Help me Obi-Wan Jimsocal, you're my only hope. And other foam related questions for anyone! Doing surgery soon and could use opinions
Aug 21, 2011 9:28 PM
We are DESPERATE for something different in our mattress -- and are finally prepared to do mattress surgery on our 6-7 yr old Stearns and Foster. I've emailed a couple of semi-local places re foam, but was really hoping that Jimsocal could reveal his source for his HR foam -- and we'd be happy to just go there and give them our business. If anyone else has any recommendations of places you've been happy with close to Pasadena (or the Los Angeles area) I'd love to hear that too.

I was also hoping someone could give me their opinion regarding our proposed set up. We cut open a few inches along the bottom of the mattress and were surprised to find that there is only about 3.5" of foam/space above the springs and under the cover. We already have a 2" memory foam topper (can't remember the name but it's from overstock based on recs here -- maybe Senus??). We have been happy with memory foam in the past, but the crappy PU foam under the cover is so unsupportive that the MF isn't helping anything. We plan to just cut off the cover and were thinking of putting about 3" of high resilience foam on top of the fiber mat over the springs and our MF topper over that. 

Here's my question. Is 2-3" of HR foam ILD 36-45 going to be supportive enough over our coils? Does that range of ILD seem good if we like firm? We both like a firmer surface, but with the little bit of cush that MF provides. Hubby is 6'4" 215 lbs, and mostly a side sleeper (I kinda make him sleep on his side since he snores on his back). I am also mostly a side sleeper and have a bad back. I am 5'2" and about 160 (said way under my breath). We are open to latex and have liked the ones we've tried briefly at Ikea and Custom Comfort, but since we can probably get HR foam locally so much faster and cheaper, we'd thought we'd give that a go first. 

At this point, I'm considering just pulling everything and putting the MF topper over the springs (over the fiber mat thing of course). I think I just read recently here that someone else had done that.

I promise to post pics of our surgery -- just wanted to make sure we were on the right track.

Thanks!

This message was modified Aug 22, 2011 by stacytr

Recent Posts