The FrankenBed
Sep 18, 2007 9:17 PM
Foam Nerd
    I initially called my creation the FrankenBed because it was made from "parts." The word is taking on a new meaning, as in, I am creating a monster.

The basic outline was a latex core, an Intelli-Gel topper from MyComfort, and something in between, possibly 2" of Foamex memory foam.

The first major piece to arrive (not counting the foundation on top of a set of Bed Beams), is the latex core. I'll get the Intelli-Gel topper on Monday or Tuesday.

I think I might already have a problem. I ordered an ILD 40 Talatech blend core, and I don't think it's going to be firm enough. I initially ordered a 44 but then changed my mind and went with a 40. I should have stayed with the 44. The core actually tested out at an average ILD of 37.8, but I'm not claiming the 2 points is what makes it too soft. Even on 3 2.8" layers, I can bottom out by sitting down on it hard. It's sitting on a concrete floor covered with carpet and I can definitely feel the floor. At the very least, I need to replace one of the ILD 38 layers, and possibly both.

I can't bottom out all 4 layers, but that's 11" of latex, and support-wise, it feels pretty soft. Laying on my back, it feels very firm, but it feels like my butt sinks down further than it should. In other words it's almost too soft AND too firm at the same time. Too soft for my butt but too firm for my shoulders.

Y'all can go ahead and laugh at me now for thinking I could save money by building my own mattress. Not happenin'. The best that can be said is that maybe my own mistakes can benefit others. I'm debating on what to do. I can be stubborn and order another core, or I can just admit that I made a bad decision and order a support  mattress from someone that allows comfort exchanges. I have to allow that even the 44 might not be firm enough, so a money back guarantee would be a good idea too, the second time around.

I have some decisions to make.
This message was modified Sep 18, 2007 by haysdb
Re: The FrankenBed
Reply #21 Oct 11, 2007 6:58 PM
That 1" 20 ILD FoamByMail has tempted me. I also wonder if 1" would do much. I wish they had a 1.5".
Reply #22 Oct 11, 2007 8:21 PM
Foam Nerd
My Cal King topper arrived today from MyComfort. The shipping company took the E King to ship back.
Reply #23 Oct 15, 2007 11:32 PM
Foam Nerd
I have been sleeping on the 2" of ILD 32 under the Intelli-Gel topper for a few days now and it's just not conforming enough. Support is fine, no issues there. The thing about the Intelli-Gel is that it is actually very firm in areas where there isn't enough localized pressure to collapse the columns, so it needs something soft under it. That's my working theory anyway.

The $64,000 question is how much and of what. The next step down from ILD 32, that I can get at a reasonable price, is ILD 20. MyComfort uses 2.8" of this soft latex in their Single-Gel with latex, so maybe I shouldn't be so "afraid" of it. OTOH Intell-Bed's latex mattress is too soft, so I know it's possible to go too far in that direction. FoamByMail offers 1" talalay, so that's where I think I'm heading. It's what I should have done the first time. 1" of 32 and 1" of 20 would have given me two choices of firmness between 32 which I figured would probably be too firm, and 20 which I figured would be too soft. I could have added one more layer to fine-tune and gotten it exactly right without having to return anything.
Reply #24 Oct 25, 2007 2:43 AM
Foam Nerd
My new toppers arrived today. Rather than just piling them on top of the stack, I pulled out one of the two layers of ILD 40, leaving the 2" of ILD 32, and added the two 1" toppers. One was supposed to be a 32 and the other a 20, but they feel the same to me, both soft, so it looks like they sent me two layers of 20. That's OK.

The net effect is I should have softened up my mattress by a LOT. I want to feel what too soft feels like, then I can firm things back up if need be. I'm trying to keep the mattress to about 12", which gives me up to 8" of latex plus 4" of Intelli-Gel topper and quilted mattress cover.

2.0" 32  -->  2.0" 20
2.8" 40  -->  2.0" 32
2.8" 40  -->  2.8" 40
---------          ---------
7.6"               6.8"

There are several other combinations I can try if this is too soft, including:
  • Replace the 2" of 32 with the 2.8" of 40
  • Remove one of the ILD 20 layers leaving just 1" of 20
  • Move one of the ILD 20 layers under the 2" of 32
Reply #25 Oct 26, 2007 6:21 PM
Foam Nerd
I am now committed to a mattress cover for everything, so I know what I have left to play with in terms of foam layers. I am going to remove the Intelli-Gel overlay from its cover and put it inside the same cover as everything else. This gives me a cover with wool quilted into the cover rather than foam, which might help it sleep a little cooler, and it gets rid of the vinyl layer under the Intelli-Gel. Right or wrong, I just don't like that sheet of plastic in my mattress. I suspect one reason they used vinyl is because of the weight of the Intelli-Gel, which is around 150 lbs for my Cal King. This could pose a problem for me in handling the Intelli-Gel outside the cover, but I'll just have to deal with that.
  • 3.25" Intelli-gel overlay (2.25" of gel plus a ~1" layer of foam that the gel is bonded to in order to maintain it's shape)
  • 5.6" ILD 40 Talalay latex core

I'm told I can fit a maximum of 12" of foam inside my new cover, so I have up to 3" available to play with between the support core and the Intelli-Gel overlay. And herein lies my current dillema. I have two 1" layers of (ostensibly) ILD 20 latex. I would like a bit more cushion. The following options are under consideration:

• Another 1" of soft latex for a total of 3"
  • A 1" layer of ILD 32 latex, the next softest ILD available to me, placed between the 40 and the 20 to provide a small bit of transition between the firm and soft.
  • 2" of memory foam, Foamex Sensus or similar. This would replace one of the 1" layers of latex. This could go on top or under the remaining 1" layer of latex.
  • 1" of memory foam. The only 1" memory foam topper I have ever seen is Foamex Venus. I love this stuff, but it's extremely expensive, and I just don't know how much of an impact just 1" of  memory foam would have on the feel/comfort of the mattress.

I am leaning toward 2" of memory foam from a company offering at least a 30-day comfort guarantee. After all, I don't know if I will even like it. FoamByMail is the least expensive "good" 5# foam I am aware of, but I sure do like the Foamex memory foams. But since this is an "inner layer" of the mattress, it's hard to justify the higher cost for the incremental increase in quality.

This message was modified Oct 26, 2007 by haysdb
Reply #26 Dec 13, 2007 4:08 PM
Foam Nerd
This has been a long and sometimes painful journey, but I believe I have finally arrived at a configuration I'm satisfied with.
  • The magic configuration for me has turned out to be 3" of soft (~ILD 20) latex under the Intelli-Gel overlay. 2" wasn't conforming enough for me. 4" was too much and I lost support. Not coincidentally, the Intelli-Gel w/latex overlay that MyComfort sells is 2.8" of soft latex under the Intelli-Gel. In fact, that is the overlay I recommend. It's unfortunate that they charge an arm and two legs for it, but it's worth calling and asking for a price as the price I paid for mine was a lot lower than what they advertise on their website.
  • Although the 5.6" core of ILD 40 has turned out to be fine (I initially thought it was going to be too soft), I am actually using only half of that, for a total mattress height of just 9". If I was on a solid slat or platform foundation, I might need the additional support layer, but over the flexible slat foundation, the extra thickness not only isn't an advantage, but actually defeats the purpose and function of the flexible slats. With a flexible slat foundation, a mattress thickness of 10" or less seems to work best.
  • Using 1" of soft latex OVER the Intelli-Gel is an option. I have tried it both ways and it just comes down to a subtle matter of preference.

This represents a $2500 mattress and foundation. Not cheap, but this buys a nice flexible slat foundation, 6" of Talalay latex, an Intelli-Gel topper from MyComfort, and a nice stretch-knit cotton and wool case. I expect it to last a good long time.

This message was modified Dec 13, 2007 by haysdb
Reply #27 Dec 13, 2007 6:01 PM
With that amount of cost, do you regret not just getting a Sleepez 10,000 or 13000 model?
Reply #28 Dec 14, 2007 12:09 PM
Foam Nerd
novahelp wrote:
With that amount of cost, do you regret not just getting a Sleepez 10,000 or 13000 model?

That's certainly a fair question. I regret spending as much money as I did, but I'm pleased with what I have ended up with, and I learned a lot along the way.

Reply #29 Dec 14, 2007 1:40 PM
haysdb, did I miss your review of your new 2" <20ILD layer?? Did you think it was softer than the FBM 20 or about the same? Did you like having the 1" 20ILD over the gel or under it?
This message was modified Dec 14, 2007 by donw
Reply #30 Dec 14, 2007 8:51 PM
Foam Nerd
donw wrote:
haysdb, did I miss your review of your new 2" <20ILD layer?? Did you think it was softer than the FBM 20 or about the same? Did you like having the 1" 20ILD over the gel or under it?

The 2" of ILD 16-18 natural talalay from Sleep Warehouse feels exactly the same to me as the two 1" layers I have from FBM, one of which is supposed to be an ILD 20 and the other an ILD 32. To be honest, I don't know what I actually have, and I have no way to find out.

I'm happy with the current configuration (3" ILD 40 as a support layer, 3" ILD 20, then the Intelli-Gel overlay), but I still have two more to try. For tonight I have added the "spare" 1-inch layer on top, just under the fitted sheet. If that's too soft, I can remove 1" from under, leaving 2" under and 1" on top.

Recent Posts