Have you tried the Dream Coil topper yet?
Feb 29, 2008 12:26 AM
I can't remember who ordered the Carpenter Dream Coil PU topper from Penneys besides me. I'm wondering if you had a chance to try it out. If so, how did you like it...or not? Mine is still in the package. I just haven't felt like adding another topper to my mattress right now. It's been feeling too good to mess with it! :) But, I don't think I'll take it back. If I don't end up using it on top of our bed, I can either cut it and use it inside, or maybe as a camping pad. I think my back will respond better to a PU foam topper vs. memory foam or latex.
Re: Have you tried the Dream Coil topper yet?
Reply #19 Mar 5, 2008 5:08 PM
LOL. I have to laugh because there are times when I get into bed and I think, "I sure wish some of these folks on the mattress forum could come over and try this out for themselves!" :)

As for this Omalon mattress pad being like a carpet pad, it seems a bit softer, although still very supportive. Maybe it's because of the varied convoluted zones. I wouldn't want to walk on it! :) Also, a carpet pad seems thinner and more compressed. But, the Omalon definitely acts the same way in both types of pads. It doesn't go flat! Yay!

Maybe Penneys will bring back more sizes. I wonder why they're not sold at places like Overstock.com and Brylane. Or maybe Carpenter is bringing out a newer "model". Can you get two XL Twins and put them together or cut them to fit?

cloud9 wrote:
<strong>BeddyBye,</strong> thanks for the Omalon link. Sounds really interesting. Now I'm sorry I missed my chance to order one while they still had my size. I just figured I had a closet full of foam I'm not using at the moment and this would just be another addtion to the collection. It looks really cool too.</p><p>Someone mentioned carpet padding, and I wonder if the topper is the same as the Omalon carpet pad, only prettier. I'm always looking for a way to make the mattress a little more rigid without making it quite as hard as the carpet remnant does. Now I'm REALLY jealous of your mattress!
This message was modified Mar 5, 2008 by BeddyBye
Reply #20 Mar 5, 2008 7:34 PM
BeddyBye wrote:
Actually, it's not that hard at all. Comfortably firm. And with the CuddleBed fiber topper, it makes it even nicer.

I still see it at Costco. It's on sale, too, through March 9. Here's the link:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11189730&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|62415|28683|492&N=4018505&Mo=18&pos=2&No=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=492&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC14142-Cat28683&topnav=

Our twin mattresses are inside a King frame and we have the same bedding on both. King size sheets, blankets, comforter, etc. So even though we each have our own XL Twin mattress, everything else is shared. I stay on my own side, though. And, likewise for him. He's fast asleep by the time I get to bed! Also, besides the pillow under my head, I have one pushed against my back and under my knees when I'm laying on my side. I would feel lost without them. Romantic, eh! :-)

I might have to give that 44 ILD over the 32 ILD a try if I find my current configuration won't work.

Don't you have to have a CostCo card to buy from the CostCo web site?
I went to the link and liked what I saw so I put it in the "shopping cart".
It never asked for a membership # so I went through with the order process and received confirmation that they accepted my order and my bank account was charged.
I USED TO have a CostCo account, about 4 years ago, when we bought the Sealys. But I never renewed after that.
I was surprised the order seems to have gone through anyway. Maybe because I have an "account" on line with them? Still , you'd think they'd have it fixed to come up
with a membership number request...
Hmmmm. I wonder if I'll actually get this order...

One more thing... As to this "carpet pad" you use. Where did you get it, how thick is it? And what is it made out of?
Reply #21 Mar 6, 2008 12:36 AM
jimsocal,

I don't believe they ever asked me for my membership card number. II don't think you need to be a member to purchase online. I've ordered two of the CuddleBed Ultimates and I honestly don't recall giving my number. In fact, I know I didn't. I didn't even use my Costco card. I used my Visa. Did they send you an order confirmation?

Are you talking about the Carpenter Dream Coil mattress pad (made from Omalon)? It's not a carpet pad, however, Omalon is USED in carpet pads. Different densities and different for bedding, I'm sure. This is a 2.2 lb. density. I bought a King size at JCPenney a couple weeks ago, but now all they seem to have is the XL Twin for $29.99. If you use various coupons you can bring the price down. I just bought two of them. They might be good for the inside of my mattresses. Here is the link:

http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/ProductsHOM.aspx?DeptID=25436&CatID=30743&CatTyp=DEP&ItemTyp=G&GrpTyp=STY&ItemID=1126e08&ProdSeq=9&Cat=foam+toppers&Dep=Bed+%2b+Bath&PCat=Pillows+%2b+Pads&PCatID=28950&RefPage=ProductList&Sale=&ProdCount=12&RecPtr=&ShowMenu=&TTYP=&ShopBy=0&RefPageName=CategoryAll%252Easpx&RefCatID=28950&RefDeptID=25436&Page=2&CmCatId=25436|28950|30743

jimsocal wrote:
Don't you have to have a CostCo card to buy from the CostCo web site?<BR>I went to the link and liked what I saw so I put it in the &quot;shopping cart&quot;. <BR>It never asked for a membership # so I went through with the order process and received confirmation that they accepted my order and my bank account was charged.<BR>I USED TO have a CostCo account, about 4 years ago, when we bought the Sealys. But I never renewed after that.<BR>I was surprised the order seems to have gone through anyway. Maybe because I have an &quot;account&quot; on line with them? Still , you'd think they'd have it fixed to come up <BR>with a membership number request...<BR>Hmmmm. I wonder if I'll actually get this order...<BR><BR>One more thing... As to this &quot;carpet pad&quot; you use. Where did you get it, how thick is it? And what is it made out of?
Reply #22 Mar 6, 2008 2:30 AM
BeddyBye wrote:
jimsocal,

I don't believe they ever asked me for my membership card number. II don't think you need to be a member to purchase online. I've ordered two of the CuddleBed Ultimates and I honestly don't recall giving my number. In fact, I know I didn't. I didn't even use my Costco card. I used my Visa. Did they send you an order confirmation?

Are you talking about the Carpenter Dream Coil mattress pad (made from Omalon)? It's not a carpet pad, however, Omalon is USED in carpet pads. Different densities and different for bedding, I'm sure. This is a 2.2 lb. density. I bought a King size at JCPenney a couple weeks ago, but now all they seem to have is the XL Twin for $29.99. If you use various coupons you can bring the price down. I just bought two of them. They might be good for the inside of my mattresses. Here is the link:

http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/ProductsHOM.aspx?DeptID=25436&CatID=30743&CatTyp=DEP&ItemTyp=G&GrpTyp=STY&ItemID=1126e08&ProdSeq=9&Cat=foam+toppers&Dep=Bed+%2b+Bath&PCat=Pillows+%2b+Pads&PCatID=28950&RefPage=ProductList&Sale=&ProdCount=12&RecPtr=&ShowMenu=&TTYP=&ShopBy=0&RefPageName=CategoryAll%252Easpx&RefCatID=28950&RefDeptID=25436&Page=2&CmCatId=25436|28950|30743

Yes, I got an order confirmation from CostCo. I couldn't believe they only charged under $3 for the shipping. They must squish it up and send it in a small package, I guess?
(the cuddlebed ulitimate I mean). Seems strange that you have to be a member to shop in the store, but not online. I'd rather shop online, anyway. But we never used CostCo for
groceries because it was too far from our home and we don't buy a lot of stuff they sell in bulk, anyway.

I have one of the Dream Coil toppers already and it's too firm for me as a topper. I might try it underneath a softer topper. It might work that way.
Tonight I am trying my 3/4" latex under a 3/4" convoluted memory foam. Just laying on it, it feels too firm for me. I'll know about 4-5 hours after I fall asleep. About then is when I
usually wake up with a sore back or discomfort in my shoulders if my topper(s) are too firm.

The past 2 nights I had my doubled-up wool topper under me as a topper and it felt real good but the 2nd night it began to bother my lower back (due to lack of support, I presume).

At least I seem to have a good combination of my 1" x two HR cores over the springs, now.
Reply #23 Mar 6, 2008 2:15 PM
Reply #23 Today 11:15 am Edit Quote

Okay, then you're good to go. I hope you like it! I just love the way it cradles my body without causing me to sink in (as with a feather or thick fiberbed.)

I'm not sure why some sites can get away with cheap shipping. Same with Overstock.com. We don't buy many groceries at Costco, either. Only 3 of us at home now. I do buy certain items that can be frozen. I'm curious, why do you spell it CostCo? :) At least you can return it locally, if need be. I have the King size CuddleBed Ultimate and it's in a 15" x 12" x 18" zippered package. I can't remember if it came in a box or a plastic bag.wrapping. It's compact. Much easier to handle then foam.

I knew you had the Dream Coil pad, but you had asked about a carpet pad, so I assumed you meant that. When it arrives, try the CuddleBed over the DreamCoil and see how that feels. I definitely don't have any hip or shoulder pain when I lay on my side. And, yet it's not so soft that it causes my lower back to sink in. So far, so good!

jimsocal wrote:
Yes, I got an order confirmation from CostCo. I couldn't believe they only charged under $3 for the shipping. They must squish it up and send it in a small package, I guess?
(the cuddlebed ulitimate I mean). Seems strange that you have to be a member to shop in the store, but not online. I'd rather shop online, anyway. But we never used CostCo for
groceries because it was too far from our home and we don't buy a lot of stuff they sell in bulk, anyway.

I have one of the Dream Coil toppers already and it's too firm for me as a topper. I might try it underneath a softer topper. It might work that way.
Tonight I am trying my 3/4" latex under a 3/4" convoluted memory foam. Just laying on it, it feels too firm for me. I'll know about 4-5 hours after I fall asleep. About then is when I
usually wake up with a sore back or discomfort in my shoulders if my topper(s) are too firm.

The past 2 nights I had my doubled-up wool topper under me as a topper and it felt real good but the 2nd night it began to bother my lower back (due to lack of support, I presume).

At least I seem to have a good combination of my 1" x two HR cores over the springs, now.
This message was modified Mar 6, 2008 by BeddyBye
Reply #24 Mar 7, 2008 12:25 AM
BeddyBye wrote:
Reply #23 Today 11:15 am Edit Quote

Okay, then you're good to go. I hope you like it! I just love the way it cradles my body without causing me to sink in (as with a feather or thick fiberbed.)

I'm not sure why some sites can get away with cheap shipping. Same with Overstock.com. We don't buy many groceries at Costco, either. Only 3 of us at home now. I do buy certain items that can be frozen. I'm curious, why do you spell it CostCo? :) At least you can return it locally, if need be. I have the King size CuddleBed Ultimate and it's in a 15" x 12" x 18" zippered package. I can't remember if it came in a box or a plastic bag.wrapping. It's compact. Much easier to handle then foam.

I knew you had the Dream Coil pad, but you had asked about a carpet pad, so I assumed you meant that. When it arrives, try the CuddleBed over the DreamCoil and see how that feels. I definitely don't have any hip or shoulder pain when I lay on my side. And, yet it's not so soft that it causes my lower back to sink in. So far, so good!

I'm looking forward to trying the CuddleBed pad. I feel like I am getting close to having a mattress I can sleep decent with. I don't expect to have no pain because my back and shoulders are REALLY tweaked. (When I go to a chiro or a masseuse they always feel my back and shoulders and say something like "Man! You really have a lot of knots in your muscles!", and it's true I can feel them; but can't seem to get rid of them.) Anyway, so I live with pain, but some combinations of my mattress are better than others. If I can just get it "as good as it can be" I'll be content.

Last night I used my 3" of various extra-firm to med-firm HR foam over springs with a 3/4" soft (24ild?) latex on top of that and a 3/4" memory foam on top of the latex and though I thought it felt too firm when I layed on it, actually I slept pretty good. Often times though my experience changes after a 2nd or 3rd night, so I'll wait to pass final judgment on this combination.

Not sure how long Costco (no reason why I wrote CostCo; I just thought thats how they wrote it) will take to get the topper to me, but as soon as I get it I'll try it. If it doesn't feel good right away I have like 6 different toppers to try under it, the DreamCoil being one. Thanks for the tip on the CuddleBed.

Reply #25 Mar 7, 2008 12:59 AM
BeddyBye, I'm glad the DreamCoil is working out for you. Your whole set up sounds pretty dreamy with the Cuddle Bed and all. I'm so tempted to order one from Costco, but our mattress is already so tall with the toppers, we'd need a step stool to get into bed, and I doubt our sheets would fit over it...

I'm going to try the DreamCoil again once we make it down to the foam store to get a piece of firm/medium firm HR foam for under it. Right now we are sleeping so well with the Thermarest/Brylane topper/wool pad combo, I don't have a lot of motivation to take it all apart.
Reply #26 Mar 7, 2008 1:40 AM
Kim, What is the Thermarest that is under your soft Brylane Topper?  I am glad you got your bed to be comfortable for you.

I am still up since  I am not feeling weel with a scratchy throat and a bad headache. I need to go to sleep but I thought first I would check my email and and read up on Yahoo how the market is doing to be ahead of my clients and to know what is happening in the world and to get sleepy since watching TV was just stimulating me.  I am glad someone else is keeping their Brylane topper and making it work out.

Well off to bed I go and I guess I should go back to reading in bed since watching TV is just stimulating me and not allowing me to relax from working all day and night since my part-time employee comes in at night.

Reply #27 Mar 7, 2008 2:12 AM
jimsocal, I'm glad you're finding some comfortable combinations. I can relate to what you said about your experience changing after a few nights on something that initially felt good. And, that's the beauty of being able to tweak our mattresses. I don't ever want to be stuck with something I can't change around to suit my needs.

Yeah, I know what you mean about sore backs and muscles no matter WHAT mattress we sleep on. We just learn to live with it and, hopefully, find something comfortable in the meantime. I hope you like the CuddleBed. If you don't...well, I'll understand!

jimsocal wrote:
I'm looking forward to trying the CuddleBed pad. I feel like I am getting close to having a mattress I can sleep decent with. I don't expect to have no pain because my back and shoulders are REALLY tweaked. (When I go to a chiro or a masseuse they always feel my back and shoulders and say something like &quot;Man! You really have a lot of knots in your muscles!&quot;, and it's true I can feel them; but can't seem to get rid of them.) Anyway, so I live with pain, but some combinations of my mattress are better than others. If I can just get it &quot;as good as it can be&quot; I'll be content.</p><p>Last night I used my 3&quot; of various extra-firm to med-firm HR foam over springs with a 3/4&quot; soft (24ild?) latex on top of that and a 3/4&quot; memory foam on top of the latex and though I thought it felt too firm when I layed on it, actually I slept pretty good. Often times though my experience changes after a 2nd or 3rd night, so I'll wait to pass final judgment on this combination.</p><p>Not sure how long Costco (no reason why I wrote CostCo; I just thought thats how they wrote it) will take to get the topper to me, but as soon as I get it I'll try it. If it doesn't feel good right away I have like 6 different toppers to try under it, the DreamCoil being one. Thanks for the tip on the CuddleBed.
Reply #28 Mar 7, 2008 2:23 AM
I know what you mean about having your bed too high! When I had all those toppers on it, I actually did go out and buy a step stool! But, since taking them off, I can finally get into bed without taking a running leap from across the room! Even with the Dream Coil on it's not too bad. I do have to stretch a little more to get into bed, but that's probably good for me anyway!

And, I can relate to not wanting to take something apart that you finally got to a place that feels good! I almost didn't add the DreamCoil for that reason. But at least I didn't have to actually take my mattress apart.

kimmcgov wrote:
BeddyBye, I'm glad the DreamCoil is working out for you. Your whole set up sounds pretty dreamy with the Cuddle Bed and all. I'm so tempted to order one from Costco, but our mattress is already so tall with the toppers, we'd need a step stool to get into bed, and I doubt our sheets would fit over it...<BR><BR>I'm going to try the DreamCoil again once we make it down to the foam store to get a piece of firm/medium firm HR foam for under it. Right now we are sleeping so well with the Thermarest/Brylane topper/wool pad combo, I don't have a lot of motivation to take it all apart.

Recent Posts