The FrankenBed
Sep 18, 2007 9:17 PM
Foam Nerd
    I initially called my creation the FrankenBed because it was made from "parts." The word is taking on a new meaning, as in, I am creating a monster.

The basic outline was a latex core, an Intelli-Gel topper from MyComfort, and something in between, possibly 2" of Foamex memory foam.

The first major piece to arrive (not counting the foundation on top of a set of Bed Beams), is the latex core. I'll get the Intelli-Gel topper on Monday or Tuesday.

I think I might already have a problem. I ordered an ILD 40 Talatech blend core, and I don't think it's going to be firm enough. I initially ordered a 44 but then changed my mind and went with a 40. I should have stayed with the 44. The core actually tested out at an average ILD of 37.8, but I'm not claiming the 2 points is what makes it too soft. Even on 3 2.8" layers, I can bottom out by sitting down on it hard. It's sitting on a concrete floor covered with carpet and I can definitely feel the floor. At the very least, I need to replace one of the ILD 38 layers, and possibly both.

I can't bottom out all 4 layers, but that's 11" of latex, and support-wise, it feels pretty soft. Laying on my back, it feels very firm, but it feels like my butt sinks down further than it should. In other words it's almost too soft AND too firm at the same time. Too soft for my butt but too firm for my shoulders.

Y'all can go ahead and laugh at me now for thinking I could save money by building my own mattress. Not happenin'. The best that can be said is that maybe my own mistakes can benefit others. I'm debating on what to do. I can be stubborn and order another core, or I can just admit that I made a bad decision and order a support  mattress from someone that allows comfort exchanges. I have to allow that even the 44 might not be firm enough, so a money back guarantee would be a good idea too, the second time around.

I have some decisions to make.
This message was modified Sep 18, 2007 by haysdb

Recent Posts