How do Talalay, Dunlop, and all natural latex differ in feel?
Jan 28, 2008 11:21 PM
I've been reading all of the recent posts discussing Dunlop vs. Talalay but I still don't have a handle on how different they (especially all-natural latex) actually FEEL from one another. I'm looking for a 2 inch latex topper and definitely don't want something "bouncy" or "jiggly". I like the feel of medium soft PU foam, but it doesn't last very long. Do any of these types of latex come closer to that feel (not too springy, not too "pudding-y" like memory foam). Does 100% natural latex (either Talalay or Dunlop) have less spring-back than the blended types? It seems that some of you have checked out all types of latex and can perhaps enlighten me on this.
Re: How do Talalay, Dunlop, and all natural latex differ in feel?
Reply #9 Jan 30, 2008 11:09 PM
For a topper, a super low ILD (super soft) Talalay is probably your best bet.
As a mattress I hated Talalay, it "pushes back" against my back and my back hated it.
Dunlop does not push back and I plan to buy some to try it over my Sealy springs.

However, a super soft Talalay does not push back as much and even I can tolerate it in a low ILD.
So I would say go for either type of Talalay as a topper (2" or less).
Reply #10 Jan 30, 2008 11:38 PM
jimsocal wrote:
However, a super soft Talalay does not push back as much and even I can tolerate it in a low ILD.

So, how low was that?
Reply #11 Jan 31, 2008 1:37 AM
I have about 3 of those soft talalay latex toppers from Overstock.com. I found them to be a bit too soft for my back, unfortunately. I put one on my 15 year old daughter's rock-hard bed under a fiber bed. She really likes the feel.

jimsocal wrote:
For a topper, a super low ILD (super soft) Talalay is probably your best bet.<BR>As a mattress I hated Talalay, it &quot;pushes back&quot; against my back and my back hated it.<BR>Dunlop does not push back and I plan to buy some to try it over my Sealy springs.<BR><BR>However, a super soft Talalay does not push back as much and even I can tolerate it in a low ILD. <BR>So I would say go for either type of Talalay as a topper (2&quot; or less).
Reply #12 Jan 31, 2008 7:02 AM
"I have about 3 of those soft talalay latex toppers from Overstock.com. I found them to be a bit too soft for my back, unfortunately."

I have those same toppers as part of my "cut and paste" supply. They are soft, but if you mate the convolutions are much firmer (relatively speaking). In my present zoning experiments, I had to fold them so convolutions mostly "unmated" to get it soft enough (relative to hip region).

NOTE: My wife, not bothered by back pain, has been incredibly skeptical about my entire zoning project (especially the month I spent sleeping on the living room floor last year with slabs of folded latex) but this morning commented that mattress is now unbelievably comfortable. Either she really likes it, finally gets it, or wants me to stop making major messes.
Reply #13 Feb 1, 2008 12:42 AM
mccldwll wrote:
&quot;I have about 3 of those soft talalay latex toppers from Overstock.com. I found them to be a bit too soft for my back, unfortunately.&quot;<BR><BR>I have those same toppers as part of my &quot;cut and paste&quot; supply. They are soft, but if you mate the convolutions are much firmer (relatively speaking). In my present zoning experiments, I had to fold them so convolutions mostly &quot;unmated&quot; to get it soft enough (relative to hip region). <BR><BR>NOTE: My wife, not bothered by back pain, has been incredibly skeptical about my entire zoning project (especially the month I spent sleeping on the living room floor last year with slabs of folded latex) but this morning commented that mattress is now unbelievably comfortable. Either she really likes it, finally gets it, or wants me to stop making major messes.

Well, let's hope she likes it! :) AND, gets it. I would be interested in some photos of all your experiments!
Reply #14 Feb 1, 2008 5:59 AM
BeddyBye wrote:
I have about 3 of those soft talalay latex toppers from Overstock.com. I found them to be a bit too soft for my back, unfortunately. I put one on my 15 year old daughter's rock-hard bed under a fiber bed. She really likes the feel.

I think those convoluted Overstock toppers were 20 ILD. I tend to think that convoluted foam feels softer overall than a solid sheet mainly because the peaks and valleys make it thinner in some places than others and when it compresses under your body there is just more empty space, hence a softer feel.
Reply #15 Feb 1, 2008 7:06 AM
"I think those convoluted Overstock toppers were 20 ILD. I tend to think that convoluted foam feels softer overall than a solid sheet mainly because the peaks and valleys make it thinner in some places than others and when it compresses under your body there is just more empty space, hence a softer feel."

Well...........remember what ILD refers to (weight required to compress test material/section 25%). The overstock latex may have tested at 20 ILD originally, but the convoluting process cuts the ILD of each piece roughly in half (While this is based on info at memoryfoam.com site roughly a year ago when they were closing out some 14 ILD convoluted latex that was tested at 28 ILD before convoluting, my experiments with those Overstock toppers would support that).
Reply #16 Feb 3, 2008 3:10 AM
I was sent two samples of latex from SavvyRest and I'm not sure if one is Dunlop and the other Talalay. I notice the larger "block" is denser and firmer with these larger holes on top. They have kind of a "dimple effect", whereas the other, smaller "block" has holes, but the top is flat...no dimpling. Reminds me more of a lower ILD talalay topper I have.

So, do you think the heavier piece IS from the Dunlop process?
Reply #17 Feb 4, 2008 4:34 AM
BeddyBye wrote:
I was sent two samples of latex from SavvyRest and I'm not sure if one is Dunlop and the other Talalay. I notice the larger "block" is denser and firmer with these larger holes on top. They have kind of a "dimple effect", whereas the other, smaller "block" has holes, but the top is flat...no dimpling. Reminds me more of a lower ILD talalay topper I have.

So, do you think the heavier piece IS from the Dunlop process?

It could be. Dunlop is visually apparent by its larger pinholes. The softer the latex the bigger these holes will be. With Talalay the pinholes are the same size no matter what the ILD.
Reply #18 Feb 4, 2008 11:35 PM
It seems my firmer ILD talalay has smaller holes. Not by much, but just a WEE bit tinier.

cloud9 wrote:
It could be. Dunlop is visually apparent by its larger pinholes. The softer the latex the bigger these holes will be. With Talalay the pinholes are the same size no matter what the ILD.

Recent Posts