foambymail memory foam - any one tried it or have any info on it?
Oct 23, 2007 1:20 PM
I keep considering this foam, but have no idea what it's like - who makes it, etc. I know haysdb did a big memory foam study a while back and wonder if anyone can speculate about what this stuff is. They say it is pink color, 5.5 lbs/c.f. and 15lbs ILD. That's a fist for me to see an ILD for memory foam. Has anyone bought it?
Re: foambymail memory foam - any one tried it or have any info on it?
Reply #9 Oct 25, 2007 12:47 PM
I agree. They are very slippery...but I just bought into their 2" pink 5.5lb memory foam thru ebay for $138 shipped -  a better deal than their web site. I know that I may be sleeping on some Chinese crap, but I am hopeful because of all the positive feedback on ebay - some that had already bought 3 products. At least they have a return policy. Now, I'm just hoping that it will play well on top of the pocket gel. When I get it in, I'll put the box on the scales - it should weigh 38.7lbs (minus the packing).
This message was modified Oct 25, 2007 by donw
Reply #10 Oct 25, 2007 4:34 PM
Foam Nerd
I'm thinking of buying a 2" topper from them as well. I'd rather have Foamex Venus or Sensus, but Venus is obscenely expensive and the FoamByMail memory foam appears to be only a small step down from Venus Sensus and $90 less expensive. I will check eBay to see if I can get an even better price.

I swear the two 1" toppers I received yesterday from them are the same thing. I sent them an email this morning asking them to check my order and see if it said 1" of 32 and 1" of 20, which is what I intended to order. They said that was correct and I probably couldn't feel the difference because the toppers are only 1" thick. But even if I fold them in half twice so that I'm comparing 4", they still feel the same. I would not expect 20 and 32 to feel anywhere near the same. Neither is marked in any way.

Edit: I said Venus above when I meant Sensus.
This message was modified Oct 26, 2007 by haysdb
Reply #11 Oct 25, 2007 9:52 PM
"the FoamByMail memory foam appears to be only a small step down from Venus"

Is it closer to Venus or Sensus? In what ways?

Reply #12 Oct 26, 2007 3:15 AM
Foam Nerd
donw wrote:
"the FoamByMail memory foam appears to be only a small step down from Venus"

Is it closer to Venus or Sensus? In what ways?

Ack, I meant to say Sensus. Venus is in a league of it's own.

Bare in mind I'm looking at a sample of The Foam Factory "pink" memory foam that's 2"x2"x3", i.e. just a small piece. One can only guess whether it's a representative sample. With those disclaimers out of the way:

1. Foamex Sensus has a remarkably fine and consistent cell structure, as well it should for a product that comes out of a $12M piece of machinery. The Foam Factory foam has a more coarse cell structure, but it's consistent. It's analogous to the difference in the cell structures of Talaly and Dunlop latex.
  2. The two products have a very similar "surface feel" or "texture"
  3. Their recovery characteristics are nearly identical. They are about the same "speed," if you will.
  4. The FoamByMail sample is too small for me to accurately weigh, but it's definitely a ~5 lb memory foam. 5.5? I don't know. Maybe.
  5. This may mean nothing, but the two foams are very nearly the same color.
I am trying again to find out who manufactures their memory foam. Maybe someday someone at FoamByMail will trip up and give me a straight answer to a straight question.
Reply #13 Nov 1, 2007 10:23 PM
Well, my pink foambymail memory foam arrived today, so here are my first impressions. First, I placed the box on my scales (which calibrated using barbells). It weighed between 29 and 30 lbs for an eastern king, which would make the density about 4.2lbs/s.ft. - definitely not 5.5lbs. I was impressed with how readily it reverted to its proper shape. I've read horor stories about CostCo foam staying flat in areas for days, or even forever after being folded and rolled up for shipping - or sitting on a boat from China. It is quite a slow foam, but I can not tell it's reaction to temperature - will it be harder in a cold room? (I live in Arizona, and it's still not cold at night.) It does seem to have a fairly fine, even cell structure, although I can see the occasional larger gap. It does have quite a strong oder, but not as strong as I've heard others talk about - It doesn't stink up my whole room. I am so anxious to sleep on it that I'll probably do so tonight, in spite of the smell. Full report tomorrow.
Reply #14 Nov 2, 2007 1:39 AM
Foam Nerd
Interesting about the density. That's a rather large discrepancy - almost 25% less than claimed. Does it measure a full 2" thick? A small variation there can have a major impact on the calculation. Something else to be aware of is that a typical bathroom scale may not be very accurate at 30 lbs. But no way would it be off by as much as 10 lbs. A piece of 5.5 lb density foam that size should weigh ~39 lbs.
Reply #15 Nov 2, 2007 2:32 PM
I calibrated my scales with 26# of barbells, so it is pretty accurate at 29. The foam is maybe a hair thicker than 2", and it is around 1/2" larger than my mattress all around. So it is really more like a 4lb foam. Well we slept on it last night, and I slept really well - no back pain or arm falling asleep. I had my wife measure the amount my hip is sinking in to this bed - around 6". So the gel is still doing it's job and buckling. I love the way the memory foam follows your body exactly, supporting your lower back area. I can tell that this foam will sleap hot in the summer. It was a little warm last night at times.
Reply #16 Nov 17, 2007 2:52 PM
I just received a 3" Queen 5.5lbs from Foam By Mail.  The package I received is labelled 46lbs but weights about 35.  Basically I received 4lb foam as did the poster above.  I purchased off of their website and then Price Matched their foambymail ebay auction that references measurement of density by cubic foot not the foambymail_usa which is per 2 cubic feet.   I went to fatwallet and checked out the "Cheaper-Peadic" thread (search for emattress) and found many people with the same issue.  It appears this has begun this year.  My quandry is, if I had not PMed to the ebay price and thus paid the full online price I wonder if they would have sent me the correct foam?

haysdb, man if you find a way to roughly get the density of that irregular foambymail sample that would be sweet.  I meen if their sample was low weight that would pretty much be the answer, hah.
Reply #17 Nov 17, 2007 3:07 PM
Make sure and give them a negative feedback for misrepresenting their product. I will, too.
Reply #18 Nov 17, 2007 4:34 PM
Foam Nerd
The larger of my two samples is between 1.3 and 1.4 oz according to my analog postal scale. Figuring it would not be accurate at the lowest end of the scale, I first placed a weight on it then added the foam on top. I measured it at three different points on the scale and all were within the above range.

The sample is not precisely regular in shape. I measured the minimums and maximums with a stainess steel ruler marked to a 1/16".

Min: 3 13/16 x 3  7/8  x 1 7/8 = 27.7 in3

Max: 4       x 3 15/16 x 2 1/8 = 33.5 in3

Avg                              30.6 in3

The density of my sample is ~4.75 lbs/ft3

Notes:
  • I can make no claim for the accuracy of my postal scale. If it's off by 10% that could add or subtract almost .5 lb to or from the calculated density.
  • The volume in cubic feet is  (12 x 12 x 12) / the volume in cubic inches.
  • Oz are divided by 16 to get the weight in lbs.

Recent Posts