Have you tried the Dream Coil topper yet?
Feb 29, 2008 12:26 AM
I can't remember who ordered the Carpenter Dream Coil PU topper from Penneys besides me. I'm wondering if you had a chance to try it out. If so, how did you like it...or not? Mine is still in the package. I just haven't felt like adding another topper to my mattress right now. It's been feeling too good to mess with it! :) But, I don't think I'll take it back. If I don't end up using it on top of our bed, I can either cut it and use it inside, or maybe as a camping pad. I think my back will respond better to a PU foam topper vs. memory foam or latex.
Re: Have you tried the Dream Coil topper yet?
Reply #1 Feb 29, 2008 4:47 PM
BeddyBye,

I also bought the Dream Coil topper. I did try it out and it felt pretty good but I need to try it again with a slightly firmer layer underneath.

Right now we are back on the 1 inch Brylane latex topper. This was also too soft alone on the mattress, but we have been experimenting with whatever we have around the house and have been using our Thermarest camping pads as a temporary topper. These are self-inflating pads, that you can get from REI or any outdoor store, that have a layer of closed-cell foam inside. They only need a few puffs to get them pretty firm then you can let out the air to dial them in to your desired softness. It's a kind of poor man's Sleep By Numbers ;-)

With the Brylane topper, it's been the comfiest set up so far. I need to take one of the pads down to our local foam store and try to match up the firmness of it with a piece of PU foam though. The pads are only 27 inches wide (although they do come 30 inches wide), and don't quite cover the queen size bed. With a nozzle sticking out, it feels a little "makeshift".

I'll try the Dream Coil topper again when I get some firm foam for underneath. In any case, I also think I'll keep it -- on top of the Thermarests it will make for a pretty cushy camping set up.
Reply #2 Feb 29, 2008 10:08 PM
Okay! I thought it might by you who bought it around the same time I did. I was hoping that the Dream Coil would be a bit firmer than the Brylane latex. As you know, I promptly returned that without even sleeping on it. I just knew it was going to be too soft on my back. But, are you saying that the Dream Coil is as soft as that? The thing that bothered me about the Brylane (and all soft latex) is how they jiggle when I move. I like something a little more steady feeling. I don't like to feel as if my hips are sinking in and it would be an effort to turn. Or my lower back would do the same thing and I would awaken with pain. I liked the pad that was on my mattress when I was in the hospital. It wasn't memory foam, nor do I think it was latex. Probably PU and maybe even that GEO foam or whatever it's called. Anyway, I guess I should try out the Dream Coil for myself, right? :-)

Thanks again and good luck with whatever ends up working the best for you.

kimmcgov wrote:
BeddyBye, <BR><BR>I also bought the Dream Coil topper. I did try it out and it felt pretty good but I need to try it again with a slightly firmer layer underneath. <BR><BR>Right now we are back on the 1 inch Brylane latex topper. This was also too soft alone on the mattress, but we have been experimenting with whatever we have around the house and have been using our Thermarest camping pads as a temporary topper. These are self-inflating pads, that you can get from REI or any outdoor store, that have a layer of closed-cell foam inside. They only need a few puffs to get them pretty firm then you can let out the air to dial them in to your desired softness. It's a kind of poor man's Sleep By Numbers ;-)<BR><BR>With the Brylane topper, it's been the comfiest set up so far. I need to take one of the pads down to our local foam store and try to match up the firmness of it with a piece of PU foam though. The pads are only 27 inches wide (although they do come 30 inches wide), and don't quite cover the queen size bed. With a nozzle sticking out, it feels a little &quot;makeshift&quot;.<BR><BR>I'll try the Dream Coil topper again when I get some firm foam for underneath. In any case, I also think I'll keep it -- on top of the Thermarests it will make for a pretty cushy camping set up.
Reply #3 Feb 29, 2008 11:05 PM
I like the Bylane Topper over very firm Latex (39 ILD) over firmer latex cores underneath and a slat box.  I still want one more 39 ILD to put under the 39 ILd over the 44 ILD rather than the 36 ILD I have now. This set up makes the 1" latex topper feel cushy but supportive.  It was way too soft giving me back pain when it was on top of a 34.2 ILD latex core over the 39 ILD latex core over the 44 ILD latex core.

I still can't understand how anyone can sleep on top of polyurethane but I guess you do not have allergies to it like I do so that is not an issue.

Please let us all know how the Dream Coil Topper is after more time for others without allergies.

Reply #4 Mar 1, 2008 12:43 AM
BeddyBye wrote:
Okay! I thought it might by you who bought it around the same time I did. I was hoping that the Dream Coil would be a bit firmer than the Brylane latex. As you know, I promptly returned that without even sleeping on it. I just knew it was going to be too soft on my back. But, are you saying that the Dream Coil is as soft as that?

The Dream Coil is not as soft as the Brylane topper. The first night we tried it, I felt that it might be the perfect thing, but then my back started hurting again. It's mostly because it needs a slightly firmer surface beneath and I will try it again, but right now I'm so sick of making and unmaking the bed every time I experiment with something different.

You should definitely try it. Give it a good airing out first, though, as it had quite a strong oder right out of the plastic package. I'll be interested to know what you think of it.
Reply #5 Mar 1, 2008 1:46 AM
I know what you mean about being sick of making and remaking the bed each time you try a new configuration. It's exhausting! You would think we would fall right into bed after that, all tuckered out. :) No such luck. Usually a back ache is just exacerbated. Sigh. I think that's one of the reasons I'm procrastinating about trying out the Dream Coil topper. At least it doesn't involved unzipping my mattress and taking THAT apart. But, since my mattress is feeling pretty darn good now, that's another reason I'm in no huge rush to try out the topper yet. One of these days I'll unpack it and stick it on the bed! I'm glad it's not as soft as the Brylane.

kimmcgov wrote:
The Dream Coil is not as soft as the Brylane topper. The first night we tried it, I felt that it might be the perfect thing, but then my back started hurting again. It's mostly because it needs a slightly firmer surface beneath and I will try it again, but right now I'm so sick of making and unmaking the bed every time I experiment with something different.<BR><BR>You should definitely try it. Give it a good airing out first, though, as it had quite a strong oder right out of the plastic package. I'll be interested to know what you think of it.
This message was modified Mar 1, 2008 by BeddyBye
Reply #6 Mar 1, 2008 3:10 PM
BeddyBye wrote:
I know what you mean about being sick of making and remaking the bed each time you try a new configuration. It's exhausting! You would think we would fall right into bed after that, all tuckered out. :) No such luck. Usually a back ache is just exacerbated. Sigh. I think that's one of the reasons I'm procrastinating about trying out the Dream Coil topper. At least it doesn't involved unzipping my mattress and taking THAT apart. But, since my mattress is feeling pretty darn good now, that's another reason I'm in no huge rush to try out the topper yet. One of these days I'll unpack it and stick it on the bed! I'm glad it's not as soft as the Brylane.

kimmcgov wrote:
...right now I'm so sick of making and unmaking the bed every time I experiment with something different.<BR><BR>You should definitely try it. Give it a good airing out first, though, as it had quite a strong oder right out of the plastic package. I'll be interested to know what you think of it.

LOL! Me, too! I'm re-making my mattress about every single day! My back and shoulders have been killing me and I am just trying to get it better...

Let me know if you try the JCP topper. I have some gift cards from there and would buy one of their toppers if I thought it would be different than the collection of thins I have. This is the one with the PU bottom AND latex  top, that you are talking about at JCP?

This is what I currently have:
- 2 x 3/4 latex toppers. I am not sure of the ILD but I think they are maybe 24 or so. Even though they are soft, they don't feel soft enough - maybe it's the "pushing back" feeling.
- a 1" egg crate type pu topper which actually is not as soft as I wish it was!
- some reach soft PU foam that came out of the Sealy (actually I am trying one of these as a topper tonight because the egg crate pu is not as soft as I'd like. I think I might have something like fibromyalgia because what I've read about it, people seem to find nothing that is soft enough. That's how I feel. I want the softness, yet my back can't take too much softness!
- a 3/4" memory foam which also is not as soft as I'd like, or maybe not thick and soft enough.

I'm thinking maybe a 3lb x 1-and-1/2" memory foam might help me out. But all I have is a 3" of such and it's too unsupportive for my back.
Reply #7 Mar 1, 2008 3:52 PM
Jim, I ordered the zoned latex topper you mention from JCP as well as the PU Dream Coil topper. It is maybe 1.5 inches of convoluted/egg crate PU foam with a half inch of latex laminated on top. It seemed kind of soft directly on the mattress, but with a firmer layer, I'll try it again. All of these toppers need a slightly firmer base -- for my comfort level anyway. It could be just right for you though, along with perhaps one of your latex pieces.

A word of warning though: the PU foam is also perforated and some of the cores from the holes and little pieces of foam were still in the topper waiting to fall out and fly all over our bedroom when I took it out of the package. So take it out and shake it out outside or somewhere you won't mind getting bits of "foam fluff" all over the place...

I'm not sure what kind of latex this topper has. It looks quite different from the Brylane topper. The latex on the JCP topper is more buttery looking and feeling, while the Brylane topper (which I know is Talalay) is dryer and spongier looking. If you order it, I'd be interested in knowing what you think it is (Dunlop, maybe, or all natural?).
Reply #8 Mar 1, 2008 6:05 PM
Last night was the first time in awhile that I've tossed and turned in pain. Not sure why. I walked my dogs for two hours yesterday and stretched. But if anything, you'd think that would be better for my back. I noticed one thing---I took part in this 3 week study (9 visits) at Curves so I was doing some moderate exercise every other day. Even though my sacroiliac would often hurt while I was on the machines...I noticed later the benefits from the exercise seemed to help. I wasn't in as much chronic pain. Hmmmmm...do you THINK it might be a good idea to move this ol' bod around some more and stop blaming the mattress? ME thinks so! :) Seriously, I'm only 57 and I can remember my grandmother at age 91 being more limber than me! I need to pay heed.

kimmcgov wrote:
The Dream Coil is not as soft as the Brylane topper. The first night we tried it, I felt that it might be the perfect thing, but then my back started hurting again. It's mostly because it needs a slightly firmer surface beneath and I will try it again, but right now I'm so sick of making and unmaking the bed every time I experiment with something different.<BR><BR>You should definitely try it. Give it a good airing out first, though, as it had quite a strong oder right out of the plastic package. I'll be interested to know what you think of it.
Reply #9 Mar 2, 2008 12:22 AM
Well, I needed to change the sheets today so I went ahead and put the Carpenter Dream Coil topper on. I'm not sure if my side of the bed will be too soft for it, but I'll find out tonight. My husband's configuration is a bit firmer and might be a better match. We'll see!

The inside of his mattress is from the bottom up:

LuraFlex coils surrounded by a high density firm PU foam edge

55 ILD 3/4" HR PU foam
45 ILD 3/4" HR PU foam
44 ILD talalay latex 1 inch

Zippered quilted cover with fiberfil

My mattress:

LuraFlex coils surrounded by high density firm PU edge

55ILD 3/4" HR PU foam
32 ILD talalay latex 1 inch

I'll see how it goes tonight and I may just exchange a 32 ILD latex for a 44 ILD and leave the 55 ILD PU foam in as the base. Or I could do the same configuration as my husband's, but would prefer to stay with 2" of latex if I can. I'll report back.

By the way, what type of feel would I get if I were to put the 44 ILD on TOP of the 32 ILD latex, as opposed to the other way around? I know Lynn might have mentioned doing it that way.
This message was modified Mar 2, 2008 by BeddyBye
Re: Have you tried the Dream Coil topper yet? I finally did and I liked it!
Reply #10 Mar 2, 2008 2:41 PM
I slept on the Dream Coil last night and as of now, I'm giving it a two thumbs up. I didn't even have to configure my mattress to make it firmer, either. I like the more stable feel of this pad compared to the way latex feels under my body. It didn't feel jiggly-bouncy or marshmallow-squishy like latex and memory foam do. It just felt "right there". I think my body prefers the feel of HR PU foam on its back vs. latex and memory foam. And, it's not so thick that it caused me to sink in too much. I also liked the fact that it didn't feel like a separate topper. Instead, it felt like it was part of my mattress. And having a King size is nice to lay over our two XL Twin mattresses to tie it together even more. I put my CuddleBed Ultimate fiber mattress topper over it. What a great combination!

So, I'm going to keep it on and see how it goes. I wonder if Carpenter stands behind its claim that this pad won't go flat. Must be the Omalon which is used in rug pads. I can handle that!

Also, the smell of it coming out of the package didn't bother me at all. It doesn't have that nasty, toxic odor that I find with memory foam. But, I realize some people are more sensitive than others.
This message was modified Mar 2, 2008 by BeddyBye
Reply #11 Mar 2, 2008 10:05 PM
BeddyBye wrote:
Well, I needed to change the sheets today so I went ahead and put the Carpenter Dream Coil topper on. I'm not sure if my side of the bed will be too soft for it, but I'll find out tonight. My husband's configuration is a bit firmer and might be a better match. We'll see!

The inside of his mattress is from the bottom up:

LuraFlex coils surrounded by a high density firm PU foam edge

55 ILD 3/4" HR PU foam
45 ILD 3/4" HR PU foam
44 ILD talalay latex 1 inch

My mattress:

LuraFlex coils surrounded by high density firm PU edge

55ILD 3/4" HR PU foam

I'll see how it goes tonight and I may just exchange a 32 ILD latex for a 44 ILD and leave the 55 ILD PU foam in as the base. Or I could do the same configuration as my husband's, but would prefer to stay with 2" of latex if I can. I'll report back.

By the way, what type of feel would I get if I were to put the 44 ILD on TOP of the 32 ILD latex, as opposed to the other way around? I know Lynn might have mentioned doing it that way.

Wow, your husband's bed must be like a rock! That would kill me. (Glad to know another couple who have twins side by side as we do. I think people think it's weird but my wife has restless leg syndrome AND is always hot where I am always cold, so sleeping in the same bed with the same covers just doesn't work for us.)

As to the feel of the 44ILD on top of the 32 ILD, I found that sometimes this type of combination can improve the feel. The guy at flobeds years ago had us try something like this. It's worth a try.

The CuddleBed Ultimate fiber mattress  you speak of - it appears to not be available at CostCo any more. But  this one says it is polyester filled- is that the same thing you have?  http://tinyurl.com/yvdocm

This message was modified Mar 2, 2008 by jimsocal
Reply #12 Mar 3, 2008 1:37 AM
Actually, it's not that hard at all. Comfortably firm. And with the CuddleBed fiber topper, it makes it even nicer.

I still see it at Costco. It's on sale, too, through March 9. Here's the link:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11189730&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|62415|28683|492&N=4018505&Mo=18&pos=2&No=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=492&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC14142-Cat28683&topnav=

Our twin mattresses are inside a King frame and we have the same bedding on both. King size sheets, blankets, comforter, etc. So even though we each have our own XL Twin mattress, everything else is shared. I stay on my own side, though. And, likewise for him. He's fast asleep by the time I get to bed! Also, besides the pillow under my head, I have one pushed against my back and under my knees when I'm laying on my side. I would feel lost without them. Romantic, eh! :-)

I might have to give that 44 ILD over the 32 ILD a try if I find my current configuration won't work.

jimsocal wrote:
Wow, your husband's bed must be like a rock! That would kill me. (Glad to know another couple who have twins side by side as we do. I think people think it's weird but my wife has restless leg syndrome AND is always hot where I am always cold, so sleeping in the same bed with the same covers just doesn't work for us.)</p><p>As to the feel of the 44ILD on top of the 32 ILD, I found that sometimes this type of combination can improve the feel. The guy at flobeds years ago had us try something like this. It's worth a try.</p><p>The CuddleBed Ultimate fiber mattress  you speak of - it appears to not be available at CostCo any more. But  this one says it is polyester filled- is that the same thing you have?  <strong>http://tinyurl.com/yvdocm</strong></p><p><strong></strong>
Re: Have you tried the Dream Coil topper yet? I bought two more (XL TWINs are on sale!)
Reply #13 Mar 3, 2008 4:26 PM
I had another comfortable night on the Dream Coil mattress pad. I really like this thing!

In fact, I notice JC Penney only has one size left---XL Twin. It's on sale for $29.99. So, I bought two more with a $10 off promo. Actualy, I had ordered one with a 15% off coupon and then noticed the other promo. So I quickly called and the lady gave me BOTH coupon codes! That took off $19.00 from the order.

I figure I might try one INSIDE my mattress instead of one of my 32 ILD latex layers just to see if it makes a difference in the feel of my mattress. Heck, if I like it, I might do away with the latex altogether! After all, these are guaranteed by Carpenter to never go flat--a lifetime warranty. We'll see how I like the way it feels inside. I honestly think I like the feel of HR PU better on my back than I do latex, for the most part. I'm NOT talking about memory foam or those cheap, eggcrate toppers. But, maybe the combination of one inch of talalay latex and the Dream Coil inside my mattress with another Dream Coil as a topper will be the match made in heaven. We shall see! I can always use it for the inside of my husband's mattress if need be. Or as a topper for my daughter's bed. Either way, I think I got a good deal.

I highly recommend it for someone who wants to use a nice layer of PU foam inside their mattress configuration.
Reply #14 Mar 4, 2008 5:39 AM
Seems like they are pretty much sold out so I guess it's a moot point, but what kind of foam is it made out of? Sounds like some kind of HR if it doesn't flatten out. I think there's a lot to be said for HR foam. It's very flexible in how it can be used, it lasts a long time without softening up and developing body impressions and it's both supportive and passive, which makes it easy to sleep on for people with lumbar issues or other conditions.

I still think the latex on your bed is contributing to your back pain, so you may well find that replacing a layer of it with the Dream Coil is more comfortable for you.

Reply #15 Mar 4, 2008 2:24 PM
Here is Carpenter's website explaining the Dream Coil and Omalon (what it's made of:) I notice that Omalon is also used in 6" cores for certain types of mattresses, often the base used under memory foams and air-beds. It looks like it comes in different densities. Obviously, the pad I have is on the softer side for comfort. But nothing like latex or memory foam!

http://www.carpenter.com/Divisions/bedding_omalon.htm

http://www.carpenter.com/Divisions/consumerprod_foam.htm

As for the latex inside my bed...as long as it's just that---INSIDE, and in minimal amount. I found that I cannot use it as a topper. I also need the HR PU base, as well as the LuraFlex coil springs. I wouldn't a good candidate for an all-latex mattress kit or otherwise. I NEED my springs and some high density HR PU foam. As it is now, with the Dream Coil on top, I rather like the way the two 32 ILD latex layers (total of 2") feel INSIDE my mattress. I might exchange one layer for the XL Twin Dream Coil pad when it arrives. But, for now, this seems to be a great combination. I woke up today feeling just as refreshed as I have the last few nights. In fact, this morning, I lay there savoring the unique, comfortable and supportive texture of the Dream Coil pad underneath my body. VERY nice!

cloud9 wrote:
Seems like they are pretty much sold out so I guess it's a moot point, but what kind of foam is it made out of? Sounds like some kind of HR if it doesn't flatten out. I think there's a lot to be said for HR foam. It's very flexible in how it can be used, it lasts a long time without softening up and developing body impressions and it's both supportive and passive, which makes it easy to sleep on for people with lumbar issues or other conditions. </p><p>I still think the latex on your bed is contributing to your back pain, so you may well find that replacing a layer of it with the Dream Coil is more comfortable for you.
Reply #16 Mar 4, 2008 7:05 PM
BeddyBye wrote:
Actually, it's not that hard at all. Comfortably firm. And with the CuddleBed fiber topper, it makes it even nicer.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11189730&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|62415|28683|492&N=4018505&Mo=18&pos=2&No=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=492&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC14142-Cat28683&topnav=

Our twin mattresses are inside a King frame and we have the same bedding on both. King size sheets, blankets, comforter, etc. So even though we each have our own XL Twin mattress, everything else is shared. I stay on my own side, though. And, likewise for him. He's fast asleep by the time I get to bed! Also, besides the pillow under my head, I have one pushed against my back and under my knees when I'm laying on my side. I would feel lost without them. Romantic, eh! :-)

I might have to give that 44 ILD over the 32 ILD a try if I find my current configuration won't work.

Actually, I have one of these! Bought it years ago! I just didn't realize what it was called until I looked at your link. I remember buying it at JCP now.  And no, it has not gone flat
(though I've had it stored away mostly.) It's in our collection of "toppers".

For me it's too hard for a topper. Maybe under the fibre cushion as you are using it, it might be fine, but I can't sleep right on top of it, it's too hard for me that way.

I might give it another chance under my wool topper. Last night I slept with just my 2" wool topper doubled up on top of my hr foam and that was pretty good. The night before I had
the wool topper AND the mattress top topper (which I cut off the top of the mattress) and the two of those together was way too much softness and my lower back killed me the next
morning.

Reply #17 Mar 4, 2008 10:29 PM
You have the Dream Coil mattress pad? At first I thought you meant the Cuddlebed Ultimate!

Maybe that does make the Dream Coil a bit softer. I don't know. I'm not going to try it, either! :) "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" LOL

This morning I woke up PAIN FREE! And, I even managed to go all day without my sacroiliac bothering me. Oh, I realize that with a chronic pain like that, it comes and goes. But, at least at the moment I'm not going to blame my mattress or the Dream Coil. :)

jimsocal wrote:
Actually, I have one of these! Bought it years ago! I just didn't realize what it was called until I looked at your link. I remember buying it at JCP now.  And no, it has not gone flat <BR>(though I've had it stored away mostly.) It's in our collection of &quot;toppers&quot;. </p><p>For me it's too hard for a topper. Maybe under the fibre cushion as you are using it, it might be fine, but I can't sleep right on top of it, it's too hard for me that way.</p><p>I might give it another chance under my wool topper. Last night I slept with just my 2&quot; wool topper doubled up on top of my hr foam and that was pretty good. The night before I had <BR>the wool topper AND the mattress top topper (which I cut off the top of the mattress) and the two of those together was way too much softness and my lower back killed me the next<BR>morning.
Reply #18 Mar 5, 2008 5:34 AM
BeddyBye, thanks for the Omalon link. Sounds really interesting. Now I'm sorry I missed my chance to order one while they still had my size. I just figured I  had a closet full of foam I'm not using at the moment and this would just be another addtion to the collection. It looks really cool too.

Someone mentioned carpet padding, and I wonder if the topper is the same as the Omalon carpet pad, only prettier. I'm always looking for a way to make the mattress a little more rigid without making it quite as hard as the carpet remnant does. Now I'm REALLY jealous of your mattress!

Reply #19 Mar 5, 2008 5:08 PM
LOL. I have to laugh because there are times when I get into bed and I think, "I sure wish some of these folks on the mattress forum could come over and try this out for themselves!" :)

As for this Omalon mattress pad being like a carpet pad, it seems a bit softer, although still very supportive. Maybe it's because of the varied convoluted zones. I wouldn't want to walk on it! :) Also, a carpet pad seems thinner and more compressed. But, the Omalon definitely acts the same way in both types of pads. It doesn't go flat! Yay!

Maybe Penneys will bring back more sizes. I wonder why they're not sold at places like Overstock.com and Brylane. Or maybe Carpenter is bringing out a newer "model". Can you get two XL Twins and put them together or cut them to fit?

cloud9 wrote:
<strong>BeddyBye,</strong> thanks for the Omalon link. Sounds really interesting. Now I'm sorry I missed my chance to order one while they still had my size. I just figured I had a closet full of foam I'm not using at the moment and this would just be another addtion to the collection. It looks really cool too.</p><p>Someone mentioned carpet padding, and I wonder if the topper is the same as the Omalon carpet pad, only prettier. I'm always looking for a way to make the mattress a little more rigid without making it quite as hard as the carpet remnant does. Now I'm REALLY jealous of your mattress!
This message was modified Mar 5, 2008 by BeddyBye
Reply #20 Mar 5, 2008 7:34 PM
BeddyBye wrote:

Don't you have to have a CostCo card to buy from the CostCo web site?
I went to the link and liked what I saw so I put it in the "shopping cart".
It never asked for a membership # so I went through with the order process and received confirmation that they accepted my order and my bank account was charged.
I USED TO have a CostCo account, about 4 years ago, when we bought the Sealys. But I never renewed after that.
I was surprised the order seems to have gone through anyway. Maybe because I have an "account" on line with them? Still , you'd think they'd have it fixed to come up
with a membership number request...
Hmmmm. I wonder if I'll actually get this order...

One more thing... As to this "carpet pad" you use. Where did you get it, how thick is it? And what is it made out of?
Reply #21 Mar 6, 2008 12:36 AM
jimsocal,

I don't believe they ever asked me for my membership card number. II don't think you need to be a member to purchase online. I've ordered two of the CuddleBed Ultimates and I honestly don't recall giving my number. In fact, I know I didn't. I didn't even use my Costco card. I used my Visa. Did they send you an order confirmation?

Are you talking about the Carpenter Dream Coil mattress pad (made from Omalon)? It's not a carpet pad, however, Omalon is USED in carpet pads. Different densities and different for bedding, I'm sure. This is a 2.2 lb. density. I bought a King size at JCPenney a couple weeks ago, but now all they seem to have is the XL Twin for $29.99. If you use various coupons you can bring the price down. I just bought two of them. They might be good for the inside of my mattresses. Here is the link:

http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/ProductsHOM.aspx?DeptID=25436&CatID=30743&CatTyp=DEP&ItemTyp=G&GrpTyp=STY&ItemID=1126e08&ProdSeq=9&Cat=foam+toppers&Dep=Bed+%2b+Bath&PCat=Pillows+%2b+Pads&PCatID=28950&RefPage=ProductList&Sale=&ProdCount=12&RecPtr=&ShowMenu=&TTYP=&ShopBy=0&RefPageName=CategoryAll%252Easpx&RefCatID=28950&RefDeptID=25436&Page=2&CmCatId=25436|28950|30743

jimsocal wrote:
Don't you have to have a CostCo card to buy from the CostCo web site?<BR>I went to the link and liked what I saw so I put it in the &quot;shopping cart&quot;. <BR>It never asked for a membership # so I went through with the order process and received confirmation that they accepted my order and my bank account was charged.<BR>I USED TO have a CostCo account, about 4 years ago, when we bought the Sealys. But I never renewed after that.<BR>I was surprised the order seems to have gone through anyway. Maybe because I have an &quot;account&quot; on line with them? Still , you'd think they'd have it fixed to come up <BR>with a membership number request...<BR>Hmmmm. I wonder if I'll actually get this order...<BR><BR>One more thing... As to this &quot;carpet pad&quot; you use. Where did you get it, how thick is it? And what is it made out of?
Reply #22 Mar 6, 2008 2:30 AM
BeddyBye wrote:
jimsocal,

I don't believe they ever asked me for my membership card number. II don't think you need to be a member to purchase online. I've ordered two of the CuddleBed Ultimates and I honestly don't recall giving my number. In fact, I know I didn't. I didn't even use my Costco card. I used my Visa. Did they send you an order confirmation?

Are you talking about the Carpenter Dream Coil mattress pad (made from Omalon)? It's not a carpet pad, however, Omalon is USED in carpet pads. Different densities and different for bedding, I'm sure. This is a 2.2 lb. density. I bought a King size at JCPenney a couple weeks ago, but now all they seem to have is the XL Twin for $29.99. If you use various coupons you can bring the price down. I just bought two of them. They might be good for the inside of my mattresses. Here is the link:

http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/ProductsHOM.aspx?DeptID=25436&CatID=30743&CatTyp=DEP&ItemTyp=G&GrpTyp=STY&ItemID=1126e08&ProdSeq=9&Cat=foam+toppers&Dep=Bed+%2b+Bath&PCat=Pillows+%2b+Pads&PCatID=28950&RefPage=ProductList&Sale=&ProdCount=12&RecPtr=&ShowMenu=&TTYP=&ShopBy=0&RefPageName=CategoryAll%252Easpx&RefCatID=28950&RefDeptID=25436&Page=2&CmCatId=25436|28950|30743

Yes, I got an order confirmation from CostCo. I couldn't believe they only charged under $3 for the shipping. They must squish it up and send it in a small package, I guess?
(the cuddlebed ulitimate I mean). Seems strange that you have to be a member to shop in the store, but not online. I'd rather shop online, anyway. But we never used CostCo for
groceries because it was too far from our home and we don't buy a lot of stuff they sell in bulk, anyway.

I have one of the Dream Coil toppers already and it's too firm for me as a topper. I might try it underneath a softer topper. It might work that way.
Tonight I am trying my 3/4" latex under a 3/4" convoluted memory foam. Just laying on it, it feels too firm for me. I'll know about 4-5 hours after I fall asleep. About then is when I
usually wake up with a sore back or discomfort in my shoulders if my topper(s) are too firm.

The past 2 nights I had my doubled-up wool topper under me as a topper and it felt real good but the 2nd night it began to bother my lower back (due to lack of support, I presume).

At least I seem to have a good combination of my 1" x two HR cores over the springs, now.
Reply #23 Mar 6, 2008 2:15 PM
Reply #23 Today 11:15 am Edit Quote

Okay, then you're good to go. I hope you like it! I just love the way it cradles my body without causing me to sink in (as with a feather or thick fiberbed.)

I'm not sure why some sites can get away with cheap shipping. Same with Overstock.com. We don't buy many groceries at Costco, either. Only 3 of us at home now. I do buy certain items that can be frozen. I'm curious, why do you spell it CostCo? :) At least you can return it locally, if need be. I have the King size CuddleBed Ultimate and it's in a 15" x 12" x 18" zippered package. I can't remember if it came in a box or a plastic bag.wrapping. It's compact. Much easier to handle then foam.

I knew you had the Dream Coil pad, but you had asked about a carpet pad, so I assumed you meant that. When it arrives, try the CuddleBed over the DreamCoil and see how that feels. I definitely don't have any hip or shoulder pain when I lay on my side. And, yet it's not so soft that it causes my lower back to sink in. So far, so good!

jimsocal wrote:
Yes, I got an order confirmation from CostCo. I couldn't believe they only charged under $3 for the shipping. They must squish it up and send it in a small package, I guess?
(the cuddlebed ulitimate I mean). Seems strange that you have to be a member to shop in the store, but not online. I'd rather shop online, anyway. But we never used CostCo for
groceries because it was too far from our home and we don't buy a lot of stuff they sell in bulk, anyway.

I have one of the Dream Coil toppers already and it's too firm for me as a topper. I might try it underneath a softer topper. It might work that way.
Tonight I am trying my 3/4" latex under a 3/4" convoluted memory foam. Just laying on it, it feels too firm for me. I'll know about 4-5 hours after I fall asleep. About then is when I
usually wake up with a sore back or discomfort in my shoulders if my topper(s) are too firm.

The past 2 nights I had my doubled-up wool topper under me as a topper and it felt real good but the 2nd night it began to bother my lower back (due to lack of support, I presume).

At least I seem to have a good combination of my 1" x two HR cores over the springs, now.
This message was modified Mar 6, 2008 by BeddyBye
Reply #24 Mar 7, 2008 12:25 AM
BeddyBye wrote:
Reply #23 Today 11:15 am Edit Quote

Okay, then you're good to go. I hope you like it! I just love the way it cradles my body without causing me to sink in (as with a feather or thick fiberbed.)

I'm not sure why some sites can get away with cheap shipping. Same with Overstock.com. We don't buy many groceries at Costco, either. Only 3 of us at home now. I do buy certain items that can be frozen. I'm curious, why do you spell it CostCo? :) At least you can return it locally, if need be. I have the King size CuddleBed Ultimate and it's in a 15" x 12" x 18" zippered package. I can't remember if it came in a box or a plastic bag.wrapping. It's compact. Much easier to handle then foam.

I knew you had the Dream Coil pad, but you had asked about a carpet pad, so I assumed you meant that. When it arrives, try the CuddleBed over the DreamCoil and see how that feels. I definitely don't have any hip or shoulder pain when I lay on my side. And, yet it's not so soft that it causes my lower back to sink in. So far, so good!

I'm looking forward to trying the CuddleBed pad. I feel like I am getting close to having a mattress I can sleep decent with. I don't expect to have no pain because my back and shoulders are REALLY tweaked. (When I go to a chiro or a masseuse they always feel my back and shoulders and say something like "Man! You really have a lot of knots in your muscles!", and it's true I can feel them; but can't seem to get rid of them.) Anyway, so I live with pain, but some combinations of my mattress are better than others. If I can just get it "as good as it can be" I'll be content.

Last night I used my 3" of various extra-firm to med-firm HR foam over springs with a 3/4" soft (24ild?) latex on top of that and a 3/4" memory foam on top of the latex and though I thought it felt too firm when I layed on it, actually I slept pretty good. Often times though my experience changes after a 2nd or 3rd night, so I'll wait to pass final judgment on this combination.

Not sure how long Costco (no reason why I wrote CostCo; I just thought thats how they wrote it) will take to get the topper to me, but as soon as I get it I'll try it. If it doesn't feel good right away I have like 6 different toppers to try under it, the DreamCoil being one. Thanks for the tip on the CuddleBed.

Reply #25 Mar 7, 2008 12:59 AM
BeddyBye, I'm glad the DreamCoil is working out for you. Your whole set up sounds pretty dreamy with the Cuddle Bed and all. I'm so tempted to order one from Costco, but our mattress is already so tall with the toppers, we'd need a step stool to get into bed, and I doubt our sheets would fit over it...

I'm going to try the DreamCoil again once we make it down to the foam store to get a piece of firm/medium firm HR foam for under it. Right now we are sleeping so well with the Thermarest/Brylane topper/wool pad combo, I don't have a lot of motivation to take it all apart.
Reply #26 Mar 7, 2008 1:40 AM
Kim, What is the Thermarest that is under your soft Brylane Topper?  I am glad you got your bed to be comfortable for you.

I am still up since  I am not feeling weel with a scratchy throat and a bad headache. I need to go to sleep but I thought first I would check my email and and read up on Yahoo how the market is doing to be ahead of my clients and to know what is happening in the world and to get sleepy since watching TV was just stimulating me.  I am glad someone else is keeping their Brylane topper and making it work out.

Well off to bed I go and I guess I should go back to reading in bed since watching TV is just stimulating me and not allowing me to relax from working all day and night since my part-time employee comes in at night.

Reply #27 Mar 7, 2008 2:12 AM
jimsocal, I'm glad you're finding some comfortable combinations. I can relate to what you said about your experience changing after a few nights on something that initially felt good. And, that's the beauty of being able to tweak our mattresses. I don't ever want to be stuck with something I can't change around to suit my needs.

Yeah, I know what you mean about sore backs and muscles no matter WHAT mattress we sleep on. We just learn to live with it and, hopefully, find something comfortable in the meantime. I hope you like the CuddleBed. If you don't...well, I'll understand!

jimsocal wrote:
I'm looking forward to trying the CuddleBed pad. I feel like I am getting close to having a mattress I can sleep decent with. I don't expect to have no pain because my back and shoulders are REALLY tweaked. (When I go to a chiro or a masseuse they always feel my back and shoulders and say something like &quot;Man! You really have a lot of knots in your muscles!&quot;, and it's true I can feel them; but can't seem to get rid of them.) Anyway, so I live with pain, but some combinations of my mattress are better than others. If I can just get it &quot;as good as it can be&quot; I'll be content.</p><p>Last night I used my 3&quot; of various extra-firm to med-firm HR foam over springs with a 3/4&quot; soft (24ild?) latex on top of that and a 3/4&quot; memory foam on top of the latex and though I thought it felt too firm when I layed on it, actually I slept pretty good. Often times though my experience changes after a 2nd or 3rd night, so I'll wait to pass final judgment on this combination.</p><p>Not sure how long Costco (no reason why I wrote CostCo; I just thought thats how they wrote it) will take to get the topper to me, but as soon as I get it I'll try it. If it doesn't feel good right away I have like 6 different toppers to try under it, the DreamCoil being one. Thanks for the tip on the CuddleBed.
Reply #28 Mar 7, 2008 2:23 AM
I know what you mean about having your bed too high! When I had all those toppers on it, I actually did go out and buy a step stool! But, since taking them off, I can finally get into bed without taking a running leap from across the room! Even with the Dream Coil on it's not too bad. I do have to stretch a little more to get into bed, but that's probably good for me anyway!

And, I can relate to not wanting to take something apart that you finally got to a place that feels good! I almost didn't add the DreamCoil for that reason. But at least I didn't have to actually take my mattress apart.

kimmcgov wrote:
BeddyBye, I'm glad the DreamCoil is working out for you. Your whole set up sounds pretty dreamy with the Cuddle Bed and all. I'm so tempted to order one from Costco, but our mattress is already so tall with the toppers, we'd need a step stool to get into bed, and I doubt our sheets would fit over it...<BR><BR>I'm going to try the DreamCoil again once we make it down to the foam store to get a piece of firm/medium firm HR foam for under it. Right now we are sleeping so well with the Thermarest/Brylane topper/wool pad combo, I don't have a lot of motivation to take it all apart.
Reply #29 Mar 7, 2008 8:54 PM
Before I had my FloBed with the 10" legs that is now just the right height for me, I had returned the Rockaway Bed that besides being very allergic to it, I found it way too soft (Simmns Rooosevelt Luxury Firm with a suede top over polyurethane/man made latex) and it was way too high for me and I hated having to jump to get on and off of it.  I love how I can put my shoes on at the end of my bed since it is low enough but looks tall enough to be grown-up looking with my Wesley Allen headboard.  Being that I am not quite 5 feet, the Simmons bed was just way too high up that I felt scared I would fall off of it. I also found I disliked having a metal frame with wheels since I had a platform bed for 14 years. That is another reason I love the stable secure legs of my FloBed that is attached to the Slatbox.  I just wish I got the Cottage White or the Antique Ivory color rather than the Rustic Ivory Color on my Maywood Headboard.
Reply #30 Mar 13, 2008 1:32 AM
I just can't stop raving about this Dream Coil topper! It really is true that it keeps its shape. No body impressions at all. I'm not sure if it's the combination of this topper and the CuddleBed or WHAT, but it sure suits my body! I just got the two XL Twin Dream Coil pad, as well. For now I'm storing them under the bed in the guestroom still in their packages. Maybe of one these days I'll try one inside my mattress just for the fun of it.

I highly recommend this! I know I have to stop gushing, but I just can't help myself. :)

Thanks for listening!
This message was modified Mar 13, 2008 by BeddyBye
Reply #31 Mar 31, 2008 11:58 PM
BeddyBye wrote:
I just can't stop raving about this Dream Coil topper! It really is true that it keeps its shape. No body impressions at all. I'm not sure if it's the combination of this topper and the CuddleBed or WHAT, but it sure suits my body! I just got the two XL Twin Dream Coil pad, as well. For now I'm storing them under the bed in the guestroom still in their packages. Maybe of one these days I'll try one inside my mattress just for the fun of it.

I highly recommend this! I know I have to stop gushing, but I just can't help myself. :)

Thanks for listening!

Reading this thread, I see that JC Penney still offers just the Twin XL for the Dream Coil, at a very reasonable $27. Probably because it's a closeout.

http://www5.jcpenney.com/jcp/Products.aspx?ItemID=1490455&ItemTyp=G&GrpTyp=STY&ShowMenu=T&ShopBy

JC Penney also offers something called "Peaceful Dreams Foam Mattress Pad" that I haven't seen mentioned here. It looks very similar to the Dream Coil, but is 2" thick and has a density of 1.2 lb versus 1.5"/ 2.2 lb density for the Dream Coil. It costs more, though, e.g., $70 for Queen size and $75 for King. But at least they have several different sizes. Although it's by Carpenter and looks just like the Dream Coil, there's no mention that it's "Omalon". It might be that it's "Viscolux" instead of Omalon. Anyway, I thought it was worth pointing out. I'd be tempted to order one, but I've already ordered a Brylane latex topper to hold me over until I get a new mattress for myself (my posts have been mostly about shopping for a mattress for my mother).  Still, I think this product from the maker of the Dream Coil is worth bringing up in this thread.

http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/ProductsHOM.aspx?DeptID=30743&CatID=30743&Grptyp=STY&ItemId=13d4a1e&siteID=210021988

http://shopping.msn.com/results/mattress-pads/bcatid4945/carpenter/2-4547941/forsale?text=category:mattress-pads+Brand:Carpenter

Some reviews at: http://www.buzzillions.com/dz_72673_peaceful_dreams_7_zone_visco_mattress_reviews

Philly888

This message was modified Apr 1, 2008 by Philly888
Reply #32 Apr 1, 2008 1:42 AM
The Peaceful Dreams Foam Mattress Pad only has a 3 year waranty compared to the Lifetime warranty on the Dream Coil. And, the density definitely makes it not as apt to hold its shape after awhile. It doesn't mention being Visco. Probably just another type of PU foam. It does look a lot like the Dream Coil though.

Philly888 wrote:
Reading this thread, I see that JC Penney still offers just the Twin XL for the Dream Coil, at a very reasonable $27. Probably because it's a closeout.</p><p>http://www5.jcpenney.com/jcp/Products.aspx?ItemID=1490455&amp;ItemTyp=G&amp;GrpTyp=STY&amp;ShowMenu=T&amp;ShopBy</p><p>JC Penney also offers something called &quot;Peaceful Dreams Foam Mattress Pad&quot; that I haven't seen mentioned here. It looks very similar to the Dream Coil, but is 2&quot; thick and has a density of 1.2 lb versus 1.5&quot;/ 2.2 lb density for the Dream Coil. It costs more, though, e.g., $70 for Queen size and $75 for King. But at least they have several different sizes. Although it's by Carpenter and looks just like the Dream Coil, there's no mention that it's &quot;Omalon&quot;. It might be that it's &quot;Viscolux&quot; instead of Omalon. Anyway, I thought it was worth pointing out. I'd be tempted to order one, but I've already ordered a Brylane latex topper to hold me over until I get a new mattress for myself (my posts have been mostly about shopping for a mattress for my mother).  Still, I think this product from the maker of the Dream Coil is worth bringing up in this thread.</p><p>http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/ProductsHOM.aspx?DeptID=30743&amp;CatID=30743&amp;Grptyp=STY&amp;ItemId=13d4a1e&amp;siteID=210021988</p><p>http://shopping.msn.com/results/mattress-pads/bcatid4945/carpenter/2-4547941/forsale?text=category:mattress-pads+Brand:Carpenter</p><p>Some reviews at: http://www.buzzillions.com/dz_72673_peaceful_dreams_7_zone_visco_mattress_reviews</p><p>Philly888</p><p> 
Reply #33 Apr 1, 2008 9:41 AM
BeddyBye wrote:
The Peaceful Dreams Foam Mattress Pad only has a 3 year waranty compared to the Lifetime warranty on the Dream Coil. And, the density definitely makes it not as apt to hold its shape after awhile. It doesn't mention being Visco. Probably just another type of PU foam. It does look a lot like the Dream Coil though.

I concluded that the Peaceful Dreams mattress pad was probably "Viscolux" after visiting Carpenter's website and the user review URL. Carpenter lists Viscolux as one of their trademark products and the review URL uses the word "Visco". The question is whether these two Carpenter products which *look* identical but are made of different types of PU foam are equally good. Too bad that they've apparently discontinued the lifetime warranty Dream Coil in favor of something that has only a 3 year warranty. You were smart to stock up on the Dream Coil.

http://www.carpenter.com/divisions/bedding/

http://www.buzzillions.com/dz_72673_peaceful_dreams_7_zone_visco_mattress_reviews

Philly888

Reply #34 Apr 1, 2008 9:49 AM
Thank you BeddyBye and Philly888 for bringing this up again. I had searched last week for the Dream Coil and it was off the Penneys website and then I did a google search and it was nowhere to be found. I then called Carpenter who said they are no longer making it! I was so disappointed because it seemed like the perfect topper to give a little extra support to my back and I didn't want memory foam.

Today I went to the site you all posted and to my surprise it is still there! Don't know why it's not on the regular JC Penney bedding page but I'm delighted to be able to order 2 extra long twins for my king bed. I can't wait to try them. I'll post a review after I get to sleep on them a few nights.

Sabra

Reply #35 Apr 1, 2008 9:59 AM
Sabra wrote:
Thank you BeddyBye and Philly888 for bringing this up again. I had searched last week for the Dream Coil and it was off the Penneys website and then I did a google search and it was nowhere to be found. I then called Carpenter who said they are no longer making it! I was so disappointed because it seemed like the perfect topper to give a little extra support to my back and I didn't want memory foam.

Today I went to the site you all posted and to my surprise it is still there! Don't know why it's not on the regular JC Penney bedding page but I'm delighted to be able to order 2 extra long twins for my king bed. I can't wait to try them. I'll post a review after I get to sleep on them a few nights.

Sabra

With JC Penney it usually pays to do a Google search on ... JC Penney coupon ... or something similar. You might be able to get a discount. If you've already ordered you can call customer service and get it applied (test a code out first on a new shopping cart).  It looks like MARSURVY is a good code - 15% off. BLOOMS gives 20% off on some other bedding items. BTW, the Dream Coil was one of a number of sleep products recommended by Sleep doctor Michael Breus on the Today Show's webite:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/21837885/page/2/

Philly888

This message was modified Apr 1, 2008 by Philly888
Reply #36 Apr 1, 2008 12:42 PM
Beddybye,

Did your Dream Coil topper actually go to the edges of your mattress or was it shorter on the sides and bottom like many that are on the market?

Sabra

Reply #37 Apr 2, 2008 2:51 AM
So you ordered them! I'm glad you were persistent!

Some people might not like the feel of the Dream Coil. I just happen to like that it keeps it's shape, but for some, it might be too firm compared to something like a soft latex or memory foam. Or even a cheaper PU foam. I just know that it works for me, so far! But, it also might depend on what you have UNDER it. Or in my case, OVER it (the CuddleBed Ultimate.)

I'll be anxious to see how it goes for you, Sabra.

Sabra wrote:
Thank you BeddyBye and Philly888 for bringing this up again. I had searched last week for the Dream Coil and it was off the Penneys website and then I did a google search and it was nowhere to be found. I then called Carpenter who said they are no longer making it! I was so disappointed because it seemed like the perfect topper to give a little extra support to my back and I didn't want memory foam. </p><p>Today I went to the site you all posted and to my surprise it is still there! Don't know why it's not on the regular JC Penney bedding page but I'm delighted to be able to order 2 extra long twins for my king bed. I can't wait to try them. I'll post a review after I get to sleep on them a few nights.</p><p>Sabra
Reply #38 Apr 2, 2008 2:55 AM
I notice it's a wee bit smaller than the mattress, but not by much. Of course, my latex layers cover everything from end to end and side to side. But the Dream Coil certainly is very close!

Sabra wrote:
Beddybye,</p><p>Did your Dream Coil topper actually go to the edges of your mattress or was it shorter on the sides and bottom like many that are on the market?</p><p>Sabra

Recent Posts