Help side-sleeper choose a latex topper to ease hip numbness on firm innerspring mattress. 2" or 3"? 16-18 ILD (medium-soft) or 26 ILD (medium-firm)?
Dec 21, 2007 12:28 AM
I have a pretty firm ("cushion firm") innerspring Sealy mattress that I've owned for 9 years and I often wake up with hip numbness (I'm a side sleeper).

Anyway, I was considering getting a 2" or 3" latex topper unless someone has a better suggestion.  I don't know which height is best or what ILD range I should be looking at to soften things up a bit.  I don't want to "sink in" and I don't want something that conforms to my body and makes me hot or doesn't breathe well, so that's why I thought a latex topper would be a good choice (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm 160lbs.  Again, this is going on top of a pretty firm innerspring mattress and my main objective is to relieve pressure points - particularly in my hips.

Several sites seem to offer the same line of latex toppers in both 16-18 & 26 ILD.  So, what do you think would best suit my needs...

1.  2" or 3"?

2.  16-18 ILD (medium-soft) or 26 ILD (medium-firm)?

Thanks a ton!

This message was modified Dec 21, 2007 by jkozlow3
Re: Help side-sleeper choose a latex topper to ease hip numbness on firm innerspring mattress. 2" or 3"? 16-18 ILD (medium-soft) or 26 ILD (medium-firm)?
Reply #2 Dec 21, 2007 7:37 AM
As mentioned, 2" is probably safer bet, but soft (26 is soft) may not help much. That said, until recently I was using 3 Overstock toppers to soften things, and while it helped, support/back was a problem. Might want to start w/ 2" 32, and can add 1" soft Brylane if not enough. You also might want to look at/inquire about the zoned topper foamsource is closing out, if still available.

On a related note, I've resumed in part my zoning experiment to deal with an overly firm and( breaking down support) mattress. Presently experimenting with a 30" band of 3" roughly 32 ILD (total guess, since it's 3 pieces of PU foam from a trifold, KMart quality, sleep pad) in hip region, and well under 20 ILD shoulders knees (tri-folded Overstock 1" toppers). Another piece of 1" on top of all. Have ordered 3"/36 ILD LI topper from sleeplikeabear, and will cut and paste when that arrives. Eventually will toss the very old custom mattress and add high ILD latex and/or HR PU, with some softer stuff for shoulders. The extra support under hips/soft shoulder region makes a huge difference, with no kinking at hip region after muscles relax, and absolutely no lower back pain in a.m..

BTW, sleeplikeabear has all thicknesses of Talatech, as well as all ILDs. Guarantees, etc.. Seem to be nice folks also.
Re: Help side-sleeper choose a latex topper to ease hip numbness on firm innerspring mattress. 2" or 3"? 16-18 ILD (medium-soft) or 26 ILD (medium-firm)?
Reply #3 Dec 22, 2007 2:57 AM
Thanks for the recommendations guys.  I spoke with Evelyn at sleeplikeabear.com today for quite awhile (she is fantastic, btw.)  All of their products are from Latex International.

Her recommendation was for a 3" topper, as she said that 2" might not be thick enough to relieve the pressure from my firm innerspring mattress and that I might still feel my mattress through 2".

She recommended one of the following setups:

1.  3" 28 ILD

2.  2" 32 ILD + 1" 24 ILD

3.  2" 28 ILD + 1" 24 ILD

Man, this is getting confusing, and potentially COSTLY.  Does anyone have any comments on her suggestions?  Would the softer 1" topper even make a difference on top of the 2" firmer ones?

I'd obviously rather spend less and go with a 2" if it will be just as effective, but I don't want to dissatisfied either, so I'm willing to spend a little more if that's what it takes.  Maybe I could start with a 2" 28 or 32 and then add a softer 1" later if that doesn't cut it?  Keep in mind, my main objective is to reduce hip numbness by decreasing the pressure points on my firm innerspring mattress.  Again, I'm 160lbs, so I may need a slightly less dense topper than some (not sure on this one).

Thanks again.  I really appreciate the assistance!

This message was modified Dec 22, 2007 by jkozlow3
Reply #4 Dec 22, 2007 8:59 AM
jkozlow3 wrote:

I'd obviously rather spend less and go with a 2" if it will be just as effective, but I don't want to dissatisfied either, so I'm willing to spend a little more if that's what it takes.  Maybe I could start with a 2" 28 or 32 and then add a softer 1" later if that doesn't cut it?  Keep in mind, my main objective is to reduce hip numbness by decreasing the pressure points on my firm innerspring mattress.  Again, I'm 160lbs, so I may need a slightly less dense topper than some (not sure on this one).

If your otherwise happy with the feel of your firm mattress, I believe the 32 ILD offers the best chance of relieving your pressure points in a 2" depth. 
Reply #5 Dec 22, 2007 12:09 PM
With all that foam you're practically, no you are, building a new mattress?  Why not buy from Sleepez or Flobeds which give you the ability to swap out layers you don't like after you receive the mattress?
Reply #6 Dec 22, 2007 12:50 PM
Way past that stage. Been there/done that. Returned everything. I know where to get Talatech, and know where to have a cover custom made to my specifications. Standard latex configurations work for some, but those who find it doesn't work for them generally do so because of inadequate hip support causing kinking at hips. For those, leg/hip/shoulder zoning often works.
Reply #7 Dec 23, 2007 6:31 AM
jkozlow3 wrote:
Thanks for the recommendations guys.  I spoke with Evelyn at sleeplikeabear.com today for quite awhile (she is fantastic, btw.)  All of their products are from Latex International.

Her recommendation was for a 3" topper, as she said that 2" might not be thick enough to relieve the pressure from my firm innerspring mattress and that I might still feel my mattress through 2".

She recommended one of the following setups:

1.  3" 28 ILD

2.  2" 32 ILD + 1" 24 ILD

3.  2" 28 ILD + 1" 24 ILD

Man, this is getting confusing, and potentially COSTLY.  Does anyone have any comments on her suggestions?  Would the softer 1" topper even make a difference on top of the 2" firmer ones?

One of the things you discover by reading this forum is that finding the perfect balance of support and comfort is often a matter of trial and error. Unfortunately comfort is subjective and what feels good to one person may not feel so great to someone else.

I would suggest the 2" of either the 32 or the 28 depending on whether you prefer the overall feel of the bed a little softer or a little firmer. I personally would go with the 32 since there would be less compression and you'd be less likely to bottom out. 32 is what I would consider a medium firmness.

I also think it's better to build up your comfort layers in increments otherwise you run the risk of going overboard and not only losing support but sinking too deeply into the foam which is going to sleep hot. I would recommend getting the 2" topper first. If it seems like you need a little more pressure relief you can always buy the softer 1" topper. 

Getting a topper doesn't have to be complicated or confusing, but it could take a little tweaking until you get it right.

Reply #8 Dec 23, 2007 11:36 AM
Thanks again guys!  I think I'll start with the 2" 32 ILD and go from there!

Lets say I decide to build a latex bed down the road using my new topper(s) as a start.  What's the best place to get a couple of 3" latex cores and a cover to keep it all together?

Reply #9 Dec 24, 2007 5:51 AM
jkozlow3 wrote:
Thanks again guys!  I think I'll start with the 2" 32 ILD and go from there!

Lets say I decide to build a latex bed down the road using my new topper(s) as a start.  What's the best place to get a couple of 3" latex cores and a cover to keep it all together?

If you're pleased with Sleep Like A Bear why not stick with them if you decide to build a mattress? Other good choices are SleepEZ, which I have personally dealt with. They offer a 2-layer mattress and would probably send you a cover that would accommodate the additional core you already have. Flobeds also gets high marks for service and quality on this forum. Other sources to check into are foambymail, although some people have questioned their practices so keep that in mind if you decide to deal with them. Foamorder sells latex and will make a cover to any size whether or not you also buy the latex from them.

I think you'll really like your 32 ILD latex topper. Even though I found that an entire latex bed did not give me the right kind of support for my back, I thought that 32 was the most comfortable level of firmness.

Please update us when you get your topper and let us know how it works out for you and what your experience with Sleep Like A Bear was.

Reply #10 Dec 24, 2007 7:56 AM
cloud9 wrote:
Other sources to check into are foambymail, although some people have questioned their practices so keep that in mind if you decide to deal with them. Foamorder sells latex and will make a cover to any size whether or not you also buy the latex from them.
.</p><p>

IMO, life is too short to deal with companies which won't give straight answers to simple questions. I avoid such.
Another reputable, established company is foamsource in Boulder, Co. Dealing with any company, nail them down so you know EXACTLY what you're getting--ILD and latex manufacturer. I'm a big proponent of Latex International's Talatech. It may not be "the best" talalay, but none are any better. And if something goes wrong prematurely, there's a good chance LI will be around to stand behind its 20 year warranty. JMO
Reply #11 Dec 24, 2007 2:06 PM
I'll admit that FBM's customer service is lacking and there have been reports of incompetent if not shady business habits, but I've been pleased with the latex I purchased from them and the price I paid.

Mccldwll, I agree that LI Talatech is a safe choice, but I've never read complaints of other brands.  Have you had a bad experience?

Centralplastic.com also has Talatech latex, but apparently only in 33 ILD.  Prices are decent.

I believe Dunlopillo talalay latex is also a safe choice from what I've read.

Recent Posts