Help me put this subject to bed: Does synthetic latex offgas?
Mar 2, 2012 8:31 PM
I've read/heard so many conflicting opinions on synthetic latex and offgas potential and I really, really, really need to know:  Can it offgas or can it not?  I don't want to have to rob a bank to buy a 100% natural latex mattress, so my future as either a law-abiding citizen or convicted felon depends upon your wisdom, mattress gurus!  
Re: Help me put this subject to bed: Does synthetic latex offgas?
Reply #1 Mar 3, 2012 10:50 PM
Get natural, it's better, will last longer, and doesn't offgas. Synthetic is petro based, I would assume YES it would offgas, just as memory foam or any other petro based material does.
Reply #2 Mar 4, 2012 4:49 PM
The word 'offgas' is overused.  The answer to your question is no.  Will it have a funny new-smell?  Yes.  I disagree with Ivana.  Most experts say a blend is the best.  100% Natural latex is heavier, oxidizes in 7-9 years which causes crumbling.  A blend of synthetix (50-70%) and natural (30-50%) is considered best.  If it's quality synthetic latex, laying on the two is tough to tell a difference.  Having the blend, gives the foam a better molecular bond and will be much, much more durable.  Take for example Pure LatexBLISS, they make a blend and an all natural.  The blend is a 20 year non-prorated warranty, 30% lighter in weight, 20% less expensive.  The all-natural only carries a 10 year warranty.  They're owned by Latex International which is the largest latex producer/supplier.  
This message was modified Mar 4, 2012 by SleepEnthusiast
Reply #3 Mar 4, 2012 8:33 PM
Arrrgh, more contradictions!  I appreciate the input, but it would be nice if someone could point to research that confirms or debunks the offgassing thing.  I actually stumbled across this affordable gem today: http://www.rockymountainmattress.com/allnaturallatexsmoothtop-p-88.html.  The zoning appeals to my finicky lower back, and I have a natural talalay topper I would use with it to soften it up it a bit.  Does anyone have any opinions on Rocky Mountain Mattress or the mattress itself?  I'm not familiar with them and google isn't helping much.  

SleepEnthusiast (who isn't?!), I have to agree with your assessment of natural vs. blended.  I have a natural latex topper made by Latex International that is *extremely* fragile.  It develops small tears if you so much as breathe on it.  I don't put much faith in the superiority of natural latex.  

Reply #4 Mar 5, 2012 7:33 AM
I can only speak from personal experience, I have a 11 " all latex mattress( LI synthetic latex).  I never smelled anything.
Reply #5 Feb 28, 2013 12:51 AM
OMI or Organic Mattress, Inc. has recieved a Greenguard Certificaiton for their mattresses and claims they have the purest mattress available.  You can always request a sample as well. I definately wouldn't go with synthetic latex.
Reply #6 Feb 28, 2013 1:00 PM
We had a memory foam with tiny blue gel for cooling. It definitely off gased. We returned it. It cost us $50 to return it. But it was definitely objectional and I would think dangerous.
Reply #7 Feb 28, 2013 8:00 PM
Colorsforhealth wrote:

OMI or Organic Mattress, Inc. has recieved a Greenguard Certificaiton for their mattresses and claims they have the purest mattress available.  You can always request a sample as well. I definately wouldn't go with synthetic latex.

Do you wear nylon stockings?  Use rubber nipples on baby bottles?  Oh look, the sky is falling!

GK

Reply #8 Apr 7, 2013 8:14 PM
Based on my experience - and I hope this isn't too late for you - synthetic latex (i.e. the "blended Talalay") absolutely DOES offgass.  I bought a blended/synthetic latex mattress several months ago (from a vendor that gets their latex from Latex International - I'll be charitable, for now - and not mention who that vendor was) - and had an overall horrible time with it as far as the offgassing.  The fumes/offgassing gave me symptoms - even to the point of making me blatantly ill.  I absolutely could not continue sleeping on that contraption - to this company's credit, it had a pretty sound return policy, which it honored.

Sleeping on that mattress night after night really rubbed in the fact (literally) that synthetic latex is made of petroleum/petrochemical derivatives.  At best, the mattress has what can be described as a "chemical" odor - at worst, the odor smelled similar to gasoline (I think the odor takes on the quality of gasoline when it is "concentrated" - i.e. when the mattress has little ventilation.  When I packed up the mattress to return to the company, my mother was stunned at the noxious/gasoline-like odor wafting from the boxes.)  

Apparently, I found out the hard way that the latex mattress is in general a pretty unstable object; from the time it's  manufatured, and especially from the time you unpackage it and expose it to air - it is in a perpetual process of "breaking down", or disintegrating.  Over a period of weeks, you can even see where cracks, pits, and little "divots" appear on the mattress - imperfections that weren't there when the mattress first arrived.  It seems that direct exposure to UV light, allegedly - speeds up the process; but even when it is encased, it slowly disintegrates.  (The "selling point" of these mattresses is that it supposedly takes years before the disintegration reaches the point where the mattress starts to fail.)  I suppose this explains the off-gassing/fumes - at least in part.  In the process of disintegrating, volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are released - the fumes.  

Mattress companies like to pretend that the offgassing is temporary.  It's up to the consumer to figure out that the promise of temporary offgassing is a lie - especially in the case of latex mattresses.  The characteristics of latex mattresses -you know, the characteristics that they don't tell you about - translate into permanent offgassing.  Consumers vary in their sensitivity to this offgassing - some may barely notice it, while others find it absolutely intolerable (and I suppose that the quality of the mattress also comes into play here - though I believe that ALL latex, polyurethane foam, and memory foam mattresses WILL off-gass).  

The thing about latex mattresses is that the odor is such that it seems to penetrate your clothing; if you smell your clothing after laying on a latex mattress for awhile - your clothing will smell strongly of the latex.  And it's reasonable to conclude that the fumes don't just stop "traveling" when they reach your clothing - if the gasses are strong enough to penetrate through several layers of bedding, and onto your clothes - they penetrate into your body.  The physiological symptoms that I often experienced while laying on my latex mattress is evidence of this.

It seems that the warmer the weather got, the worse the offgassing became - and the worse my symptoms got.  I had to make these observations and reach these conclusions on my own - the mattress companies sure as heck don't help you out in this regard.  The lying-by-omission and the outright dishonesty these mattress companies commit is remarkable.

The thoughts I express here are largely based on my experience with a blended Talalay latex mattress (which, IIRC - is about 60% synthetic) - but, having purchased samples of "100% natural" latex from at least two different companies, I have reason to believe that much of the same holds true for the "100% natural"/"organic" latex, as well.  The natural/organic latex may be "healthier", or it may not be.  "Natural" doesn't automatically mean "healthy" - after all, beer is also "natural".   "Natural" latex could very well be the lesser of the evils, though. Natual/organic latex also seems to have a strong smell - though the smell is more along the lines of pure rubber, rather than a concoction of chemicals/gasoline.  But the odor of the natural/organic latex will also seep into your clothes in a similar manner as the synthetic latex's odor.  Natural/organic latex also seems to be in a perpetual "disintegration" mode - in fact, you will see some companies describe the natural latex as "biodegradable" - which is a good-sounding marketing word.  What they don't quite tell you is that it "biodegrades" right underneath you!  

I'm not so sure that "natural" means that the offgassing will not bother me - at least as far as I'm concerned.  I'm also not too keen on the idea of having the "natural" rubber compounds bioaccululate in my body.

From an off-gassing standpoint - if you have to choose between a synthetic latex mattress and a polyurethane foam mattress - you might be better off with a polyurethane foam mattress, IMO.  From my experience, polyurethane foam does not off-gass as aggressively as the synthetic latex - and it seems more chemically-stable (it is also less dense than latex - which translates to a less-concentrated source of chemicals).  Stick with regular polyurethane foam though, rather than the memory foam;  memory foam may be more comfortable, but it can be a noxious nightmare based on the complaints of lots of people.

Keep in mind that polyurethane foam also off-gasses - it's simply the lesser of the evils (from my experience).  The source of the polyurethane foam may make a difference - some manufacturers may produce a better-quality product than others.  It's hard to determine for sure, though - since such information seems shrouded in secrecy (and lies).  There seems to be a lot of significant information that is concealed from the consumer.  I share your frustration with not being able to get honest, clear information about these products.

Reply #9 Apr 10, 2013 3:51 PM
Yes synthetic foam offgassses.... If you are sensitive to such you should stay away from both synthetic latex as well as foam. For some people its a bit for others it is not but if you have had sesitivities in the pase stay away from it. People who I work forth if they even mention a sensitivity we will not let them look at anything but natural and it is really not that much more money than blended or synthetic. Hope that helps.

Reply #10 Sep 4, 2013 6:26 AM
I have a flobed with blended talalay. I do not smell the latex at all. This from day one. 

Recent Posts