foambymail memory foam - any one tried it or have any info on it?
Oct 23, 2007 1:20 PM
I keep considering this foam, but have no idea what it's like - who makes it, etc. I know haysdb did a big memory foam study a while back and wonder if anyone can speculate about what this stuff is. They say it is pink color, 5.5 lbs/c.f. and 15lbs ILD. That's a fist for me to see an ILD for memory foam. Has anyone bought it?
Re: foambymail memory foam - any one tried it or have any info on it?
Reply #1 Oct 23, 2007 6:24 PM
Foam Nerd
This was something I posted in the old forum. My best guess is Foamex subsidiary Premier Foam, but I could as easily be wrong as right.

The Foam Factory sells a 5.5 lb memory foam they describe as...

• 5.5LB Memory Foam (PINK)
  • ViscoMAX
  • Made in USA
  • Fluidly responsive to a broader range of temperatures for a smoother, gradual shift in firmness.
  • Finer cell structure offers softer, more luxurious feel that better relieves pressure points, and increases circulation for a deep rejuvenating sleep.
  • High tech forming process allows for excellent consistency, quality, and the process is environmentally friendly.
  • 15 ILD
  • Recovery (average in seconds) 30

Reading between the lines...
  • Foamex Sensus is "trademark pink". What U.S. manufacturer would tread on a Foamex trademark?
  • ViscoMAX? MAXFOAM is a Beamech trademark for a continuous process slabstock machine that utilizes the Maxfoam technology. It's not a Variable Pressure Foaming machine, but it's high tech for a non-VPF machine.
  • "Fluidly responsive to a wider range of temperatures", "Finer cell structure," and "High tech forming process" all sound like something you would see in a Foamex ad for Sensus.
  • I have come across multiple websites claiming to sell "5.3 lb Sensus"
I don't for a minute think this is "real Sensus," because it's priced way below Sensus and is a different density and a higher ILD, but I do strongly suspect this is a product of a Foamex subsidiary like Premier Foam, Inc. What other foam maker in the U.S. can meet these criteria? One other possibility is Hickory Springs Mfg, which I know VERY little about other than they make a 15 ILD 5 lb foam and possibly something even a bit more dense.

I intend to call them tomorrow and ask.

Update: No go. "We can't give out that information." Only confirmation that it's pink and made in the U.S.A., and they don't sell samples.
Reply #2 Oct 23, 2007 8:19 PM
haysdb, I remember that you received some samples from foam factory. Is there any way you could weigh them (maybe with a postage scale) and estimate their densities? I saw an old post on the old forum by Sager66 saying that foam factory measured their density by 2ft instead of 1ft - half the weight!!
Reply #3 Oct 23, 2007 9:29 PM
More fishyness for foam factory. Here is an ebay ad of theirs. Here, they say that they measure density by 12x12x24" piece. And the 5.5 lbs they sell on ebay is white- not pink. I sent them an ebay info request pointing this out. We'll see if I hear back.
Reply #4 Oct 24, 2007 2:44 AM
Foam Nerd
donw wrote:
haysdb, I remember that you received some samples from foam factory. Is there any way you could weigh them (maybe with a postage scale) and estimate their densities? I saw an old post on the old forum by Sager66 saying that foam factory measured their density by 2ft instead of 1ft - half the weight!!

Ack, thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten that I had two samples from The Foam Factory / Foam By Mail.

My "pink" sample is small and somewhat irregularly shaped, so calculating the density is iffy, but I am comfortable in saying it IS a true 5 lb density foam, and very well could be 5.5 lb. This is a very slow, almost "gooey" memory foam.

Comparing it side by side with Foamex Sensus does nothing to change my mind about who makes it. It's for sure NOT Sensus, but it's quite similar. The color is different for starters (it's a different shade of pink), and the cell structure is not as fine, but it has a consistent cell structure. The "feel" of the two is very similar. Density, surface texture, and recovery time are definitely similar. I obviously have no way of testing ILD, but I'd bet 15 is overstated. I would call it slightly softer than Sensus, which is a 13 according to my notes.

I would rather have Sensus, but for the price, which is about a third less than Sensus from SleepWarehouse, this looks like a nice foam.

Their white memory foam is a step down in quality IMO, assuming what I have is a representative sample. The cell structure is not as consistent and it is very soft. Again, I can't calculate density with any accuracy, but this feels something sub-4 lb to me, and it wouldn't surprise me if it were 3.5 or even less. Maybe this is the 5.5 lb eBay foam they sell.
This message was modified Oct 24, 2007 by haysdb
Reply #5 Oct 24, 2007 3:08 AM
haysdb, I forget. Do you have a sample of Isoform? If so, how does it compare?
Reply #6 Oct 24, 2007 3:23 AM
Foam Nerd
donw wrote:
More fishyness for foam factory. Here is an ebay ad of theirs. Here, they say that they measure density by 12x12x24" piece. And the 5.5 lbs they sell on ebay is white- not pink. I sent them an ebay info request pointing this out. We'll see if I hear back.

Whoa, now this is weird.

Compare this listing by FoamByMail with this listing by FoamByMail_USA.

What's going on here?
Reply #7 Oct 25, 2007 1:16 AM
foamfactory responded to my ebay question about their measurements. They said that they do measure differently on their ebay ads than their store.
Reply #8 Oct 25, 2007 2:10 AM
Foam Nerd
donw wrote:
foamfactory responded to my ebay question about their measurements. They said that they do measure differently on their ebay ads than their store.

I sent the following question to eBay user foambymail:

Q: "Who is FoamByMail_USA? Their listings look the same as yours except their foam is half the density (even though it's called 5.5 lb foam). What's going on?"

A: "The company foambymail_usa is measured by two cubic feet, while foambymail is measured by one cubic foot."

FoamByMail, without the _USA on the end, is density per cubic foot.

This company is enigmatic. They actually have some good products at good prices, but they are a slippery bunch, quite happy to stretch the truth when it suits them.
I now own three of their talalay latex toppers and all seem to be of perfectly reasonable quality, but they have given me no reason to trust them. Example: They said (and maybe still do) on their website that their toppers were "Made in USA." That's a really loose use of the phrase since the latex itself is manufactured in either the U.K. or the Netherlands. The toppers are only fabricated in the U.S. When I asked them where they bought their latex, I was told "from a U.S. company." Translation: they buy their latex from a U.S. distributor. I finally asked "OK, where is your latex MANUFACTURED?" At that point I was told "I don't know where it comes from" one time and "I can't give out that information" on another occasion. Caveat emptor.
Reply #9 Oct 25, 2007 12:47 PM
I agree. They are very slippery...but I just bought into their 2" pink 5.5lb memory foam thru ebay for $138 shipped -  a better deal than their web site. I know that I may be sleeping on some Chinese crap, but I am hopeful because of all the positive feedback on ebay - some that had already bought 3 products. At least they have a return policy. Now, I'm just hoping that it will play well on top of the pocket gel. When I get it in, I'll put the box on the scales - it should weigh 38.7lbs (minus the packing).
This message was modified Oct 25, 2007 by donw
Reply #10 Oct 25, 2007 4:34 PM
Foam Nerd
I'm thinking of buying a 2" topper from them as well. I'd rather have Foamex Venus or Sensus, but Venus is obscenely expensive and the FoamByMail memory foam appears to be only a small step down from Venus Sensus and $90 less expensive. I will check eBay to see if I can get an even better price.

I swear the two 1" toppers I received yesterday from them are the same thing. I sent them an email this morning asking them to check my order and see if it said 1" of 32 and 1" of 20, which is what I intended to order. They said that was correct and I probably couldn't feel the difference because the toppers are only 1" thick. But even if I fold them in half twice so that I'm comparing 4", they still feel the same. I would not expect 20 and 32 to feel anywhere near the same. Neither is marked in any way.

Edit: I said Venus above when I meant Sensus.
This message was modified Oct 26, 2007 by haysdb

Recent Posts