How do Talalay, Dunlop, and all natural latex differ in feel?
Jan 28, 2008 11:21 PM
I've been reading all of the recent posts discussing Dunlop vs. Talalay but I still don't have a handle on how different they (especially all-natural latex) actually FEEL from one another. I'm looking for a 2 inch latex topper and definitely don't want something "bouncy" or "jiggly". I like the feel of medium soft PU foam, but it doesn't last very long. Do any of these types of latex come closer to that feel (not too springy, not too "pudding-y" like memory foam). Does 100% natural latex (either Talalay or Dunlop) have less spring-back than the blended types? It seems that some of you have checked out all types of latex and can perhaps enlighten me on this.
Re: How do Talalay, Dunlop, and all natural latex differ in feel?
Reply #1 Jan 29, 2008 2:07 AM
From what was posted here. Dunlop process seems to be more like "poundcake" and Talalay process is more like "spongecake". Thud vs. Boing.
I'm going to my mattress shop and try laying on a Dunlop again. I did back when I bought my mattress, but didn't pay much attention back then. I do know it had that "thud" feel. I'm curious to see if he'll sell Dunlop in thinner layers (2" or 3"). He had a thicker core on the floor.

I read a description of both processes on FoamSweetHome that explained it well. They said that for those who want firmer, Dunlop is the way to go. More resilience, go with Talalay. Wish I had known this when I bought mine.

kimmcgov wrote:
I've been reading all of the recent posts discussing Dunlop vs. Talalay but I still don't have a handle on how different they (especially all-natural latex) actually FEEL from one another. I'm looking for a 2 inch latex topper and definitely don't want something "bouncy" or "jiggly". I like the feel of medium soft PU foam, but it doesn't last very long. Do any of these types of latex come closer to that feel (not too springy, not too "pudding-y" like memory foam). Does 100% natural latex (either Talalay or Dunlop) have less spring-back than the blended types? It seems that some of you have checked out all types of latex and can perhaps enlighten me on this.
Reply #2 Jan 29, 2008 7:11 AM
If you're looking for something that feels like soft PU, I would try a couple of inexpensive 1" talalay toppers. They pop up occasionally for around $50- $60 apiece online. At 2", I doubt you'll feel any difference between your several options. A local shop had high end dunlop and 100% natural Talatech 9" mattresses side by side, and I didn't feel too much difference (that was a year ago).
Reply #3 Jan 29, 2008 8:41 AM
In my experience, 100% natural talalay feels much more jiggly than blended talalay.
Reply #4 Jan 29, 2008 10:06 AM
Dunlop feels a lot like a high quality thick cotton futon when it's new. The feel has been described as "dead" compared to coils or Talalay. It feels dense and thick and heavy compared to Talalay - less rubbery, less refined. It doesn't push back like Talalay. My husband's back tightened up on the Talalay we tried locally but he loves the Dunlop. The Dunlop is sturdy and easy to handle.

I've handled samples of the Natural Talalay and it seems a lot more fragile than the blended Talalay. It is even lighter and airier than the blended. I would think it would be even springier and less durable than either the Dunlop or the blended Talalay. I definitely wouldn't use it as a topper.

I'm not sure whether or not you'd like a Dunlop topper. I'm not sure how thick the latex has to be to get the benefits. My daughter's six inch piece of 32 ILD Dunlop with a simple cotton cover, cotton mattress pad and sheet feels pretty much the same as our three layer mattress with fancy cover. I'm not sure you need more than a six inch mattress but you might be better off with a topper of three inches than two inches. It probably depends on what you have under it too.

Don't forget to cover any latex you buy with a cover of some kind - more than a sheet. Exposure to light will make it break down very quickly.
Reply #5 Jan 29, 2008 10:13 AM
kimmcgov wrote:
Do any of these types of latex come closer to that feel (not too springy, not too "pudding-y" like memory foam).

Dunlop is nothing like memory foam. You don't sink in and stay there like quick sand. (Sorry to memory foam fans. I've never liked that feeling when I've tried it in the stores.)
Reply #6 Jan 29, 2008 10:58 AM
From FoamOrder.com's web page:

" Most in-store customers prefer the Natural Sense to Talalay in a side-by-side comparison (and this is not a "sales pitch")."

That quote is from this page:
http://www.foamorder.com/mattress_pads.html

FoamOrder.com sells blended and natural Talalay, Dunlop (that they call Natural Sense latex), PU foam and memory foam. They might be good people to ask about the differences.They also have bargains in the Clearance section.

http://www.foamorder.com/
Reply #7 Jan 30, 2008 4:55 AM
Latex of any kind won't feel like PU foam (and nothing like memory foam), but I think you will like Dunlop better than Talalay. If you've read my posts elsewhere you know I had a blended Dunlop mattress for 20 years. I loved it and was really surprised and disappointed that Talalay didn't live up to my expectations. I wouldn't exactly say that Dunlop has a "dead" feel. It's still latex, still rubber and still has resiliency to it, but it is much more passive--less pushy than Talalay and not at all jiggly, so in some respects it would be closer to PU foam than Talalay would. Dunlop is denser than Talalay and will support the body evenly and comfortably at softer ILDs. This is certainly not true of Talalay. Best of all, it feels the same after a few hours as it does when you get into bed. No sinking feeling. No tensing of the back muscles.

Since you are only looking for a 2" topper the overall feel of your bed will depend more on the actual mattress underneath than the latex on top, so many of the considerations here may not be as important as they would if you were buying a latex mattress.

If you like medium soft PU foam try something close to 28 ILD, unless your mattress is extremely firm. Then you might want to go a little softer.

Although I haven't noticed any difference in feel between blended and natural latex, I prefer blended. I think it is more stable and consistent. Natural latex is like wine in that it is basically tree sap and can differ in quality from year to year. I've also run across complaints in the old forum about natural latex hammocking--probably for that reason. But again this might be minimal in a topper. Just be sure you get a copy of the warranty.

This message was modified Jan 30, 2008 by cloud9
Reply #8 Jan 30, 2008 2:38 PM
Thanks for all of these really informative responses. I do see a few 100% natural latex toppers out there (presumably Dunlop if they don't specify Talalay) and I'm wondering if I need to worry about where they are made. I emailed a few places to find out where the latex came from. Sleepwarehouse said their latex is produced in Malaysia. FoamOrder said their latex came from both the US and Asia, but when pressed for more specific details, they told me they didn't give out that information (!?). Northern Naturals have a topper that comes from Sri Lanka.

A zoned surface makes a lot of sense, but if start out with a just a basic layer, I can at least figure out which part of my body that firmness works for, then cut and paste something firmer or softer in if I need to.
Reply #9 Jan 30, 2008 11:09 PM
For a topper, a super low ILD (super soft) Talalay is probably your best bet.
As a mattress I hated Talalay, it "pushes back" against my back and my back hated it.
Dunlop does not push back and I plan to buy some to try it over my Sealy springs.

However, a super soft Talalay does not push back as much and even I can tolerate it in a low ILD.
So I would say go for either type of Talalay as a topper (2" or less).
Reply #10 Jan 30, 2008 11:38 PM
jimsocal wrote:
However, a super soft Talalay does not push back as much and even I can tolerate it in a low ILD.

So, how low was that?

Recent Posts