaries, like Premier Foam, it can only be Sensus if it's 5 lb foam.
This message was modified Oct 20, 2007 by haysdb
Reply #23 Oct 23, 2007 11:35 AM
Foam Nerd
I am having an issue with my Intelli-Gel overlay that is completely unexpected. I am sleeping hot. I bought a down comforter a short time back and thought it was just that being too warm. It really was too warm so I bought a lighter weight comforter and a light weight duvet cover. It has still been too warm, but after spending a lot of money of down comforters and duvet covers, I wanted to sleep with one damnit! Besides, I thought it would surely cool off any day now. Heck, we've had snow on Halloween in years past and this year it's been in the 80's.

So last night it cools off (40's), and I'm looking forward to snuggling under my down comforter. I changed positions throughout the night, seeking out the cool sheets. When I awoke this morning I lay there wondering why I was so hot, because the room air was cool, and I was sleeping under only the lightweight down comforter with a simple sheeting duvet cover. Nothing else, just the comforter. I came to the conclusion that I was hot on the bottom, not the top.

What I expected was that the Intelli-Gel would not be hot to sleep on. With all that airspace, how could it be? When I asked someone at MyComfort if anyone had ever complained of their overlays sleeping hot, I was told "No, never." So I have refused to believe it, but what else could it be? Under me, between myself and the overlay is a fitted sheet and nothing else. No mattress pad, no mattress protector.

I have a theory. The Gelastic, the elastic rubber material that Intelli-Gel is made of, would itself be a good insulator. The column walls are not air permeable, so if the columns are sealed at the top and bottom, the air inside will be trapped and would gradually heat up. On top of the Intelli-Gel is a thin quilted ticking - 1" or less of Urethane foam quilted into a stretch knit fabric. Below is another thin layer of foam, less than 1" thick. Under that is the bottom cover of the overlay, which is vinyl. My theory is that the air in the columns is trapped between the body and the vinyl, the air heats up from body heat, and has nowhere to go. Under the pressure points the columns collapse, creating even smaller airspaces.

This could be a totally whacked out theory, but I AM sleeping hot, and there is no denying that. I am open to alternative explanations.

I will have updates on this as my experimentation continues.
Reply #24 Oct 23, 2007 1:24 PM
Are you sure it's not your down comf? Down traps heat so well, that I can not use it on top of me unless it's freezing (camping sleeping bag.) Neither my wife nor I have experienced heat build up with the gel. Granted, I only spent one night without a topper between me and it, but my wife slept directly on it for weeks.
Reply #25 Oct 23, 2007 2:17 PM
haysdb wrote:
I have a theory. The Gelastic, the elastic rubber material that Intelli-Gel is made of, would itself be a good insulator. The column walls are not air permeable, so if the columns are sealed at the top and bottom, the air inside will be trapped and would gradually heat up.

Very plausable, since the material is probably some variation of silicone gel.  One example of the insulating properties is cookware.  For those curious, there is a $20 gel cushion in most Wal-Mart automotive departments.

Reply #26 Oct 23, 2007 3:53 PM
Well, I think I figured out what is wrong with our pocket gel bed. It is a spine alignment problem. At first, I thought it was needing more lower back support, but that is not it. I really need my shoulders to sink in more. My lower arm tends to fall asleep if I keep my shoulders aligned at a 90 degree to the bed. So I find myself shifting my shoulder alignment so that my bottom shoulder is more in front, so my arm does not fall asleep. When I do this, my lower back is twisted some what, and aches. Last night I forced myself to sleep on my arm so that my shoulders were aligned (and of course it fell asleep, and I had to keep turning.) But my back felt great, though. I am now looking for some topper that will allow my shoulder to sink in a little more (in relation to the rest of my body.) Maybe what I really need is some sort of zoned softness, and that will be impossible with the pocket gel.
Reply #27 Oct 23, 2007 6:49 PM
Foam Nerd
sager66 wrote:
For those curious, there is a $20 gel cushion in most Wal-Mart automotive departments.

This looks just like the cushion I was given at an Intelli-Bed store. Dollars to dougnuts it's made by Gel-Technology.

donw wrote:

Are you sure it's not your down comf? Down traps heat so well, that I can not use it on top of me unless it's freezing (camping sleeping bag.) Neither my wife nor I have experienced heat build up with the gel. Granted, I only spent one night without a topper between me and it, but my wife slept directly on it for weeks.

No, I'm not certain. It's possible. But if true, I'll never get to use the 'Avernue' down comforter I bought first if even the light weight one is too warm even on a cool night.

I don't remember having the urge to throw off the covers last night, but only to move to a cooler part of the mattress.

donw wrote:

I really need my shoulders to sink in more. My lower arm tends to fall asleep if I keep my shoulders aligned at a 90 degree to the bed. So I find myself shifting my shoulder alignment so that my bottom shoulder is more in front, so my arm does not fall asleep. When I do this, my lower back is twisted some what, and aches.

I'm having that problem too, but I don't have anything soft under the Intelli-Gel. I was all gung-ho on making sure I got my support right, and now I'm progressively softening the top layers. I have an inch of ILD 20 latex arriving tomorrow. That's not much, but I didn't want to overshoot, so I decided to start with 1" and go from there.

This message was modified Oct 23, 2007 by haysdb
Reply #28 Oct 24, 2007 9:17 AM
donw wrote:
Well, I think I figured out what is wrong with our pocket gel bed. It is a spine alignment problem. At first, I thought it was needing more lower back support, but that is not it. I really need my shoulders to sink in more. My lower arm tends to fall asleep if I keep my shoulders aligned at a 90 degree to the bed. So I find myself shifting my shoulder alignment so that my bottom shoulder is more in front, so my arm does not fall asleep. When I do this, my lower back is twisted some what, and aches. Last night I forced myself to sleep on my arm so that my shoulders were aligned (and of course it fell asleep, and I had to keep turning.) But my back felt great, though. I am now looking for some topper that will allow my shoulder to sink in a little more (in relation to the rest of my body.) Maybe what I really need is some sort of zoned softness, and that will be impossible with the pocket gel.

Not sure if accessible through archives but I experimented with layering latex (eee"Mad Scientist" thread). What I discovered is that for me at least, standard latex configurations (such as 28/36/44) allowed hips to collapse too much during night when side sleeping. Worse if softer, and shoulder hurt if too firm). Through folding/surface manipulations, determined that if want spine to stay parallel to floor, needed very firm hip support (36/44/44) and very soft shoulder (chest to head) support/comfort (maybe 24/24/24). Each person varies of course, but grabbing a few scales for knee, hip and shoulder regions will give you a rough idea of what might be needed for a side sleeper. I put the project on hold since good quality adhesive has to be used outdoors or with a qigh quality ventilation system, but may return to it in near future. My point is that zoning in the topper alone may soften things a bit, but you'll still get hip kinking unless you zone deeper due to differential weight distribution/point loading. JMO
Reply #29 Oct 24, 2007 11:27 AM
Foam Nerd
I agree that zoning on the top would be less satisfactory than zoning in the support layers.

Dewey at FloBeds told me they are experimenting with a new system that would allow the user to configure the zoned layer, independently for left and right. He said they were doing more custom zoned layers than he ever thought they would, so it just seemed like a natural evolution of what they are doing now. I do not know how many zones or how the pieces are kept in place.

I have come across quite a few patents concerning different ways of zoning, so there is definitely some interest, it's just a matter of coming up with a workable system.

A flexible slat mattress can firm up some areas relative to others, and therefore provide some zoning. I felt like my ILD 38 core was not supportive enough and yet it was very firm, just as mccldwll describes, so going even more firm for the hips meant making the situation even worse for my shoulders. With the flexible slat foundation, I'm getting the support I need and think I could keep just the bottom layer at ILD 38 and go softer the next layer up, and still not bottom out. I will have the ability to try 38 32 20 (3", 3", 1") under my Intelli-Gel overlay when my toppers arrive from FoamByMail, hopefully today.
This message was modified Oct 24, 2007 by haysdb
Reply #30 Sep 19, 2011 11:58 AM
donw wrote:

My wife and I have the same problem. We have a nexgel bed and we wake up every morning with back aches. We don't weigh that much. Our hips sink too much on the bed. This hurts more when sleeping on our sides. Our hips sink more than the shoulders or feet putting our body out of alignment. We are looking for another bed now. We toss and turn all night long. Our 10 year old bed is more conforatble than this nexgel bed. I would advise not to buy a nexgel bed.

Reply #31 Nov 11, 2011 2:52 PM
This review seems incredibly defensive and I would have to question the validity it is made by someone outside of the intellibed company itself.  Why would it be hard for anyone to believe that someone could be unhappy with a product just because they themselves had success with it. To assume that every negative review on the product has to be a competitor and/or someone that purchased a knock-off product is simply paranoia. 

I have had customers purchase legitimate intellibed mattresses and be less than satisfied with the product and ultimately come and buy something else from us.  Does this mean that intellibed is a bad product? No.  Just means it wasn't perhaps the right product for that person....there is no such thing as a perfect mattress because every person has different criteria.  Take any product that is proven to be among the best in the world and you will find a poor review for it.  I have seen pictures of a man in China setting fire to his Lamborghini because he was not happy with the service he was getting.  

Reply #32 Nov 16, 2011 11:28 AM
We bought a gel mattress (My Comfort) from a store in Mesa, Arizona about 4 years ago. What a terrible mistake! The gel has softened and broken down on both sides of the bed (we are not obese) and we now sleep in "sink holes". We both have sore backs and hips because the bed no longer supports our bodies! When we called the store, we found they had gone out of business. We then called a store in Utah that still sold the mattress and they said it would cost us $500.00 to ship it to them and then if they didn't agree that the sinkage was severe, they would charge us another $500.00 to ship it back to us! What a scam! These mattress warranties are a joke! Whatever you do, do NOT buy a gel bed!  We paid $4000.00 and now we have to go out and buy a inner-spring mattress to replace it.  We are so sad! 
Reply #33 Nov 16, 2011 11:30 AM
Markan wrote:

We bought a gel mattress (My Comfort) from a store in Mesa, Arizona about 4 years ago. What a terrible mistake! The gel has softened and broken down on both sides of the bed (we are not obese) and we now sleep in "sink holes". We both have sore backs and hips because the bed no longer supports our bodies! When we called the store, we found they had gone out of business. We then called a store in Utah that still sold the mattress and they said it would cost us $500.00 to ship it to them and then if they didn't agree that the sinkage was severe, they would charge us another $500.00 to ship it back to us! What a scam! These mattress warranties are a joke! Whatever you do, do NOT buy a gel bed!  We paid $4000.00 and now we have to go out and buy a inner-spring mattress to replace it.  We are so sad! 

Reply #34 Nov 16, 2011 5:20 PM
Markan wrote:

Just curious...did the gel layer (2")  break down or was it the supporting mattress layers?

This message was modified Nov 16, 2011 by simplemind

Recent Posts