My Foambymail 8" Latex mattress - actual setup with pictures
Nov 29, 2008 11:13 AM
The mattress and topper finally arrived here from Michigan on Wed, Nov 26th.  We could not set it up until Fri as that is when the old bed was going to be picked up by JCPenneys. So it took 9 days from order to delivery; Michigan to Oregon. FBM did send out a UPS tracking number as soon as it was sent. As you can see by the pictures, it was packed up very well and although the boxes look a little ragged, it was well packed inside with several layers of plastic. On Friday morning, I went and picked up the two king foundation pieces from the local furniture store and then waited for the shippers to come and pick the old bed up.

They arrived just after noon, and took the so-called "green" Simmons mattress and foundation set away, so we were able to then go ahead and set up the new king size latex mattress set. To call that mattress "green" is really stretching the core of the English language, but I guess they have a right to do it. 
Here's what we ordered, the latex is from Foambymail:
1 King 6" Medium ILD Latex core - $580
1 King 2" Soft ILD Latex topper - $185
1 King terry cloth mattress cover from Foambymail - $20 upcharge
1 KIng all-cotton (heavy) mattress cover from ShopSatin.com (spare cover) - $23
2 XL twin Englander 7" foundation pieces (very nice for the price, from a local store) - $190
Grand total for 8" King sized latex, with foundation and extra cover - $998

I took the advice of a post I had read here to put the packaged foam up on the bed and unpack it there. This was certainly the easier way to do it. The boxes weighed 106 lbs for the king 6" medium ILD core, and 35 lbs for the 2" soft ILD topper. Heavy stuff, for sure. And for chris137 who just had a problem with his specs, this works out to be 4.9ish lbs/cf. So it's a little less than advertised. But I am not worrying about it. I'm more interested in whether it does the job or not.  We placed the big piece of packaged latex up on the bed and started to unpack it. This thing was really encased well in multiple layers of plastic within the outside cardboard box. After several careful cuts of removing plastic and what looks like their ticking material used as rope, we finally got to the one bag that actually contained the mattress. When this bag was cut, you heard a big whoooosh and then the mattress took on about twice its size in volume.  Then it was a matter of finishing the removal from the bag, then figuring out which end was the long end (not easy on a 76 x 80 size). Ended up measuring and then spread it out correctly on the bed.  The Terry cover has sort of rubber nubbins on the underside to keep the mattress from moving around. Like you might see on kid's slippers. It is a nice cover.  The 6" piece did come already within the cover which made it easier to deal with.  So after it was spread out I unzipped the cover all the way around and then repeated the unpacking process with the 2" topper.  It too let out a big whoooosh when it finally got its air.  Both of these did not take any time after that to come to full volume. Minutes. The topper was then laid out on the core and zipped up. Pretty easy. Entire process took 45 minutes or so.

Initial impressions:
The latex looks very similar to other Latex products I have seen, both in pictures and actual. Color is whitish. It does look like this might be more of a 2nd piece and I say that only because I notice a slight dent, or hole, or other imperfection here and there. I see nothing that would in any way alter what I'm looking for with the latex of affect the way it would perform. Just cosmetic stuff. There's a slight smell but not much. My initial reaction to the feel; soft on the surface but supportive underneath.  Laying on my stomach feels a whole lot better and supportive than the other bed.  I am both a stomach and side sleeper and my wife is a side sleeper. We're not big, 155 and 135 lbs, so we did not want to go the other way and get something way too firm that both of us would have problems with.  We don't bottom out sitting on this. I think the foundation has a little give in it which helps with this. I bought the foundation and sized it exactly so the finished hieight of the bed would be about 25" , which is a perfect height for us.  The other mattress was 31" high and was a probem getting out of bed and also sitting on, it was just too high. This seems to "sit" pretty well and is more supportive than what I was expecting.

Update after first night:  I slept pretty well, did "feel" the mattress some, it was firmer than I thought it was going to be. Being new I was conscious of it. It didn't really wake me up or anything like that.  My wife said she could feel some pressure in her shoulder area but like the feel of it. Overall I think this is very good. I know it will take some getting used to. We are going to eventually put some sort of mattress pad on it, and I think we just need to sleep on it for several nights and see if we only need a bare minimum of pad or something more like the Costco Cuddle bed pad. If needed, I might also put something underneath it too, like a 1" or 2" firm piece of HQ foam.

I wanted to post all of these setup pictures as these are exactly the type of questions that I had myself but could find no reference to. If they can answer some questions for anyone, good.  The pictures have been resized down quite a bit to make posting and viewing them easier, but it does reduce the quality some. Note* - thank you Sager for the coding help. It's been awhile.... 

This message was modified Dec 27, 2008 by BillB
Re: My Foambymail 8" Latex mattress - actual setup with pictures
Reply #31 Feb 3, 2010 8:24 PM
Hey FantasticAlice, Did you ever buy the bed? Take pics? Post them? Would love to see them.
Reply #32 May 18, 2010 3:02 PM
thanks for sharing your photos, it really helped me. I was hesitant about ordering from them after reading some bad online reviews, mainly about their acoustic sound proof foams. I need to get my daughters a topper for their too firm mattress. Your latex mattress looks great. I ordered the 3 thinner layered latex mattress from SleepEz. I keep thinking it would have been easier to just get a good solid 6" core, but then I couldn't adjust my pieces around like we can do now. Can you tell me if your latex is Dunlop or Talalay?. Because Dunlop is much firmer, that might be why your bed feels firmer on the core part. Mine is all Talalay, and we think ours is too soft. BTW you got a heck of a deal. Foambymail has everyone beat right now. They are even willing to give an extra 10% off after beating anyone else's price, because Overstock did have a lower price. But Foambymail is willing to match that if you bring it up to them. I was just leary also because they sent me out a sample of their latex, and it was covered in hairs, and it was dirty. It was gross. But again looks like your latex mattress looks fine.
Reply #33 May 18, 2010 3:07 PM
what is in that costco pad?. I have read the memory foam is not good for your health, due to the offgasing. I read an interesting story, I believe it was called how my memory foam bed almost killed me. This guy goes indepth how sick it made him, and when he finally got rid of it, his health returned.

anyways, I was told that if you do not sleep directly on the latex, you loose the feeling of it. Padding on interfers between you and the whole reason to get latex. I know this to be true from personal experience. Once I put the stiffer cover over ours, the marshmellow yummy effect was gone. Now our mattress feels stiff. The soft Terry cloth gave our bed a much nicer feel, without putting much between us and our latex.

your pad does look heavenly though.

Reply #34 May 18, 2010 3:20 PM
Dampier wrote:

Thanks for this excellent roundup of the FBM bed configuration.

I have had experience with the 2" latex topper from FBM before, having ordered it to get several additional months out of a 10 year old sagging mattress that is giving up the support it once offered.  It made a significant and comforting difference.

There has been a lot of complaining about FBM on some of the deal sites because it "routinely short-weights orders" and "doesn't tell you the source of the latex, which is probably China," and "may not have the quality of the higher priced competition."  In my online journeys, I can say FBM does definitely have an issue with delivering true to weight products, which will drive some shoppers crazy.  I can also say it could easily be true the latex originates in China and may not have the same qualities as more expensive competitors, but ultimately I have been extremely happy with my latex topper, don't care where it was made, and has held up under my weight since the spring with zero wear and tear, and I don't even have the protective cover.

I am particularly interested in Bill's configuration because I can take my existing 2" topper to the new design, reducing costs.  But I have some questions I hope others with more experience might be able to answer:

1) I am a big and heavy guy.  My weight has shown no consequence on the latex topper at all - no valleys or compression visible whatsoever.  Will the same be likely with a 6" core?

2) As I am a larger person, should I be considering additional layers and/or a firmness adjustment to prevent any bottoming out issues?

3) I actually prefer a higher sleeping position - I do not like lower beds.  Our existing box spring seems to be in reasonable condition (no detectable valleys or dips, nothing poking through, etc.).  Could I adopt this design to my existing metal frame bed by either placing thin plywood between the foundation and the mattress to guarantee even support, or is it preferable to switch to something akin to a slotted drop-in wooden foundation (like the one BedInABox sells) and use that instead?

4) The total weight of the latex is going to add to the weight on the existing bed frame.  Anyone have any experience with a heavier latex/foam mattress on an existing bed frame's durability?

5) While I don't mind the latex topper's feel just beneath the fitted sheet, I can definitely say the type of sheet used does make a difference in what you feel.  I have a Martha Stewart sateen sheet set which I like for its crispness and cool feeling (it's especially nice in the warmer months), but it really transmits the springiness of the topper and it's very noticeable.  Additionally, the snugger the fit, the more you will feel (and this one's fitted sheet is very snug).  The Costco mattress topper idea is probably a great suggestion, although I've heard some others remark it tends to be a bit warm for some people.  Experiences welcomed.

I appreciate the input and experiences from those who know far more about these things than I.    If it keeps me from playing the obnoxious "let's rip you off at the bed store" game for traditional mattresses, I'm all for it!

Check out the nomad bed frame at Amazon, that is what I ordered. My husband found it for me. It lets the latex breathe underneath like it is suppose to do. And you are right about what sheet to use, I find that something with a stretch works best if you want to maintain that wonderful latex feel. I have latex pillows from JcPenny too, and after I put an expensive waterproof pillow case over it, I hated it. It made the pillow too stiff.

The box spring will have more give to it, but again I think the slat bed is what is suited best for the mattress. I read it keeps it from growing mold underneath it. the slats must be no more than 3 inches apart. I like the look of the NOMAD Bed, check it out, it's only $149

Reply #35 May 18, 2010 7:55 PM
mycakebed wrote:

what is in that costco pad?. I have read the memory foam is not good for your health, due to the offgasing. I read an interesting story, I believe it was called how my memory foam bed almost killed me. This guy goes indepth how sick it made him, and when he finally got rid of it, his health returned.

anyways, I was told that if you do not sleep directly on the latex, you loose the feeling of it. Padding on interfers between you and the whole reason to get latex. I know this to be true from personal experience. Once I put the stiffer cover over ours, the marshmellow yummy effect was gone. Now our mattress feels stiff. The soft Terry cloth gave our bed a much nicer feel, without putting much between us and our latex.

your pad does look heavenly though.

I think this is purely a preference.

I, for one, at times find that sleeping right on the latex is better and other times it's better with a wool pad. I haven't decided yet. But the point is, it's not a cut and dried "fact" - it's a preference. Some even like memory foam on top, or a pu foam topper, etc.. Just depends. wink

Reply #36 May 18, 2010 8:11 PM
mycakebed wrote:

Check out the nomad bed frame....

I like the look of the NOMAD Bed, check it out, it's only $149

I saw that bed frame - I like the look of it too, and I think it got great reviews. Do you own it yet? Is it sturdy?

Recent Posts