Hello again. Glad to see this forum still here. Have a question or two.
Mar 1, 2014 12:18 PM
I was hot on the trail of finding out about mattresses several years ago and somehow found this site. I was an active member here for a year or two. Was very happy this was here as it was the only thing I could find that was objective in any way to discuss and learn about mattresses, foam, etc. After about 6 mos of learning, I pulled the trigger and bought a mattress and topper from foam by mail.  A king size regular firmness 6" latex core, and a 2" osft firmness latex topper. This was a compromise at the time as my wife is a side sleeper and me more of a stomach sleeper.       The mattress has done well over 6 years and really doesn't feel any different than it did when it was new. At least I can't detect any difference. I put this on top of 2 regular twin sized box springs made to 5".... the whole setup was right at $1000 in 2008. I took a bunch of pictures as I was setting it up as no one had done that up till that point in time, and I wanted to show other people what this looked like coming out of the box, being setup  etc.. I just notice today the picture hosting service seems to have lost some of the pics from my post. just emailed them to see if they could find...   

http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/my-foambymail-8-latex-mattress-actual-setup-pictures/9029-0-1.html

For me, I had no problems with FBM. Others here said to stay away, many like me thought they were fine. What I was interested in was the actual performance of the mattress.
And not whether it was 'pretty' foam. I wanted the best price I could get for a decent genuine product.

I'd like to recreate something like this in another area of my house. 
Would like a touch firmer base than I have now. I think the original core from FBM was 29 and the topper was 20.
What foam could I use (not latex as the core) to get something just a touch firmer?
Has anyone here tried to put something together with some of FBM's Lux-HQ or HD36-HQ foam in a 5" or 6" base,  and top it with a 2" latex piece?
What would any of you suggest as a reasonable alternative to achieve what I'm looking for?

Where else is there that we can buy foam like this (latex or regular) that is not marked up rediculously? 

Thanks!
Bill

Recent Posts