Help me Obi-Wan Jimsocal, you're my only hope. And other foam related questions for anyone! Doing surgery soon and could use opinions
Aug 21, 2011 9:28 PM
We are DESPERATE for something different in our mattress -- and are finally prepared to do mattress surgery on our 6-7 yr old Stearns and Foster. I've emailed a couple of semi-local places re foam, but was really hoping that Jimsocal could reveal his source for his HR foam -- and we'd be happy to just go there and give them our business. If anyone else has any recommendations of places you've been happy with close to Pasadena (or the Los Angeles area) I'd love to hear that too.

I was also hoping someone could give me their opinion regarding our proposed set up. We cut open a few inches along the bottom of the mattress and were surprised to find that there is only about 3.5" of foam/space above the springs and under the cover. We already have a 2" memory foam topper (can't remember the name but it's from overstock based on recs here -- maybe Senus??). We have been happy with memory foam in the past, but the crappy PU foam under the cover is so unsupportive that the MF isn't helping anything. We plan to just cut off the cover and were thinking of putting about 3" of high resilience foam on top of the fiber mat over the springs and our MF topper over that. 

Here's my question. Is 2-3" of HR foam ILD 36-45 going to be supportive enough over our coils? Does that range of ILD seem good if we like firm? We both like a firmer surface, but with the little bit of cush that MF provides. Hubby is 6'4" 215 lbs, and mostly a side sleeper (I kinda make him sleep on his side since he snores on his back). I am also mostly a side sleeper and have a bad back. I am 5'2" and about 160 (said way under my breath). We are open to latex and have liked the ones we've tried briefly at Ikea and Custom Comfort, but since we can probably get HR foam locally so much faster and cheaper, we'd thought we'd give that a go first. 

At this point, I'm considering just pulling everything and putting the MF topper over the springs (over the fiber mat thing of course). I think I just read recently here that someone else had done that.

I promise to post pics of our surgery -- just wanted to make sure we were on the right track.

Thanks!

This message was modified Aug 22, 2011 by stacytr
Re: Help me Obi-Wan Jimsocal, you're my only hope. And other foam related questions for anyone! Doing surgery soon and could use opinions
Reply #1 Aug 23, 2011 2:09 AM
A hopeful (and only slightly desperate) bump
Re: Help me Obi-Wan Jimsocal, you're my only hope. And other foam related questions for anyone! Doing surgery soon and could use opinions
Reply #2 Aug 23, 2011 5:17 AM
What is currently wrong with your mattress right now?   That could really help readers develop a solution.

As for that 3.5 inches of stuff between the cover and the springs...  It is probably softer foam than the 36-45ILD you are looking at replacing it with.  Expect a much firmer feel.  Warning: I have no personal experience, but am going based off the hundreds of posts I'ved read so far. 

Reply #3 Aug 23, 2011 5:53 AM
jjswee wrote:

What is currently wrong with your mattress right now?   That could really help readers develop a solution.

As for that 3.5 inches of stuff between the cover and the springs...  It is probably softer foam than the 36-45ILD you are looking at replacing it with.  Expect a much firmer feel.  Warning: I have no personal experience, but am going based off the hundreds of posts I'ved read so far. 

Our mattress is showing indentations/valleys -- you can actually see them just looking at the bed! It has become very unsupportive -- though we both loved the bed when we bought it -- and for a good while afterward. We both wake up with very sore backs. We did NOT buy a pillowtop -- just a basic level firm stearns and foster. 

Do you think we should consider a lower lever ILD?

Reply #4 Aug 23, 2011 11:51 AM
I don't know where Jim got his, but I have ordered HR sofa cushions from foamonline and it seemed like pretty good quality.   I would call to see what the ILDs are (they just describe as soft, firm, etc.).   I think firm is around 35-40, which is okay for a base level, but you would need a few softer inches about.    If you are putting on top of coils, probably 2-3" is okay.  If you want it firm, 35-40 is probably okay, or you could go a little softer like 30-35.  I use 2" of 32 ILD latex as my base foam over Sealy coils.

If you want cheaper, you can buy from foambymail.com .  The quality is probably not quite as good, but their prices are very good.   I would go for the highest density foam they make that is appropriate.  They also have latex at a good price, but again the quality can vary from (based on previous postings). 

This message was modified Aug 23, 2011 by sandman
Reply #5 Aug 23, 2011 6:55 PM
I ordered foam from a place in Santa Ana, A-1 Foam and Fabrics.  The pieces arrived in good shape and cut exactly to my specifications.  Unfortunately the foam didn't work out for me.  I would try again but the shipping charges to northern California were outrageous.  They were not adept at the packing of foam.  They have a wide selection and you can have it cut any way you'd like.  Good luck!

http://www.a1foamandfabrics.com/site/foam_main.cfm

Reply #6 Aug 25, 2011 1:55 PM
Ok, yesterday we actually cut the cover completely off! There was a bunch of foam sewn/quilted into the cover -- very thin and seemed low quality . We also pulled out the thinnest layer of foam from the stack. It is so much better already! Which gives me more time to obsess -- I mean research! We are still debating HR foam or latex, trying to determine what ILD and thickness. And if we buy latex we would probably buy from a place like foam by mail just cause it's so much cheaper. Thanks for the feedback -- if anyone else has anything more to add I'd sure appreciate it.
Reply #7 Aug 26, 2011 2:07 PM
stacytr wrote:

Ok, yesterday we actually cut the cover completely off! There was a bunch of foam sewn/quilted into the cover -- very thin and seemed low quality . We also pulled out the thinnest layer of foam from the stack. It is so much better already! Which gives me more time to obsess -- I mean research! We are still debating HR foam or latex, trying to determine what ILD and thickness. And if we buy latex we would probably buy from a place like foam by mail just cause it's so much cheaper. Thanks for the feedback -- if anyone else has anything more to add I'd sure appreciate it.

Have you called any of the latex mattress folks recommended on this forum and ask them what they recommend?

Just a thought....laugh

Click on Highlighted threads at top for several excellent posts on Mattress Surgery from Sandman JImsocal and others...
Reply #8 Sep 18, 2011 3:16 PM
Or also search "mattress surgery."  I have also done mattress surgery, and mine is yet to be successful after at least a year of nearly every imagineable combination of foam layers.

shovel99.  I have shared a lot of insight on the different foam products, densities, etc.  Too much to repeat here... just look.

Sandman gives his specifics and I have tried his.  Better than the 25 factory made mattresses I have bought... but not real good, yet.

I have problem of side and back sleeper with lower back pain.  I need firm for back sleep, soft for side sleep, and spend about half of each night or side then back.  There will not likely be a solution for me.  Memory foam tends to run hot.... reduces pressure points, but then does not "SUPPORT"... because you sind into it, rather than it holding you up.

What you need will depend on side or back... your weight... and your preferences.  That is why it is impossible to "tell you what to get".

I bought my foam in 1" thicknesses.. .you can fold it over for experimentation.  And 2 x 1 inch is pretty close to 1 x 2 inch in feel... so you can try more combos for less money.

Overstock.com used to have many choices in 1 inch of memory foam, and no longer does. See my posts for comments on Foam by mail latex 20 ILD, Sleeplikeabear.com's 14 ILD.  20 ILD is firmer than I can stand as a top layer and there is not cheap place for 14 ILD... it all comes from the same place and will cost you at least $175 for a 1 inch queen.

Right now I am using a spring just like sandman's Sealey posturepedic reserve with the encased perimeter coils.... on the bottom have 2 inches of supersoft foam from foamdistributing.com ...and then 2 inches of 14 ILD latex from sleeplikeabear.com.  I have only two fitted sheets, no pad, because even the best matt pads ad firmness my boney body can't stand.  I am 165 pound male.

I wish you good luck.... others with fewer problems than I have have gotten lucky with Matt Surgery fairly quickly.

Start by getting one inch of FBM 20 ILD, (this is pretty soft and p;robably soft enough for most for a top layer),  $93 delivered,  1 inch queen supersoft (PU) foam from foamdistributing.com..... maybe $45 delivered...  and 1 inch of 5.3 lb density mem foam from foamorder.com  $110 or so with coupon, and 1 inch of 4 lb memory foam at overstock.com  (the so called Mem cool memory foam.   Reasonable quality, softer than 5 lb.)

With one of each of those you can begin to get a feel.

I. like jimsocal tried a tall stack of both mem foam and latex and the foam did not "give" enough to accommodate my hip shoulders on my side. Needed springs.

I think the reason that I am still not successful is that for my 165 lb, the 14 gauge Sealy coil is just too stiff for me.  It barely indents when I sit on it.  And even 20 ILD latex layers actually stiffen the feel of the springs.

Good luck.

Paul

Re: Click on Highlighted threads at top for several excellent posts on Mattress Surgery from Sandman JImsocal and others...
Reply #9 Sep 18, 2011 3:18 PM
Just re read your post.  I believe the HR foam you seek can be bought at www.foamdistributing.com.  I bought both supersoft and either High Density or High Resilience :PU there.

Paul

Recent Posts